OtakuBoards

question

optiplex1990

[font=arial][size=1]As far as I know, install the game on your computer, save all of the information on the disc onto you computer somewhere, and go through all the files of the installed game in Notepad or whatever and change the lines that point to the disc so that they point to the corresponding file you saved on your computer.

I only did this with StarCraft, though.[/font][/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Well, what you need is a No CD key which aren't that hard to find (you can probably google it). I know of a really good site with tons of games but I don't want to tell you because than so many people would go there and I like it being small and unknown. /greed

There's also a bunch of puzzles and stuff you have to go through to get into the site which you can't solve unless someone who knows the answers tells you.
[SIZE="1"][RIGHT][color=#ededed]www.gamecopyworld.com[/color][/COLOR][/FONT][/RIGHT][/SIZE]

[quote name='optiplex1990']i was woundering how do you make it where you dont need the cd to play a game[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]Isn't this stuff illegal though, I'm not too sure? I mean, unless you actually own the game you're trying to play without a CD?[/color]

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]Isn't this stuff illegal though, I'm not too sure? I mean, unless you actually own the game you're trying to play without a CD?[/color][/QUOTE]

Yes it is illegal and is pretty much as illegal as downloading a movie or music without paying. You can download games legally off of programs like Steam as I mentioned before but you have to pay. Then theres the whole CD key thing where if there isnt one one person could buy it and give it to all his friends and they can all download the game from the same disc.

[quote name='Kenshin DX']Yes it is illegal and is pretty much as illegal as downloading a movie or music without paying.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I hope you guys know that for a No CD Key to work, you have to have the game already installed on your computer. As in you either paid for it or borrowed it from a friend and installed it. It's not the same as downloading music or movies but more like getting them from a friend and ripping them to your computer.

The only reason I use No CD Keys is because I have two computers and for my brother and I to play together we'd have to buy two copies of the game which is just dumb so we get a No CD Key for one of the computers and the problem is solved.[/COLOR][/FONT]

If you wanna get technical, only downloading .rom files from the internet is illegal. Unless you pay for them ,which most emulators don't do. Most rom sites I found technically are illegal since they don't charge you for the game. Some games are even "un rommable" meaning that they can't be found as roms since they are protected by some board (Not the ESRB), case in point Super Mario RPG.

I use the No CD key as well, for the same reasons as White. We have multiple Computers in our house and to waste money on multiple copies of a game is just stupid. Technically we are protected too since just one of us has the game.

Optiplex: Good luck with rewriting the stuff with Notepad man. Hope you know your computer code! I kid, it's not that difficult.

[color=#4B0082]Downloading ROMs is illegal regardless of whether the site charges you for them, unless it's through an official service like the Wii's Virtual Console. And you'd be getting ripped off if you paid for a ROM elsewhere, as it would be the same as buying bootleg DVDs or something like that.

Though if you think there aren't ROMs of Super Mario RPG out there for download, you must not be looking very hard. lol

Using a no CD key would only be illegal if you didn't own the game, I believe. All you're doing is modifying your own game without distributing it. Installing it on multiple computers in the house and using no cd keys to play them simultaneously might be a violation of the EULA but no one's going to come after you for it because, again, you're not distributing it.[/color]

[COLOR=maroon]Rip the CD image using one of the billion free image ripping programs out there (best format IMO is .iso format - .toast if Mac). Install Daemon Tools (or Alcohol 120%) and mount the image. Keep the image file on your computer and mount whenever you need it.

For Mac, it's very intuitive and aside from ripping it, no additional steps are necessary.[/COLOR]