OtakuBoards

Dennou Coil

Dagger

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denno_Coil][u]Dennou[/u][/url] [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6278][u]Coil[/u][/url] is a new children's series directed by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuo_Iso][u]Mitsuo Iso[/u][/url]. Probably the best example of his work is episode 15 of RahXephon, but either way, he's a long-time & highly respected animator.

The links above can give you a better sense of what the show is about than I could. It's not condescending or cheap, the way some children's programs can be--it's not a stretch to say that it has the flavor of a Ghibli production. The intersection of the real and virtual worlds is quirkily and richly imagined.

This is also the anime to go to if you love pure animation. It doesn't stand apart by virtue of being slicker than usual; it takes advantage of the fact that characters don't have to move in generic ways, that motion itself can contribute to characterization. On that level, it's a joy to watch.

Anyway, I recommend the heck out of Dennou Coil. Let's cross our fingers and hope the budget-eating monkeys don't get to it.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Damn! i was hoping I'd get to post this once I got to see the first episode, but oh well. I guess it's your turn this time. Makes more sense, since all yours seem to get more attention >_<

In any event, I only have one hang up about this series and that's the character designs. i can't stand them at all -- not that the animation doesn't look outstanding, but dear god... but then I remember how jarred I was at Nodame cantabile's cast, and I think... well, hell.

Besides, everyone and their freaking grandma is talking about how great this show is, including you now. Plus, I heard the word 'Lain' thrown up in the air, so now I'm practically forced to check it out. I will post/edit after seeing ep 1.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']Damn! i was hoping I'd get to post this once I got to see the first episode, but oh well.[/COLOR][/quote]
Kukuku... :catgirl:

I badly want my own Densuke & Oyaji. Using Densuke in the storyline won me over to an almost shameful extent--I guess I'm a dog person at heart. I almost teared up when they showed Yuuko meeting him for the first time, and [spoiler]he reacted with shyness and fear instead of bounding all over her right away.[/spoiler] His weird design just makes him cuter.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Grah! for some reason, I can't copy and paste things from my blog, even when trying to edit it. i just typed a maniacally huge entry on my first impression of this show, but I can't repost it here. If you want to see me thoughts on ep. 1, just follow the link to my blog in my sig.[/COLOR]

At times in episode 2, I wasn't sure whether or not I'd accidentally switched to a horror series. Damn, that Mega-baa is scary. :animesmil

I'm surprised the animation quality hasn't slipped yet, although chances are there'll be plenty of that later.

~Dagger~

• 5 months later...
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Coil"][u]Wikipedia Article[/u][/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyLPDs6RlXE"][u] First episode on Youtube[/u][/URL]

Summary from Wikipedia: In 2026, eleven years after the introduction of internet-connected augmented reality eyeglasses and visors, Yūko Okonogi moves with her family to the city of Daikoku, the technological center of the emerging half-virtual world. Yūko joins her grandmother's "investigation agency" comprised of children equipped with virtual tools and powerful metatags. She quickly crosses paths with Yūko Amasawa, an expert hacker of the virtual environment, as Amasawa relentlessly seeks to gain the powers of a mysterious cyber-entity known as Michiko. The protagonists are driven to unravel the mysteries of the virtual world in the shadow of a powerful hacker that came before them.

I originally found out about this series in an article in Newtype.I found it on Youtube recently and started watching it, and I'm really enjoying it. ^_^ Both the opening and ending themes are excellent, there's decent animation and seiyuu work, and an interesting premise as well.

• 2 months later...
Watched the second half of the series today. There were times when the pacing didn't sit that great with me, but I wouldn't change a thing about it... it's a show that feels exactly right in pretty much every aspect, even if that means it doesn't press all my personal buttons.

I saw someone mention in a thread on another forum that Dennou Coil's core plot is similar to the plot of the Utena movie--and I had to pick my jaw off the floor, because that comparison is so spot on, it's scary. Unexpected (yet bizarrely accurate) Utena parallels aside, though, I did find it amusing that the main conflict of the show boils down to Isako having [spoiler]a raging onii-chan[/spoiler] complex. :animeswea

I really did like Isako very much, though. Haraken was wonderful, too, and Yasako's grandpa has to be the most adorable (or dare I say moe!?) old man I've seen in any anime. But the beard episode still beats everything else hands down, of course.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
So does this get much better once you get past, say, five episodes? I was super into seeing this, as I had the impression it would be like a sci fi version of Spirited Away. I found it to be fairly boring though and uninteresting, and gave it up after only three episodes. Should I pick it back up again?

If you found the first few episodes to be boring, I wouldn't suggest continuing with the rest. It's not one of those shows where huge changes in plot/style/direction come later on, so I don't think the slog would be worth it.

That said, I highly recommend watching episode 12, which stands on its own pretty well and is epic and awesome (and funny!) in a way that the rest of the series never quite manages to match.

~Dagger~