OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
It didn?t take Harrison long to get cleaned up after his sword lessons were done. Even if it wasn?t required by the school, he still would have taken the required bath to get cleaned up before returning to the main building where classes were held. After a good work out, the hot water helped to keep his muscles from getting too stiff and sore. He had barely finished toweling his hair for a second time after getting dressed when one of his friends snatched the towel from his hands and tossed it into one of the hampers.

?[B]Hurry up Harrison! It?s not often that we get a free period.[/B]? Another teen, not much older than Harrison, with brown colored hair and eyes and medium build had entered the bath area. Joshua gave him one of his usual grins, indicating he was up to mischief.

Harrison just laughed at Joshua, him with his mock serious face, making him look even younger than his fifteen years. After all, free time or not they often snuck into the underground tunnels that ran beneath Chaos and all of High Czenoble and New Czenoble. It was suppose to be off limits but Joshua, or rather Josh as he went by, had managed to steal and make a copy of the keys for the lock to the basement and the doors to where the entrance to the tunnels was located.

?[B]I don?t know why you?re in such a hurry Josh.[/B]? He shoved him aside with a laugh as they left the bathhouses next to the Salle.

?[B]Oh come on! Think of the chance this presents! We?ve got all the supplies we need at the hideout.[/B]?

?[B]You want to do some exploring?[/B]? Harrison smiled when Josh nodded. ?[B]Then lets get going, after we have lunch first. I?m starved.[/B]?

It didn?t take the two long to get back to the main campus of Chaos, the students still hanging around outside since the wasps were still being dealt with. Something that just made Harrison smile since he knew all about the intended prank. It was after all, just one of many they had in mind. He was heading towards the main entrance when something caught his attention and he pulled Josh to the side and started heading towards the back.

?[B]What are you doing?[/B]? Josh protested after pulling free.

?[B]Avoiding Victoria Ann of course.[/B]? He explained even as he ducked behind a group of students before finally slipping around the left side of the school. ?[B]You know she?ll just try to tag along if she sees us.[/B]?

Josh just nodded as they snuck into the side door on the left and made a beeline for the entrance to the basement, pausing only long enough to make sure the coast was clear before Josh unlocked the doors and the two slipped inside, closing it quickly before someone came along and discovered them getting into something they were expressly forbidden to do.

With a grin Harrison made his way through the stacks of older school supplies, making his way towards the second set of doors, the ones that lead to the underground tunnels themselves. He pulled out his own set of keys that Josh had made for him and unlocked the doors, careful to avoid making too much noise as the two of them slipped in and shut the doors behind them.

There was a set of stairs carved into the stone leading down into darkness and a pair of lanterns hanging on the walls. Harrison grabbed one as did Josh, both of them turning the little switch that activated the little power source that fed the little bulbs inside. Providing a smokeless light via magi technology, that would light the way. At the bottom of the stairs there were three different tunnels. The two took the one to the left and then the one to the right when the next split occurred, until they finally came to a small cavern like room full of crates and supplies.

?[B]Well that was easy enough.[/B]? Josh opened up one of the crates and gabbed some of the food supplies they had stashed there. He took it over to one of the stacks of pillows and blankets and made himself comfortable, putting his feet up.

?[B]Don?t get too comfortable, I didn?t come here to watch you stuff your face after all.[/B]? Harrison got comfortable himself. Even if it was underground, there was something relaxing about being on his own without any adults around. After the two finished having something to eat, they gathered some supplies and took off to explore.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[CENTER][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/almagest-dynastking.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]The Dynast King Mideus Prosperous lied on his bed, feverish and shaking. A nurse swept his forehead with a damp cloth, and a priest from the Church of the Holy Bird chanted prayers and sprinkled white feathers on him. Agron Deacon, his advisor and closest friend sat on chair next to the bed, with his face buried on his hands.

If he had had the strenght, Mideus would have laughed at the situation he was now. He had ruled Czenovia for forty years, ever since the Mine War when his father was assassinated. But now he was lying here, weak and frail. And all Agron was worried about was the fact that he had not yet named an heir to follow him. Mideus knew very well what would happen if he didn't choose an heir to the Crystalline Throne: the whole nation would be torn apart by his three children, each fighting for the position. And then, when the country was at it's weakest, [I]they[/I] would strike. The Underdogs were a threat to the unity of the nation, but they were nothing compared to the foreign forces Mideus was so afraid of.

His plans to make a magitechnological army to guard Czenovia had been obliterated. The whole defense of the country now laid in the hands of one man: Daedalus Almagest. Only his inventions could fend off those who wished to destroy Czenovia. But even the weapons would be useless if there was no ruler to order when to use them.

Thus Mideus knew he had to make the choice. But which one of his three children would have what it takes to rule the nation under peril?

Would it be Primas Generous, his eldest living son? He, who had so shamelessly eliminated two of his rival siblings, Julienne and Janus, out of his way? He, who was much favored by the businessmen and diplomats because of his way of bribery? Primas was certainly an avid politician, but he could never release himself from the web of lies he had spun around him.

Or perhaps it was Augustine Beauteous, his mesmerizing daughter? Born with the shame of having a disabled twin, the only ugly spot in her otherwise perfect demeanor. Augustine pretended to be a simple maiden, but Mideus knew well that his daughter was sharp as the dagger she so willingly uses to stab others in the back. Just like she did to her sister Florence, who had to be exiled for meddling with a chamberlain. There was no telling who she would betray next.

Or could it actually be Juvenus Courageous, the worthless prodigal son? He would certainly use all of the Dynasty's wealth to pay his fun and games. He was too young, too spoiled, to understand the responsibilities that came with power. But maybe he could learn under the tutelage of Agron Deacon?

Lying there, Mideus missed his beloved wife, Queen Coraline, by his side. She would've told him the right choice, but she had died years ago. Two of his other children were dead, and two were out of the question. So Mideus had to choose from the three that remained.

He motioned Agron to come to him, and whispered a name to his ear. With the weight of this responsibility finally lifted from his shoulders, Mideus Prosperous could finally let his soul join the birds in the sky above.

[CENTER]~*~*~*~*~*~[/CENTER]

All of the inhabitants of the Mirror Palace had gathered to the throne room as soon as they heard the news of the king's passing. Agron Deacon spoke to them, standing next to the Crystalline Throne.

[B]"The Dynast King Mideus Prosperous is dead. Before he passed away, he uttered me the name of his child he wants to succeed him. I will reveal it to you once the Day of Silent Mourning has passed. Following the ancient tradition, from this moment on to the sunset tomorrow, not a single word shall be uttered inside the walls of the Mirror Palace. Long live the Dynasty!"[/B]

The crowd repeated the last line, and fell silent. The suspence of who the next ruler was going to be still lingered in the air.[/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/almagest-landmark3.png[/IMG]
[B]Landmark 08[/B][/CENTER]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]So where are you being stationed little brother?

[INDENT]Knock it off Thomas! [/INDENT]

Stop being so slow! Read it out loud already!

[INDENT]Stop being so impatient! I?m still reading? Oh?[/INDENT]

What do you mean oh?

[INDENT]Hey! Give that back![/INDENT]

Wait High Czenoble? You?ve been assigned to work in High Czenoble? That?s great little brother! Congratulations! [/SIZE][/INDENT]

?[B]Tell me again why we?re dragging this fool back to High Czenoble?[/B]?

A feeling of movement, a sense of darkness, and yet nothing seemed to be real, feeling more like a dream than anything else, but if it wasn?t a dream? who was talking?[I] I have to be dreaming? right?[/I] Alexander wasn?t sure and for some reason he couldn?t seem to focus enough to determine what was going on. It was like being in a dark haze, one that had him feeling disconnected from everything going on around him.

?[B]Because Thomas told us to, that?s why.[/B]?

A sound of something being hit? or was it [I]someone[/I] being hit as it was followed with a grunt of surprise.

?[B]Stop asking stupid questions.[/B]?

?[B]It?s not stupid![/B]? The first voice complained. ?[B]Even if the [I]Vigilant[/I] was defeated we?re still going to need to help with organizing the forces that are gathering in Brigit Town and the other cities.[/B]?

A sigh. ?[B]Which is why we?re doing this you dimwit, they don?t need us to help with that. Leave the thinking up to Thomas.[/B]?

?[B]Don?t insult me. I?m not as stupid as you think I am.[/B]?

The first voice was becoming louder as the feeling of being in motion intensified for Alexander. [I]The Vigilant was defeated?[/I]

?[B]I know who this idiot is married to. What I want to know is why the hell we?re just letting him go.[/B]?

?[B]Your still stupid?[/B]?

The sound of someone being smacked again seemed to echo oddly, making Alexander struggle to try to get out of the strange dream he seemed to be in. [I]What kind of dream is this? [/I]There was something urgent, something more important that he needed to be doing? but he couldn?t remember what it was.

?[B]Who took care of Annie?s kid?[/B]?

?[B]What...? Oh! I didn?t realize?[/B]?

?[B]Whatever moron, now hurry up before he finishes waking up. I don?t want to hit him again if I don?t need to.[/B]?

Something was pounding dully, something that was becoming more intense, more painful with each passing moment. A feeling of nausea came over Alexander, as if he was going to throw up his breakfast?[I] breakfast? [/I]The voices fell silent and the feeling of motion intensified even more as brilliant white light filled his eyes. Causing him to try to close his eyes even more. He tried to talk but nothing more than a unintelligible grunt came out.

?[B]This will do.[/B]?

The sense of motion came to a jarring halt when Alexander felt himself being dumped onto the pavement? [I]what?[/I] He could hear the sound of footsteps heading away and then nothing? No wait, he could hear carriages? [I]carriages? Where am I?[/I] It took awhile for him to wake up enough to realize that he was in some back street. His head was pounding painfully and when he tried to get up, he lost what was left of his breakfast to the ground instead. [I]What is going on? [/I]

With a grimace of pain he moved on his hands and knees until he was able to sit with his back against the building, closing his eyes as waves of dizziness nearly caused him to pass out again. [I]Where the hell am I? Why can?t I remember what I was doing? [/I]He reached up to where his head was pounding only to pull away when touching the back of his head hurt.

Once again he heard the sound of footsteps, he turned his head slightly only to be confused by what he saw, the top of what could only be the Royal Police Guard building where he worked in the distance. [I]I?m in High Czenoble?[/I] But? that wasn?t right, was it? But it had to be as the footsteps got louder and a moment later, coming around the corner were members of the guard like himself. But when they tried to ask him how he had gotten hurt, or what patrol he was assigned to as they started making arrangements to take him to get treated, for the life of him he couldn?t remember.

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]With infinite tenderness, Gustave washed the wounds Lazarus had dealt Macey, the warm water rushing over them, turning the basin a faint pink color. Four heavy scratches scored her left arm, starting at her shoulder, and going down to her wrist. Fortunately they weren't deep enough to warrant stitches or special doses of poison. Gently, he began to brush a cleansing agent on them, and Macey winced, grasping the folds of her dress with her right hand.[/i]

"I'm so sorry about this. He's normally a very gentle beast."

[i]Macey spoke through gritted teeth, a faint smile on her face even for it.[/i]

"When an animal is in pain, it does all sorts of things that aren't a reflection of its true nature. It's not your fault. You're not Hugo Black."

"Damn that son of a bitch! Poisoning my Chimaeras. What's next?"

"I'd say almost anything as far as that animal's concerned."

[i]Gustave sighed and gently bandaged her cuts with strips of linen, then helped her stand. It'd been roughly a hour since the first dose, and Lazarus should've been already responding. Keeping a safe distance, the two walked down to the stables to find Lazarus alert and looking much better already, drinking from his trough. At their approach, he chirruped and trotted over, head held high, strutting really. He plumed his tail feathers and leaned down to nuzzle against Gustave's outstretched hand. Then almost in the same movement, he made a light burbling sound and virtually snuggled against Macey's right side, his eyes closing as she scratched his flanks for him.[/i]

"He's looking so much better. Nice to see him back to his old self."

"Yes...I was running out of arms to hold up in sacrifice."

[i]With a laugh he turned and found that his grooms had already saddled up Lucy, the reins held loosely in his hands as she stood and shook her head every now and then. The bright gold of her plumage standing out sharply against the darker green of Macey's dress, with a plumed mane and long eyelashes sweeping across her face... ...simply a glorious sight to behold. Lucy cooed and gave Macey a gentle nudge, while Gustave gave her a boost up into the saddle. Holding onto his waist, blushing slightly at the sheer closeness, he clicked his tongue and Lucy obligingly set off at a very smooth pace, headed for the lake.

Hours passed, the two enjoying the company, the adventure, the beauty of their surroundings. Lucy enjoyed the freedom as well, calling out to the birds that flew overhead with a sweet musical cry. And as she slowly completed her run, the sun was setting, throwing flashes of colors across the lake. The grooms took the reins as Gustave slipped down, catching Macey around the waist to ease the drop. Taking her arm, the two entered the house, and sat down on the verandah to watch the sun setting, while the servants laid out a light tea while supper was being set. Macey balanced a teacup lightly between her fingers and smiled across the rim at Gustave.[/i]

"I've had such a wonderful time today. Better than I've had in months."

"I can imagine there wasn't too much fun to be had, with everything that's been happening in Czenoble lately."

"Yes, it's very sad. I'm not sure what I'll do. Fauntleroy is talking about selling Magitech, and Eva's shaken by the goings on in the city, and Beatrise is...well...Beatrise."

"What's it like having Lady Bavaria in Rosengard? I've heard so many...[i]different[/i] things about her."

"It's like living with a large monster poorly disguised as your best friend. And you're not sure if she's going to make polite conversation or kill you and cannibalize your body."

[i]The two shared a light chuckle, and turned to savor the meal that had been set up while they chatted. Just as the sorbet was being served, an express courier arrived with a message. For Macey, with no return name, and no markings on it besides her own. She slit it open with a hairpin, and read the letter, her eyes glancing down to the bottom to realize that it hadn't been signed either.

As soon as she saw the words, "I regret to inform you," she skipped ahead and saw the real crux of the note. Her hands began to shake and she felt a sudden coldness grip her chest. With a gasp and a cry, she flung the anonymous letter down across the table, nearly knocking over her glass of water as she stood without realizing it. She had time to let out one strangled choking sob and then the world spun around her and everything went black.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center][size=1][indent]Fauntleroy and Charles had planned to spend their day visiting Magitech, but as word of the Underdogs? attack on New Czenoble spread it became obvious that wasn?t an option. As Charles played with his children elsewhere in Rosengard, Fonty stoof in the Grand Hall, eagerly awaited more news from the city. Beatriste and Eva were nearby, hurriedly packing bags and making arrangements should the Almagests need to flee High Czenoble.

?[b]Yes, that one![/b]? Eva ordered a handful of servants, pointing to a large portrait of Lord Reuben, ?[b]Have it wrapped and taken to the basement at once.[/b]?

?[b]Yes, Lady Almagest![/b]?

For Fauntleroy, or anyone familiar with Rosengard, it was a strange sight to see the fine artwork and tapestries removed from the walls. Many had been in place since the estate was first built decades ago, and were as much a part of the Almagests? history as they were fine pieces of art. While he understood the need to preserve his family?s treasures, it was difficult to shake off the feeling that his home was falling apart.

?[b]Do you girls need any help?[/b]?

?[b]Definitely not, Fauntleroy,[/b] Eva replied, ?[b]We can?t have you moving anything with that injury of yours.[/b]?

?[b]If Anna were here she would have had everything packed already?[/b]? Beatriste muttered, checking a nearby grandfather clock, ?[b]And where is Victoria Ann? She should be home from CHAOS by now![/b]?

?[b]Don?t be so worried, Bea,[/b]? Fonty said reassuringly, ?[b]You know how terrible steamcar traffic can be. I imagine it?s even worse today given the? situation.[/b]?

Eva sighed, ?[b]To think of the taxes we pay for the Royal Guard. The least they could do is keep the cities safe from these anarchists![/b]?

?[b]Lady Almagest![/b]? a butler called out as he entered the Hall, ?[b]I apologize, but one of the Muldovian vases was broken as we tried to move it...[/b]?

?[b]Oh no! Mother loved those![/b]?

Beatriste and Eva rolled their eyes, and followed him out the door. It was only a moment later that Victoria Ann excitedly entered through room, tossing her school bag to the floor.

?[b]Hello Uncle Fonty![/b]? Victoria said cheerfully, ?[b]Have you seen Mom? I want to ask her if I can go play with Lucy today.[/b]?

?[b]Your mother is busy boxing up Rosengard with Aunt Eva. I?m sure the last thing she wants is for you to go across town in the middle of all of the trouble in New Czenoble.[/b]?

?[b]What do you mean? Are the poor people still upset about their jobs?[/b]?

?[b]I?m afraid it?s gotten even worse. For the time being I think it?s best that you stay in Rosengard, where it?s safe.[/b]?

?[b]But Harrison got to go with Uncle Daedalus after school. He said he was going to have an adventure![/b]?

?[b]Oh did he?[/b]" Fauntleroy replied, raising an eyebrow in suspicion, "[b]Just the same, I?m sure there are plenty of fun things you can do right here at home.[/b]?

Victoria Ann looked around the hall for a moment, staring at its' bare walls.

?[b]Like what?[/b]?

?[b]Hm. You like chimaera, don?t you?[/b]?

?[b]Yeah, why?[/b]?

?[b]Well, I have some photographs from the races yesterday that I haven?t developed. I bet there?s more than a couple of you and Lucy.[/b]?

?[b]Why are you taking pictures? I thought you got fired from your photog job.[/b]?

Fonty narrowed his eyes, ?[b]Not [I]fired[/I], per se. I just stopped turning in articles, and they stopped trying to contact me. It was very mutual. But what do you say to being my assistant for the day?[/b]?

"[b]No.[/b]"

"[b][i]No?[/b][/i]"

Victoria Ann pointed at Fonty, "[b]You show me how to develop the pictures, and you can be [i]my[/i] assistant.[/b]"

"[b]Fine. Let's do it then.[/b]"

Victoria Ann grinned, and the two headed towards Fonty?s darkroom.[/size][/indent]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
Victoria didn't know much about developing or making photographs but she meant it when she told Fonty he could be her assistant. There was no way she was going to let him do it himself when he needed to be resting that arm of his. In this respect, she was every bit as bossy as her older sister Alecia was. Making Fonty take a seat at the small desk in the corner of the darkroom while she got out the chemicals and supplies needed under his careful supervision. Preparing the processing tanks and the negatives for developing among other things. It took a little bit for her to get use to the odd lighting in the room since regular light was not allowed, and using goggles to protect her eyes took getting use to as well.

Then while the negatives were drying, she started getting things ready for using the enlarger, to make the actual prints. As well as preparing everything for the actual photographs. It took a while, during which a few times Victoria ordered Fonty to sit back down when he got up to help her more out of habit than anything. Victoria had always been good at following instructions. If anything didn?t turn out right, it would be because Fonty explained things wrong. Then, when she was finally done, she started cleaning up. Putting all the chemicals away in the cabinets against the far wall while the pictures were drying, hanging from special lines made just for that purpose.

Then, when it was finally safe to switch to normal lighting and to take the pictures down, Fonty got up and started doing so while Victoria finished putting things up, including a little foot stool she had fetched to make it easier for her to be able to reach things, finding a spot for it in the corner of the room. Deciding at that moment that it was a good idea incase Fonty needed pictures done again. Since she was sure he?d just do it himself and hurt his arm.

?[B]Good job Victoria,[/B]? Fonty said as he took the pictures over to the little desk and started spreading them out. ?[B]A little slow, but?[/B]?

?[B]That?s your fault Uncle Fonty, for setting things out of reach.[/B]?

Fonty just laughed a bit, ruffling her hair with his right hand. ?[B]No, that?s your fault for being so short.[/B]?

"[B]Bah! I'll get taller, just you wait![/B]" She leaned over the desk a bit instead of sitting in the chair next to Fonty on the right, hunting for the pictures of her and Lucy that Fonty said he had taken.

"[B]Will you let me have one?[/B]" She asked, "[B]Of me and Lucy?[/B]"

"[B]Of course, why do you think I took it?[/B]" He answered, resulting in Victoria Ann smiling broadly as she picked up one of her sitting on Lucy and leaning over to wrap her arms around Lucy's neck.

"[B]Where should I put the negatives?[/B]" The little envelope he had her put them in was still sitting on the desk.

"[B]They go in the bottom drawer there.[/B]" Fonty indicated the set of drawers on the right side of the desk.

Victoria Ann was setting the picture down and reaching for the envelope when another picture caught her eye, one that made no sense. It was one of Lady Bavaria, dressed in elaborate clothing, wearing what appeared to be a crown on her head. She was inside the Mirror Palace.

"[B]Fonty,[/B]" Victoria picked up the negatives absentmindedly, "[B]What kind of picture is this? Why is Lady Bavaria in the Palace wearing a crown?[/B]" She set the picture in front of him and then moved to put the negatives away.

"[B]I don't know.[/B]" Fonty finally said after picking the picture up to look at it. "[B]I didn't take this picture, someone else must have.[/B]"

Victoria just shrugged, reaching for the drawer once she sat down, still distracted by not only the pictures of her and Lucy, but by the odd one of Lady Bavaria. Enough that she didn't realize she was opening the wrong drawer, the one with other photographs instead of the one where the negatives were stored. Upon realizing she had the wrong drawer she started to close it and then halted, her eyes going wide when she realized what she was looking at; the envelope with the negatives slipping from her fingers to fall to the floor.

On the very top of the stack of pictures was one of Leonhart, bound by the wrists, along with several other older men, in some sort of cellar. [I]What?? How? When?[/I] For the longest moment she just stared at it until she finally snatched it and turned to her uncle Fonty.

"[B]When did you take this![/B]" She demanded, brandishing the photo.

Fonty turned to look at what she was referring to and cringed a bit, "[B]I didn't.[/B]"

"[B]Who did! What's going on?[/B]" Victoria Ann's thoughts began to race as all sorts of questions ran through her mind. The most important one of why in the world did they have a funeral for her Grandfather if he wasn't dead? Why weren't they hunting for him?

Fonty moved to snatch the picture from Victoria Ann but she moved it out of reach. "[B]Why aren't we looking for Grandfather? Why did we have a funeral for him if he's not dead?[/B]"

"[B]The picture could have already been in the camera when I started using it. We don't know if it was taken now or earlier.[/B]" Fonty tried to explain, though Victoria Ann shook her head in disbelief.

"[B]That can't be right! Grandfather didn't use to have gray hair![/B]" Victoria Ann started to get angry. "[B]He's been kidnapped like the other Alchemists! We have to find him![/B]" Without waiting for Fonty to respond she turned and dashed out of the darkroom with the photograph in hand.

"[B]Victoria Ann! Come back![/B]" Fonty called after her, but she ignored him as she ran to head for Alecia's house. Her Uncle Daedalus was gone and Auntie Catherine was going out with one of her friends for dinner.

[I]I have to show this to Alexander![/I] She thought as she headed for the front doors to Rosengard. [I]The Royal Police Guard need to know he's not dead so they'll keep looking for him![/I] A moment later she shoved the doors open and was on her way, not even bothering to close the doors behind her.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/lector-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Instead of heading home once school was let out for the day, Catherine was instead standing at the windows of her office overlooking the city, watching the fading light as the sun set. She was going out with one of her friends for dinner in a bit and it seemed pointless to head for Rosengard only to turn around and come back to the same area where the school was located. Her friend, Jessica, was going to meet her at the front gates to Chaos so they could enjoy a leisurely stroll over to the restaurant in question. Even if Jessica was a bit of a gossip, Catherine still enjoyed getting together with her from time to time.

A sigh escaped her lips as she sat down and continued to gaze outwards, how many times had Leonhart managed to sneak in a visit to her office over the years? Not very often, but he always did, when he had a chance. Checking on how she was doing, chatting a bit over what was going on in both their lives. She was going to miss those random visits, as well as the evenings when they got a chance to discuss the different fields of magi technology. Even if she never specialized in one of the different fields of magi technology, she understood all that he talked about and more. It was part of why she became a teacher, not because of grief over her fiancé?s death.

She smiled sadly, how could she focus on only one aspect when all of them were so interesting? Even as a teacher, she was always keeping up with new developments, her office was a mini library with two of the walls housing all the books she owned, many of them given to her by Leonhart over the years. And her own personal room back in Rosengard was a small library on it?s own. Catherine often spent a portion of her evenings reading up on things. It was fun to work with the children, to see them learn and grasp the fundamentals of whatever field they decided to study in. No, it had been her intention all along, to become a teacher.

A knock at her door interrupted her thoughts and she moved to answer it, thinking it was Jessica, to her surprise it was the Head Master, Lector Moebius. She hadn?t realized that he was still there since he had always taken off immediately once the students were gone, showing no interest in keeping up with some of the more mundane duties of a Head Master. It was with great reluctance that she allowed him in when he indicated that he needed to talk to her. There was something off about his behavior, something that became clear once they were both seated at the little table over by the window.

?[B]I?m truly sorry to bother you Lady Almagest, but I fear I simply must.[/B]? He started out hesitantly.

?[B]Whatever do you mean?[/B]?

?[B]It?s the children and the lack of discipline here at Chaos. Now I know you?ve been a teacher for over twenty five years, but it?s clear to me that you?re protecting them instead of disciplining them.[/B]? He stood up and started walking back and forth, missing Catherine?s sigh of disappointment.

?[B]Head Master Moebius,[/B]? She stood up as well. ?[B]The only one with a problem here is you and your utter lack of experience when it comes to dealing with children.[/B]?

He turned to face her, a look of irritation on his face. ?[B]Don?t try to pin your inability to keep the children in line on me.[/B]?

Catherine?s eyebrow just raised in disbelief, ?[B]My inability? Don?t force me to point out how being a historian is not an indication that one is qualified for leading an institution such as Chaos.[/B]?

?[B]I hardly think I would have been appointed if I was not capable of doing the job.[/B]? Lector said haughtily.

?[B]And you call yourself a historian,[/B]? Catherine said with genuine irritation, ignoring his indignant gasp. ?[B]Just as I am more than well versed in all of the forms of magi technology that we teach or students, I am also well versed in history. You are not the first person to have been given a position based on political power instead of actual talent or ability, and you most certainly won?t be the last.[/B]?

She cut him off before he could object. ?[B]You have been neglecting your duties as Head Master and you haven?t even been here that long! Instead you waste your time bothering the teachers while they are on their breaks and ignore the important reports like the upgrades to the classrooms and the need for security for the new supplies being sent to replace the ones that were stolen.[/B]?

?[B]I am doing no such thing,[/B]? Lector said angrily. ?[B]Gathering information is always important.[/B]?

?[B]On your own time Head Master! Your duty to the school comes first![/B]? Catherine moved to head for the door. ?[B]I don?t have the time or the patience to explain your incompetence to you.[/B]?

?[B]And I have no time for teachers who fail at maintaining discipline! I assure you, anyone not following through with their responsibilities have no place here at Chaos.[/B]? Lector shot back, causing Catherine to halt at the door.

She shook her head and turned back to face him. ?[B]If this is your way of saying you intend to dismiss me?[I] don?t[/I]. I care about each and every child here and I will not stand by and allow you to interfere with their education.[/B]?

?[B]Then I suggest you start doing your job so I won?t have to [I]dismiss[/I] you.[/B]? Lector said nastily as he brushed past her to leave, nearly running into Catherine?s friend Jessica who was raising her hand to knock on the door when Moebius opened it.

?[B]I?m sorry, I don?t mean to intrude, but I?m here for?[/B]? She stopped when she saw Catherine standing further back in the room.

?[B]It?s quite alright,[/B]? Lector had regained his composure. ?[B]Lady Almagest and I are finished.[/B]? He nodded graciously to Jessica and then gave Catherine a short glare before leaving.

Catherine sighed once he was gone and Jessica had closed the door behind her. ?[B]Is that who I think it is? The idiot that was promoted to Head Master?[/B]?

?[B]Jessica,[/B]? Catherine said in a reproachful tone of voice.

?[B]Don?t worry I'll drop it. Besides, I?ve got better things to tell you anyway. You?ll never guess what?s happened![/B]?

?[B]Then tell me.[/B]?

?[B]Aww.[/B]? Jessica pouted a bit. ?[B]You?re no fun. But I?ll tell you just the same, not only have the Underdogs started taking over New Czenoble but King Mideus has passed on![/B]?

?[B]What?[/B]? Catherine asked incredulously.

?[B]Lets go! I?ll tell you everything I know over dinner![/B]?

Catherine was too startled by the news to even notice the sound of someone hastily taking off down the corridor from just outside the door to her office. She did not pay attention when she saw Lector Moebius further down the hallway heading for the stairs leading down to the first level of the school, clearly in a great hurry.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Though the day at the Eshe Rehema Medical Center had started out calm and collected, as the day went by, things rapidly became more busy. It first it made no sense, until the rumor that there was fighting going on down in New Czenoble between the group known as the Underdogs and an RPG gunship, the [I]Vigilant[/I] made it's way into the city. And in a rather predictable manner, many citizens were panicking over the news, resulting in more accidents than usual, filling up the medical center rather quickly.

"[B]Oh for the love of![/B]" Alecia was exasperated as she took a tiny short break in one of the separate rooms just for staff. "[B]What are people thinking? Panicking like that solves nothing![/B]"

There was no one else in there as she paced a bit instead of sitting down at one of the many tables for either having tea, coffee or a bite to eat. Something that normally she did, have a cup of tea that is. But at the moment she was more worried about whether or not there was any truth to the rumors, after all Alexander was in New Czenoble.[I] As soon as my shift is over, I'm going to head over to the RPG headquarters.[/I] Decided she started to head for the where the stuff was for making tea, only to stop and turn when one of the nurses came into the room and called her name.

"[B]What is it?[/B]" She asked her, alarmed by the serious look on the woman's face.

"[B]It's your husband Lady Almagest, he was just brought in.[/B]" She caught Alecia's arm as she started to hurry past her. "[B]Wait! I was told it's not serious and to tell you that the rest of your work has been handed over to someone else.[/B]" She gave Alecia a kind smile after telling her what room he was in. "[B]Now get going, and no running in the halls![/B]"

Alecia nodded and left, doing her best to be quick and yet not outright run. A million thoughts were running through her mind as she wondered what in the world had happened and how he ended up in High Czenoble. From what he had told her the other day, he was not expecting to get back until much later that evening. A few minutes later and she was in the room where Alexander was sitting on the bed while someone tended to his head and the doctor checking him out turned to face Alecia.

"[B]There you are Lady Almagest.[/B]" He nodded and then started to explain after Alecia reluctantly stopped to give him her attention.

"[B]We're not sure what happened, though it looks like someone struck him from behind and left him lying in the street. Other than some bruising and clear indications that he's suffering from a concussion, I'd say he's fine. Now normally, I'd recommend that he spend the night, but with all the chaos right now, we're a bit strained at the moment and I'd rather send him home since you can keep an eye on him.[/B]"

"[B]Of course, I can do that.[/B]" Alecia replied and then took the detailed note the doctor had written up for her with his diagnosis and findings. She glanced at it briefly before putting it in her pocket.

"[B]I understand that his superior officer Jonathan Grants is coming over to get a statement, once he's done you can head for home. If you need anything just let me know.[/B]"

"[B]Thank you,[/B]" Alecia said. "[B]I will.[/B]"

Then once the doctor had left and the nurse who had been putting something on the bump on Alexander's head stopped and handed Alecia the little vial of the salve along with the rest of the notes as to what he could take for pain, Alecia closed the door behind them and went over to sit next to Alexander, taking his hands in hers.

"[B]What happened?[/B]" She asked, at the same time the door opened after a very brief knock. It was Jonathan Grants. He closed the door behind him and came over.

He had a grim look on his face. "[B]If you could give us a moment please Alecia? I need to talk to Alexander.[/B]"

But to Alecia's surprise Alexander held her hands fast. "[B]There's no need for my wife to leave, she stays.[/B]" His tone was unusually firm, making Alecia wonder what in the world was going on.

"[B]Then I'll get straight to the point, what happened? How did you end up lying on the streets of High Czenoble when you were suppose to be on assignment in New Czenoble.[/B]"

"[B]I was, I left on the first train this morning, arriving shortly after dawn, around seven to eight am I would imagine. I got something to eat and then headed to the slums to check on the leads I had, but I never made it and you know why sir.[/B]"

Jonathan frowned a bit before responding. "[B]I can only assume you refer to the arrival of the [I]Vigilant[/I].[/B]"

"[B]What else? I deviated from my intended assignment to see what was going on, to understand why they were issuing a warning for people to clear the area around the Shot Tower.[/B]" Alexander grimaced a bit in pain and then continued. [B]"Perhaps you can tell me sir, why the hell they used lethal force first, breaking from standard procedure![/B]"

"[B]Ah yes, that.[/B]" Jonathan ignored Alecia's look of horror. "[B]A word of advice Alexander, considering what's going to be announced, you would do best to keep that to yourself.[/B]"

"[B]Are you out of your mind? I can't lie about something like that![/B]" He winced again, reaching up with his right hand to grasp his forehead. "[B]You don't know what it was like sir, they killed all those people, they didn't even try to use the water guns to get them to disperse.[/B]"

"[B]I mean it Alexander, drop it. Trust me on this.[/B]" Alexander just let go of his forehead and looked away. "[B]How did you get back? And more importantly, who attacked you?"[/B]

"[B]I don't know, all I remember is the [I]Vigilant[/I] opening fire on the people and attempting to get clear and then I woke up here in High Czenoble.[/B]"

"[B]That's it?[/B]"

Alexander nodded. "[B]I know there's more, but it's a blank. The only thing I kind of remember is that it seemed like I was being carried by someone and there were some voices, but other than something about the [I]Vigilant[/I] being defeated and helping with organizing forces that are gathering in Brigit Town and other cities that's about it.[/B]"

"[B]Are you certain that you don't remember?[/B]" Jonathan gave him a knowing look, something that Alecia found utterly confusing.

"[B]Yes, I really don't remember.[/B]"

"[B]Retrograde amnesia,[/B]" Alecia spoke up, startling both of them. "[B]It was in the notes the doctor gave me, it's not uncommon to have a loss of one's memories that were formed shortly before being injured.[/B]"

"[B]How do you get them back?[/B]" Grants asked her.

Alecia shrugged, "[B]There is no way to get them back, some people eventually remember and some don't.[/B]" She stood up. "[B]If you have further questions I suggest you finish up, I'm taking Alexander home to get some much needed rest.[/B]"

Grants sighed a bit. "[B]Only one thing, and that's to advise you to say nothing about what you told me Alexander, don't go telling people you saw the [I]Vigilant[/I] break from procedure. And definitely don't mention anything about it going down. Please trust me on this.[/B]" He nodded to both of them and left.

Alecia went over and sat back down next to Alexander, pulling him close into an embrace. "[B]What kind of trouble did you stumble into love?[/B]" She pulled back and kissed him lightly on the lips.

"[B]How about I tell you when we get home? I'd like to get out of these dirty clothes and get cleaned up.[/B]" He winced a bit. "[B]And then settle into a comfortable chair. My head feels like it's going to fall off.[/B]"

Alecia let go as he stood up and then took his arm in hers. "[B]I have something I need to tell you as well.[/B]"

"[B]Oh? And what would that be?[/B]" He asked as they went outside and got into the carriage that was waiting for them.

She smiled and motioned for him to lean over a bit so she could whisper in his ear, smiling broadly at his astonished expression when she was done. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]Still no word...no, there would be no word. His office was silent, the pale moonlight casting a sombre glow in the pitch coloured room. Behind the large exotic timber desk Daedalus could hear only his own pained breathing, mixed with barely unshed tears. He regarded the old bottle in front of him, a present from Leonhart...how long had he had it at this point ? Daedalus couldn't remember, now had just seemed the time to open it. He hadn't bothered with a glass... like so many other things, it was just unnecessary.

The amber coloured alcohol burned all the way down his throat, it didn't matter... lately life had begun to lose a lot of it's sense of meaning for the oldest still-living Almagest. Gripping a small sienna coloured photograph in his right hand, he took another stiff drink from the open bottle on his desk. Helen... he'd never been able to protect her from anything, she was too like her mother, always wanted to experience things for herself first-hand, always...

It had been a bright summers day... some fourteen years beforehand. The differences were obvious, Daedalus hair still retained some of it's blond colour, Dwalish stood next to his father in their fleet uniforms, he'd just made captain the time it was taken. Mason had stood quietly next to his mother... another part of his life he had yet to fix in his limited time, he just didn't think Mason would ever let his father back into his life. And then there was Helen, holding her new baby brother confidently in her arms, she was only nineteen... so, so young...

Daedalus had known, somehow that she was already gone, his beautiful, dedicated daughter. She had never caused him so much as one worry in life. Despite his cold exterior, he had always taken an interest in his children, though never knowing how to properly express it. She hadn't ever been top of her class in CHAOS, but Helen had fire, drive, all she'd wanted to do was join the Royal Guard...He had been so proud of her, so to disappear without so much as a word to anyone, it was enough to let him know...she was... He raised the bottle to his lips and simply swallowed, allowing oblivion to overtake his senses.

"[b]Daedalus ?[/b]"

Harriet. He tried to open his eyes, but the morning sun burned them. Raising his hand to shield his face, he tried again, more slowly. The world suddenly came back into focus, along with all his pain and grief, he had failed her too, his beloved wife, he had allowed them to take their child away.

"[b]You never came to bed last night...[/b]"

"[b]I know.[/b]"

Wordlessly, he watched as she picked the bottle up off the desk and place it in his waste-bin. Her eyes were red and puffy, obviously she'd been crying as well. Daedalus rose slowly from the chair, and held his wife tightly against himself. It was enough, she sobbed into his chest as his own tears trickled down his face, it was all part of healing, he'd learned it so many times before... it just never got any easier to lose someone you loved with all your heart.

"[b]I'm so sorry Harriet. I...I should have been there with her... I should have picked up the signals...[/b]"

Reaching up, she pushed a bedraggled lock of his silvery-white hair from in front of his face. Her eyes were still streaming, but her expression was calm, maternal even.

"[b]It's so like you Daedalus, other people hurt us and you blame yourself. It's selfish really, but one of the things I love about you. You always make me feel safe...It wasn't your fault, no matter how badly you think of yourself, it never will be.[/b]"

His vision misted over again with fresh tears, they stood there, silently for what seemed like an eternity.

"[b]Lord Daedalus ?[/b]"

Three sharp knocks at the door broke the calm. Slowly wiping his eyes on his sleeve, Daedalus walked over and unlocked it. Gravius stood there, his appearance was ever perfectly maintained, but the expression on his face was one of deep concern.

"[b]What is it Gravius ?[/b]"

"[b]King Mideus sir, he's passed away...[/b]"

"[b]What ?[/b]"

"[b]Yes, but that's not all... Daedalus, it's erupted into complete anarchy.[/b]"

"[b]Gravius, please sit and tell me everything.[/b]"

Taking a chair, Daedalus simply listened to what had transpired in the hours past. He couldn't believe it had all occurred so quickly, but what galled him most had been Rosier's response, the fool, he'd pushed things further out of control with heavy handed tactics. Harriet had already brought her hand to cover his mouth, even if she had been born into wealth, she had always sympathised with the plights of the people of New Czenovia as human beings, any death had always bothered her.

"[b]Anything else my friend ?[/b]"

Slowly Gravius broke eye-contact with Daedalus, removing a letter from inside his jacket and handing it over. Instantly Daedalus recognised the Royal Seal, but of even great concern to him was the fact he recognised the handwriting style as being Mideus' own. Quickly Daedalus broke the wax holding the envelope closed, a single sheet of paper slid out into his waiting hand.

[i]Daedalus, my friend.

If you are reading this, then I have passed on, and Czenovia is still in strife. In these dark days, friends such as you must take a greater role than ever before in defending the nation we have helped to build. At the same time as this letter, military orders were issued promoting you to Air-General of the First Fleet effective-immediately. Like so many years ago Daedalus, you are the only one who can protect us all, please my friend, do one last service in my memory.

-Mideus Prosperous[/i]

"[b]He really is gone then...[/b]"

"[b]What did the letter say Daedalus ?[/b]"

Sighing, he handed the letter over to Harriet. Her expression changed almost instantly from curiosity to concern.

"[b]First Air-Fleet, then that means...[/b]"

"[b]Yeah, I've been made responsible for Czenovia's internal defence... I imagine that includes dealing with the rebels...[/b]"

"[b]Daedalus...[/b]"

She extended her small hand out to grasp his own.

"[b]I know. I will.[/b]"

Pushing himself out of his seat, he kissed his wife before turning back to the now similarly standing Gravius.

"[b]It seems I've just un-retired old friend.[/b]"

"[b]Do you want me to come with you sir ?[/b]"

Daedalus shook his head, as skilled as the ex-Sergeant-Major was, he needed him here protecting Harriet and the rest of the family.

"[b]No Gravius, I want you to go find Dwalish and tell him to meet by my airship in about ten minutes, don't tell him anything though, I want to explain it myself.[/b]"

"[b]Aye sir.[/b]"

Harriet waited until Gravius had left the room before rising from her own seat and wrapping her arms around him.

"[b]I'd ask you to consider turning down the request Daedalus, but I know you won't... Just please, be careful.[/b]"

"[b]I promise I will.[/b]"

He wanted nothing more than to be able to stay with her, but he couldn't, duty would not permit it. Breaking the embrace he strode out of his office to shower and change his clothes. It was going to be another difficult day.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/img]
[/CENTER]

"[b]So what was so vital you needed to speak to me about ?[/b]"

Dwalish's arms were cross as he leaned against the exterior of the airship.

"[b]We're going to collect you're brother first, I'll explain on the way.[/b]"

The conversation had been quite one-sided, with Daedalus explaining the contents of the letter to his son while the latter sat silently absorbing the information with a stern expression. It was going to be awkward for them both, Dwalish was not only currently serving in the First-Fleet, but the executive officer of the Sentinel, meaning he now answered to his father as it’s new commander. Daedalus had no doubt about Dwalish’s professionalism in the matter, it would simply take time for them to adjust to one another.

“[b]So why are we picking up Harry ?[/b]”

It had been the one burning question on Dwalish’s lips since learning they were collecting his sibling.

“[b]We’re taking him with us.[/b]”

“[b]You’re not serious ?![/b]”

“[b]Deadly.[/b]”

Dwalish’s composure broke, he hadn’t been around his little brother much, due to his own career and the age gap between the two, but he still cared for his welfare. For their father to be taking him onto a battleship did not strike him as being particularly parentally-aware.

“[b]Why ?[/b]”

“[b]It’s the safest place for him at the moment... and I want you both close to me. I admit Dwalish, if you weren’t already serving on the Sentinel I’d have had you transferred aboard.[/b]”

“[b]This is because of Helen isn’t it ?[/b]”

His father didn’t respond.

“[b]She knew the risks dad, it came with the job. You and I know that better than most people.[/b]”

“[b]I know that God-damn it Dwalish !! It doesn’t make it any easier...I just... I just want you both to be safe alright ?[/b]”

“[b]Yeah... I know.[/b]”

The ship touched down outside of CHAOS just as the bell tolled the end of the day. Harriet probably already knew what Daedalus was doing, he’d read as much from her gestures and body-language. When this was all over, if he was still alive, she’d probably kill him.

“[b]There’s Harry.[/b]”

“[b]Where ?[/b]”

“[b]In the first group coming out, Victoria is with him.[/b]”

“[b]Alright, I’ll get him, you wait here.[/b]”

“[b]Yes sir.[/b]”

Dwalish gave a mock salute as his father left the airship.

Somehow Harrison didn’t seem to have noticed his father’s approach, grasping his son’s shoulder, Daedalus was a little amused as the colour drained from his son’s face when he met his gaze.

“[b]Dad, I...uh... Why’re you here ?[/b]”

“[b]We need to talk..[/b]”

If possible, Harrison’s face seemed to get even paler. What was going on ?

“[b]Is there something you want to tell me Harrison ?[/b]”

“[b]...Dad... I...uhhh... N...No...[/b]”

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Daedalus wondered what possible trouble his son could have gotten into now. By the sound of it, Daedalus had simply asked the right question at the right time, at least keeping Harrison close meant he could keep an eye on him.

“[b]Go wait with Dwalish in the airship, I need to talk to Catherine.[/b]”

Harrison’s mouth opened, but no sounds came out, he simply grabbed his bag and walked slowly over to the airship. Briskly moving to Catherine’s office, he found his sister putting on her coat, ready to leave.

“[b]Daedalus ? What‘re you doing here ?[/b]”

“[b]I just came to collect Harrison Catherine...Listen, I won’t be around Rosengard for a while... I’m sorry to have to put you in this position... but I need you to be the one to try to stop Fontleroy’s attempts to sell Magitech.[/b]”

“[b]Daedalus, what's going on ?[/b]”

“[b]I’ve been recalled back into the military Catherine.[/b]”

“[b]What ? How ?[/b]”

“[b]King Mideus' orders.[/b]”

“[b]Daedalus, Mideus is dead.[/b]”

“[b]I know, but the orders predate it. I’m sorry Catherine, I don't have time to spare. Please, take care of yourself baby sister.[/b]”

Catherine said nothing, her face was filled with disquiet for her eldest brother... her remaining brother. Turning on his heel, Daedalus left her office and marched back towards the airship. Harrison was sitting next to Dwalish, the colour had returned to his face, and from both their expressions, they were concocting some kind of story expected to satisfy Daedalus’ coming questions.

“[b]Harrison, I don’t know what happened today that had you worried. If you don’t want to tell me, I won’t ask, I just want you to promise me you’ll try and not do anything dangerous.[/b]”

“[b]Alright dad, I promise.[/b]”

Moving out of the pilot’s seat, Harrison took the seat behind his father quietly. The airship gently rose from the grounds outside the Academy before darting into the skies towards Mount Grail and Czenovia’s military aerodrome. The military aerodrome was slightly smaller than it’s commercial counterpart, but far more heavily guarded, using the mountain itself as partial cover. To cross over this patch of terrain without permission meant almost certain death. Only moments after the thought had crossed Daedalus’ mind, a sharp female voice crackled over the radio.

“[b]Unidentified airship, this is Air-Fleet Control, identify yourself or prepare to be treated as hostile.[/b]”

Holding the mic to his mouth, Daedalus cleared his throat before speaking, he hoped the orders of his promotion had already arrived, it would be more than a little irritating to be shot out of the sky.

“[b]Air-Fleet Control, this is Air-General Daedalus Almagest of the First Air-Fleet, please stand down and prepare for my arrival.[/b]”

He could hear some low chatter over the radio.

“[b]Air-General Almagest sir, we‘ve been informed of your arrival, congratulations on your promotion. However, we‘ve been asked to request you rendezvous directly with the Sentinel and Air-General Litheway. The ship is currently at Docking Platform Two.[/b]”

“[b]Thank you Control, Air-General Almagest out.[/b]”

The trip was platform was hardly exciting but Harrison’s face was still glued to the nearest window as he drank in the view. Docking Platform 2 was literally hewn into the side of Mount Grail, used for the maintenance of Czenovia’s largest military air-vessels.

“[b]There she is.[/b]”

Dwalish pointed towards the largest ship Harrison had ever seen in his life. It couldn‘t even really be called an airship, it was more like an air-battleship, and now his father was it’s commander with Dwalish. Harrison would definitely have to get a tour.

“[b]Dwalish, can you pilot us in, I need to talk to Harrison for a minute.[/b]”

“[b]Understood sir.[/b]”

“[b]No need for sarcasm Dwalish.[/b]”

“[b]Understood sir.[/b]”

Daedalus sighed in defeat.

“[b]Harrison, you‘re going to be staying with Dwalish and myself on board the Sentinel for the time-being, unfortunately they don‘t allow civilians on military ships, so you’re receiving a military commission to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant effective-immediately. There’s a uniform stored in the compartment over your seat, please change into it before we dock.[/b]”

To his credit, Harrison seemed to take all the information in without question, reaching up and removing the uniform. Perhaps, Daedalus thought, he really was ready for this. Moving off into the back, Daedalus waited for Dwalish to dock the ship, doubtlessly Air-General Litheway would be waiting for him.

The docking bay of the Sentinel was larger than Daedalus had expected, the Invincible’s have been considerable smaller by comparison, but then the ship itself was considerably larger than it’s predecessor from nearly half a century before. Harrison returned, trying to straighten his uniform as much as he could, inwardly Daedalus was very proud, even though he shouldn’t have been allowed join the military for another four years, he couldn’t help but admire how right the uniform looked on him.

“[b]How does it look dad ?[/b]”

“[b]Good son, very good.[/b]”

“[b]Uhh, dad, what exactly will I be doing ?[/b]”

“[b]You’re going to be Dwalish’s aide.[/b]”

“[b]WHAT ?![/B]”

Daedalus smiled as both brothers reacted exactly the same way.

“[b]Why can’t he be your aide dad ?[/b]”

Dwalish hadn’t looked away, but he was definitely annoyed by the idea.

“[b]Because he doesn’t have a high enough rank to be a General’s aide Dwalish, plus it’ll be good for you.[/b]”

Dwalish sighed, wondering whether or not this was simply revenge for his earlier sarcasm.

[b]Alright, we’re landing now.[/b]

There was a slight shudder as the smaller airship touched down in the bay, releasing the hatch, Daedalus moved down the small flight of steps with his sons in tow. A small, portly dark-haired man who looked to be about fifty stood in matching uniform to Daedalus with several other officers who saluted at his arrival.

“[b]Air-General Almagest, welcome.[/b]”

“[b]Air-General Litheway, thank you.[/b]”

“[b]Colonel Almagest, welcome back.[/b]”

“[b]Thank you sir.[/b]”

“[b]Alright then, let the log show that at this time on today’s date, I've transferred command of the First Air-Fleet in accordance with King Mideus’ orders to Air-General Almagest. Good hunting Daedalus.[/b]”

“[b]Thank you.[/b]”

Saluting to one another, Litheway signalled a young woman who Daedalus assumed to be the General’s aide and walked towards a nearby military air-shuttle, smaller than Daedalus’ personal airship, they were used to move high ranking officers to and from their ships. Looking over the remaining officers, Daedalus turned to Dwalish.

“[b]Colonel Almagest, I will now be conducting a tour of inspection, please lead.[/b]”

“[b]Understood sir, this way.[/b]”

Daedalus knew, without a doubt, the conflict was going to get a lot worse before it got better.[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/donner-avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/princessaugustine-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]Donner Stark left his underlings deal with the burning remains of the [I]Vigilante[/I], and hurried to High Czenoble through the tunnels he had come to know so well. They took him into a cell at the dungeon under the Mirror Palace, where Princess Augustine was impatiently waiting for his report. The princess was naturally standing on the other side of the iron bars, as a safety measure Donner though was very reasonable.

[B]"There you are! By the Dynasty, what a fine mess you have gotten me into!"[/B] Augustine scolded her. [B]"Your stunt at New Czenoble only got Rosier more enraged and desperate."[/B]

[B]"As much as I'd like to say that downing the gunship was our doing, it unfortunately wasn't. There was an airship with a Jolly Roger..."[/B] Donner tried to explain.

[B]"Jolly Roger? You mean airpirates?!"[/B] Augustine exclaimed in disbelief. But her expression quickly changed. [B]"Ah, I see... How coincidental that Agron's son is on a visit right this moment. Mr. Stark, you could run into a man who calls himself Jack Deacon soon. When you do, accept his offer. He could be very beneficial to our cause in the long run..."[/B]

[B]"Our cause?"[/B] Donner questioned. [B]"Princess, you made it very clear that you would only help us if it would ensure your place in the Crystalline Throne."[/B]

Augustine's face turned sinister. [B]"Yes, that reminds me... Explain why my brothers still live?"[/B]

[B]"I apologize, but there was an interruption at the Chimaera Cup. We couldn't carry out our mission when the risk of exposure was so high. We eliminated the woman who intervened, but I heard our escape was spotted nevertheless."[/B]

[B]"A woman? Ah, that must be why my dear bodyguard didn't turn up on duty this morning. Nice work, Mr. Stark, very nice work indeed"[/B], Augustine said, her every word oozing with despise. [B]"For your information, my beloved father passed away earlier today. So my plans are ruined by the incompetence of you and your wife. Never should've trusted you lowlifes in the first place."[/B]

Donner Stark was enraged by the words of the princess, but he knew that if he played nicely now, the satisfaction of seeing her die later would be many times stronger. The bars in between them prevented him to hurt her anyway.

[B]"Mr. Stark, our future together now depends on my father's decision. If I am crowned as a Dynast Queen tomorrow, I may be able to forgive you. But for now... get out of my sight."[/B]

Augustine turned her back on the man. Donner Stark just shook his head in frustration and left the dungeon.[/FONT]

[CENTER]~~~~~

[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/blair-avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]While his husband was meeting the princess, Blair Stark was in Camp Rottweiler visiting two of their most special hostages. This encampment was much larger and much better hidden than Camp Dobermann or the others, and it was situated deep under Mt. Grail, in a ruined city that was uncovered by the Underdogs only half a year ago. These ruins were the thing that had turned the tides in favor of the rebellion, for they contained a secret that would ensure the victory of whoever held it.

All the alchemists and other scientists were kidnapped for the sole purpose of exploring that secret, and to make it work. But the Starks had found out that one man was the key: Leonhart Almagest.

The patriarch of the most influential family in all Czenovia was standing in shackles in front of Blair. His silvery hair was greasy, his expensive suit was torn and covered in dirt, there were dark bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep, but somehow he managed to retain an aura that both impressed and intimidated Blair. Next to the man was Callisto Prometheo, the leading scientist of High Czenoble, who was in a much worse shape than him.

[B]"What do you want now?"[/B] Leonhart asked her in a tired voice. [B]"I'm already working on it, it's just going to take some more time."[/B]

[B]"It's not that. I want to hear more about Project Alchimaera"[/B], Blair demanded. It hadn't been easy for her to hear about it in the first place, but now she knew that the son she had missed for so long had been a victim of it as well. [B]"I need to understand why you would undergo such a horrible procedure on innocent people, knowing that they would die."[/B]

[B]"Who are you to speak of innocence?!"[/B] Callisto cried out. It really showed that the older woman had lost all of her dignity and hope. [B]"This project was started to protect decent people from the likes of you! Those filthy brats we took from their stinking hole, they all should've been happy that they could give up their lives to serve the Dynasty! But no, you lot won't be satisfied until you get it all, will you?"[/B]

[B]"Callisto, please"[/B], Leonhart begged. He knew very well that she was only making the situation worse. But Blair listened to the rant calmly. She had heard it so many times before from so many different sources. She just didn't bother to explain herself anymore.

[B]"But one of the specimens did not die! It practically [I]refused[/I] to do so! So the project was a success after all"[/B], Callisto laughed. Her eyes were gleaming as she went on. [B]"You can be sure that His Majesty will use that poor bastard to cut you down, you'll see! The abilities I gave to the specimen... not even your pitiful weapons can bring it down! It will march right into your filthy lair, shielded by it's invisible and impenetrable skin, and then it's heart will detonate, destroying all of -"[/B]

A gunshot straight to her forehead silenced Callisto Prometheo for good. Blair lowered the hand that held the smoking pistol. Leonhart looked at her incredulously.

[B]"She was talking about my son"[/B], Blair said coldly. But her heart was aching, because she knew that if Callisto had told the truth, she would have to kill Gadget as well.[/FONT]

[CENTER]~~~~~

[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]Gadget couldn't believe that he had made it back to High Czenoble. Neither could he still believe what he had seen happening earlier. The gunship had started to fire the crowd in front of him, and the people had started to fire back at it, and suddenly everything was in flames. There had been blood and corpses everywhere.

Yet somehow Gadget had managed to walk through all of that. He was sure that he had been shot at as well, but there were no wounds in him, no marks at all. And when he had finally reached the Aerodrome, he had just boarded one of the airships without anyone stopping him.

His head had been buzzing throughout all that, and everything had felt like in a dream, but now as he sat down on a bench at a picturesque little park in High Czenoble, things started to make sense again. Gadget realized that he had been taken over by his Chimaera powers, just like Macey had told him. Thanks to those powers he had survived the mayhem. Now he needed to find Vincent and Macey, and tell them everything he had found out.[/FONT]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/img] [img] http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img]
[/center]

Macey woke with a start. The world lazily blurred into existence before her. A young man’s face was near hers. His long hair was tied back, but wisps of vivid blond fell beside his face and almost tickled her nose. His eyes were large and bright, full of mischief. And his smile was genuine and seemed to envelope her.

His voice was deep and warm. ‘How are you feeling?’

Macey pushed herself up slightly. She was lying on an elaborate four poster bed. For a brief, wonderful moment, she had forgotten the last half hour. Now as she regained consciousness, she remembered the anonymous letter. Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Gustave brushed a tear from her face with his hand. His eyes were serious.

‘I’m sorry,’ he said finally.

Macey sniffed and brushed her cheeks with the backs of her hands. ‘Why are you sorry? He was your cousin. We were already divorced…’

‘You were divorced, but don’t doubt for a second that he loved you. That never left him.’

Macey did not want to hear that Vincent loved her. Tears streamed down her face with even more intensity than before. ‘I know, but I can’t hear that right now. I just- I could never have expected this…’

The note was sitting on the bed side table. Gustave picked it up and read over it. It did not contain any identifiable marks; it was as anonymous as a letter could get. The only thing that Gustave really noticed was the quality of the paper; it was thick and high-grade. It would have to have come from within High Czenoble, he thought.

‘This country is on the verge of tearing itself apart,’ said Gustave quietly. ‘Have you thought about your future here?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I mean,’ Gustave put the note back on the bed side table, ‘have you given any thought to whether or not you will stay here? This is not my home and soon, I will return to Le Monde. But what will you do? I would not forgive myself if you came to harm. I have lost my cousin and that was more than I have ever been willing to lose.’

Macey moved across and sat on the side of the bed and looked at Gustave. ‘I don’t know what I’m going to do,’ she said quietly. ‘Before I make a decision I need to go back to Rosengard and talk to Eva and the others. I need to know what their plans are.’

Gustave nodded. ‘Understandable. There is no rush to get home right now, though. Why don’t we have dinner and a ride around the lake before I take you back to Rosengard? It might help to clear your mind.’

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison had thought that the surprises were finally over, that things would start to settle back down to how they had been before Leonhart had been killed. So it was an utter shock when someone grasped his shoulder as he was leaving Chaos and he turned to realize that it was his father. And the only thing he could think of was? [I]how did he find out? How did he learn that I?ve been sneaking into the tunnels with Josh?[/I] He had not of course, but the true reason for him coming to Chaos to pick him up was an even greater shock. One that he had not seen coming at all.

He couldn?t think of a reason for him and his older brother Dwalish to come and pick him up in his own air ship no less, and he would have never guessed that they would head for Czenovia?s military aerodrome. After all his father was retired wasn?t he? But when he contacted them using the title Air-General Daedalus Almagest of the First Air-Fleet, he realized that obviously that was no longer true. [I]When did this happen?[/I] But then that thought was lost when Dwalish pointed out the ship they were heading for. It was the most unbelievable sight he had ever seen, he had read about air-battleships but a picture in a book couldn?t prepare one for it?s sheer massive size. It was unbelievably huge, making the few air-ships Harrison had seen over the years look like nothing more than a tiny little speck.

But even that was nothing compared to what he was told next as his father explained that of all things he was receiving a military commission to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. [I]What the? but? don?t you have to be older? [/I]He didn?t know what to say. Turning blindly to do as his father asked, changing into the uniform in question. Too surprised by the turn of events to really object. [I]I thought you had to be eighteen to enlist.[/I] And then another thought crossed his mind as he returned to where his father was, once the uniform was on. [I]Mother is going to kill me.[/I]

And then, there wasn?t time for questions, or objections, though at the moment the whole thing was too overwhelming for him to even know what to ask, let alone object to. The one thing that did stick out was his father?s behavior. The past week had been confusing as hell in so many ways, from him actually hugging him, coming down to Chaos and dressing down the Head Master. As well as the surprise of him offering to give him personal lessons. And then the greatest shock of all, saving him from his own stupidity over the bomb that had nearly destroyed Rosengard. [I]Why is father so worried? What is going on? Why has he returned to the military? Why is he taking me with him?[/I]

His mind was running in circles, enough that he was silent for the inspection tour, saying nothing at all as he merely took in the sights as Dwalish pointed out key aspects of the ship to his father for the tour. Doing his best to try and remember everything. [I]Gods, I?m going to get lost trying to find my way around in this ship. [/I]The engines alone were massive beyond belief. [I]One could get lost for days in that.[/I] He thought as the tour finally began to wrap up and Dwalish took them to the bridge. Harrison was so lost in trying to keep everything straight that it wasn?t until his father griped his shoulder that he realized he was spacing off. The suddenness of it caused him to jump and Dwalish just gave off a faint little chuckle of amusement.

?[B]This way 2nd Lieutenant, Colonel. There?s something else we need to attend to.[/B]? Daedalus had an interesting look on his face, one that Harrison had never seen before. He looked as if something was amusing, though what, Harrison had no idea.

He followed along once his dad let go, coming along behind him as he headed off the bridge and through the corridors of the massive ship, trying to ignore the occasional snicker from Dwalish as they headed for wherever it was that Daedalus was taking them.

?[B]What?s so damn funny![/B]? Harrison demanded in a harsh whisper that only carried to Dwalish after he had snickered yet again.

?[B]You?ll see Harry, you?ll see.[/B]? He replied as he stifled yet another laugh.

And a few minutes later, he did, as his father lead them into what could only be a training room with racks filled with wooden and metal swords for practice. Harrison was still unclear as to what was going on until Dwalish closed the door and then made himself comfortable on one of the few places one could sit down. A bit of a smirk still on his face.

?[B]Fetch a pair of standard wooden swords Harrison,[/B]? Daedalus ordered him from his position of standing in the middle of the room.

He hesitated and then moved to do as told, picking up a set of standard Czenovian swords off the rack, ignoring the other ones that he had never seen before. He looked around for the padded armor often used for practicing but there was nothing else in the large circular room. [I]Where is the??[/I]

?[B]Bring them here.[/B]? Daedalus told him in a tone of voice that demanded obedience, something Harrison had never heard from him before. He moved to hand them to his father, instinctively obeying him without even realizing it.

His father took one from him and then took up a stance that Harrison recognized, prompting him to do the same out of habit. It was similar to what his own teacher would do at Chaos to start a sword spar or lesson. [I]Is he going to start my lessons now?[/I] Though why there was no padded armor made no sense, his teachers had never practiced without it.

?[B]Uh? Dad?[/B]? He started to say in confusion only to hush when Daedalus shook his head and merely motioned with his hand, indicating that Harrison should begin the bout. Something that after a moment?s hesitation he did, sticking to what he had learned at school.

It seemed easy enough at first as his father effortlessly parried and matched his every move. But something was off and the longer they continued the more he couldn?t shake it. It was similar to what he would do in school, the different stances and movements that a teacher would use to indicate a change of sparring style. No words were spoken as his father took him from one style to the next. But his father?s movements were different from his teachers, in a way that made him feel uneasy. [I]What kind of lesson is this?[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Gustave raised his glass to clink gently against Macey's and the two drank to general good health, regardless of what lay ahead. The conversation flowed gently, not too cheerful, but tending towards subjects of mutual interest. The latest in technology, business, subjects that might've been dull for listeners, but interesting for both. Eventually the dinner came to a close, and the two stepped out onto the lawn. Lazarus, looking fully recovered and resplendent in a jeweled saddle cocked his head and plumed his tail grandly, showing off just a little for them both.[/i]

"They say Chimaera begin to resemble their owners."

"So you're a showboater then?"

"Ah, you see right through me, don't you."

[i]With practiced movements, Gustave led Lazarus through his paces, the tread moving from slow to quick in an instant. The Chimaera led them both across the lake, the sound of his massive talons crunching heavily into the gravel, grinding the rock to dust. Macey held onto Gustave's waist gamely, her head pressed against his warm back, feeling safe as the two swept grandly around the estate at a fantastic speed. And when Gustave urged Lazarus back down towards the stables, he gently spread his wings to slow them down without jarring, and came to a full stop, tossing his head brightly. Gustave slid down from his back and reached up to catch Macey around her waist.

They said their goodbyes very politely, perhaps too politely, with the note of Vincent's death a dull weight in Macey's purse. The servants brought out her effects, while another ostler lead up Macey's gelding. Using the mounting block, she slid into the saddle gamely and gathered up the reins in one gloved hand.[/i]

"Will you call on me tomorrow Gustave?"

"If it's convenient for you, I would love to."

[i]She held out one hand to him and he kissed it gently, then waved as Macey wheeled the gelding around in a quick spin and gave him a kick. The two took off like an arrow loosed from a bow, disappearing into a white blur at the corner of the gate.

No more than twenty minutes later, Macey dismounted at the stables of Rosengard, the groom taking her reins gallantly, as she walked towards the house, Mell coming out to take her hat, jacket, and gloves. A short bath later, Macey was dressing in a light gauzy gown, suitable for reposing both in bed and in the lady's parlor on the east side of the estate. Once there, Macey sat back with the evening papers, as Eva swept in several minutes later and flopped down on one of the chintz chairs.[/i]

"So did you have a great time with Gustave today?"

"Excellent. He's such a gentleman."

[i]Macey wasn't sure why she'd kept Vincent's death from her twin, but she somehow knew that Eva wasn't the person to discuss it with. Instead, they chattered about the changes of the day.[/i]

"What will you do? Go with Gustave to Anova?"

"Perhaps. What about you?"

"I'm thinking of traveling abroad. You and I both have plenty of money that's safely tucked away. I could travel for years."

"Sounds exciting. I'm sure you'd have an excellent time."

[i]Eva agreed, then pranced off, most likely to go to bed or find others to gossip with. Macey yawned once and leaned back, swirling a cup of tea on the end table next to her. The newspapers spread before her seemed to blur slightly, and she closed her eyes for just a moment, waiting for her aunt to return.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img] http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/audrey-avatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

Audrey had been in the cell for several hours. She was tired, but couldn’t sleep. Her arms had been shackled together with heavy steel cuffs and her wrists still bore the deep marks. The only benefit to her situation was that she shared the cell with another woman – a woman much younger than her. Her name was Pepper (presumably it was some sort of code name; she had overheard a guard mention that the woman as a member of the Underdogs). Audrey guessed her to be around nineteen or twenty. She had short, cropped hair with a small pink butterfly pin in one corner. It was odd, given the contrast against her grey prison uniform.

Although Pepper was quiet, Audrey enjoyed the company of another human being. After what she had seen earlier in the day, she could not bear to be left alone.

Upon being arrested, the Guard officers had blindfolded her and it was only when she arrived at the cell that they lifted the blindfold. She had no idea where she was or how far away she was from civilization. The only hint of the outside world was a small gap in the bricks above her head, which permitted a small stream of sunlight to filter through.

Pepper sat in the corner of the cell and leaned up against the metal bars, which separated the cell from a narrow hallway. Occasionally she eyed Audrey suspiciously, as though she knew that she’d worked for the Guard. This made Audrey uneasy, but at least it allowed her mind to focus on something other than death.

‘So, why’re you in here, then?’

Pepper’s stare didn’t falter. Her sudden desire to talk made little sense to Audrey, but perhaps Pepper, too, was happy to finally have some company.

‘I was arrested in Muldova,’ replied Audrey, her voice echoing around the cell’s empty walls.

Pepper raised an eyebrow. ‘Arrested doing what?’

‘Nothing. Just talking.’

Audrey suddenly felt slightly offended by Pepper’s questioning. She had just been through a severe and lengthy questioning session by the Guard before she had been incarcerated; she did not need to be harassed by a cellmate.

Pepper finally looked away from Audrey and traced the edges of a brick with her fingertip. ‘Just talking, eh? Yeah, that’s what the bastards do when they can’t arrest you for anything else. Either that, or they pretend you made up something, like a threat or a plan.’

For a while, Pepper said nothing more. She continued tracing the brick as though it fascinated her.

‘What about you? What did you do?’ asked Audrey weakly. She was starting to feel hungry. Her stomach hurt. She had to talk to avoid thinking about the pain.

A mischievous grin spread across Pepper’s face, but she did not look Audrey in the eye. ‘I’m a real bad girl,’ she said slowly. ‘They caught me right here, above ground.’ She looked up at the ceiling. ‘Caught me on my way in, actually. I’d already found my way past a few of their so-called Elite Guard.’

‘I don’t understand. How did you get past the Guard?’

Pepper laughed to herself. ‘Don’t you know that the ‘dogs try to recruit those with significant knowledge of alchemy? It’s not just those they kidnapped; they’ve been recruiting alchemy students, too. I was studying forgery. Was pretty good at it, too. Knew how to fashion keys and all manner of things without much trouble.’

‘Ah.’ Audrey straightened up against the harsh brick wall. Her wrists were still sore and red.

‘So you were trying to break in here? Why?’

Pepper’s smile disappeared suddenly. ‘To kill the King,’ she said coldly.

Audrey’s eyes widened. ‘What? Why would the King have been here, of all places?’

Pepper shook her head and laughed again. ‘Have you no idea where you are?’

‘No,’ replied Audrey. She had never seen where they took her, so how could she possibly know?

‘Just think,’ said Pepper, ‘where do you think is the most secure place in all of Czenovia?’

Audrey considered the question for a moment. She could only think of one reasonable answer, but it made no sense.

‘The Mirror Palace, I suppose.’ The words sounded ridiculous as she uttered them and it embarrassed her slightly. She suddenly felt highly naïve.

Pepper, however, nodded vigorously. ‘Of course,’ she said with a clap of her hands. ‘The Mirror Palace. I thought everyone knew that the dungeons here were the worst in the world. Clearly you’ve been living under a rock!’

Admittedly, Audrey did feel foolish. It made perfect sense. The King had the country’s greatest security and it made sense that traitors would be brought directly to his dungeons.

‘Actually, there are already dozens of people here at least,’ continued Pepper. ‘My brother was brought here too, at the same time as me.’

As she spoke these words, Pepper’s head fell. She slid down the bars and held her face in her hands.

‘What happened?’ asked Audrey.

Pepper sniffed and looked up at her. ‘He’s gone,’ she said softly. ‘An officer told me a few days ago. They got him. He’s gone.’

Pepper put her face in her hands again and sobbed. Even the sound of her sobbing was shallow and tired. It sounded as though the simple act of crying required so much effort. Perhaps, thought Audrey, she had been doing a lot of it here.

‘They told me I would be here for the rest of my life,’ said Audrey. ‘But my friend was not so lucky.’

‘Oh, believe me,’ cried Pepper, ‘your friend is better off this way. Staying in this cell for the rest of your life will drive you mad. Better to be dead than here.’

Audrey wanted to say something to ease Pepper’s grief, but in reality, she was probably right.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alexander didn't know what to think of how the day had gone as he finished getting cleaned up once he and Alecia had gotten home. For one thing, even with the potion he had been given at the hospital and the salve the nurse had put on the bump on his head, he still had a horrible headache. And even now, he still found it maddening that it seemed like there was something just hovering on the edge of his consciousness that refused to come forward. Though it was easy enough to put aside whenever he thought of what Alecia had told him on the way home. It still had him hovering between a state of intense joy and excitement over the idea of being a father. He had bombarded her with questions all the way home. Too wound up to even relax like he was suppose to.

They had so many things to talk about, so many things to plan. [i]I wonder if it?s a boy or a girl?[/i] He finished up with slipping into some casual clothing and after carefully toweling his hair again, avoiding the large bump on the back of his head. He measured out another dose of the stuff he had been given to take and then stopped when Alecia took the vial from him and applied it carefully.

?[B]What am I going to do with you love?[/B]? She said as she wrapped her arms around him from behind, pressing her left check into his back and smiling when he took her hands in his. He pulled them free a bit and was turning to kiss her when a loud knocking sounded at their front door.

?[B]Who could that be?[/B]? Alecia frowned slightly and let go of his hands to go and answer the door. She barely opened it only for Victoria Ann to shove her way in and start asking for Alexander.

?[B]Alecia! Where is Alexander? I have to show him something![/B]? She was clearly agitated, making Alecia wonder just what in the world was going on. A moment later she darted past her upon seeing Alexander standing in the doorway leading to the rest of the house.

?[B]Alexander! Grandfather is alive![/B]? She thrust the picture of Leonhart, bound by the wrists, along with several other older men, in some sort of cellar, into his hands. ?[B]He?s not dead! He have to find him![/B]?

?[B]Victoria Ann![/B]? Alecia came over and grasped her by the shoulders. ?[B]What are you talking about?[/B]?

?[B]Alecia,[/B]? she turned at the serious tone in Alexander?s voice and then gasped in surprise when Alexander showed her the picture.

?[B]Where did you get this Victoria?[/B]? Alexander steered her towards the sofa so they could both sit down, and because his pounding headache was making him feel a bit dizzy.

?[B]Uncle Fonty had it in his darkroom. He said it was already in the camera when he started using it, that it was taken earlier.[/B]? She frowned as she tried to stay calm enough to explain. ?[B]But he?s got gray hair in the picture so it has to be recent! He?s been kidnapped! Just like the others![/B]?

?[B]Alexander?[/B]? Alecia hesitated as it was clear he was thinking on what to do.

?[B]We need to show this to Vincent Achard.[/B]? He stood up.

?[B]Why? Wouldn?t it be better to hand it over to your superior officer Grants?[/B]?

?[B]NO![/B]? Alexander said forcefully, startling the two. ?[B]Sorry, I didn?t mean to shout. Please trust me on this, it needs to go to Vincent.[/B]?

Alecia nodded and then turned to Victoria, ?[B]Do the others know about this?[/B]?

She shook her head. ?[B]I don?t know, other than Uncle Fonty.[/B]?

?[B]We should go to Rosengard then, to make sure the others know.[/B]? She smiled at Alexander. ?[B]It would be easier to get messages sent from there too.[/B]? She reached down squeezed Victoria Ann?s shoulder. ?[B]We?ll look into this.[/B]?

"[B]Okay.[/B]" She said carefully.

Alecia took care of Victoria Ann, something as they headed over to Rosengard, Alexander was grateful for. It was clear that she was on the verge of tears and only holding it in to make sure someone knew Leonhart was not dead. It certainly looked that way with the photograph. But what was on Alexander?s mind was why the hell had Fauntleroy not shown it to the RPG? Or had he? After all his own superior officer was a member of the Underdogs. Had he simply made sure the picture vanished? Or explained how it couldn?t be Leonhart?

[I]I don?t know what to do! [/I]He winced at the pounding in his head as they headed down the street. It was clear that news of the Underdogs stand in New Czenoble had reached their area, people were clearly agitated and even a few were obviously leaving. [I]What?s the matter with them? Why are they panicking? [/I]It made him wonder what else had happened since he? the memory eluded him, other than the sounds of the guns of the gunship firing, the screams of those who were innocent caught in the crossfire.

[I]What if the Underdogs are right? [/I]He had never thought he would live to see the day were the rpg would use lethal force without using non lethal methods first. And yet at the same time, they were kidnapping people, holding them against their will. Yes they needed more equal treatment, better living conditions.. But?

?[B]Are you alright Alexander?[/B]? Alecia looked concerned. ?[B]Perhaps we should go back, you?re awfully pale.[/B]? She moved over and took his arm in hers, smiling up at him before turning her attention back to where they were going. At that moment, when she smiled, he realized what he had to do. He had to do what was best for his family, though he still wasn?t sure just which path would be the best.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]

[indent][size=1]Well, he knows the basics it seems, Daedalus thought absently as the pair continued to move through the standard Czenovian starting sword stances. Harrison was confident in his movements as well, at least on a sub-conscious level, the look of confusion he wore was understandable, but at least his steps never faltered because of it.

Given his size and build, Daedalus thought he could probably hold his own against most of the normal troops in a swordfight, even if he was four years younger than even the rawest recruit. The only problem there of course was no intelligent trooper would get into a swordfight while he had his rifle on him. Still wordlessly Daedalus moved from the aggressive posture of the last style to his original neutral defensive stance.

"[b]Good Harrison. Now, I want you to attack me as if you intended to kill me.[/b]"

The slightly confused expression on Harrison's face expanded into utter bewilderment.

"[b]What ? We're just sparring.[/b]"

Daedalus sighed, shaking his head as Harrison's guard dropped a little. It was enough, gripping the wooden training sabre in his natural one hand style, he struck forward and drove the end of the blade into Harrison's midsection, causing his son to fall to the floor spluttering and winded. Dwalish looked away with a slight smile, clearly remembering his own first spar with his father and the sensations Harrison was going through now. Daedalus didn't move, not even a flicker of concern on his hardened face.

"[b]Get up Harrison.[/b]"

The boy coughed several more times, his breathing was deep but rapid, gulping in air to replace what had been driven out by Daedalus' thrust.

"[b]WHAT... THE HELL... WAS THAT FOR ?!![/b]"

"[B]It's never "just sparring" Harrison.[/b]"

Harrison's pained expression became mixed with even more confusion.

"[b]What...do you mean ?[/b]"

Sighing again, Daedalus half-closed his eyes, Harrison would understand eventually.

"[b]Real learning comes only from real danger. Now get up, and this time, don't hold back.[/b]"

Comprehension dawned on Harrison's face. Using the sword as a level, he pushed himself back to his feet shakily. His breathing had returned almost completely to normal. Good, Daedalus thought, he's serious this time.

"[b]So that's why we have no padding...[/b]"

"[b]Exactly.[/b]"

"[b]Then...[/b]"

Tightening his grip around the hilt of the wooden weapon Harrison moved into an attacking stance, raising the sword over his head. His father's stance didn't change, his sword held out and horizontal across his chest.

"[b]... I won't hold back.[/b]"

"[b]Good.[/b]"

It was Harrison who made the first attack, running forward, and slamming the wooden blade down against his father's defence before shifting his posture an redirecting for a left side attack which, if the weapons were real, would be a fatal slash. Barely moving, Daedalus blocked the strike and went on the assault. His strength was considerably greater than Harrison's, as was his skill, but Harrison's agility and speed were better than his own. In reality though, Harrison could never win their fight, all Daedalus really wanted was the push his son to fight as hard as he possibly could.

Striking out, Daedalus knocked Harrison's guard aside, pushing the boy off his centre of balance. He was slightly impressed by how quickly Harrison recovered from the attack, as he drove forward for a stab through his father's chest. Parrying, Daedalus brought his blade down hard on Harrison's forearms, causing him to drop the sword. Daedalus finished the fight by striking at son's chest, sending him tumbling of his feet to the ground.

Picking up the two swords, Daedalus tossed them over to Dwalish, who returned them to their designated place in the training rack. Without further word, Daedalus turned and left the room, casting a single glance to Harrison who remained face down on the mat.

"[b]You did well.[/b]"

Harrison pushed himself up off the mat, staring at his brother who had his back turned, reordering the weapon's rack.

"[b]I lost...[/b]"

Dwalish chuckled.

"[b]Of course you lost. You could never have won.[/b]"

Turning silently, Dwalish watched as Harrison's face contorted into an upset scowl.

"[b]Dad didn't even say anything afterwards !![/b]"

"[b]Not for the reason you think. You're getting the same training as I did, and the same training dad did. If he had spoken to you after the fight, it would have been an admonishment. The fact he said nothing means he's proud of you.[/b]"

"[b]I...I don't understand.[/b]"

Dwalish looked away for a moment, trying to phrase his words properly as he sat down next to his little brother, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"[b]When dad finished in CHAOS, he chose to travel the New Globe for a few years. This was before the Mine Wars of course. It apparently caused some friction between him and grandfather.[/b]"

"[b]What kind of friction ?[/b]"

"[b]Well, dad was originally the one expected to take over Magitech after grandfather, not uncle Leonhart. But I don't he ever wanted to do that, preferring life in the military, or just working in a laboratory to corporate business. Anyway, dad left for the New Globe to not only get away from his father, but to "become a wiser man", or so he claims, I don't know how true that last part is though. I think really he just wanted to develop his own identity outside of being the Almagest heir...[/b]"

"[b]I never knew that...[/b]"

Dwalish shrugged his shoulders.

"[b]Why would you ? It's not like he tells people much about himself, now quit interrupting. While he was in the New Globe apparently he stayed in a country called Oyashima for a few years. Nobody had even heard of the Almagests, although they were aware of Czenovia, so he was treated like a normal person. When he talks about the place, it?s always with a smile.[/b]?

?[b]What does that have to do with now ?[/b]?

?[b]While he was there little brother, he lived in their culture, their language, their foods, even the way they fight, and Oyashima apparently has the best sword-fighting styles in the whole world. I don?t remember the name of man who trained dad, but he told me he had to prove himself worthy even to be considered for training. It?s not like here, where he could just walk into somewhere and people would fawn over him.[/b]?

?[b]So how did he prove himself ?[/b]?

Dwalish shrugged again.

?[b]I don?t know, he never told me. But when he came back to Czenovia a few years later, there wasn?t a person alive who could beat him in a swordfight... and now he?s passing that same training to you, like he did with me. That?s why he said nothing, he?s training you the same way his master trained him.[/b]?

Harrison gave his brother a weak smile.

?[b]I understand. Thanks Dwalish.[/b]?

His brother exhaled derisively.

?[b]Sure, it?s not like I want a cry-baby aide now do I ?[/b]?

Leaning over, Harrison pushed his brother hard in the shoulder smiling more broadly.

?[b]Hey, shut up.[/b]?

?[b]Come on, we?ve got duty.[/b]?

?[b]Alright.[/b]?

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

Rest his chin on his intertwined hands, Daedalus tried to make sense of what had occurred since the rebellion. Litheway had left the ready-room in a Spartan condition, which suited Daedalus just fine. A new set of orders had arrived the morning Daedalus had been promoted from Fleet Command.

Apparently the ship which had destroyed the Vigilant had been positively identified as the Cygnus, belonging to Jack Deacon. His orders were to find and arrest Deacon as soon as possible for trial. As much as Daedalus disagreed with Rosier?s tactics in using the gunship and the fact Jack was a member, if a distant one, of the family, he would hunt the pirate down without hesitation.

His mind kept flashing back to the family seal, the Almagest Lion. His most dangerous creations were sealed inside Mount Grail, but one, beyond all others had to be kept safe, as impossible as it was to occur, if it fell into rebel hands, it could entirely turn the tide of the rebellion in their favour.[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Catherine, when she returned to Rosengard, was exhausted. The past week was starting to take it's toll and more than anything she wished to simply head to her private rooms and call it a night. She was beyond tired and the events of the day had not helped. It wasn't that teaching was all that demanding, in truth it was not. It was more of things that only served to remind her of how much things had changed.

When Daedalus had stopped by briefly, it had reminded her of when Leonhart would stop by, and his own look had been rather grim. Something she had not fully understood until later when she was talking to Jessica at dinner. It was positively amazing just how much Jessica picked up. The news about the King being dead, the news about the Underdogs creating a stir in New Czenoble, along with the rumor that the RPG gunship the Vigilant had been shot down. All of it just reminded her of how things had changed for good.

She closed the doors to Rosengard behind her only to halt at another sad sight. The rumors about New Czenoble could only be true as someone has already ordered that Ronsengard be packed up. In preparation for the possibility that they would actually need to leave High Czenoble. With a sigh she started to head for her rooms only to halt when she realized that someone was in the lady's parlor. It was Macey and seeing that she had already gotten up to come and greet her she stopped and waited.

"[B]Aunt Catherine, do you have a moment to talk?[/B]" Macey asked as she motioned for her to join her.

"[B]Only a moment Macey dear. I do not wish to be rude, but I am afraid that I am too weary to be good company at the moment.[/B]"

"[B]Have you heard about Vincent?[/B]" Macey continued when Catherine shook her head, with a sad look she handed the letter to her and then took it back once she was done, noting how much effort it took for Catherine to not break down and cry right then and there.

"[B]I'm so sorry dear.[/B]" She finally said.

"[B]Aunt Catherine, I'm thinking of heading to Anova with Gustave when he leaves. I wanted to know how you feel about that.[/B]"

Catherine smiled sadly, she knew why Macey was asking, with Leonhart gone and the fact that her and Bavaria had never learned to like one another, it was clear she was asking for her approval on some level. Since there was no one else she could ask.

"[B]Macey dear, if you wish to go to Anova and take the time to get to know Gustave, then by all means do so. Do what's best for you dear.[/B]" She stepped forward and hugged her tightly.

"[B]Good night dear.[/B]" Catherine turned and left for her own rooms, as much as she loved all of the family, even she needed time alone and right now was one of those times.

[center][img] http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/audrey-avatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/princessaugustine-avatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

When morning broke, Audrey could hear the occasional whistle of a bird somewhere above them. The sounds wound their way through the small rectangular portals above their heads. The thin beams of sunlight were warm and Audrey longed to feel the sun all over her skin.

Pepper had been awake for most of the night. Sometimes she curled into a ball and rocked back and forth. Other times she spoke to herself in hushed tones. And sometimes she simply stood at the bars with her face between them. It was as though, if she concentrated hard enough, the bars would widen and allow her to walk through.

It had only been half a day and one night, but Audrey felt as though she had been locked away forever. Her stomach constantly protested and dragged her mind back to thoughts of food and how desperately hungry she was. They had fed the prisoners no lunch or dinner the day before and, in fact, Audrey hadn't seen a single guard or officer in the dungeon since she'd been thrown into the cell.

It wasn't long, however, before Audrey heard noises outside. She hadn't seen it, but she assumed that there were many more cells outside the narrow hallway. Sometimes she heard rattles and the clinks of chains, but now, she heard a series of footsteps.

The large, iron door at the end of the hall opened. Audrey was surprised by what she saw.

Several Guard officers entered the hallway and, behind them, Audrey saw none other than Princess Augustine.

Augustine looked flustered. She was wearing an elaborate headdress that looked appropriate for some kind of official event. She seemed highly distracted and snapped at the officers occasionally.

As she strode past the cell, she stopped suddenly and glared down at Audrey.

Audrey felt pathetic. She was sitting on the cold concrete floor in a dirty, torn grey prison uniform. Her hair was matted and dirty and her arms and legs were slightly bruised. She instinctively looked away.

'You there. Look at me,' barked Augustine. There was no doubt she was talking to Audrey.

Audrey reluctantly turned her head and looked up at the princess. Her eyes were cold and sharp. She was beautiful and her clothes were extravagant. Audrey felt almost guilty that she could only think about food, despite being confronted by a member of the royal family (which, at one time in her life, would have thoroughly excited her).

'I'm sure I've seen you before,' said Augustine sharply. 'Give me your name.'

Audrey raised her hand to her forehead weakly. 'I'm Audrey. Audrey Bertrand.'

Several officers behind Augustine murmured amongst themselves. Augustine hushed them.

'Bertrand? Why is that name familiar?'

'We have never met, Your Majesty,' said Audrey hastily.

Augustine frowned. 'Well,' she huffed, 'I [i]suppose[/i] I'm either stupid or forgetful, is that what you're saying? I told you I've heard of your name before and I'm sure I've seen your face. Don't play games with me.'

Audrey looked at the floor. Something about the sheer presence of Augustine made both herself and Pepper cringe. She seemed to dominate the entire dungeon when she spoke.

One of the officers leaned forward and whispered in her ear. Her eyes widened and she clicked her fingers.

'Aha! Yes! Bertrand! You were Vincent Achard's assistant, weren't you?'

Audrey nodded weakly.

'I see. Sorry state of affairs with Achard,' she murmured. 'Might have been useful, if only I'd recognized he was a traitor before Gaul got to him.'

'He was not a traitor!' cried Audrey suddenly. 'He served the Guard loyally. But when he saw what the Guard are prepared to do to keep order...'

She coughed violently and grasped her chest.

Augustine rubbed her chin thoughtfully. Her nails were long and perfectly manicured.

'And what of you? Why are you even here?'

When Audrey stopped coughing, she took a deep breath. 'I was with him at the time. We were in Muldova having drinks. We did nothing wrong.'

'Well, I'm sure it's fair to say that you are sympathetic to the rebellion,' remarked Augustine thoughtfully. 'After all, you fled to Muldova rather than return to High Czenoble.'

Audrey held her head in her hands as tears began to stream down her face. 'I don't know what I want!' she cried. 'All I've ever done is try to serve others and now I'm here in this horrible place. Why are they doing it to us?'

Augustine chuckled. 'Oh, my dear, you have no concept of how the world works, do you? There are many powerful people in this country and they all want power. And I happen to be one of them. Today will be the day and I will know for sure.'

Audrey could not believe that Augustine was happy to stand there talking about her plans for power, despite the obvious suffering right in front of her eyes.

'In any case,' remarked Augustine finally, 'I am always interested in those who can help me.'

And with that, she said no more. Augustine strode out of the dungeon followed by the entourage of guards.

'She seemed interested in you,' said Pepper sarcastically. 'Lucky you! Maybe she'll pay us regular visits. Tell her to bring in a pie next time, won't you?'

Audrey scowled. 'I have no idea what her problem is, but she knows who I am. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.'

'Maybe she'll give you a pardon,' joked Pepper.

Audrey rolled her eyes. 'I don't think so. She doesn't seem the type to pardon prisoners.'

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alecia had woken up early, much more than usual, but she was reluctant to get out of bed to get ready for work. She moved over until she was next to Alexander who was still asleep, moving until she was resting her head against his shoulder. She already knew he would not stay home, with all that they had learned, he would go into work, no matter what the doctor had told him the other day.

She had seen it last night in his expression as he dealt with the photograph Victoria Ann had brought over. Alecia didn't understand why he was so adamant about going to someone other than his superior officer Grants. Even after learning from Macey that Vincent was dead, he had insisted on talking to someone else. And then before they had finally left for the night, he had also sent a message to Daedalus, who according to Harriet had been recalled to active duty.

She could only assume that it was related to the incident in New Czenoble, the news that the [I]Vigilant[/I] had been shot down was circulating throughout the city and last she had heard before they had called it a night, even transportation between the two cities had been shut down. Even in the darkness, they had been able to see the lights of small private air ships as a few took to the air and fled. Not many, but it was still happening just the same.

Even Rosengard was being boxed up in preparation, though Alecia didn't see it coming to that, at least she hoped it did not. But it did seem rather ominous that her Uncle Daedalus would return to active duty. She sighed a bit, shifting a little to get more comfortable and then just as she started to drift back to sleep she was woken up by Alexander stirring.

'[B]Good morning love,[/B]" He smiled at her when he realized her head was leaning against his shoulder.

"[B]You're going to work today aren't you.[/B]" It was a statement more than an actual question. "[B]You don't need to say anything, I understand. After what you saw in New Czenoble, you want to see if there is any news on what's going on.[/B]" She smiled a bit sadly as he started to get up, moving until he was sitting on the side of the bed, something she did as well.

"[B]I have to Alecia, I have to find out why they used lethal force and broke with procedure,[/B]" He looked away, still sitting on the edge of the bed.

Alecia moved over and sat next to him, wrapping her arms around Alexander. "[B]I understand, you need to check on your family too.[/B]" She smiled when he turned to look at her and then hugged her close.

"[B]I'm sure my parents would like to know that they're going to be grandparents as well.[/B]" He smiled and leaned down and kissed her before letting go and getting up, he reached down, offering his hand to help her stand up before the two started to get ready for the day. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison was still finding it hard to wrap his mind around the fact that that he had ended up in the military. It was more than him being to young to enlist, it was all those years fighting mother just to even take up an interest in anything that could lead to working in anything remotely dangerous. He had no intention of joining the military as he had been angling towards working for the Royal Police Guard once he was old enough. But now as he did as he was told by Dwalish, running from one area of the ship to another, collecting reports and delivering messages, he wondered why his father had done it. A shove from his brother Dwalish as they walked down the corridor towards the junior officers quarters brought him back to the present.

?[B]Stop looking so dumbfounded Harrison, it makes you look stupid.[/B]? He poked fun at him.

Harrison opened his mouth to object, but nothing came out for the longest moment until he closed his mouth and tried again. ?[B]Perhaps you could explain to me why I?m even here if all I?m doing is running errands for you.[/B]? He reached up with his left hand, running it through his hair in a nervous gesture. ?[B]It makes no sense, I don?t have any training and I haven?t got a clue what I?m doing here.[/B]?

Dwalish just laughed a bit, causing Harrison to give him a sharp glance. ?[B]It?s not funny. I?m serious. Why the hell am I here? I?m not even old enough to enlist.[/B]?

"[B]You'll be getting plenty of training, just like any recruit.[/B]" He paused in front of a small door, opening it and walking in without hesitation. "[B]But first you need to get settled into your new cell.[/B]" He joked.

Something that as Harrison looked at the room wasn't too far from the truth, the furnishings were entirely utilitarian. A small bed fastened to the wall, a tiny desk and bookcase along with a wardrobe and chair. All barely fitting into the tiny narrow room, the only thing not fastened down was the chair for the desk and the books all neatly stacked away on the shelves.

Harrison just raised an eyebrow and said nothing, after all, what could he? Even if it was smaller than the walk in closet attached to his bedroom in Rosengard, he got the feeling that he was probably lucky to even have a spot to call his own, even if that spot was cramped. He knew enough about the military to know that recruits usually shared rooms instead of having their own.

Dwalish moved forward and opened the wardrobe, checking something before closing it and turning back to face Harrison, "[B]Everything you need is here, if I were you little brother, I'd take advantage of the shared facilities at the end of the hall to get cleaned up before calling it a night. It wouldn't hurt for you to start doing some reading too, just start from the first book on the top left shelf and work your way through.[/B]" He grinned as he pushed past Harrison to leave.

"[B]Oh and training starts at seven sharp,[/B]" He handed Harrison a slip of paper which seemed to be a schedule he was to follow. "[B]You don't want to be late on your first day.[/B]" He took off, closing the door behind him before Harrison could think of anything to ask him.

[I]Seven am?[/I] He sat down on the bed and groaned a bit. [I]That's going to take getting use to.[/I] Curious he moved over to the desk, opening up the drawers, taking note of the writing materials as well as a tiny little alarm clock. He pulled it out and made a point of setting it so he would wake up in time. Then, after hunting through the wardrobe to see what was there, he finally left and did as Dwalish had suggested.

It didn't take long and the setup was pretty easy to figure out, but at the same time, he felt horribly uncomfortable around everyone and their curious stares only made it worse. He did his best to not be underfoot, answering any question that was put to him before he was finally able to finish up and get back to the room Dwalish had assigned him to. He fully intended to read before curling up to sleep, but in no time he ended up curling up in the tiny bed and falling asleep.

[hr=indigo]100[/hr]
[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison was woken up by the harsh sound of an alarm clock going off and all he could do was stare at the ceiling, wondering where he was. He wasn't in his room and it took what seemed like forever for him to wake up enough to realize where he was. With a start he came awake, sitting up hastily, nearly running into the furniture in his tiny room as everything came back to him.

"[B]Damn![/B]" He swore upon realizing that he had been so dazed that the alarm had been going off for nearly fifteen minutes. He reached over, turning it off even as he was already moving to get into a uniform and get going, he just hoped he could remember all the directions that Dwalish had given him so he wouldn't get lost.

With a final tug on his uniform, he snatched up the paper with what he was suppose to be doing written on it and left, making sure to remember the number to his room for later. As he left and started down the corridor, towards where the mess hall would be, he wondered what training would be like since it seemed that he would be doing that all morning long. [I]I wonder if I'll get more training with dad later on. [/I]He shrugged to himself and put it out of mind for the moment.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alexander had taken care of things, just like she knew he would, but when he and Alecia finally left, Victoria Ann realized that she hadn?t seen Harrison since Uncle Daedalus picked him up from school. With a slight frown on her face she headed for Aunt Harriet?s rooms, knocking on the door softly once she arrived. A voice called out for whoever was there to come in and she did so without hesitation. Harriet was already in her night clothes, and sitting up on the bed with the blankets pulled up. Upon seeing who it was she set the book she had been looking at down.

?[B]What can I do for you Victoria Ann?[/B]?

?[B]I was wondering... How come Harrison hasn?t come home?[/B]? She dragged her feet a bit as she slowly moved over until she was standing next to the side of the bed, looking down a bit.

Harriet motioned for her to get on the bed, something Victoria did without question, even though she was still dressed. Though she was careful to keep her shoes off of the sheets, but Harriet just pulled the blanket back and tucked it over her anyway. She settled back down a bit once Victoria had pillows behind her so she was sitting up on the bed as well.

?[B]Your Uncle Daedalus had returned to active duty in the military.[/B]? Harriet paused as if pained by what she was going to say next, ?[B]He has taken Harrison with him.[/B]?

Victoria just favored her with a puzzled look. ?[B]Don?t you have to be eighteen to enlist? I?m pretty sure civilians aren?t allowed.[/B]? She said knowingly.

?[B]You?re correct dear, however, one can be commissioned and that is exactly what Daedalus has done.[/B]? She sighed, leaning back a bit. ?[B]Was there anything else you wanted to know?[/B]?

Victoria looked down. ?[B]I don?t know.[/B]? She fiddled with the blankets a bit. ?[B]Seems kind of stupid to take someone who?s too young along.[/B]? She started to shove the covers back when Harriet surprised her by pulling her close, hugging her.

?[B]Why don?t I tell you a story before you go to bed?[/B]? She let go and smiled at Victoria who was already looking curious. If there was one thing Victoria liked, it was stories and today was no exception as she eagerly nodded her head, settling back into the pillows to get comfortable. Once she had done so, Harriet started.

?[B]When Daedalus and Leonhart were younger they use to love to explore the tunnels beneath Mount Grail. Every chance they got they would go off on a grand adventure to find new tunnels that had never been seen. However, one day they became terribly lost and wondered if they would ever find their way out.[/B]?

Victoria giggled at the idea of her Uncle Daedalus and Grandfather Leonhart lost in the tunnels under Mount Grail. Harriet smiled at her laughter and continued.

?[B]While searching for a way out they came across a wonderful and amazing sleeping giant. Now Daedalus wanted to wake the giant up and teach it to do his bidding. But Leonhart was scared of what would happen once it woke up.[/B]?

Victoria raised an eyebrow, ?[B]A giant? Are you pulling my leg Aunt Harriet?[/B]? Harriet just smiled at her and continued with the story.

?[B]In the end, they decide it was best to leave the sleeping giant alone and the two of them decided to protect it. Every year they would go and visit the giant to make sure it was still sleeping, until Czenovia went to war and they were called away to Brigit Town.[/B]?

Victoria snuggled down into the blankets, starting to feel sleepy even with the story Aunt Harriet was telling her.

?[B]After Lord Reuben and many of their friends died in the Mine war, Leonhart and Deadalus became worried that man was too dangerous, that that one day the giant would be found. So they came home and decided to move the giant very slowly into a secret spot where it would never be found.[/B]? She paused for a moment. ?[B]And to this day, the giant sleeps somewhere in Czenovia.[/B]?

Victoria yawned a bit, ?[B]How did they manage to move it without waking it?[/B]?

?[B]Very carefully young lady.[/B]? Harriet said with a smile. ?[B]Now off to bed with you.[/B]? She kissed her on the check before Victoria Ann got out from under the covers and left.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
The next morning as Victoria was getting ready for school, she remembered the odd story that Aunt Harriet had told her last night. Just as she wondered when Harrison and Uncle Daedalus would return. She yawned as she stretched once she was dressed for school and then she took off out of her room to go and get some breakfast before she headed for school.

No one seemed to be up yet other than the servants when she entered the kitchen and one of them kindly gave her some food to eat. She thanked them politely as she always did and took it out onto the terrace, grabbing the newspaper as she did. But when she made it outside, she lost interest in even reading it since she couldn?t quit thinking about the picture of Leonhart or the strange story.

Of all the times for Harrison to vanish on her, now she couldn?t bug him to take her into the tunnels under Chaos. Though she was pretty sure that his friend Joshua had a set of pirated keys too. [I]I?ll just have to talk to him about that.[/I] She knew perfectly well that the two of them snuck into the tunnels when they weren?t suppose to. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/meredyne-avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]

Meredyne's eyes opened slowly to darkness. It was yet dawn and the clock on the side of her bed told her the sun was a long way from coming up. She grazed the pillow to the opposite of her, feeling its cool surface and cursed to herself mentally. Every morning she woke up, and every morning she felt for someone there. It had been a long time since anyone's head touched the other pillow, or since she felt the warmth of someone else next to her.

Gaining composure of herself, she mentally outlined the list of things she had to do that day. Being the head of a company was not easy. Not for her, not for anyone really. She was up early though, too early to really get any kind of work done. So she lied there, wide awake waiting for the day to begin.

As she was about to nod back off to sleep, she heard a strange sound coming from her private balcony. It got louder. She contemplated calling for someone to come, but for some reason she just did not see this as a situation needing that kind of attention. She stood, put a robe over her night gown and walked over to her window. It would have suprised anyone else, but not her. Staring at her with a grin on his face was non other than Jack Deacon. Meredyne immediately opened the door to let him in.

[B]"Early morning visits? Really Jonathan?" [/B]She asked, letting him in.

Meredyne immediately lit a candle, but no sooner than she lit it, Jack put it back out. [B]"I don't want anyone to know I'm here, Mary."[/B]

Meredyne stared at him for a moment. It was as if she'd just been confirmed something. [B]"That was your aircraft yesterday, wasn't it? What in bloody hell has gotten into you?!" [/B]she yelled shaking violently.

[B]"Keep your voice down! You'll wake the whole city with that temper." [/B]Jack said in a hushed voice, hoping to circumvent the tongue lashing she wanted to give him.

[B]"I don't care, Jonathan! How could you kill all those people onboard that ship. How could you-"

"They started it!" [/B]yelled Jack in the same hushed voice, [B]"who were they to fire on civilians? The bloody crown is out of control!"

"Who were you to stop them?! You're just a pirate, you can't deal 'justice' like that to the RPG. You're a terrorist now. They're looking for you, I'm sure."

[/B]Jack calmed down and looked at Meredyne who immediately realized why he was there. She let out an inaudible [I]no [/I]before Jack spoke again. [B]"Mary, it will just be for today. They've been relentless. They're still not sure its me, but apparently I'm the primary suspect. People have begun to connect the dots. On the eve of the robberies my ship went mysteriously missing from AAT."

[/B][B]"You were involved in the robbery? A robbery at my air station? Is this how you treat me?"

"Mary..."

"I honestly thought you came back to do some good, you know that? You were supposed to have grown up by now and we were supposed to have a fresh start. You would make an honest living and give up this quest for 'freedom'." [/B]Meredyne sniffled a little as she talked. Jack wasn't used to seeing her emotional, [B]"You're still hard headed though. Still the same Jack Deacon I grew up with."[/B]

Jack was speechless. He reached down into his pocket and grabbed a slip of paper. [B]"I have... and I may have stumbled upon something that could end this mess. I don't know what to do with it, but I thought you'd be able to help." [/B]He pulled the slip of paper from his pocket and showed it to her.
[B]
[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/music-landmark.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
[/B]Meredyne looked at the slip of paper and then back to him. [B]"Piano notes? What am I supposed to do with those?"

[/B][B]"Nothing. I want you to deliver the slip to my sister, Bavaria. Don't tell her you received it from me."[/B]

[B]"Why not? I'm sure she'd-" [/B]Meredyne began, but Jack silenced her as he looked out her window. A patrol ship's highbeam came into view, lurching its way above the rooftops. He immediately grabbed Meredyne and threw the two of them on the bed, out of view from the ship's highbeam. Meredyne, surprised by the act simply layed there staring into Jack's eyes as the light from the beam flooded her room. [B]"Why would they be looking here of all places?"[/B]

[B]"They've looked everywhere else, Mary. That new guy Rosier's really upset that a civilian took down a gunship in his fleet. He's given orders to find me by all means available and bring me in for questioning."

[/B]The light moved beyond the house, and the hum of the airship disappeared altogether. Jack sat up before Meredyne pulled him back down onto the bed and embraced him tightly. [B]"I'm worried."[/B]

[B]"Don't worry, they wouldn't do anything to you."

"Not about me, about you, Jonathan. I'm worried that you've gotten into more than you can handle. I'll let you stay here, just tell me you won't get into anymore trouble."

"Mary, you know I can't." [/B]

Rather than force him to say otherwise, Meredyne continued to hold on. She had made up in her mind that she'd help him in before she*had even unlocked the door for him. She was so terribly lonely, and he was all she had. She'd do all in her power to keep him, vagabond or not.[/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/lector-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Catherine stepped off the train at the stop before Chaos, with Victoria Ann in tow. So much had happened the previous night, it had been startling and upsetting, making her glad that Alexander had been the one to handle it. He had been quite through in talking to everyone, gathering all the information he could that might shed light on the mysterious photograph. She had been pleased to see how through he was, not pointing fingers but merely gathering facts in a very logical manner. It was clear that he took his job seriously.

Now, this morning, she tried to shove the image of the horrible picture out of her mind as she headed to the main gates of Chaos. It was both an encouraging and discouraging thing to know about. If it was an accurate photograph time wise, it meant that Leonhart still lived. But that would also mean... Once again Catherine shoved the thought aside. She needed to be focused for the students since it was clear that rumors were spreading like wildfire throughout High Czenoble. Something that as soon as she entered the school, she could see would be a problem.

"[B]Wow,"[/B] Victoria Ann stopped as they entered the school, it wasn't outright confusion, but it wasn't far from it as the students were clearly thinking of other things and no one was getting to their classes as they were too caught up in gossip.

"[B]No one is going to class or even paying attention![/B]" She looked to Catherine as if expecting her to fix it.

"[B]Lady Almagest![/B]" A voice caught their attention, causing Victoria Ann to groan since it was the Head Master Lector Moebius, scurrying in their direction. She would have taken off except that Catherine was holding her by the shoulder.

"[B]What can I do for you Head Master Moebius?[/B]"

"[B]Surely I don't need to tell you! No one is going to class and none of the students are listening![/B]" He looked at her, his eyes narrowed, his look one of disdain as if it was her fault. Something that Catherin just suppressed a sigh over.

"[B]No Head Master you do not.[/B]" She started heading towards the main office just inside the main doors of the school, nodding at the receptionist who was already at her office behind the large desk for greeting anyone entering the school.

"[B]Good morning Lady Almagest.[/B]" She said politely when the trio arrived. "[B]Can I help you with anything this morning?[/B]"

"[B]Call an assembly of the students please.[/B]"

"[B]At once.[/B]"

Catherine just smiled when the announcement resulted in the students making a run for the main assembly hall. It was no surprise to her since it would take very little for them to realize that it would only be called if there was something important to be said, and there was, but not what they were expecting.

Catherine made her way to the head of the room, and then shooed Victoria Ann to one of the seats and waited patiently for the students and teachers to gather, all of them eager to hear what she had to say. A half smile played across her face when it was clear all of them were there and she moved to use the tiny little mic, a product of magi technology that would relay her voice a bit louder, making it easier for everyone to hear.

"[B]Good morning everyone,[/B]" She waited for them to respond in turn. "[B]Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I've called you here.[/B]" She could see many of them nodding to her words, just as she could see the hopeful and expectant gazes.

"[B]Let's start with a little history lesson shall we?[/B]" She hid her smile at the swift looks of disappointment and pressed on before their attention could wander. "[B]About the Paterson family.[/B]" As if turning a switch, all of the students became quiet, their expressions more serious and abashed.

Catherine let it sink in, after all the Paterson family was famous or rather infamous for one of their ancestors choosing to make decisions based on gossip and rumor instead of waiting patiently to receive verification. Every student knew about it, since the family head, back in his time had nearly destroyed his entire family.

"[B]I think I don't need to explain why I mentioned this.[/B]" Catherine said sternly. "[B]So long as you are within the walls of Chaos, you are expected to uphold to the standards and ideals held here and that includes not responding to rumors because...[/B]" She paused waiting for the students to finish for her, which they did.
[I]
“[B]Rumors are rumors because they are not true![/B]”[/I]

"[B]Exactly.[/B]" Catherine finished. "[B]Now, I promise you, we will keep you updated with news as we receive it, but in the meantime... All of you are late for class![/B]"

She smiled a bit as the students got up and headed for their classes. It wouldn't stop the rumors or the gossiping of course, but it would at least ensure that they attended their classes like they should. With a tiny nod to the Head Master who had been standing to the side, she too left to head for the class she needed to teach.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
[size=1][indent]Fauntleroy had woken early that morning with every intention to settle the Magitech situation once and for all. Aunt Catherine had snuck off to her quarters while he was distracted with Victoria Ann, and given the troubling news about Vincent Macey Ellen was in no condition to discuss business matters. Still with The Underdogs’ capture of New Czenoble it seemed likely that the Almagests were going to lose control of their family business one way or the other. He only hoped that Meredyne’s offer still stood, and that he could secure the signatures he needed.

Later in the morning he would visit Lady Bavaria to discuss the matter with her, but first he needed to talk to Alexander and Alecia. Fonty knew that Victoria Ann had showed his photographs to them both, if not everyone in High Czenoble. Fortunately, if anyone could get to the bottom of this mystery it was Alexander. The two had discussed the photograph in brief the night before, but no doubt he would still have many pressing questions.

With his camera in tow Fauntleroy approached Alexander and Alecia‘s small flat. But before he could knock on the door it suddenly swung wide open. Dame Grimalkin stood at the opposite end of the doorway, a warm smile across her face. Fonty quickly wrapped his arms around her.

“[b]Anna! It’s good to see you,[/b]” Fonty said, “[b]I had almost forgotten that you and Henry were staying with Alexander and Alecia.[/b]”

“[b]We won’t be for much longer. Henry has decided to use his winnings from the Cup to buy us a home of our own right here in High Czenoble.[/b]”

“[b]That‘s excellent news! Is Alexander awake? I have… something very important I need to talk to him about.[/b]”

“[b]I’m not sure, but they should be awake at any moment. Both of them have a big day ahead of them…[/b]”

"[b]It seems like we all do.[/b]"

Anna noticed the camera slung around Fauntleroy’s shoulder, “[b]You brought your mother’s camera?[/b]”

“[b]Well, yes. It’s a bit of a long story.[/b]”

“[b]Oh, I see,[/b]” Anna said as she shook her head, “[b]Your mother loved it dearly, and used it to take many of you and your sisters’ baby photos.[/b]”

“[b]Really? I had no idea.[/b]”

“[b]Oh yes. When Lady Patrice passed your father had put it away in the attic for safekeeping. But with your new career as a photog I thought it would only be right for you to have it.[/b]”

“[b]That was very kind of you, Anna. And believe me, it’s getting a lot of use.[/b]”

“[b]Please, please. Come in. You haven’t a scarf and the wind is absolutely freezing today...[/b]”

Anna smiled, and motioned for Fonty to enter the building. She quietly escorted him to the kitchen so as not to wake anyone who might still be sleeping, and began preparing him a pot of tea.

“[b]So I had read in The Chronicle that you are working at Magitech again.[/b]”

Fonty sighed, “[b]It was Daedalus’ idea, although I bet he wishes he hadn’t offered the job to me.[/b]”

“[b]And why is that?[/b]”

“[b]Artemis Air Transports is trying to purchase Magitech, and given Daedalus’ failing health it seems the only course of action is to accept the offer. I’m afraid I’m simply not capable enough to run things by myself. Look at me, how can I be expected to run one of the largest businesses in Czenovia?[/b]”

Anna listened carefully as she withdrew a bowl of sugar and lemon from a nearby cupboard.

“[b]I don’t want to lose Magitech, but recently it seems as if it’s bringing us nothing but trouble: The accident at Prometheo, the riots, my shoulder… hell, this entire revolution feels like it‘s our fault in some way.[/b]”

“[b]You can’t think like that Fauntleroy,[/b]” Anna replied sternly, “[b]Your father was quick to dismiss the problems of the working class, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Would selling the company to Artemis really fix anything?[/b]”

“[b]No, I suppose not. If anything it would make the situation of the working class even worse.[/b]”

"[b]You need to have more faith in yourself. Daedalus is a very wise man. He didn’t ask you to take over your father’s company so that you could repeat his mistakes.[/b]”

Fauntleroy nodded. There was still much to think about. But first, he needed to talk to Alexander.[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
It didn?t take Alexander and Alecia all that long to get ready for the day. Headache or not, so long as the nausea didn?t return he could manage. And he already knew from yesterday?s treatment that the potion he had been given would do the trick, even if it couldn?t get rid of all the pain. Now the only thing he was wondering about was how to approach things at work. He had already sent a full report to Daedalus so turning things over to Jonathan Grants would be harmless. Even if the number of members who were Underdogs in the RPG was a lot higher, there would be no way for him to interfere with an investigation by Daedalus. Grants had no jurisdiction over the military.

Alexander pushed the thoughts aside as best he could, he was already leaning towards how he would decide, no matter how much he agreed that better living conditions and wages were a must, he just couldn?t agree with terrorist tactics. Especially the attempt to destroy Rosengard, since even if Leonhart or the other adults in the Almagest family were guilty of taking advantage of others to pursue wealth, there were the servants, the children, and many others, who were completely innocent of any wrongdoing at all. It just wasn?t right. Just like the [I]Vigilant[/I] opening fire without using non-lethal methods first wasn?t right.

?[B]You?re awfully quiet today Alex,[/B]? Alecia was looking at him with a look of concern on her face. ?[B]Are you sure you?re up to going in?[/B]?

Alexander nodded. ?[B]I have to, there?s too much to be done.[/B]? He smiled at her as they left their bedroom to go and get some breakfast. ?[B]I promise love, that I?ll come home early if it becomes too difficult to work.[/B]?

Alecia just accepted what he said as she finished straightening her potionist uniform and then left for the kitchen with Alexander right behind her. Neither one of them had heard the sound of Dame Anna letting Fauntleroy in and were equally surprised to find him in the kitchen talking to her.

?[B]Uncle Fonty! What are you doing here? You should be resting, not gallivanting about![/B]?

?[B]I needed to talk to Alexander,[/B]? He answered even as he turned to face the two as they entered the kitchen. ?[B]I can?t stay in bed forever, there?s too much to be done.[/B]?

Alecia just rolled her eyes a bit and complained, ?[B]You sound just like Alexander.[/B]?

?[B]I?ll take that as a compliment.[/B]? Fauntleroy said as he took a seat at the table.

?[B]I?ve got some breakfast ready for you two if you?d help me get it?[/B]? Dame Anna said with a meaningful glance at Alecia who took the hint and followed her into the other part of the kitchen leaving the two alone.

?[B]What can I help you with?[/B]? Alexander asked once he had sat down. ?[B]Did you remember anything else about the photographs?[/B]?

Fonty shook his head. ?[B]No, but there has to be something I can do.[/B]?

?[B]There is one thing you can do, to possibly help figure out who is using your camera.[/B]?

?[B]What would that be?[/B]?

?[B]Keep it with you at all times, no matter what.[/B]? Alexander explained. ?[B]If you need to leave it behind, only do so where you can keep an eye on it. Whoever is using it is taking advantage of a time when it is not in your possession.[/B]?

?[B]What good will that do?[/B]?

?[B]At the moment, nothing. I really don?t know why someone is using the camera. Whoever it is must have a motive, and confirming that Leonhart is alive isn?t something that I would imagine a member of the Underdogs would do.[/B]? He paused. ?[B]After all, if it?s known he?s alive, that will just make the search more intensive where before there wasn?t one since it was assumed that he was dead.[/B]?

Alexander looked up and Alecia and Dame Anna returned with breakfast for everyone on a couple of trays that they set down on the table. He smiled at her as she took a seat next to him.

?[B]Anyway, I suggest you keep a close eye on that camera as well as going over the events of the past week to see if there is something else you might remember. If you do, just send both Daedalus and me a message.[/B]?

?[B]Alright.[/B]? Fonty replied.

?[B]And take it easy! I don't want to see you at work again because you've overdone it.[/B]? Alecia tagged on once it was apparent that Alexander was finished, she turned to face Alexander as she set his breakfast in front of him.

?[B]We?d better hurry or we?ll be late for work.[/B]? She told him with a smile.