OtakuBoards

I got a GBA with SMSC!!!!! ................err, .............And I have a question!!

Fall

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]I don't know. I remember reading, I think in the newest EGM(could be wrong) that the Saturn launch was a failure. By releasing it too early, it became totally botched.

How would you say that Playstation was miserable at first? Saleswise, you could be right, but I'm referring to game quality rather than sales figures.

Granted, it was a wild card system with no credibility, but the initial launch titles weren't so bad. Tekken was easily superior to Virtua Fighter(well, that's based on opinion) and Ridge Racer was more than a match for Virtua Racing Deluxe. I take that back if Daytona was already out at launch though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Saleswise, the PSX launch wasn't a failure, but it was incredibly flat.

And within the first year, the PSX didn't come close to Saturn in terms of sales. Remember -- Sega had just come down from the days of the Genesis, which were huge. The Saturn carried a lot of weight in terms of its branding (which later proved to go down the toilet).

As for your game comparisons, I agree that Ridge Racer was better than Virtua Racing Deluxe (even though Daytona and Sega Rally were released soon after, if not on, launch).

But in terms of general franchises, Sega had the right combination. At the time, Virtua Fighter 2 had a larger name in the industry. Tekken would, of course, become a bigger title in future years.

But after that first year, things went in the opposite direction for both Sega and Sony.

Sony started to get the great third party franchises, while Sega started retreating in the other direction.

Oh well, as I said, it's a shame that the Saturn's failure tainted the Dreamcast in such a profound way.[/size]