OtakuBoards

Noein (Sci-fi channel's new anime)

Aberinkula

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/8d/250px-Noein.jpg[/IMG](Promotional poster)[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]Noein is a brand new anime on the sci-fi channel airing mondays at 11 PM. Followed by two other anime, Tokko and Street Fighter II. And this is a fine piece of anime. There is 24 episodes in this series. I didn't notice any familir voice acting, but it was very ejoyabe. Even though I saw episode six. But the animation was great and from the story line was fascinating. Here is a simple summary, don't worry it doesn't spoil anything.

[QUOTE=Wikipedia]Plot:
Fifteen years in the future, a violent battle using fictional technology takes place between two "timespaces": La'cryma, that protects humanity, and Shangri'la, that plans the annihilation of all space-time. The key to stopping Shangri'la's invasion is a mysterious object known as the "Dragon's Torque." A group known as the Dragon Cavalry is being sent through space and time to find it. In the present, twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yuu are contemplating running away from home when they meet a member of the Dragon Cavalry named Karasu. He believes that Haruka has the Dragon's Torque and claims to be Yuu from fifteen years in the future.

Concept:

Noein thrives exceptionally in the many theories of quantum physics. Particularly, it puts forth the concept of Everett's Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI), which is seen that the universe is branching off into a series of infinite probabilities.

However, Noein also includes the theory of the Copenhagen Interpretation, which suggests that an observer or measurement is important to determine the decoherency of the probability. In the anime, Haruka, the lead character, has the power of "observer-status" in the multiverse, thus enabling her to determine the outcome of an event just by "looking" at the event itself.

While the Many-Worlds Interpretation suggested the idea of a diverging time-space, the anime also featured a probability where a converging time-space occurs, as has been deliberately induced by the main antagonist, Noein. [/QUOTE]

Here is an image of the main character, Haruko Kaminogi and her friend Yuu Gotou.
[IMG]http://www.animeforces.com/animes/l_noein.jpg[/IMG]
(haruka is cute)

So, has anyone watched it, and what do you think? Personally I want to see the first 5 episodes of coarse, but this is a really interesting show, as is Tokko; but that's another story.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]So far, I really like what I see about Noein. I jumped in on the second episode, so I don't know how they start the show off, but it has held my interest so far. I keep hearing things about bad animation quality. Is that for a few episodes only, or for the series (Personally, I haven't had a problem with the visuals) I don't know anything more than I've already seen, but these are my iimpressions: Although it is a serious anime, it sometimes lacks a sense of [I]gravity[/I], for lack of a word. (If your not sure what I mean by gravity in an anime, take a look at Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) That gives me reason to think that the story line is going to take some interesting (bizarre, even?) turns.

Tokko looks good. Action, references to ancient alchemy, blood sucking monsters, what else does one need? ;)

I was a little surprised at Street Fighter. I thought it would be (and any DBZ fans, don't hurt me) another DBZ kind of show, but I gave it a shot, and the first episode seems okay, so I keep watching.[/FONT]

[quote name='Søren'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
I was a little surprised at Street Fighter. I thought it would be (and any DBZ fans, don't hurt me) another DBZ kind of show, but I gave it a shot, and the first episode seems okay, so I keep watching.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]:flaming:

Lol, just kidding.:p

But yeah, I have seen bit's and piece's of this anime on t.v. before. But unfortunately, I don't have the Sci-Fi channel....;-;. But maybe I'll get around to buying some dvd's of it or something.^^'[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

I love this show so much. I started watching it since episode 1. I think the voices for the characters in the show are great too. I know some of the voices of the characters because I have heard them from other show. I can't wait to see the whole series when they air it on T.V.:catgirl:

I like Tokko too. The show is bloody and has a lot of action and fighting creepy monsters, cutting up people control by these monsters. [spoiler]Also I think its cool that the only way to kill these monsters are with weapons instead of guns. I think Suzuka's weapon is cool because she used a three blade weapon to cut up the monsters into little pieces. Sure I think Sakura's weapon is cool too. She uses a sword to kill the monsters. I guess I would like the other members weapons too if they ever used them or see them using it to kill the monsters. You mosly see Sakura and Suzuka kill the monsters and saving Ranmaru.[/spoiler] I also can't wait to see the whole series on T.V. too.:catgirl:

Man, I'm amazed that this series didn't have a topic yet. I feel like I watched it a zillion years ago. And now it's on Sci-Fi? This should teach me to pay attention to what's going on with domestic television.

Anyways, Noein starts off confusing and it starts off slow. It's the kind of series that basically throws you into its universe and expects you to figure things out on your own. And, aside from a few set pieces, nothing much really happens in the first few episodes - most of it's groundwork for the various characters and hints here and there about the plot. The show is very deliberately paced, especially compared to other shounen stuff - it's got a slow ramp-up time, but do cut it some slack at the beginning (because the end is worth it).

It's worth noting that the previous effort of the director, Kazuki Akane, was Escaflowne. Noein is very much a younger sister to that series. Escaflowne starts off as a quirky adventure/fantasy/mecha/romance show with incredible design and little details everywhere, and somehow ends up channelling all of that into a big meditation on fate and human freedom. Noein does much the same kind of thing. Just playing the series straight would have been amazing enough, a feast for the eyes and ears (have I mentioned the sound design? It's incredible. Whoever did it deserves some kind of award), but instead it goes in a different direction. In the last few episodes, even while the action hits its peak the sensibility of the show is heading off into speculation on whether existence means anything. (No, wait, it's better than it sounds, trust me)

Anyways, it's good. One last thing, though: don't pay any attention at all to the quantum physics stuff. Seriously, just don't. Screw Wikipedia and its affection for superficial details. The physics babble, while it probably sounds impressive, is all a big red herring, and you shouldn't let it distract you from all the really important things going on. If you want to learn about quantum theory, go read Alistair Rae's introduction or something. For Noein, just treat all the talk like dilithium crystals and phased carrier waves in the shield emitters and you'll be fine.