OtakuBoards

Wow...

Fish

This place has really changed over the years. Nicer than what it was. So I bet nobody wil remeber me, but I just wanna comment about how this place has changed a for the better obviously.

[B]The Fish is Back![/B]

[quote name='Fish']This place has really changed over the years. Nicer than what it was. So I bet nobody wil remeber me, but I just wanna comment about how this place has changed a for the better obviously.

[B]The Fish is Back![/B][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]So it has. Welcome back; I remember you. (You might remember me as Cera.)

You know what you should do? You should write short [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55820]article[/url] about your history here... or anything else you can remember from back in the day. It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

Maybe something about "evil twin" accounts. You had one of those, didn't you?[/color]

[color=#606060]Thanks for the compliment - OB is in the early stages of a revolution, methinks. ~_^

A lot is changing and a lot will be changed. I'm preparing the site for new growth in the future. New design is coming through, a different approach to rules/members, major software upgrades and a new version that will take advantage of all of the above and be new from scratch.

Hope you enjoy the place, Fish. :catgirl: [/color]

[quote name='Treble']Hey it's the Great Wind Fish! Welcome back! I remember you and your silliness back in the old days. It's cool to see old faces come back every now and then. Hope you still stick around for a while. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think i've grown up quite a bit. I look back at my old posts and wonder what I was on. But than again that was basically four years ago.

I'm glad to see people still remember me.

Guest Copycatalyst
It instates in the rules that one cannot post "I'm back threads." Thus why is this thread still open?

[quote name='Copycatalyst']It instates in the rules that one cannot post "I'm back threads." Thus why is this thread still open?[/QUOTE]

c'mon don't ruin everyone's sense of nostalgia. you would see this kind of stuff in other forums ALL the time. welcome to the internet, where the rules of a forum are never followed to a T and if someone happens to bend or stretch the rules, within permissible bounds, someone is bound to call you on it. i've seen entire sections of threads dedicateed to those wanting to introduce themselves, reintroducing themselves, re re reintroducing themselves....you get the picture right? so take it easy, catalyst. we 're all friends here.

and from one old ob veteran to the next, welcome back to the boards fish man.

[quote name='Copycatalyst']It instates in the rules that one cannot post "I'm back threads." Thus why is this thread still open?[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]There is nothing about these threads [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]here[/url]. We tend to discourage too many of these threads but they aren't outright against the rules.

Don't forget the announcement a while ago, which stated that our site rules had been updated/simplified.

Posting these types of threads isn't against the rules, but obviously if half of Otaku Lounge is covered in them they will be deleted. It's all swings and round-a-bouts, really. ~_^[/color]

I don't know, I think it's a pretty valid question. All I'm seeing here is that it really depends on who knows you. I've seen other threads like this offering no more "discussion" value that were closed instantly. Adding them all up, if they were all posted at once, even then they'd have no risk of burying Otaku Lounge. It's not hard to maybe find that to be unfair.

well if i wanted to, i guess i could post an "i'm back" thread, but i see your point. some people just want to see the wb's and random one liners that you get on those types of things. it's a good thing that fish brought something up to the discussion plate by adding how much the boards have changed. that makes the thread seem more worthwhile then just posting

[quote name='Randomotakuboardsmember'] like yeah, i'm like back and stuff. what's up , everybody. lol j/k (as a side note, why do those phrases always follow each other?)[/quote]

i can see the argument here, but i think that fish was in permissible bounds. if we had everyone introducing themselves, it would cause a catastrophe on the Otaku Lounge boards. but here's a suggestion. New to the site? want to introduce yourself (again maybe?)? then let's make a subdirectorate to handle all of that. one large section devoted to nothing but new member introductions. that would take away the threat of any forums being overrun with the posts.

Personally, I can remember at least a few closed threads that had the very same "Wow this place is different!" phrase. I don't think that's a factor here.

I honestly wouldn't care if there were tons of these threads, but considering past examples it's kind of hard to not take it as favoritism. That's another argument for another place altogether, I suppose.

Guest Copycatalyst
Yep. . .I was more or less bringing this to attention exactly for Tony's reasoning. So I stand beside Tony and I am awaiting some answers. I think what you said before, James, was perfectly fine. . .but if you follow Tony's reasoning there is really more to answer than just what you said.

[quote name='Semjaza']Personally, I can remember at least a few closed threads that had the very same "Wow this place is different!" phrase. I don't think that's a factor here.

I honestly wouldn't care if there were tons of these threads, but considering past examples it's kind of hard to not take it as favoritism. That's another argument for another place altogether, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Those threads were closed before the rules were updated - that would be the clearest answer I could give.

Ultimately no matter what we do some people are always going to view this type of stuff as favouritism. There's not a great deal I can do about that.

Either we actually ban these types of threads all together or we allow them - but if we allow them, I obviously don't want to see OL completely covered in them.

So I think it's going to depend on the type of discussion that occurs. This thread has a bit of nostalgia to it and people are actually entering into some kind of discussion - in other words, the thread is going somewhere.

If it were just full of "Hi!" or "Welcome!" you can bet it would be closed or deleted.

So yeah, there's no deliberate favouritism going on here. It's all just part of the difficulties of trying to please as many people as possible while still keeping some basic standard of quality on the site.[/color]

[quote] I think what you said before, James, was perfectly fine. . .but if you follow Tony's reasoning there is really more to answer than just what you said.
[/quote]

[color=#606060]Not really. I think if you look for more reasoning you'll find it...but I don't really look at the issue on that level, so I can't comment on what people perceive about it.

As I said above though, there's definitely no deliberate favouritism. A million threads like this have been closed or deleted no matter who posts them...so it's all been very even-handed in the past. The only reason this thread is different is because we've recently changed the site's rules. That really sums it up I think.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]

So yeah, there's no deliberate favouritism going on here. It's all just part of the difficulties of trying to please as many people as possible while still keeping some basic standard of quality on the site.[/color][/QUOTE]

which uncovers the paradox of life. no matter what, you can never please everyone. james is trying to please all of us, but it can't be done. you have people within the site that you try to be cool with and within this circle of people....you tend to develop a bond that may seem to others as favoritism to others....so try not to be offended if james doesn't automatically delete every "I'M back" or "HI" thread that's shows up. he's only one person

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']which uncovers the paradox of life. no matter what, you can never please everyone. james is trying to please all of us, but it can't be done. you have people within the site that you try to be cool with and within this circle of people....you tend to develop a bond that may seem to others as favoritism to others....so try not to be offended if james doesn't automatically delete every "I'M back" or "HI" thread that's shows up. he's only one person[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]It's really got nothing to do with any bond - I don't think I ever knew Fish as well as some others did.

It's just simply the fact that the rules have changed and we're trying to be more lenient with these types of threads. We'll give it a go and see how it works out. If it doesn't, we'll just go back to banning intro threads altogether.

Either way it's not a big issue and there's certainly no conspiracy to it, lol.[/color]

[color=#db2007]I think it's clear that the [i]real[/i] reason this thread is open is because I was the first person to respond, and no one can bear to close a thread that I have adopted.

If there's any favoritism going on here, it's toward [i]me[/i].[/color]