OtakuBoards

Another Little OB Survey

James

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I don't think the Yu Yu Hakusho forum suffered because the franchise-forum system was bad, it was just that we didn't have enough member demand for that type of forum. If members really care about the subject matter there is no shortage of threads and discussions they can create.[/size][/QUOTE]I hope you realize that my comment is purely based on references that I found not on actual experience since I was not around then and it seems that quite a bit of material was lost when the forums were deleted.

However, that observation still stands since I've yet to see a place that does it effectively, sure they avoid outright spam, but none of them come close to the quality I see here. Though again, I've only been doing the forum thing for less than a year, so I've no doubt that it could work.

I still prefer the centralized format since it seems far less messy and easy to understand once you get the hang of it. So I'm still for the idea of allowing more threads instead of creating more forums. ;)

[color=#4B0082]I'd been thinking about whether we could still use the directories effectively without the single thread rule. My main concern is that it might get to be a lot of work for moderators to maintain them, with more threads needing to be added. But if the staff don't mind spending some extra time updating them (and I guess we can always hire more mods if really needed) then I think it would work.[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'd been thinking about whether we could still use the directories effectively without the single thread rule. My main concern is that it might get to be a lot of work for moderators to maintain them, with more threads needing to be added. But if the staff don't mind spending some extra time updating them (and I guess we can always hire more mods if really needed) then I think it would work.[/color][/QUOTE]I can see it now... Des is making more chains to keep us locked up all the time so we can maintain the site. What's sad, is we'd probably be willing victims. XP [[SIZE="1"]I kid[/SIZE]]

Anyway, I'm in favor of allowing more threads instead of having more forums. It just seems like it would end up being less messy that way. But then I think the example Petie provided would work really well. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I can see it now... Des is making more chains to keep us locked up all the time so we can maintain the site. What's sad, is we'd probably be willing victims. XP [[SIZE="1"]I kid[/SIZE]]

Anyway, I'm in favor of allowing more threads instead of having more forums. It just seems like it would end up being less messy that way. But then I think the example Petie provided would work really well. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]You know, I can totally see Des doing that. As well as us being those willing victims. Heh.

Anyway, even though it's a bit redundant, I agree with having more threads instead of more forums. Especially since it's not like every single thread would have to be added to the directory, if some are too similar they'll just end up merged with one that already exists. It's not like we would need three threads about who's your favorite character of a paticular show after all.[/COLOR]

I would support a move back to the old system of separate forums for separate series, I felt that it worked better than the current system and allowed for more broader discussions on the topics the forum covered.

Multiple discussions in the one single topic can become messy, it is also more difficult and cluttersome to dive into a thread with a new discussion on the topic, without derailing current ones. Would it not be easier to manage multiple threads than one where discussion swerves all over the place?

I would go with forums for more popular series, and multiple threads in the lounge for less popular ones.