OtakuBoards

Dead Rising

Ellerby

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]This game has got to be [i]the[/i] best zombie game ever made. Click [url=http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/748/748396.html]here[/url] for some videos on it and you'll immediately know why.

[center][img]http://www.spieletester.com/uploads/tests/xbox360/Dead_Rising/deadrising_logo.jpg[/img][/center]

Basically you're a photographer who's dropped off by helicopter at this mall. Your to be picked up in 72 hours (5 minutes real time for every 1 hour game time). Here's the catch. You ready?

The mall is filled with zombies. There has got to be at least a thousand. Basically you run around (this being in the first mode you can choose) the mall finding civilians and killing zombies. Mainly killing zombies, though.

What do you kill them with? Everything. Your hands, baseball bats, soccerballs, teddy bears, drills, bowling balls, cars, wood, golf clubs, other zombies, you name it.

I only got to play it for like 2 hours since my friend is the one who owns the 360, but dang was it fun. And it was just as fun to watch as it was to play. If you haven't already, rent it. It's great.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#8B0000]I haven't played the game yet, but the trailer is awesome. When I first saw it, I immediately thought of State Of Emergency, but as I read more about it I realised it's more than that. The fact that there are instances where you have to help or protect other civilians verifies this, and proves that it's not just another close minded hack and slash.

About the trailer though, there was something I saw in it that had Resident Evil 2 written all over it... you know, in the gun shop.[/color] :animeswea

Man, two (well, three if you count the one I closed) Xbox 360 game threads in one day. Awesome.

The cool thing about Dead Rising is that it sort of reminds me of the very start of Resident Evil 4 when all of the villagers are pursuing Leon. Although the zombies in Dead Rising are slow and stupid in comparison to the villagers, the general sense of urgency and madness is there.

What I'm most impressed with is how the developers balanced the silliness with compelling drama. One minute you're putting a Serve Bot head on a zombie, and the next moment you're sitting through a really well-told cut scene. Dead Rising is probably the best-acted zombie game I've played--and that surprised me.

The replay value is great too. I love how you can't really see everything the first time through, and how new modes open up once you've completed the main story. There are also a ton of secret weapons and nice little touches you can find (like mixing ingredients to impact your spit's deadliness). I also got a kick out of the "Jill's Sandwiches" store in the mall. heh

Some people have complained about the time restraints, but without that focus, I find that the game's fun wears out pretty fast. I couldn't really bear playing through infinite mode for too long.

I did find the radio conversations awkwardly executed since you cannot attack or carry other characters while talking.

Lastly, it's confirmed: the archaic save system sucks.

Otherwise, Dead Rising is great and much better than I expected and it did a good job of capturing the feel of a zombie movie. I even thought that the achievements were much better implemented than in most 360 games.

[quote name='Charles']Lastly, it's confirmed: the archaic save system sucks.[/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]That... is true. I can't really counter that.

I think the main thing Dead Rising has got going for itself is how [strike]completely awesome[/strike] original it is. Seriously, there have been zombie games before (Resident Evil, Silent Hill to name a few) but none where you could throw a bowling ball at one zombie and turn around with a golf club and ***** slap another one! It's great!

It's also just so much fun. There's just something about slaughtering walking corpses that makes my day.

[b]EDIT:[/b] VGCats has made a comic making fun of Dead Rising. Click [url=http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=206]Here[/url].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#99121c][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma][b]EDIT:[/b] VGCats has made a comic making fun of Dead Rising. Click [url=http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=206]Here[/url].[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

You know for me that is just a little bit too true.

I think it happened once when I was in the northern section of the mall where there were so many zombies that there could might as well been some kind of Zombie [spoiler] orgie[/spoiler], He goes up and calls me and I just wanted to... kill him to bad I can't though.

Well I really can't play as often as I would like, but I really do love this game. I do find it repetitive at many times, but just keep comming back for more. I love how you can do just about anything you want with the zombies, and since their so stupid it just makes me want to cry.

About the saving system though, I think it said somewhere in the manual that there were more places than that one bed to save at, but so far I haven't been able to find anything. It sucks.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=#99121c][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]About the saving system though, I think it said somewhere in the manual that there were more places than that one bed to save at, but so far I haven't been able to find anything. It sucks.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Look on the map. Wherever you see a big, bold "S" you can save. Typically save points are located in bathrooms. You see, the system is less than ideal though because you're only given one save point. Because you're working within such a rigid schedule-based system, where you can totally screw up if you're not completing a task on time, you're pretty much screwed if you accidentally save a game where you don't have enough time to reach one of the primary case files. At that point, if you want to see the real ending and unlock other modes, you have to restart the game. You get to keep your stats, but it's still a problem.

I've never suffered from a bad save, but it's something I shouldn't have to worry about at this point.

And that comic is basically so true that it's hardly a parody. I can be carrying a survivor on my back through a horde of zombies and Otis will chastize me for cutting him off because it's "rude."

This game is fun as hell, especially when equipped with a guitar, slegehammer, and a katana all at once. I can't wait to find a chainsaw... which is where my problem comes in. I suck at this game pretty badly, and the lack of save stations is simply brutal. I've had to go back to just after opening the air ducks like 10 times already and its annoying as hell.

It doesn't help that my brothers and I have to share a file >_>

Guest Soul Dragon7
[COLOR=Green]I never actullay beat the game, but I did rent it and I thought it rocked. Capcom definitly know what people want in a zombie game. I couldn't help but love the fact that you could use practically anything that wasn't nailed down. I have to be honest, at first I thought it sucked because I kept dying, over and over again. But I soon came to realize, you can't play this game like every other game. Don't just concentrate on completing the story, or filling in the blanks. You acomplish so much more just running around and beating the crap out of zombies.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Green]
I couldn't help feeling great after killing 350 zombies the first time you encounter them. I went around and just started killing zombies, and i realized I was getting more done that way. I loved it. The picture taking I thought was tough at times but still enjoyable. I even found a [SPOILER]Mega-Man arm cannon gun[/SPOILER] and killed zombies with that. The frying pan, baseball bat, chainsaw, and even shotguns are just some of the weapons I used, and I probably would have used more if I had more time. This is definitly a must-have zombie killing game.[/COLOR]

I had a chance to play it a couple of weeks ago, and boy was I surprised! I thought it would be a walk in the park, just picking up random stuff to kill the zombies with, but boy was I surprised. The game actually offered a good level of difficulty, in which it's not too hard to kill the zombies, but there are so many that it's pretty easy to get swarmed. Overall though, it's a totally kick-*** game! If you havn't yet had the pleasure of trying it, rent it! (or just download to demo off of xbox live marketplace).