OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[size=1]
[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
Henry drifted in and out of consciousness for a few days, put under thoroughly with the help of a powerful sleeping medicine taken along with the same injections he imagined Morphia had received for her injuries. He would wake, his fretful, sleepless mother would send for meals fit for a prince, and back to sleep he?d go. The pain in his leg had been so constant now he barely noticed it anymore ? but it was definitely there, and it was preventing him from leaving Eshe Rehema.

One morning he woke to the hurried whisperings of a man and woman, one obviously his mother, the other he couldn?t place, though it had to be a healer.

[b]?What do you [i]mean[/i] he won?t walk again??[/b]

[b]?Ma?am, that isn?t exactly what I said-?[/b]

[b]"Don?t mix your words with me, young man! Tell me the honest truth or you?ll be joining the bed next to Henry!?[/b]

Henry, now fully awake but with his eyes shut, nearly snorted out loud at his mother?s forcefulness but managed to brush it off as a weak cough, despite the shock of terror that darted up his spine.

The man coughed politely, slightly irritably, and continued. [b]?I said that Henry would not be able to walk again [i]without aid[/i]. He is a healthy young man, most of his injuries healed up better and swifter than we could have hoped, but his leg? there was only so much we could do.?[/b]

There was a moment of painful silence. Henry could hear his mother breathe in deeply, heard feet moving towards him. He was doing all that he could not to break down. Had his entire career just been completely destroyed because of a stupid decision to play the hero?

[b]?Thank you, that will be all.[/b] Anna murmured quietly, now much closer to Henry, whose eyes were still tightly shut.

Footsteps signaled the healer?s exit, and Henry opened his eyes. The curtains were drawn back and sunshine was streaming into the white room, making him wince. [b]?Mother.?[/b]

Anna smiled tightly, standing near Henry?s barely large enough bed, running a hand through his dirty blond hair. [b]?Good morning, Henry dear. Are you hungry??[/b]

Henry stared up at her, eyes and expression blank. [b]?I?m never going to ride again, am I??[/b]

It was the first time he had ever seen his mother burst into tears.

---

By the next day it was decided that Henry was sufficiently healed enough to be taken off his strict sleep schedule. He had been filled in completely on the news of the rebellion and the Underdogs, the new government, the death count, Daedalus, everything. But the only thing that mattered to him was that he was now useless. And that Morphia was still nowhere to be found.

He was sitting up in bed, staring out the window, watching the city be rebuilt right before his very eyes, wishing he could do something, anything, to not feel so utterly pathetic. There was a sudden, gentle knock at the door that startled Henry out of his quiet reverie. His head snapped round; his eyes lit up immediately.

[b]?Morphia.?[/b]

[b]?Oh, [i]Henry.[/i]?[/b] She darted forward instantly, her noticeable limp making
Henry feel immeasurably better about his own new affliction. She stopped by the bed, looking him up and down worriedly, looking near tears. Henry reached up, hooking his arm around her waist and pulling her forward, causing her to fall ungracefully onto the bed and half on top of him.

[b]?Where?ve you [i]been[/i]??[/b] He asked, his familiar Cheshire grin spreading across his face as he took in her long blonde hair, the blue eyes so like his own. Before she could answer his lips met hers in a much needed lingering kiss that left him feeling significantly less useless than before.

---

As it turned out, not many members of the family knew of Henry?s whereabouts right away. Anna had not left his side, and Alexander and Alecia had been, understandably, too busy to alert anyone as to Henry?s condition. Not until the stories got out about both Henry and Alexander?s brave actions at the RPG Headquarters had the Almagests nor Markhams had known where Henry and Anna where. Morphia had spent a few worry-sick nights asking around, hoping for the best. That was all Henry needed to know.

Now, with Morphia and Anna watching cautiously, Henry carefully swung his bad leg over the side of the bed, bracing himself on the bedpost. Morphia stepped forward, a small smile on her face as she held out a long piece of polished wood.

[b]?Here. Now I have something to take away from you whenever you get on my last nerve.?[/b] She said dryly, handing him the cane, which he took with a grin.

[b]?If by that you mean, ?Here, Henry my love, take this cane so I can hold you in my arms once more,? I?d be happy to take it.?[/b]

[b]?Your mind is an odd place.?[/b]

[b]?Thank you, [i]dearest[/i].?[/b]

[b]?[i]Get up before I pull you up, Henry Grimalkin.[/i]?[/b]

[b]?Yes, mother.?[/b] Henry, cane firmly in hand, shifted all his weight to his good leg and stood.

With the help of Morphia, leaning heavily on his cane every other step, Henry managed to sort of get the hang of this new method of walking by the time they made it to the front doors. The two stepped outside, Henry feeling sunshine for the first time in days. He breathed it in, wrapped his free arm around Morphia, could nearly feel and touch the change in the air.

[b]?Where to??[/b] Morphia asked, inching out of Henry?s grip but extending her arm to him instead, always so proper, which Henry gladly took with a clumsy flourish.

[b]?Actually, I?d like to go and visit my father.?[/b] That word felt foreign to him, but he shrugged, looking at Morphia with a mischievous glint in his eyes. [b]?And then to the stables ? if I?m going to qualify for next year, I?ll need to start training now.?[/b]

Morphia smirked. [b]?That makes two of us, doesn?t it??[/b]

Henry gave her a quick kiss, and over the noise of reconstruction whispered, [b]?Yes, I suppose it does.?[/b]
[/size]

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1][indent][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
It was late in the afternoon when Fauntleroy exited his steam car and approached the Rosengard estate. The summer had been kind to Czenovia, and it promised to be a season blessed with cool weather and even cooler tempers. King Primas had kept true to his word, and although forming a new government was taking longer than anticipated, the sweeping changes taking place across the nation were evident in every facet of life.

Fonty had just returned from a morning in the capital, working with Magitech to return the city to its‘ former glory. The fortress walls on the perimeter was removed, instead replaced with a more humble, open area for all of its‘ citizens to enjoy. Even Rosengard had taken on new life, playing house to many of the families forced out of their homes during the revolution. With Dame Anna gone things weren’t nearly as perfect as before, but then again, nobody expected them to be.

At the top of the front steps of Rosengard was Leonhart, enjoying a snifter of brandy in one hand, and clutching tightly onto a cane with the other. He was no longer the larger-than-life figure who had dominated Fonty’s life; instead replaced with a frail contemplative man. Daedalus’ death had been difficult for all of the family, but for Leonhart Almagest it seemed almost too much to bear.

“[b]How is the construction going?[/b]” Leonhart asked, “[b]Have you received the materials I sent for you?[/b]”

“[b]You shouldn‘t have bothered,[/b]” Fonty replied, “[b]Czenovia can’t affird granite and marble in its’ current state. Beatriste says that when everything is accounted for we won’t even break even on our building costs.[/b]”

Fauntleroy suddenly felt the strong tap of a cane across his forehead, “[b]Ow![/b]”

“[b]The plans the Mirror Palace drew up are insufficient for High Czenoble. If we lose a few crownes along the way, so be it. Your grandchildren will thank you…[/b]”

“[b]Judging from our progress, they'll probably be working on this project too. We have been at this for months and still half of the High Czenoble is nothing but scaffolding.[/b]”

“[b]Yes,[/b]” Leonhart said, staring out onto the city on the horizon, “[b]But when you're finished the city will look grand.[/b]”

Fonty raised an eyebrow, “[b]And how do you know that?[/b]”

Leonhart motioned for his son to follow him, and the two entered the house. Sitting on a nearby endtable was Fonty’s camera.

“[b]Victoria Ann had told me about your mother’s camera months ago…[/b]” Leonhart explained, “[b]When I saw that you had left it lying around I must admit that I couldn’t fight my curiosity.[/b]”

The old man reached into his jacket and revealed several photographs. One showed the completed construction of the city while another revealed Fauntleroy and an older-looking Victoria Ann exploring a mysterious Anovan manor.

“[b]You took some photographs today, father?[/b]”

“[b]Your mother… Patrice… she had stumbled across this strange camera while traveling the Old Globe,[/b]” Leonhart said with a soft grin, “[b]When I met her for the first time she told me that I was going to be the love of her life. I asked her how she knew, but she simply smiled and said that it was her 'destiny.' It wasn‘t until much later that she showed me the photographs of our wedding day, nearly a year before I had proposed![/b]”

Fonty‘s eyes widened, “[b]Why have I never heard of this before?[/b]”

“[b]Your mother loved to use that camera, stealing glimpses at the future here and there. Unfortunately the only thing it had failed to see was her death…[/b]” Leonhart said, letting out a heavy sigh, “[b]I was outraged, and ordered Anna to destroy it once and for all. It would seem that she went against my wishes once again…[/b]”

“[b]Father, when I had first taken pictures with the camera I saw you… after your kidnapping. I didn‘t know what to think,[/b]” Fonty said, “[b]I could have done more to help you. Maybe if I had acted sooner Daedalus wouldn’t have--[/b]”

“[b]You will say no such thing![/b]” Leonhart shouted, “[b]Everything that has happened, I know in my heart that I am only to blame. My actions have caused pain for countless families… it does not take a vision of the future to know that it would catch up with me eventually.[/b]”

Leonhart’s eyes began to water, “[b]I feel as if I have wasted so much time, all of these years. How can I expect forgiveness from my family, let alone my nation?[/b]”

Fonty grabbed tightly onto his father’s shoulder, and the two embraced.

“[b]You would have made your mother very proud. I have every faith in---[/b]”

“[b]Uncle Fonty! Uncle Fonty![/b]“

Suddenly Victoria Ann rushed into the doorway, partially out of breath.

“[b]What is it?[/b]” Fonty asked, “[b]What’s wrong?[/b]”

“[b]The Royal Police are here for you![/b]” Victoria Ann exclaimed, “[b]They say that you’re reading the blueprints wrong, and that you’re building the city backwards![/b]”

“[b]Oh. My,[/b]” Fonty said nervously, “[b][I]I suppose that is a problem.[/I][/b]”

Leonhart glared at his son as he sheepishly exited the hallway, “[b]Don’t wait up for me father. I suspect the King isn’t going to be very happy with me…[/b]”

“[b]That boy…[/b]” Leonhart groaned, “[b]Come with me, Victoria Ann. Let’s see if we can’t find something to snack on before dinner…[/b]”

Victoria Ann reached for her Grandfather’s hand and the two began to walk down the hallway, “[b]Grandpa Leonhart, what are those photographs you‘re holding?[/b]”

“[b]Oh, these?[/b]” he said as he handed them over to the young girl, “[b]They are pictures of the future, taken with your Uncle’s camera.[/b]”

“[b]Is that me?[/b]“ Victoria Ann thumbed through the photographs with a grimace on her face, “[b]What is wrong with my hair? I look so… [I]boring[/I].[/b]”

“[b]I think you will become a beautiful and confiident young lady,[/b]” Leonhart said warmly, “[b]Why, I bet before too long [i]you‘ll[/i] be the one running our family business.[/b]”

“[b]No thanks![/b]” Victoria Ann replied, “[b]I would much rather go on an adventure![/b]”

“[b]Adventure? Haven’t you had enough adventure for one lifetime?[/b]”

“[b]Are you kidding?! I‘m only eleven years old and I helped save the whole country![/b]" she said proudly, "[b]Just wait and see what happens next year![/b]”[/size][/indent]

[indent][center][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/almagest-banner4.png[/img]
[font=garamond][size=6][b]Cast of Characters:[/size][/b]

[size=3][i][b]Sandy[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Gerrault "Gadget" Stark[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Gavin[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Daedalus Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Aaryanna Mom[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Catherine Sara Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Shy[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Fauntleroy Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Raiha[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Macey Ellen Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Sakura[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Marie Evangeline Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Muse[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Henry Grimalkin[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Malkav[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Jonathan "Jack" Deacon[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Cyriel[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Morphia Markham[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Sunfall[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Alecia Leanna Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Rachmaninoff[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Alexander Edward Madison[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Aaryanna[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Victoria Ann Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Indi[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Harrison Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Blayze[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Dawlish Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Darren[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Charles Garnett Cornwall[/b][/size]

[size=3][i][b]Chikara Kokoro[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Helen "Nellie" Almagest[/b][/size]

[size=3][i]and [b]James[/b] as...[/i][/size]
[size=4][b]Vincent Achard,
Gustave Achard,
and Audrey Bertrand[/b][/size]

...END...

[size=3][b]The Almagest Legacy[/b] was proudly created by [b]Sandy[/b] and [b]Shy[/b].

Special thanks to everyone involved throughout the course of this RPG.[/center][/size][/font][/indent]