OtakuBoards

D

Allamorph

[FONT=Arial]I feel this concept somewhat the same as writer's block: some believe it exists, while others argue that the notion is absurd. Personally, I couldn't care either way, since those with which I would argue this over generally don't wish to be convinced otherwise anyway.

But nevermind that. A bunch of bosh, it is.[/Yoda]

Really, this thread sparked because I had a rather nasty bout just last Thursday, in which the feeling was so strong my chest tightened and I was forced to breathe. (Differently than normal, I mean, which admittedly isn't all that much anyway.)

Then, since it is actually a known concept, I wondered if perhaps any of you guys happened to have had similar experiences, or even just thoughts on the matter. And so I am attempting to broach the subject.

If you've ever had déjà vu, what was it like for you? Could you trace it back to anything, or was it just a feeling?

If you haven't, what do you think of us loonies?

If you've no clue what I'm talking about, déjà vu is the name given to the feeling of "This has happened before...." It's almost like precognition, but on a subconscious level. Of course, I could just be BSing that last sentence there. I can never tell.

So, what think you?[/FONT]

[color=#db2007][center][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4361/10195081wv1.gif[/IMG][/URL][/center]

I sometimes am convinced I recognise places I have never been before, which is kind of odd. Certain buildings, the lay of the land in certain places, maybe the ambience of a restaurant. I guess I attribute it to having an active imagination, and the fact that there's only so much variation in the world.

But it's still kind of weird.[/color]

Guest Copycatalyst
De ja vu is often finding similarities in a moment being heightened. Because really, take a breath now. Okay. Ready?

[i]This moment right now is merely a reflection of all other moments cast into the mirror of us existing it.[/i]

Also maybe you're having echoics of past lives, and the samenesses in situations you observed there! Oh, that's right. Americans don't believe that God is a recycler. Sorry for assuming such, I suppose? :p

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]On a slightly related tangent, has anyone else noticed that [COLOR=DarkRed]James[/COLOR]'s earlier announcement has suddenly vanished? I swear he had something there at 1:30 this morning, my time.[/FONT][/QUOTE][CENTER]*points to the announcement by James*[/CENTER][/COLOR]

I personally believe that the feeling, the phenomenon itself is true - I've had it several times in my life, and I still remember how I felt then - but I don't believe that all the moments that spark up the feeling have [I]really[/I] happened before.

I read about it somewhere, and the text said something about a "temporary lag in memory", which practically means that you experience the same moment twice in a row, during a split second.

Imagine that you get scared by some people two times in a row. I think that's close to what déjà vu really feels like.

[quote name='Copycatalyst']
Also maybe you're having echoics of past lives, and the samenesses in situations you observed there! Oh, that's right. Americans don't believe that God is a recycler. Sorry for assuming such, I suppose? :p[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]The only reason I don't believe in past lives is simply because I have no memory of them. I can only remember times when I was conscious [I]here[/I]. But, what would be [I]here[/I]? If I lived previous lives, why is this life the only one I'm conscious of? If I die and forget this life, I was truly never conscious of this life and my being would go off into a void or paradox.

I also wonder if imaging what a place would be like and being right before you get there counts as deja vu. Some reason, deserts allure me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"]Deja vu is a silly thing. You think you remember something happening but you dont' remember that until you think it happens for a second time. :o[/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][b]Good Ol' Deja Vu[/b][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[color=#ededed]-[/color]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='desertphoenix'][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]The only reason I don't believe in past lives is simply because I have no memory of them. I can only remember times when I was conscious [I]here[/I]. But, what would be [I]here[/I]? If I lived previous lives, why is this life the only one I'm conscious of? If I die and forget this life, I was truly never conscious of this life and my being would go off into a void or paradox.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Because that's the way the system works. The fact that each and every person has some intimate part of themselves that no experience can produce, nor no genes can produce, shows truth to the fact that in some essences we are not merely just machines borne from other machines like we love to implicate here in the West. Memory is a fickle thing. . .It's usually when we forget everything that we remember what we really forgot.

You're assuming life is like a linear line in some modus. Life is not a linear line. It may appear to be a linear chain of events, completely cause-and-effect, to the current level of your mind, but it isn't. It is a quantum event. And it is not necessarily chained, but each aspect of your reality is altering aspects of you each and every moment.

Why should you assume anything of death? Why should you apply your own Western mind and its distortions of reality to your entire life? If you step back, life is teeming with paradoxisms, contradictions, and it is never as organized nor as unchaotic as your mind assumes. Chaos is a direct function of the realness of things; however, it isn't the only function if that is what you are assuming. Chaos creates variability, and variety, and variety is the entire meaning of our net of existence.

What is simple right now was once complex and chaotic to your ancestors. [i]Chaos is merely unknown simplicity.[/i]

It makes perfect sense that one could have lived past lives. I am not saying you were a human being in them necessarily. What I am saying, though, is that there is some aspect of what you are that is infinite and undegradable, mortal existence or no mortal existence. And that when you die you are in a sense reborn or recycled, with that aspect that is undegradable intact in some essence of the form you inhabit once having left the intermediary reality you may find upon death, and finding yourself back to a certain reality and in a new form. You may have no recollection of the specifics of your past existences, but you have a gestalt recollection of them for the fact that there are aspects to all people which make them unique, and these uniquenesses cannot be accounted for by merely naturalistic or scientific creeds of them; at least not yet. Science is already going into dark matter, and there is in fact a scientist who spoke of a chemical which is naturally produced in a gland called the pineal gland.

This gland rests at the center of your head. It is not even made of brain tissue. When it is made, it is made from the roof of the fetus's mouth. The substance it produces is called dimethyltryptamine, and it is one of the most potent psychoactive substances we know of. It produces this endogenously, or naturally, and is Schedule I here in the US. A scientist named Rick Strassman wrote an entire book about his completely valid scientific research into this substance. His finds implicate that near-death experiences, mystical experiences, birth, even death itself, has much to do with DMT.

To show you how powerful DMT is consider this. You know that serotonin is a key substance within your mind for its balance. Correct? Well, if you take a serotonin molecule and add two methyl clusters to it it becomes dimethyltryptamine. This is why it is called what it is--it is two, "di," methyl clusters, and it is of a class of molecules which are called due to their shape and general function "tryptamines." Another substance produced by the pineal is melatonin, "the hormone of darkness." This is created when your eyes are in darkness. It has sedational properties and interestingly enough, it is also an anti-oxidant and disposes of free radicals. You can find it OTC, which is great, considering we live in a constantly-lit world and do not produce enough melatonin with which to anti-oxidize some aspects of ourselves.

The pineal has an interesting defense mechanism. Whenever DMT is produced in the body, or even put in there by other means, it is used up as fast as possible. This seems to show that DMT is a destabalizer of our wavelengthing of this reality. Which is to say, DMT is a substance which disassociates one from one's body and often if used recreationally one will have out-of-body experiences. Anyway, the pineal has a system to nullify DMT within its own self, as if some immense safety valve to make sure large amounts of DMT aren't released. It's interesting how much this seems designed, in a sense, isn't it? That there is this mechanism that protects what DMT can do within the pineal?

Anyway, my point is that whether you remember it or not, you are not merely born into the world. [i]You are born from it[/i]. Say like an apple tree is an apple tree because it is "appleing," so you come to "being." So this Earth is "peopling."

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I felt like I got schooled my my chemistry teacher. I don't know why I am even trying anymore. The points you bring out are well backed-up, and I sadly understand a lot of what you are saying (my science teacher loved brain chemistry). My main point is, you win this time or at least till I can do some brain storming to argue. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Copycatalyst']Anyway, my point is that whether you remember it or not, you are not merely born into the world. You are born from it.[/quote]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I getting the whole circle of life idea here. That it's not about you and me. That we are the living cells, that make tissues, that make organs, that makes earth the real living organism. I'm getting the basic idea from you is that, what ever makes us unique is reused in this big cycle and the many restrictions and restraints the brain has I'm aware of. But, I have came to the idea or fear that things end, or well that death just leads to one of two places:p. You already came across that, so I'll just let it go for now.

p.s. I hate the feeling of learning during the summer.

[/COLOR]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='desertphoenix'][COLOR="DarkRed"]I felt like I got schooled my my chemistry teacher. I don't know why I am even trying anymore. The points you bring out are well backed-up, and I sadly understand a lot of what you are saying (my science teacher loved brain chemistry). My main point is, you win this time or at least till I can do some brain storming to argue. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I getting the whole circle of life idea here. That it's not about you and me. That we are the living cells, that make tissues, that make organs, that makes earth the real living organism. I'm getting the basic idea from you is that, what ever makes us unique is reused in this big cycle and the many restrictions and restraints the brain has I'm aware of. But, I have came to the idea or fear that things end, or well that death just leads to one of two places:p. You already came across that, so I'll just let it go for now.

p.s. I hate the feeling of learning during the summer.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

LOL

I am no chemistry teacher, but I am likely going to major in chem. Obviously a focus on brain or bio chem. :)

Come on. We all know you don't get sorted to one of two places when you leave this place. Look at this place. It's diverse and teeming with beauty, life, and it's just so vast and wonderful. Why would it just disappear upon leaving it? Why would you either go to heaven or hell? What we have right here, right now is as much a heaven as it is a hell and as much as hell as it is a heaven. It's not hard to see that the best heaven is both a heaven and a hell and that this Christian concept needs to be caput and put out the door because it is completely fallible in the face of experience, in the face of science, and in the face of anyone who grows past the moorings of religion and actually finds spirituality.