OtakuBoards

North Korea: A Danger to The World?

Esther

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Wow, so now North Korea and "Kimmy" (arguably the funniest thing I've heard in ages) potentially have a tiny nuclear arsenal with which they might eventually try to take on the United States and Japan, both of whom have arsenals far larger and more sophisticated than the Koreans. Perhaps it's the cold here, but I'm not liking North Korea's chances of actually being able to win this fight without being turned into a nuclear wasteland.

While Kim Jong Il may be the typical example of a Third World dictator, he along with his counterparts in Africa mouth off against the West and occasionally try and flex a bicep before they're *****-slapped back down into their place. If the jumpsuit wearing freak thinks this does him any benefit he's sadly mistaken, as he's managed to get China from being a neutral "supporter" if that makes sense, to openly criticising him.

As for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, originally I thought Truman was wrong to order the two strikes, but as Ken has pointed out repeatedly, both America's and Japan's losses on a full blown invasion would have been considerably higher (civilians included) than the deaths from "big boy" and the Enola Gay. It was the lesser of two evils, and if war that's often the only choice you have.

[Sarcasm]On a side note, why don't we just send in Team America to take him out, they did a great job in the movie ?[/Sarcasm][/SIZE]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Wow, so now North Korea and "Kimmy" (arguably the funniest thing I've heard in ages) potentially have a tiny nuclear arsenal with which they might eventually try to take on the United States and Japan, both of whom have arsenals far larger and more sophisticated than the Koreans. Perhaps it's the cold here, but I'm not liking North Korea's chances of actually being able to win this fight without being turned into a nuclear wasteland.

While Kim Jong Il may be the typical example of a Third World dictator, he along with his counterparts in Africa mouth off against the West and occasionally try and flex a bicep before they're *****-slapped back down into their place. If the jumpsuit wearing freak thinks this does him any benefit he's sadly mistaken, as he's managed to get China from being a neutral "supporter" if that makes sense, to openly criticising him.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] I fundamentally agree with you, but I also believe there are technicalities that people miss when they view this topic. Most of the people here are blowing Kim Jon Il off as a attention-hungry dictator and needs to be put in his place. Yeah, that's probably true, but "*****-slapping" third-world countries back into their place only increases the schism between the western/eastern struggle.

And what I'm about to say isn't directed at anyone in this thread, it's just that pisses me off. There's so many people at my school blowing off North Korea as something trivial and too unimportant for the US to deal with. This is possibly the biggest bull I've heard in a while. There are eight countries that haven't signed onto the CWC convention, and the threat they pose cannot be dismissed by claiming their weapons are less sophisticated or that they're too poor to do anything. World leaders and organizations need to be going into those problems [b]now[/b].

The whole "the US is world's only superpower lol" attitude is such a ***** for other countries to deal with, and part of the reason Kim is acting up so much is because we haven't been dealing with him properly. North Korean officials don't believe George W. Bush takes them seriously, and I doubt he truly does. [/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] And what I'm about to say isn't directed at anyone in this thread, it's just that pisses me off. There's so many people at my school blowing off North Korea as something trivial and too unimportant for the US to deal with. This is possibly the biggest bull I've heard in a while. There are eight countries that haven't signed onto the CWC convention, and the threat they pose cannot be dismissed by claiming their weapons are less sophisticated or that they're too poor to do anything. World leaders and organizations need to be going into those problems [b]now[/b].

The whole "the US is world's only superpower lol" attitude is such a ***** for other countries to deal with, and part of the reason Kim is acting up so much is because we haven't been dealing with him properly. North Korean officials don't believe George W. Bush takes them seriously, and I doubt he truly does. [/color][/QUOTE]I know you aren?t pointing fingers, but I get a different impression than you do from people?s posts. For starters the original poster was basically saying that North Korea was a terrible threat that needs to be dealt with in a more severe manner than the current talks and sanctions. Which by the way if you read here: [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6051704.stm]Sanctions[/URL] you can see that the world is taking them seriously and actually doing something about it. The world leaders and organizations are going over the problems and working on a solution. These things take time, they don?t happen immediately. And like my mom said: [quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Anyway, I still think people are worrying over North Korea too much.[/quote]I agree and I think others here agree as well. It is an issue, but it is far from being a total crisis. So I really just don?t see the point in getting worked up over something that isn?t a big issue yet. People aren?t blowing North Korea off, they are simply refusing to panic or get overly upset over something that doesn?t require that type of response yet. What they are doing is working on more peaceful solutions instead of outright going to war with North Korea. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I know you aren?t pointing fingers, but I get a different impression than you do from people?s posts. For starters the original poster was basically saying that North Korea was a terrible threat that needs to be dealt with in a more severe manner than the current talks and sanctions. Which by the way if you read here: [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6051704.stm]Sanctions[/URL'] you can see that the world is taking them seriously and actually doing something about it. The world leaders and organizations are going over the problems and working on a solution. These things take time, they don?t happen immediately. And like my mom said: I agree and I think others here agree as well. It is an issue, but it is far from being a total crisis. So I really just don?t see the point in getting worked up over something that isn?t a big issue yet. People aren?t blowing North Korea off, they are simply refusing to panic or get overly upset over something that doesn?t require that type of response yet. What they are doing is working on more peaceful solutions instead of outright going to war with North Korea. [/COLOR][/quote]

[color=dimgray]
I know governments around the world are concerned and want to deal with North Korea seriously, but seeing so many US residents blowing North Korea off as a trivial manner is irritating. There is a huge difference between "getting worked up" and being concerned about the issue. And going off on that, if North Korea did become a 'worthwhile' target for the US, believing that the US could easily destroy them and go on their merry way is just an exmaple of why so many Eastern countries hate us. The attitude of US citizens concerning the North Korea conflict represents what we think of our country's ultimate power, and it's not helping.

I am not criticizing those who choose not to worry/panic over this situation. I am criticizing those who believe it's not even a meritable threat and choose to view it as trivial.

I already said in my first post that sanctions have merit, but when they fail we need to take further action. And they have, seeing as North Korea has been under sanctions for about fifty years. And when I say "further action", I don't mean military attack. The US should be making strides for George W. Bush to go to North Korea himself. Leaks like Bush insulting Kim Jon Il only worsen the conflict.

The whole bit about world leaders and organizations getting into the nuclear weapons programs, while including North Korea, also included countries such as Syria, Somalia, etc. (ones who haven't signed onto the CWC convention).

[/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] I fundamentally agree with you, but I also believe there are technicalities that people miss when they view this topic. Most of the people here are blowing Kim Jon Il off as a attention-hungry dictator and needs to be put in his place. Yeah, that's probably true, but "*****-slapping" third-world countries back into their place only increases the schism between the western/eastern struggle.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]In relation to the "*****-slapping" comment, I was talking about the leaders themselves as opposed to their nations, I generally feel those guys have a rotten end of the stick to have such kinds of people in government. Leaders like Kimmy and his ilk generally need to be cut down a few sizes as to prevent them getting too arrogant in their own minds as to go making demonstrations of their "power".[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sandy]Honestly, I'm many times more worried about the amount of nuclear weapons that USA has in stock than whatever North Korea has.
[/QUOTE]

[size="1"][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Weapons analysts and scientists have speculated that over half of America's nuclear stockpile [7000 weapons? 2000? Lots? I can't remember. I'll come back with a reference] is currently defunct and past its use-by date.

Oh, by the year 2010 it will all be so much radioactive trash. Nuclear scientists are currently being taught how to make more. Nuclear weapons knowledge, because of the Cold War and the threat of Moles, was often only contained in the minds of the scientists who built them.

Who are now mostly dead.

[Pacifists say yeah! Glory to the inevitable onset of age!]

I'm guessing that's another possible [entirely ludicrous] reason why someone is a little concerned about N. Korea's possible nuclear stockpile.

The only ethical way to respond to this "threat" is to heavily invest in missile shield defense systems and [i]react[/i] to an act of war.

It'd be nice, if there were an international situation, if the "Coalition of the Willing" didn't start it.

There honestly isn't much that can be done about N. Korea. Sanctions on weapons proliferation are a good idea, but should have already been in place.

People much more quick on the uptake than I have already mentioned the issue of the propaganda machine and indoctrination that is happening. [Go China! I mean, North Korea!].

War and conflict has purposes. In defending our rights, our wives, our children, our people and our property. Sometimes we have to do it for others, whether we do that or not depends on our democratically [ideally] elected governments. [/FONT][/size]