OtakuBoards

American Idol 2007

Dhampir

I'm sure that if you live in America, then you have at least heard of American Idol. If not, I am aware that most other countries have their own version of it. So I'm asking you all what you think of it. Do you like/hate it? Would you consider auditioning? What are your thoughts generally about it?

I just figured that as big as the show is, I'm sure that some of you must watch it.

What is my opinion?

I've watched the show with my mother, every episode, for the past 2 seasons. I am a singer, and an emense(sp?) lover of just about every type of music, therefore it interests me. I am espically interested now that a 'rock' artist got so succesfull. At first the only genres being played were R&B, Pop, Country, and Jazz, and although I appreciate all of those (except most country), I really get excited now watching artists like Constantine and Chris Daughtry. I am actually planning on auditioning the summer before I go to college. I have been singing all of my life, and although I'm not that confident (which can be a good thing, if you see all of the overconfident contestants who can not sing a note, then argue with the judges which is my biggest pet peeve) I still believe that I have a good chance. I'm not really expecting to win, but if a band who is into the music that I like to sing sees me, then I might still have a carrer.

Anyways, what do you all think?

Finland has the funny situation that we actually have both the "American Idol" as well as our own "Idols" running on TV at the same time (not simultaneously, but I think you get what I mean).

If I had to compare, the American version has much better singers, at least in the finals, but it's also much more cruel in ridiculing the contestants, and I gotta say that some of the auditioners just aren't from this world... X/ I'm just wondering, since all the winners are such good singers and performers, that would they have [I]really[/I] needed to go to the show to success in their singing career? It's the easy way up, yes, but I think hard work pays itself off by making the success last longer.

As for the Finnish version, it's much more toned down, the singers aren't that great at least in the semifinals where we're at, and the viewer-base is constructed from teenage girls for a large part, resulting to such things that last year, a "funny guy" won over a girl who could really sing. It was a big shame, but teenagers are a force to be reckoned with when they get to vote. XP

For me, I like Idols, just like I do almost all big reality-contests. The drama and the emotions are just overwhelming, something you wouldn't see in a fully acted show.

I think that the first few episodes are really funny, but I have to wonder which are paid to act like retards from the ones that actually think they can be the next american idol.

And if it wasnt for the judges like simon to be pricks and overly honest, then the show probebly wouldnt be doing so well. Nah, Ide never audition in a million years.

I think that whats her face, the female judge should be in rehab, it seems she shows up drunk all the time, but it also seems that Simon is beginning to not care and have fun with it.

Its interesting to watch, but i dont take it to seriously

I only watch Idol when it's in it's beginning stages and then I'm only watching to see Simon hand out the harsh crit to those who can't sing.

The there are the ridiculously stupid auditions that make you wonder if the auditionees are just trying to get on television. Who seriously thinks they can win the comp dressed as a cow?

Our New Zealand show sucks by comparison, althought I believe it's more a case of brain-dead voters than lack of talent ora poison-tongued Simon. Our Idols are forgettable and seem to have only got there in order to contradict the judges. Thus, our Idol this year dodn't even get a recording contract, because the producers know the public don't even give a hoot about supporting their "idol" after the shows ended.

Same here. I only watch the auditions. After that, I don't really see a point in watching it anymore.

[quote name='Dhampir']I am actually planning on auditioning the summer before I go to college. I have been singing all of my life, and although I'm not that confident (which can be a good thing, if you see all of the overconfident contestants who can not sing a note, then argue with the judges which is my biggest pet peeve) I still believe that I have a good chance.[/quote]
Good luck with that. I for one will never participate in it for 2 reasons. 1) I know I can't sing (even though I had music class back in elementary, and passed with an A, and I never kept with it.) and won't ever go on something just to make myself look like an idiot like so many of these contestants. 2) I don't care for the spotlight.

Now, I'll watch So You Think You Can Dance every time it comes on. But I guess that's a topic for some other time. :)