OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alecia had done as requested, she along with Alexander, had gotten up early and headed down to the Eshe Rehema medical center to talk to the head of the facility. She had figured that things would be different after all that had happened the other day, the morning paper was filled with little else, though she and Alexander had not had time to truly read what had been published. But perhaps what had surprised her the most as her and Alexander took the train to work, was just how much the patrols of the Royal Police Guard had been increased. Rumors were flying everywhere, including the one that Leonhart was dead, not presumed missing.

?[B]Oh Alex,[/B]? She said as they entered the front doors of the Eshe Rehema medical center and were away from prying eyes and ears. ?[B]This is terrible! I thought the report said that they were searching for Grandfather. Not that he was considered dead.[/B]?

Alexander put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed gently. ?[B]Don?t let it bother you, people always gossip about cases like this.[/B]? He smiled reassuringly as they made for the office of the Director of the facility and then entered upon knocking and hearing a voice from within telling them to do so.

Much like Alecia, he too looked tired and worn out as he expressed his condolences and sincere wishes that Leonhart would be found and soon. Then with a wave of his hand as he took a seat behind the huge ornate desk, he indicated that the two of them take a seat as well. After seeing to Alecia, Alexander did the same. Sitting in one of the plush leather chairs across form the Director. It was his first time seeing the office and it strongly reminded him of a small library with the built in shelves filled with all sorts of medical texts and then a section that had to be drawers for keeping files on the staff there. There was a second door leading elsewhere, but to what, he had no idea.

?[B]Thank you for coming,[/B]? He said simply once both of them were seated. ?[B]There is much to be done so I?ll get straight to the point. I need to talk to you about your residency Alecia.[/B]?

Alecia tensed up, reaching blindly for Alexander?s left hand, clutching it tightly in her own. [I]So I am going to be dismissed[/I], she thought dully as she braced herself for the bad news.

?[B]It?s simple, due to recent events surrounding some of the best doctors and potionists here at Eshe Rehema and other medical facilities in High Czenoble, we are going to need to go ahead and promote you along with a few others thought out the city to fill the gaps.[/B]?

He stood up and started pacing back and forth, clearly nervous. ?[B]Until now, the Royal Police Guard asked us to keep things under wraps, to claim that the missing doctors and potionists were on leave, but I was informed a few days ago that there is no doubt that like other prominent Alchemists they too have been kidnapped.[/B]?

A startled gasp escaped before Alecia could help it. ?[B]How many are missing?[/B]? She paused as she ran through her mind the number of people she knew of that were suppose to be on leave, there were two at the medical center she worked at, one at the center closer to the the Chimera Circuit and two at the other main center. Was the Director saying that all five of them were missing?

Alecia's hand flew to her mouth as she choked on the thought. ?[B]Oh my? all of them are missing?[/B]? Just the thought was starting to make her feel sick.

The Director nodded sadly and sat back down. ?[B]Yes, each and everyone of them, including our head researcher in potionism, Dr. Victor Rawlings, your mentor.[/B]?

?[B]This is terrible.[/B]? Alecia looked to Alex, feeling frightened as she met his gaze before turning back to the Director. ?[B]I don?t understand though, I still have six months of my three year residency left. I know for a fact that there are quite a few students who are much closer to being finished than I am, so why choose me?[/B]?

?[B]You weren?t going to find out until later, but out of all of the students Dr. Victor Rawlings has worked with, he considered you to be the best replacement to take his place once he retired. The others, though competent at their work, are not qualified in his opinion. Or so he has told me on many occasions before he disappeared.[/B]?

The Director stood up. ?[B]I know it?s sudden, but my understanding is that within the next day or two, news of the others who have turned up missing will be made public. I?ll need both of you to keep quiet about it until then.[/B]?

He picked up a small bell and rang it, resulting in someone coming in from the door that lead to other areas of the Director?s office. ?[B]Please go with Davis, Alecia. He?ll walk you through the necessary paperwork as well as issue you your new uniforms. He?ll also set up the arrangements for you to start taking over Dr. Rawlings experiments in potionism, though since you were already working with him I would imagine there is little you don?t already know.[/B]?

Alex looked over at Alecia as the two of them stood up, ?[B]Go ahead love, I need to speak to the Director.[/B]? He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. ?[B]If I run out of time before work, I?ll simply meet you at the restaurant later for lunch.[/B]? He waited for her to leave and the door to shut behind her before he turned to talk to the Director.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Like most members of the Almagest family, Catherine had gotten very little sleep. It did not stop her from getting up as she always did to get prepared for yet another day of teaching at CHAOS. She quickly took advantage of the bath that had already been drawn for her and then went back out to get dressed only to halt at the sight of black clothing that had been carefully laid out on her bed. [I]That just won't do[/I], she thought as she moved to fetch one of her brightly colored dresses, choosing a light red. Catherine was pulling things out of the tall dresser against the wall in her bedroom when her personal maid finally spoke up.

"[B]Miss! What are you doing? Dame Anna is wearing black...[/B]"

Catherine whirled around impatiently, speaking in the tone of voice she always took with a student who had failed at an assignment. "[B]You can read can you not?[/B]" She waited for the maid to nod, confused as to what Catherine was referring to.

"[B]Then I suggest you re-read the report from the Royal Police Guard, six people are reported as missing because no body was found. Now why would they bother to search for the missing?[/B]"

"[B]To recover the bodies?[/B]" The maid asked timidly as she helped Catherine into her outfit.

"[B]To determine if they truly are dead or not, and I for one will not abandon my brother so easily when there is hope that he still lives.[/B]" Catherine finished tugging a few creases into place and then with a swirl of satin she was out the door and on her way to the kitchen to get some breakfast.

She was almost there when she ran into Beatriste who couldn't hide her surprised expression. "[B]Aunt Catherine, surely...[/B]"

But Catherine cut her off before she could say something that she really shouldn't, "[B]You are correct, I have not abandoned hope that Leonhart lives.[/B]" She reached out and patted her on the left cheek as kindly as she could before lowering her voice to a whisper that only Beatriste could hear.

"[B]And neither should you dear, the children need their mother to be strong and set a good example for them. Give the Royal Police Guard time to do a though investigation before you move to mourning someone who may still be alive.[/B]"

Catherine left her standing there and continued to the kitchen and then out to the veranda where both Harrison and Victoria were already seated having breakfast. She took her seat and waited patiently for one of the servants to place her usual breakfast of toast and eggs along with coffee in front of her.

"[B]Auntie Catherine, do I have to wear black? Dame Anna says we have to,[/B]" Victoria pouted a bit. "[B]I don't want to! Everyone is acting like Grandfather is dead, but even I know they didn't find a body so how can they be sure?[/B]"

"[B]They can't dear,[/B]" Catherine said kindly. "[B]The moment both of you are done go and change into your normal school uniform and meet me at the gates, if anyone objects you tell them that I told you to get changed.[/B]" She smiled at Victoria who started chatting like a mad thing as she often did. A moment later she left and took off at a near run to her bedroom.

"[B]Are you sure it's really alright?[/B]" Harrison asked her as he too got up to leave.

"[B]Of course dear, now run along, I'll be waiting for both of you once you're ready.[/B]" She smiled again as Harrison also left to do as she told him to.

Once the two of them were gone Beatriste joined her a look of disapproval on her face. "[B]You're setting those two up for more heartache this way.[/B]"

Catherine lowered her cup of coffee and gave her full attention to Beatriste, "[B]I'd rather not argue with you dear, but I could also argue that you're setting them up to experience pain that is unnecessary. Children need hope and it is our duty to give it to them. If the time should come, I will explain it to them myself if need be, I assure you, if Leonhart really is dead, he would be happier knowing that the children didn't give up on him so easily.[/B]"

She got up and moved over to give Beatriste a gentle hug before letting go and leaving to head to the gate to wait for the children. Today and probably every day for the next week or two, she would make sure they got to school safely.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Victoria Ann was only too happy to follow Auntie Catherine's advice and change back into her normal school uniform, ignoring Dame Anna's disapproving glance as she ran down the hallway and outside to meet both Harrison and Catherine who were waiting for her. It didn't take them long to get to CHAOS, but they did get odd looks from the various citizens going about their business.

"[B]Why are those people staring at us so rudely?[/B]" Victoria asked Catherine as they got off at the stop close to the school.

"[B]They don't mean to be rude dear, by now everyone has heard about what happened yesterday.[/B]" She explained as they walked down the street, the school clearly visible at the end of the long road, towering over the surrounding buildings.

"[B]Sure they don't,[/B]" Harrison said a bit snidely, "[B]they're all ever so concerned about what happened, so much that they can't help but stare.[/B]"

"[B]Now Harrison,[/B]" Catherine started to interject.

"[B]I know you mean well Aunt Catherine, and some of them probably are concerned, but most of them are just nosy and looking for something to gossip about.[/B]"

Catherine just smiled a bit sadly, "[B]It's never a good idea to assume poorly of others, it's better to think kindly of them.[/B]"

"[B]I know, I know.[/B]" Harrison said impatiently as they reached the school, entered the main doors and then moved to go their separate ways, waiting until Catherine was gone to roll his eyes.

"[B]You're such a brat Harrison.[/B]" Victoria growled at him as they headed for the stairs that went up to the second level, they didn't have the same classes of course, but the rooms were close to one another.

"[B]Hey![/B]" Victoria pointed at someone she didn't recognize when they reached the top of the stairs, "[B]Who is that?[/B]"

"[B]It's the new head master, Lector Moebius,[/B]" one of the older students passing by explained. "[B]He was introduced yesterday.[/B]"

"[B]We weren't here yesterday.[/B]" Harrison pointed out.

The student shrugged. "[B]All I know is that the Dynast government appointed him and that apparently he's a renowned historian.[/B]" He looked up to see Moebius coming their way. "[B]If I were you, I'd scram, he's a bit of a pompous windbag.[/B]" And with that the student dashed off.

Harrison and Victoria moved to do the same but where halted by Moebius calling out their names. [I]How did he know who we are? [/I]Victoria wondered as she turned back to face him.

"[B]I'm please to see that the two of you are here today instead of gallivanting about where you shouldn't. It's not a good idea to go places not meant for children.[/B]" He admonished them.

"[B]How would you even know about that?[/B]" Harrison shot back. "[B]What we do is really none of your business... sir.[/B]"

Victoria took an instant dislike at that moment to Lector Moebius, his tone of voice, the way he stood there looking so smug. She narrowed her eyes and glared at him before speaking up.

"[B]It's not nice to pry into other people's affairs. I don't care if you're the new head master or not.[/B]" By now a small crowd had gathered as they watched the two of them arguing with Lector Moebius.

"[B]Young lady, as the head master of CHAOS it is my responsibility to see to the welfare of the students, and that includes checking into why some of them are missing from school.[/B]" He started to explain.

"[B]For only one absence? Don't be absurd! It's perfectly normal for someone to miss a day or two if they are sick, just admit that you were being nosy and looking for something to gossip about.[/B]" Victoria declared loudly, smiling a bit when the other students snickered and a few outright laughed when Moebius turned a bit red.

"[B]No listen here young lady, that's no way to talk to the one responsible for your education.[/B]"

"[B]You responsible? Are you saying you're a teacher as well?[/B]" Harrison asked him. "[B]I heard that you were a historian.[/B]"

"[B]A historian is well acquainted with what is needed...[/B]"

"[B]Just answer the question, are you a teacher or not?[/B]" Victoria interrupted him, earning more giggles from the students who had gathered to watch.

"[B]I am not, however...[/B]"

Once again Victoria interrupted him. "[B]In that case stop wasting our time so we can go and get help from those who really are responsible for our education, like Auntie Catherine.[/B]" She reached over and grabbed Harrison's hand and pulled him with her around Moebius.

"[B]We'd better hurry Harrison, our real [I]teachers,[/I][/B]" she drew the word out insultingly "[B]would not appreciate a mere [I]Historian[/I] interfering by making us late to class.[/B]"

Assorted laughter followed as the pair left the sputtering head master behind. [I]Why did they appoint such an idiot like him instead of someone like Auntie Catherine? [/I]She let go of Harrison when the got to the door to his class, she waved goodbye at him and moved further down the hallway, and though it was unlike her, she started entertaining all sorts of ways to get the new head master of the school to get lost.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison wasn't sure what possessed him to give the new Head Master of CHAOS, Lector Moebius, such a hard time. Even if he was rebellious, he hated being disciplined by adults. Not that getting whipped or caned ever bothered him, only wimps would complain, but if anyone put their hands on Victoria, he'd beat the hell out of them, Head Master or not. As far as Harrison was concerned she was like a little sister to him, though he'd never admit it to anyone, ever.

"[B]You realize that the two of you are going to get it for what you did out there.[/B]" One of the other students whispered to Harrison as he took his seat.

Harrison just shrugged, "[B]So what, the jerk had it coming, prying into our families affairs like that. It's none of his damn business.[/B]"

"[B]Oh don't get me wrong, I agree, honestly he hasn't even been here a day and he's been throwing his weight around as if he were the most important person here in High Czenoble. Everyone knows that he was appointed by the Dynast government, otherwise a brown nosing twit like him could never get a position like this.[/B]"

"[B]How do you know that?[/B]" Harrison turned to give his classmate his full attention, noticing the smirk on the tall, skinny boys face. "[B]I overheard my parents and others talking about how it was a disgrace that the position was given to someone like him instead of Lady Almagest who is far more qualified.[/B]"

Harrison snorted, "[B]Well if he's spending his time prying into people's affairs instead tending to school business, it's no wonder.[/B]"

"[B]Oh it's true, I hear that he spends a lot of his time doing nothing more than collecting gossip and then turning around and publishing it as if it were history.[/B]" The boy shrugged. "[B]Anyway, he's going to find his stay here rather interesting.[/B]"

"[B]Oh?[/B]" Harrison didn't miss that implication. "[B]You'll have to let me in on that you know.[/B]"

The class went silent as their teacher entered the room and Harrison and the other boy quickly turned to face the front of the room, giving the teacher their full attention.

"[B]Good morning class,[/B]" she said as she reached the desk by the chalkboard, "[B]Before we get started,[/B]" She looked around until her eyes met Harrison's. "[B]You have been summoned to the Head Master's office Harrison, get going young man.[/B]"

[I]Great[/I], Harrison groaned as he got to his feet, [I]he doesn't waste any time does he? [/I]

"[B]Ouch![/B]" The other boy whispered as he walked by, Harrison just shrugged indifferently and then left the classroom.

The sound of footsteps coming down the hall caught his attention and he turned to see Victoria coming his way, clearly heading towards the Head Master's office as well.

"[B]So that fool called you as well did he?[/B]" He asked her as she caught up to him. Victoria just nodded. "[B]Well, just leave it to me, okay?[/B]" Victoria was just silent, saying nothing, after all, Harrison knew that she had never been called in for discipline before. Unlike him, she was well behaved in school, never getting into trouble.

It didn't take the two very long to get there and the moment they entered Harrison knew it was not good, Lector Moebius was clearly angry as he held a cane in his right hand and he was tapping his other hand with it, as if in anticipation of punishing both of them. He waited for both of them to enter and come forward until they were standing before his desk, facing him.

"[B]I'm sure I don't need to tell you why the two of you are here,[/B]" He said conversationally as he quit tapping his hand with the cane and simply held it with both hands so it was in front of him at an angle.

"[B]No sir,[/B]" Harrison replied when it became clear that he expected a response.

"[B]Good, such disrespect towards one's elders is hardly the sign of a gentleman or a lady for that matter and corrective measures are required to remind both of you that here at CHAOS, such ill mannered responses will not be tolerated.[/B]" He tapped the desk with the cane.

"[B]Place your hands here Victoria Ann, palms up.[/B]" When she didn't respond immediately, he slammed the cane on the corner of the desk. "[B]Now![/B]" He bellowed, causing Victoria to jump.

Harrison caught her shoulder as she started to timidly move forward and shoved her behind him. "[B]If you touch her,[/B]" he snarled coldly as he looked Moebius directly in the eyes, "[B]I'll kill you.[/B]"

For just a moment the two stared at one another, Harrison with a look of defiance and Moebius with a look of sheer disbelief before his features twisted with rage and he stepped forward raising the cane to strike Harrison across the face.

"[B]That will be enough children,[/B]" A stern voice said from the doorway. Startled the three turned to see Catherine standing in the doorway, a look of disapproval on her face.

"[B]Lady Almagest...[/B]" Moebius started to speak but she cut him off.

"[B]I said that will be enough![/B]" Catherine said firmly, she turned to face Victoria and Harrison. "[B]Leave us children, return to your classes, the Head Master and I have something important to talk about.[/B]"

Harrison couldn't get out of there fast enough, grabbing Victoria's hand and bodily pulling her along out the door and down the hallway, running as fast as he could without pulling Victoria off her feet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

A frail, elderly woman leaned over Vincent's shoulder and delicately refilled his wine glass.

'Yes, my boy, drink up!' cried Gaul Rosier, who sat opposite Vincent. An elaborate oak dining table divided the two men as they lunched in Rosier House.

Rosier House was an imposing building but it was nothing like Rosengard, thought Vincent. Rosengard may have been clean and tidy, but everywhere there was evidence of it having been lived in; family portraits, children's paintings and the sounds of talking or laughter echoing down the halls.

In stark contrast, Rosier House felt cold and empty. There were occasional portraits lining certain walls, but none seemed to involve Gaul or anyone directly connected to him. Rosier House seemed almost entirely abandoned; it had apparently been built to house a large family, but in the end only Gaul and his staff lived there.

Vincent knew that Gaul had been married once. His wife had apparently passed away years ago, although the circumstances were not public knowledge. Vincent did know, however, that Gaul had never managed to have children. Perhaps this explained something about his outlook, thought Vincent.

The previous night had been difficult for everyone. Lady Grimalkin had given an important clue to Vincent, but despite its obvious message, Vincent knew that it would be almost impossible to locate the perpetrators. In reality, New Czenoble's population was many times larger than that of High Czenoble. Moreover, Vincent suspected that the residents of New Czenoble would be generally unwilling to support a Royal Police Guard investigation, especially one focused on their own citizens.

Vincent had arrived at his apartment late in the evening, only to find an urgent telegram from Gaul Rosier sitting on his desk. Gaul had requested lunch with Vincent at his home on the south coast the following day.

And now the pair were sitting in the opulent surrounds of the Rosier dining room, enjoying the very best wine that Czenovia produced.

At least, Gaul was enjoying the wine. Vincent was feeling increasingly uneasy.

'So,' said Gaul finally, 'do you have any idea who these people are? They have a symbol, which suggests and organized group.'

Gaul examined the note with one hand and swirled his wine in the other.

'I have no idea,' said Vincent truthfully, 'but the presence of an organization changes everything for us.'

Gaul looked over the note at Vincent and raised an eyebrow. 'If anything, I would say that an organized group makes things much easier. These groups need to meet and communicate amongst their members. If we were dealing with random acts of terrorism, the matter would be much more difficult.'

'I see,' said Vincent. He knew better than to disagree too forcefully with Gaul.

'You may have heard,' said Gaul casually, 'that we have begun several new initiatives in New Czenoble.'

Vincent nodded. 'I received some information from your office about this today, but I don't yet know the details.'

'Well,' said Gaul, 'first and foremost, we are imposing a strict curfew on all residents of New Czenoble. It will begin tomorrow night. No citizen will be allowed on the streets after ten o'clock.'

Vincent sipped his wine, as Gaul continued.

'Furthermore, we are doubling our deployment of Guard officers in the city. We are transferring a quarter of the Guard from High Czenoble to New Czenoble. The officers will attend regular street patrols and they will be stationed at several major production facilities, to prevent repeats of recent kidnappings.'

'I see,' said Vincent. 'Is there any progress on the investigation into Leonhart's disappearance?'

Gaul's expression hardened slightly. 'Actually I have been looking into this personally; Leonhart has always been a close friend of mine. We have several leads within New Czenoble, but gathering intelligence is slow and difficult. I have ordered several arrests of prominent trouble-makers. Several of them have been brought to our High Czenoble headquarters for questioning; I do not expect them to be released soon.'

It was becoming increasingly difficult for Vincent to accept Gaul's stance, especially as it grew increasingly tough. Nevertheless, Vincent did care for Leonhart and no matter what the legitimate political grievances of those who kidnapped him, he knew that kidnapping and law-breaking should not be rewarded.

Still, Vincent wondered where it would end. Despite his position, he was not at all able to contradict Gaul Rosier's orders. To do so would, at the very least, get him kicked out of the Guard. At the worst, he might be charged with treason - depending, of course, on Gaul's mood at the time.

Vincent was convinced that part of the answer lay within Rosengard itself; specificaly, Gadget. He wanted to know what kind of experiments Macey had been running. Even more than that, Vincent wondered if Gadget had seen or heard anything suspicious during the experiments; was there anyone, even internally, who knew more about what was happening?

Vincent decided to return to Rosengard immediately after his lunch. Learning more from Macey and Gadget was going to be critical, but he also couldn't ignore the voice in the back of his mind that continually reminded him of his odd connection with Gadget.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Catherine waited until the children were clearly gone before she entered Lector Moebius's office and closed the door behind her. She could see the uncertainty on Moebius's face as he hastily put the cane away and moved to greet her properly. But Catherine was in no mood for false pleasantries that would be nothing more than a means for him to attempt to cover the fact that he had lost his temper in her presence. He hadn't realized she was there as her visit was unexpected, but still, that did not matter to Catherine.

Before he could even take two steps she spoke. "[B]Sit down Head Master Moebius.[/B]" When he hesitated she spoke more firmly, using the same tone he had with the children. "[B]Now![/B]"

Startled he did as she said. "[B]Lady Almagest, surely you understand that it is important to uphold discipline and order here at CHAOS.[/B]" He said nervously as she took a seat herself in one of the rich leather seats across from the desk.

Catherine ignored him in favor of getting her dress just right to avoid creases before she finally looked up, noting how he looked nervous. "[B]Our methods of discipline may differ, but I assure you I have always upheld order here at CHAOS.[/B]" She raised her head a bit. "[B]Let me ask you a question Head Master, in your opinion, do you think it's important for a historian to be observant?[/B]"

"[B]Of course. One must give their full attention to the matter at hand if they are to do history justice."[/B] He said importantly.

"[B]I'm glad to hear it Moebius, so tell me what are your observations in regards to Harrison and Victoria Ann? After all, I understand you looked into why the two of them were gone yesterday, based on that, what did you observe about them today upon meeting them.?[/B]" She waited patiently as he hesitated, still unsure as to what Catherine was getting at.

"[B]To be frank Lady Almagest, they were unruly and ill mannered, something I find surprising considering your claims as to maintaining order.[/B]" He leaned forward, placing his hands on the desk. "[B]Perhaps your methods of discipline need reviewing?[/B]"

Catherine smiled at the challenge in those words, "[B]Or perhaps your powers of observation aren't as keen as you think they are.[/B]" She ignored his indignant start. "[B]I asked you what your observations were and though it is true that they were unruly as you say, it is also true that Harrison has cuts on his face and Victoria Ann has bruises on her arms. Do you know why? Or did you even notice?[/B]"

Lector Moebius started to say something and then stopped, causing Catherine to sigh as if she had just realized that a student had disappointed her by failing an exam that should have been easy.

"[B]It's quite simple Head Master, if you had truly taken the time to find out what happened yesterday instead of prying into the affairs of my family.[/B]" She silenced his objections with a glance, knowing full well that he was a nosy gossip. "[B]As I was saying if you had truly found out you would have known that the two of them were caught up in the unfortunate mess in New Czenoble, the minor injuries they sustained came from being to close to one of the explosions. The two of them are fortunate that they were not seriously hurt.[/B]"

Catherine stood up, prompting the Head Master to do the same. "[B]I had no idea Lady Almagest!"[/B]

"[B]Of course not, I'm sure the standard rumor that wealthy families beat their children was more than enough for you to not look further to discover the truth of the matter.[/B]" She said icily causing him to look chagrined.

"[B]I'm sure you can understand how the trauma of not only being hurt themselves and possibly losing a dear relative that they love is more than enough to make any child unruly or out of sorts for bit.[/B]"

"[B]Of course, but surely you don't think...[/B]"

Catherine cut him off. "[B]Oh they'll be disciplined all right, but not by you Head Master. I will see to it myself. Even if they had a terrible experience yesterday, there was no excuse for such rude behavior. It does however warrant leniency as to the nature of the discipline they will receive.[/B]" She turned to leave not giving the Head Master another glance as she headed to the door to his office.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center][indent][size=1]Even during his meal the servants were hurredly redecorating the estate to mourn Leonhart's passing, a sight that echoed his mother's death in many ways. The breakfast table was quiet, as Eva, Dawlish and Fauntleroy were the only ones eating. Dawlish tried to distract himself with the latest issue of The Chronicle, as Eva struggled to maintain her composure. Fauntleroy felt like he needed to say something to lighten to mood; but iltimately couldn't find the words.

"[b]... I went to Magitech's office in town,[/b]" Dawlish said in between bites of his toast, "[b]But by the time I got there word of the accident had spread. They closed up before I had the chance to speak to anyone.[/b]"

Fauntleroy nodded, "[b]I'm sorry to hear that. You know if there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.[/b]"

"[b]I'm just looking for answers, Fauntleroy. If your suspicions are right, then that means someone was responsible for what happened all those years ago...[/b]"

He stared down at his injured leg, "[b]...Maybe I wouldn't have to live my life as a cripple. It doesn't seem fair.[/b]"

"[b]Nothing is fair, Dawlish![/b]" Eva shouted as she rose to her feet. She was wearing a midnight black gown once belonging to her mother, "[b]How can you even talk about these... [i]theories[/i] of yours while your family is in mourning?[/b]"

Fauntleroy reached for his sister's hand, but she pulled away, "[b]Eva![/b]"

"[b]I'm sorry to get so upset -- but there's point in chasing ghosts around. The both of you need to learn to grow up...[/b]"

Eva placed her napkin on the table and walked away. Fauntleroy and Dawlish exchanged a glance.

"[b]It's not that I don't care, Fauntleroy. It just doesn't seem real is what it is.[/b]"

"[b]I-- I know.[/b]"

"[b]Your father was a good man, he didn't deserve this...[/b]" Dawlish whispered slammed his fist against the table in anger, "[b]None of us deserve this.[/b]"

After breakfast Fauntleroy decided to hide himself in his bedroom so that he could catch up on his work for The Chronicle. Due to the circumstances of the day, Fonty hadn’t managed to finish his article on time. [I]Another missed deadline,[/I] he thought to himself, [I]Maybe Eva is right.[/I]

Beatriste’s strong words had stuck with him from the night before. If he had only known the children were with him he never would have bothered with his trip in the first place. His sister knew this all too well, but Fauntleroy suspected that she was just looking for someone to pin her anger to. Father’s death had been a shock to everyone, but it still hadn’t entirely sunken in. Fauntleroy wondered if what he felt was denial, or just indifference. Even though they had lived in such close proximity, the two hadn’t spoken in years. In fact, if he had been asked just two days earlier, he would have replied that Leonhart Almagest was dead to him already.

Fauntleroy thought carefully about these things as he sat in the photographic darkroom he had built in his large closet. His finest camera, not to mention his steam car, had been destroyed during the rioting; he was fortunate to have any photographs at all, even if they were taken with his mother’s older model.

As the prints developed under candlelight Fauntleroy noticed something strange in one of the photographs. While most of the photographs were clearly of New Czenoble, the rioters and the Celcius Complex, there was one image he couldn’t recall taking. Slowly a vague, silhouetted figure materialized on the white paper, revealing his father, bound by the wrists in some sort of cellar.

“[b]What?[/b]”

Leonhart Almagest, along with several other older men, seemed to be held captive. If this strange image was taken by his mother it would have been decades old, but given that it featured Leonhart’s signature gray hair that seemed impossible!

“[b]If I didn’t take the photo, where did it come from?[/b]”[/size][/indent]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
Macey rushed Jack through the hall, stopping him at turns and corners to make sure no one saw them. The little guy Jack was carrying was knocked out cold in his arms, and didn't move much as they ran. Finally they arrived at a door, one that was familiar to Jack. He'd never seen it opened, nor had he ever wondered what was behind it.Macey pulled a key from her bosom and opened the door. Inside was dark, lit only by candles sparsed throughout. Macey pointed a slender finger toward the door, gesturing Jack to go in. Jack gulped a bit, hoping she wasn't about to hurt the poor kid. Guilt started pouring over him from the night before.

[B]"Oh hurry up you!"[/B] whispered Macey, as if she were afraid someone might hear. Jack obliged, only wanting this situation to be over so he could leave. He wanted no part in what ever craziness that happened behind closed doors in Rosengard . Oh if only he had that same mentality not so long ago. Together they descended down the long stairwell into a cryptic room, dank and dark. There were glass beakers and cylinders everywhere, and it looked like a laboratory of some sort. [B]"Put him on the table."[/B]

Jack removed his jacket and folded it under the kid's head, feeling somewhat sorry for the little tyke. Jack was borderline panicked right now, though he didn't show it. He turned to find Macey , who to his surprise had an alarmingly large syringe and was heading straight towards him. [B]"Wait, NO! I don't know what the hell's going on but you are NOT about to hurt that kid!"[/B] screamed Jack as he grabbed Macey and pushed her back away from the table.

[B]"You fool, unhand me. He needs this!"[/B] cried Macey, struggling to get out of Jack's firm grip.

[B]"What the kid needs is a doctor, not some crazed- Give me THAT!"[/B] Macey attempted to stab Jack with a hidden knife. He hadn't seen it coming and he immediately knocked it from her hand. Suddenly, Jack felt a jolt in his chest, as if someone had just reached into his ribs and grasped his heart. He collapsed on the ground and watched feebly as Macey walked to the kid and gave him the injection. [B]"Damn...alchemists."[/B] Jack muttered as the grip was released from his heart.

Jack rose uneasily, and took a moment to catch his breath. He heard Macey over at the table muttering "precious" as she rocked the kid back and forth on her bosom. To Jack's amazement, the kid's eyes opened, and he was staring at Jack. He begin feeling foolish for his earlier actions. After the initial shock began to wear off, Jack finally got up the courage to speak. [B]"Who is he, and what the hell did you just give him?"[/B]

[B]"Don't bother yourself with such trivial questions. Just know he's fine now."[/B] said Macey, kissing the boy's forehead and whispering something to him before letting him go. [B]"Mr. Deacon, follow me."[/B]

Jack walked with her up the stairs and out of the little room, away from the kid. Jack was motivated more by learning the truth, than actually her orders. They made it to the door, and just as Jack was about to open it, the icy hand grabbed his heart again. He felt cold and turned to face Macey , who simply looked at him. He fell against the door, and slid down it as his body began to feel as if it would erupt. He'd studied his share of medical books at CHAOS, and knew it was a matter of time before he would black out.Macey walked up and knelt down in front of him, grabbing his face in her long slender fingers. [B]"Mr. Deacon, this room, this situation, everything you've seen here was not meant for your eyes. I'm sorry to do this, but I have to ask you not to tell anyone about what went on down here."[/B]

Jack felt blood coming up in the back of his throat, and in more of a gurgle than actual spoken word he replied, [B]"I'd never dream of it."[/B]

[B]"Good."[/B]

Jack felt the grip release from his heart, and his blood flow immediately returned to normal. He stood and adjusted himself. [I]Good work Deacon[/I], he thought to himself, [I]you walk away from the girl of your dreams right into the arms of the angel of death. You do know how to pick them[/I].

[/COLOR][/FONT][CENTER]***
[/CENTER]
Morphia awoke as the sun hit her eyes through the window. It looked as if it would be a beautiful day. She yawned stretching under the silk sheets that covered her, rubbing her legs together and curling her toes. Something was off though, she turned in her covers to face the door, and there stood Jack, looking rather worn out and tired. [B]"What are you-"[/B]

[B]"Morphia, get dressed, I'm taking you home. Right now."[/B] said Jack, he began coughing. He'd yet to recover from his encounter this morning.

Morphia began to say something, but seeing at her sickly and ragged looking brother, she knew something must be going on. [B]"Give me a few moments."[/B] she said as she stepped out of bed. In the next couple of minutes she found her clothes and laid them out. As she was about to remove her slip, she looked at Jack who was still standing there, looking restless. [B]"Would you like to watch?" [/B]she asked sarcastically.

[B]"Oh, sorry."[/B] said Jack, coughing again, before exiting the room.

He stood outside of her room with his hands deep in his pockets. Meredyne walked up, fully dressed. Earlier Jack had entered her room unannounced too, having a very similar brief and awkward conversation with her. [B]"Jonathan, are you going to tell me what this is all about?"[/B]

Jack looked around before speaking, [B]"There is something going on in this house. I don't know what. I don't care to find out. I do, however, want you and my family far away from it."[/B]

As he spoke, Macey appeared from around the corner, walking with that damned kid. Jack watched them as they walked by, almost as if he were scared Macey was going to breathe fire on him. They walked past Jack and Meredyne just as Morphia emerged from her room. [B]"Good morning all, wonderful day isn't it? It's not nice to stare Mr. Deacon." [/B]

Jack held his stare as she walked by. Meredyne looked from her to Jack and back again, [B]"She's right Jonathan. You could at least speak to the lady."[/B] said Meredyne, looking quite insulted.

Jack, not wanting to bother with explaining anything simply pulled her and Morphia along and together, without another word to anyone, they left Rosengard.

[/COLOR][/FONT][CENTER]***
[/CENTER]
Aboard the Cygnus, Jack showered in one of its cabins, washing away the stench of Macey. After this little ritual, he descended into its lower quarters and into its armory. There weren't many weapons there, as Jack's business was stealing, not murdering. He pulled a revolver from the wall and tucked it into his pants and put a jacket on to conceal it. He wasn't going to keep him mouth closed on Macey's account, but rather for the safety of his sister who was returning today. Who knew how many Almagests were in on it, whatever it was. He thought back to his encounter with Macey and her use of alchemy. It had been a while since he'd had to use it. So long in fact that the thought hadn't occurred for him to use it to protect himself this morning. He snapped his fingers once, to no avail. He snapped them again with the same results. Frustrated, Jack tried one last time, this time igniting a small spark. Despite the progress he wasn't going to be able to do anything with it. Hell, that's why he has his gun.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
"[B]You never had any intention of dismissing Aliecia, did you?[/B]" Alexander asked the Director, not bothering to make small talk.

"[B]Over something as trivial as treating a few unworthy citizens of New Czenoble? Not likely.[/B]" He half snorted. "[B]I don't know what nonsense some of the other head potionists and doctors have been telling her, but I'd never dismiss someone as talented as Alecia over something like that. Especially since...[/B]" He stopped, looking embarrassed.

"[B]Especially since she's married to one of those [I]unworthy[/I] citizens of New Czenoble.[/B]" Alexander finished for him, sighing inwardly at the unintended insult. It wasn't the first time he'd run into that sentiment and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

"[B]I don't consider you unworthy, after all Leonhart would have never approved of your marriage to Alecia if he felt that you would not make a good match. But the truth of the matter is there is not enough personnel or supplies to treat those of New Czenoble, even if I were so inclined.[/B]" The Director apologized.

"[B]And though it is a distasteful practice to refer to you in such a manner, letting others think her kind sentiments towards the citizens of New Czenoble are a result of her marriage... Well I'm sure that you can understand how that makes overlooking her disregard for policy and procedure a simple matter.[/B]"

Alexander just nodded, after all the Director was correct and even if he said nothing, people would think that just the same, unwilling to accept that Alecia really did care about the citizens of New Czenoble. He was more than willing to accept that others thought less of him, especially since they already did.

"[B]Yes, I do understand,[/B]" Alexander finally said.

"[B]Good,[/B]" The Director seemed relieved. "[B]I was fairly certain you would. Now, I'm sure the question on your mind is whether or not this would put Alecia in any danger. I've been assured that those we are promoting will not have to worry about that. You can verify this with your superior, but it is my understanding that though Alecia and the others are talented, they are also inexperienced, so it's unlikely that any of them would be in any danger at all.[/B]"

"[B]I'll keep that in mind.[/B]" Alexander replied, not bothering to point out that if someone had been kidnapped to stop an experiment, they would move to stop anyone continuing the work. Though he suspected that the Director was correct since he doubted that the Eshe Rehema Medical Center did biological warfare research on the side. That was something Alecia would never do, ever. She would not make potions meant only to do harm.

"[B]Thank you for your time, please be sure to inform Alecia that I'll meet her at the usual place for lunch.[/B]"

"[B]Of course.[/B]" The Director said as Alexander let himself out and then left the center to head to the headquarters of the Royal Police Guard. He would have preferred to tell her himself, but he was out of time if he didn't want to be late.

It didn't take Alexander long to get to the gates of the Guard building and slip in to check in with his superior before heading out on patrol. Maneuvering through the many desks and hallways to get to his department. He was not expecting the utter chaos that greeted him though, people were hustling back and forth and shouting over the noise as orders were being given.

"[B]There you are Alexander![/B]" A loud voice boomed out. He turned to see his superior heading his way and then he staggered when he slapped him heartily on the back.

"[B]So how did your meeting with the Director of Eshe Rehema Medical Center go? I take it you got everything straightened out?[/B]" He waited for Alexander to nod before continuing. "[B]Good! Now have you read todays update yet?[/B]" He smiled broadly when Alexander shook his head indicating that he had not.

"[B]Excellent, it will be easier if I explain it to you.[/B]" He steered Alexander towards his office. "[B]You see, new initiatives are being put in place in New Czenoble, including a strict curfew and a transfer of one quarter of the Guard here in High Czenoble to New Czenoble in order to enforce the new initiatives.[/B]"

Alexander couldn't help but tense at the thought, did that mean that he would be sent to New Czenoble? The trip between the two cities would making having time with Alecia next to impossible other than to sleep! He hadn't realized that he was looking concerned until his superior spoke up.

"[B]Now that's why I wanted to explain it to you myself, you and all members of the Royal Police Guard who have family here are not being sent to New Czenoble, there are more than enough of the Guard who do not to meet the required numbers.[/B]"

"[B]Ah...[/B]"

His superior just laughed at him and slapped him on the back again. "[B]No need to worry over it,[/B]" He lowered his voice a bit. "[B]After all if I had a pretty wife like you did I'd be reluctant to be separated from her as well. Now unless you have any questions, you'd better get started on your patrol if you're going to be done in time to meet her for lunch.[/B]"

Alexander just watched him with a dumbfounded expression before someone pushing him aside since he was in the way brought him back to his senses. With a shake of his head he grabbed the report by the night watch and then headed out the door to get started.

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Gadget clung to Macey's hand, trusting her to keep him safe. They made it back to the relative stillness and quiet of her own room, which someone had already picked up, and she sat him down on the bed and handed him a glass of water.[/i]

"Drink all of that up right away."

[i]He did, spilling a little, but polishing off the glass regardless. She refilled it, then handed it back to him with similar instructions. Then she paused, and dragged a slender chair across the floor to stand close to the bed, and she sat, folding her skirt carefully over her knees. Gadget looked up at her, and she looked back at him with a gentle look in her eyes.[/i]

"What did you do to Mr. Deacon?"

"I had to use alchemy on him. He would've exposed you to others, and I wouldn't risk that for anything."

"It looks like you hurt him really bad. I thought you liked him."

"Well I did like him, but he saw the wrong things, said the worst things, and you'll always be more important to me than some handsome face. Besides that, the damage shouldn't be permanent."

[i]Macey shrugged her shoulders casually, more to reassure herself than him, and stood up, feeling just a bit guilty. As she dressed behind a folding screen, she promised him a breakfast of some kind as soon as she could commandeer a servant into it. While her servant had laid out black, Macey snubbed it, and instead put on an ensemble of navy blue instead. Gadget meanwhile was amusing himself with a sheaf of paper's on her desk and a pencil she'd given him earlier.

In the hall, she was about to head for the kitchens and find something for herself as well as her small charge, when her very own brother appeared.[/i]

"Good morning Fonty. I trust you're none the worse for wear after yesterday?"

"Quite. And yourself?"

"Alright. There was a bit of trouble this morning with my assistant, but everything's fine now."

[i]Fauntleroy frowned, and Macey took an unconscious step back. First Daedalus, then Jack, now Fonty. Maybe later the women could gang up on her too.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]Rosengard was abuzz with activity as Daedalus drew closer to the estate's centre. Servants he had no idea existed were busy cleaning and polishing with a remarkable vigour, evidently Bavaria's return was to be met with perfection. Inwardly Daedalus grimaced, he liked his sister-in-law well enough, it just felt horribly wrong that Rosengard had to undergo such a transformation for her arrival, she was family, so by all rights she ought to have been accommodated in the same manner as any other Almagest.

Daedalus found himself stopping at the head of the large marble staircase that lead away from the foyer, the latest family portrait hanging majestically in it's golden frame. It was a little over a year old, but the faces of each family member were still instantly recognisable. Daedalus himself looked impassive, standing next to his brother, the height difference obvious, it was almost comical... almost. Vaguely he could hear Anna's voice in the background issuing orders, it snapped him back into the waking world.

"[b]Jeanne, I want this floor utterly spotless. Marie, that bust of Lord Rueben must look like new. Claude make sure that all the dinner preparations are ready.[/b]"

There were a chorus of affirmatives as the trio rushed off to fulfil their assigned duties. Daedalus descended down the staircase as quickly as possible, by the time Lady Anna had noticed his arrival, he was already within a normal speaking range. The first thing that struck him was how worn she looked, her directing the staff was probably the best way she could maintain her energy and exterior.

"[b]Anna. That note you gave Vincent... I need to know everything about that night.[/b]"

Within a few minutes he had heard all she knew, it was as he suspected, she knew nothing more than it had arrived and been given to Leonhart.

"[b]MASTER ALMAGEST, MASTER ALMAGEST !![/B]"

Turning, Daedalus watched as one of the servants came bounding down the same stairs he had used only moments earlier. Obviously there was something wrong, but from the look on his face, Daedalus could not discern the exact nature of the emergency. Lady Anna strode forward to intercede between them.

"[b]Calm down Lucius, whatever is the matter ?[/b]"

"[b]My apologies Lady Grimalkin, two messages have arrived for Master Daedalus, and they are marked urgent.[/b]"

Dozens of possibilities poured through Daedalus' mind... Had something happened to Harrison ? Or Nellie ? Or was it one of the other family members ? Maybe they have found Leonhart's body... He dashed forward rather ungracefully and grabbed the two telegrams. The first was a request by the Magitech's board of directors for his immediate presence... not unexpected...in the aftermath of yesterday, obviously they'd assumed he'd taken over as patriarch...still he would have to see to that meeting immediate.

"[b]Anna, I want my personal aircraft made ready immediately.[/b]"

The woman merely nodded and issued a command to an awaiting staff-member.

Daedalus quickly folded the notice and placed it within his jacket pocket. Slowly he opened the second message...it was from Catherine... As he digested the message's contents he could feel an his inner retrain buckle against a fresh torrent of anger... From between his gritted teeth, he allowed only a single word to seethe through.

"[b]...Moebius.[/b]"

Seeing his sudden and violent change in temperament, Anna attempted to calm the elder Almagest down.

"[b]Daedalus ? What is it ? What's wrong ?[/b]"

"[b]Nothing Anna. The Magitech Board wants to see me, that's all.[/b]"

She frowned in concern.

"[b]I've known you a long time Daedalus. The board meeting was the first letter, please tell me the truth, what was in the second letter ?[/b]"

"[b]A trespass against the family.[/b]"

Furiously Daedalus stormed through the hallways of Rosengard, Anna did not follow him, she knew the only person capable of calming him in that situation was Harriet, but unfortunately the Lady Almagest was still resting from the previous evening. She only hoped he would not do anything rash.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

The High Academy had not changed in the previous twenty-four hours. Even after the journey from Rosengard, Daedalus was still livid at the audacity of that...historian. His boots sounded hard against the polished marble floors of the ancient institute, memories of his time there flooded back. There was no attempt made to stop Daedalus from entering, simply a varying collection of looks from surprise to expectation. As he reached the headmaster's office, he could hear raised voices within, instantly he registered the second to belong to his sister.

"[b]"Oh they'll be disciplined all right, but not by you Head Master. I will see to it myself. Even if they had a terrible experience yesterday, there was no excuse for such rude behaviour. It does however warrant leniency as to the nature of the discipline they will receive.[/b]"

"[b]That won't be necessary.[/b]"

Dressed entirely in black, Daedalus was not in the least bit surprised as Lector visibly paled as he entered the room. Catherine merely tilted her head at her brother's timely arrival. In truth, he rather imagined how imposing he must have looked, it gave him some small measure of satisfaction.

"[b]L...Lord... Almagest... I... I...uh...[/b]"

Ignoring the man, Daedalus turned his attention to his sibling.

"[b]Catherine, if you are done. Please call Harrison from whatever class he is in, I wish to have a word with him in private after I have spoken to Lector.[/b]"

Despite the fact Daedalus appeared completely calm, Catherine could obviously sense the barely withheld tempest lurking just below the surface in that she did not question his request.

"[b]Of course.[/b]"

Rising from her seat, she gave Moebius a final glare before walking towards the door.

"[b]...And Victoria Ann as well[/b]"

She glanced back at her brother, his face remaining impassive as he stared at her before striding put of the office, closing the door behind her. Daedalus returned his attention to Lector, who once again blanched under the alchemist's gaze.

"[b]Lo..Lord Daedalus... if...if I might bb... be so bb.. bold.[/b]"

"[b]You. May. Not.[/b]"

He didn't shout. His tone was like ice. This was not a conversation, Daedalus would say what he had to say, and if Lector was fortunate, he would not break down in a gibbering heap afterwards.

"[b]Am I to understand it correctly Lector, that you attempted to discipline a member of my household, without my expressed consent ? Be aware Lector, you have two choices of response, yes, or no. Anything else, and I may lose my temper.[/b]"

"[b]With... with all due...[/b]"

"[B]YES OR NO !![/B]"

Daedalus slammed his closed fist down on the desk, creating a deep indent and sending several objects flying.

"[b]...yes[/b]"

Moebius' second response was little more than a whisper, he was ghastly pale at this point, his fright evident from the uncontrolled shaking.

"[b]Thank you for your honesty. Now, let me be equally frank Lector. I don't know exactly how you got this job, when I've experimented on FUNGUS that was better qualified. I can only assume it was by grace and favour. But rest assured, if you attempt to repeat such... insolence[/b]"

Daedalus drew out the word, casting a finger towards the headmaster. His voice remained icy.

"[b]...in regard to member of my house, I will cast you so far down into New Czenoble's slums, you will never see legible writing again. Is that in any way unclear ?[/b]"

Between a mixture of gibbering and frantic nods, Lector made his affirmation. Daedalus merely smiled, rose from his seat, and paced purposefully out the door, feeling considerably better than he had when he'd walked in.

At the entrance to the Academy he found Catherine waiting with Victoria Ann and Harrison. His face remained inscrutable, both of them were looking at their shoes, evidently Catherine had given them a tongue lashing already. Daedalus sighed heavily.

"[b]I thought we'd agreed no more escapades.[/b]"

Harrison gave his father a pained look, Victoria Ann raised her head, but did not meet her granduncle's gaze.

"[b]But father...[/b]"

"[b]Harrison...[/b]"

Catherine's remained calm, but held warning.

"[b]I'm sorry Uncle Daedalus...[/b]"

Victoria Ann's voice was almost inaudible, but Daedalus could hear the despondency in her voice.

"[b]Catherine...they've both had a trying day...I would, with your approval like to avoid further punishment.[/b]"

The old man's voice was soft, his anger having all but dissipated. Catherine sighed, frowning at her older brother.

"[b]He is your son Daedalus, and I am not Victoria Ann's mother. The choice falls to you.[/b]"

"[b]Very well. I want you two to promise me, that this time, there will be no more escapades.[/b]"

"[b]We promise...[/b]"

He smiled, they were looking at their shoes again.

"[b]Dad...[/b]"

"[b]Yes Harrison ?[/b]"

"[b]...Did...did you make him cry ?[/b]"

Daedalus couldn't suppress the laugh in time. Catherine gave him an admonishing glance. Harrison looked up with a small smile on his face.

"[b]No Harrison, I didn't.[/b]"

He looked back to his sister.

"[b]Catherine, please escort Victoria Ann back to class. I just want one more word in private between myself and Harrison.[/b]"

Sighing, Catherine glanced to the Heavens before taking Victoria's hand and guiding her down the hallways. When Daedalus was sure she was out of earshot, he placed his hand on Harrison's shoulder.

"[b]I'm proud of you son. You protected your cousin like a good man should.[/b]"

"[b]Dad...I...[/b] He exhaled. "[b]Thanks.[/b]"

"[b]Alright. But Harrison remember, respect should never be given, it must always be earned. That applies to you, and the Headmaster. I don't want a repeat of what happened today, I will excuse it only this once because it wasn't entirely your or Victoria Ann's fault.[/b]

Squeezing Harrison's shoulder, Daedalus motioned for him to follow his aunt and cousin and return to his lecture. It seemed in only a day, he had managed to form a new bond with his son. Exiting the Academy, he braced himself for the meeting with Magitech's board. [/size][/indent]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Vincent's steam car rolled through the inner-city streets. Up ahead, he could see Grand Square, the center of High Czenoble. It was necessary to drive through the city to reach Rosengard, which was out the other side.

The ride was mostly quiet, giving Vincent time to leaf through the paperwork he'd been given by Gaul. Most of the papers were related to mass arrest orders, as well as submissions to the King for widespread curfews. Vincent noticed that the curfew order for New Czenoble had not yet been given Royal Assent; that is, the King had not yet signed off on it. Any major changes to law - including martial law - required Royal Assent.

Perhaps Gaul had simply assumed that the Dynast King would approve the measure and his signature was only a formality?

For the most part, though, Gaul had complete autonomy; he was able to approve all kinds of major security measures at any time, without the approval (or even knowledge) of the King. Vincent often wondered why the King had appointed a man who had been part of the Mine War; Gaul's views were widely known and they affected Royal Police Guard policy.

In any case, Vincent couldn't help but feel that something was in the air - something he hadn't felt before in Czenovia. Although he never told anyone, he wondered if he was witnessing the beginnings of a Civil War. After all, it had happened in Anova almost a century ago; the commoners had become increasingly unhappy with what they perceived to be an arrogant and domineering Royalty. In a bloody Civil War that lasted several years - and killed thousands - the Royal Family was overthrown and a democratic civilian government was installed.

Many of the poor in New Czenoble did not know that their closest neighbouring country had gone through such a war, or that it was now, in fact, democratic. Poor education combined with a fairly tightly controlled media meant that factory workers in New Czenoble were largely ignorant - especially relating to foreign affairs.

Moreover, few New Czenobles could afford to travel. New Czenoble's Aerodrome was only small and usually it was only the senior managers of major firms who travelled between High and New Czenoble; general public air transport was largely unnecessary if nobody could afford it.

Vincent suddenly realized that he had been so wound up in his own thoughts that he hadn't noticed the immense traffic jam in front of the steam car. He looked around and noticed many frustrated drivers; even the elegant golden rickshaws had nowhere to go.

The glass panel separating Vincent from his driver wound down. His driver was a surprisingly uncultured fellow, but Vincent found him to be refreshing. He had obviously come from New Czenoble and was one of the few New Czenobles to be lucky enough to work in High Czenoble. His name was Sanderson.

'Sanderson, can you see what's happening ahead of us? An accident maybe?' called Vincent.

Sanderson shook his head vigorously. 'No sir, no accident up that way. Looks like a freighter has stopped in the middle of the intersection. Bloody freighter drivers! Think they own the road!'

Vincent grinned. Sanderson was known for his road rage.

As suddenly as the jam had started, Vincent noticed that several people had gotten out of their vehicles and were wandering between the lanes. Vincent rolled his window down to get a better view; just as he did this, he heard a chilling smash. His head jerked backwards instinctively.

'Sir!' called Sanderson frantically, 'What's going on?! Are you okay?!'

'Y-yes,' said Vincent, as he looked around the interior. The neck of a deep green bottle lay near the rear seat. The seat and carpet were covered with shards of glass.

Vincent put a gloved hand to his face and pulled it away. His grey leather glove was smeared with red and brown; the glass had grazed his cheek.

He promptly rolled the window up and just as he did so, he was blinded by a flash of brilliant white light.

Vincent was thrown back into the other side of the vehicle, as it lurched sideways. He was deaf. It was like being underwater. Glass swarmed the air around him and sunlight broke in through the gaping hole in the roof.

As sound returned, he heard distant sirens and the cry of panicked crowds.

Vincent immediately knew what had happened, but now, he simply needed to get out. He crawled across the floor on his elbows and glanced over the front seat.

Sanderson lay across the front seat, his arms outstretched. His cap was on the floor. Vincent frantically tried to pull him up, but it was no use; his body was lifeless and impossibly heavy.

A photo of his beaming young daughter sat on the dash, near the steering wheel. She had been so proud of her father, who had promised to bring her to High Czenoble as soon as he could afford it.

Vincent brushed the tears from his eyes and his expression hardened. [i]'This is not the end,'[/i] he thought, [i]'they might come back to finish me. I can't let them...I still have to find Leonhart...'[/i]

And with that, Vincent crawled back to the rear seat and pushed himself out through the gap in the roof.

Without waiting for a second wave, he ran across the steam car's roof and onto the nearby footpath. Despite the chaos surrounding him, it seemed that his car had been worst hit; the damage was not widespread. Most people seemed to be reacting to the shock of what had happened.

Vincent could only think of one thing; he had to get to the train station. Central Station was not far and there were trains running out Rosengard way every ten minutes.

[center][img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9374/centralstationwy2.jpg[/img][/center]

Central Station lay before Vincent. It was as bustling and busy as it had ever been; nobody seemed to have heard or noticed the blast, which had taken place only one block away.

Several people did notice Vincent, however. It was no doubt odd to see the Assistant Commander of the Royal Police Guard walking through the station in a torn shirt, blackened pants and deep cuts on the side of his face.

Vincent knew that at this stage, it would be impossible to call for a Guard escort. The traffic was still jammed for several blocks and it was more important that the Guard officers reach the scene of the blast itself; Vincent knew he'd be able to reach Rosengard safely.

At this moment, Dame Grimalkin's hospitality was a seductive thought. He knew that as soon as she saw him, she'd have an army of staff attending to him; a warm bath, a hot cup of tea, fresh towels, anticeptic and a change of clothes.

Vincent could not shed the intense guilt he felt at this prospect. What about Sanderson, who would never see his daughter again?

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]It was all over so quickly that Gadget felt like the incident never happened. He had no idea how Mr Achard had just stumbled on him but not see him lying there. Nor had he no idea who the man coming from Macey's room was, or how he had suddenly woken up in the basement.

But he sure was glad it was over now. The headache was gone, and so was the pain from the injection. The only thing that remained was the faint glow underneath his skin. Gadget thought it was peculiar, but didn't really mind.

Macey left to get them some food, after all they had missed breakfast [I]and[/I] lunch, but Gadget heard her running into someone at the hall. He got up to get a peak from behind the door. Macey was talking to his brother, the one with the weird name that was hard to pronounce.

[B]"Is your assistant giving you trouble, Ella?"[/B] the man asked, but Macey waved his hands to deny it.

[B]"Most certainly not! Gadget has just been... overwhelmed by the accident. He has been absolutely invaluable for me ever since what happened yesterday. He is a true treasure, and a real asset in my studies."[/B]

[B]"Yes, speaking of which... I think I need your expertise on something. Could you run a few alchemical tests on this photograph I took? If you look at it, you'll find it quite interesting."[/B]

Gadget saw the man handing Macey the photograph, and she gasped audibly. [B]"But Fonty... It's Father!" [/B]

[B]"Yes, Ella, I believe so too. I took this with mother's old camera, and I think it has some magitechnological properties in it. I'm sure your tests will find out more. Will you do it, then?"[/B]

[B]"Oh, of course. I will... I mean, me and Gadget will get right onto it."[/B]

[B]"Thank you, dear sister. Just try not to damage it, it will be worth a fortune if it ever makes it into the pages of the Chronicle."[/B]

Macey's brother gave her a wink and turned on his heels. Macey returned to the room staring at the photograph flabbergasted.

[B]"What about the food?"[/B] Gadget asked whining. Then he realized he didn't only look fourteen, he started to sound like one, too. This fancy upkeep was proving to be really harmful on the long run.[/FONT]

[size=1][indent][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
After stopping for a moment, Fauntleroy decided to follow his sister back into her bedroom. Evevn though she had volunteered to investigate the mystery behind the photograph, there were still many more unanswered questions that demanded explanation.

"[b]What a day![/b]" he heard Macey utter to Gadget as walked down the hall, "[b]I doubt we'll be able to get anything done.[/b]"

As he entered the room he caught the attention of her assistant, the young boy, Gadget. They had eaten dinner together the night before, but few words were exchanged. The child spent much of his evening wolfing down everything on his plate, it was if he hadn’t eaten in weeks. In addition to his appetite, there was something about Macey’s newfound “assistant” that struck him as odd.

“[b]I hate to be so forward,[/b]” Fauntleroy said with an eyebrow raised in suspicion, “[b]But I’m very curious about where this new assistant came from.[/b]”

Macey rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed, “[b]I’ve told you, I’ve told everyone. Gadget is paramount to my work.[/b]”

“[b]It’s hard to believe you would still bother to work at all, after your experience yesterday.[/b]”

“[b]I’m a little sore, but I’ll be fine. Father would have wanted us to carry on his research.[/b]”

“[b]Nor is it easy to believe that a perfectionist such as yourself would ever agree to having an assistant. I remember you forcing Eva out of your bedroom when you were attending CHAOS, demanding that she give you complete privacy. Could so much have changed since then?[/b]”

"[b]Much has changed, Fauntleroy. More than even I'm willing to admit.[/b]"

Macey turned towards to her enormous bookshelf, filled with volumes on potionism and human anatomy. She withdrew an especially large tome from the shelf and began thumbing through it. Several beads of sweat dripped from her brow as she read.

“[b]I know you don’t have the knack for alchemy that I do, so I can’t expect you to understand. You see, my research is the driving force in my life,[/b]” she locked eyes with her brother as she spoke, “[b]Even when I was a little girl I have always known that this is my first love.[/b]”

“[b]I suppose that’s true. Do you recall when you would sit on father’s lap, playing with that stethoscope Aunt Harriet had given you?[/b]”

“[b]It seems like a lifetime ago, but yes,[/b]“ Macey replied drly. Her cold eyes remained intensely focused on her sibling, “[b]But after so many years of focus, such devices seem unnecessary…[/b]”

“[b]What?[/b]”

“[b]Oh, it’s just a slip of the tongue, brother. Forgive me, for my thoughts are still scattered after yesterday.[/b]”

Macey placed her book back on the shelf, and wiped her forehead with a handkerchief. Suddenly she reached for her chest as she collapsed to the floor in pain. Gadget rushed to the girl’s aid, lifting her head up gently as she drifted in and out of consciousness. Fauntleroy called out for a servant immediately, and crouched down on the ground beside her.

“[b]Macey Ellen! Are you alright?![/b]”[/size][/indent]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey fluttered helplessly between awareness and blissful darkness. She was dimly aware of her brother shouting her name like she'd gone deaf, and Gadget stroking her hand as if it would calm her. The pain in her chest wouldn't go away, but just when she thought the pain would send her spiraling down into oblivion, she felt a cool rag pressed to her forehead. Gadget had dipped it in water, and wrung it out, right over the carpet, but Macey was touched and didn't mind. Instead, she willed her eyes open and instantly shut them again with a moan.

The lights in the room were painfully bright, and Macey managed to lift a hand to cover her face. Fauntleroy immediately went over to the two lamps over her table and extinguished both. He set down his camera on her desk. One of the servants had appeared with a pot of very strong tea, and busied herself pouring and mixing. Macey, with Gadget's aid, managed to sit halfway up.[/i]

"I'll look at it as soon as I'm on my feet again."

"You'll do no such thing Ella. Rest is what you need right now. Not another project. Besides that, Lady Bavaria should be here soon and you'll be expected to do a grip and grin with her as well."

[i]Macey flopped back against her pillows listlessly, her hands dithering as if she'd lost all hope.[/i]

"Heaven's forbid. Can't I just fake a coma or possibly drop dead?"

"Don't joke about things like that please!"

[i]Gadget gripped her hand so tightly, Macey nearly yelped, and she gave him a reassuring smile. Seeing that she was in fact, simply jesting calmed him immeasurably, and her elder brother tinkered with the camera's shutter restlessly. Then he stood up, as if he'd made a decision, and nodded at the odd couple.[/i]

"I have a few things to take care of before Lady Bavaria's arrival. But I'll send Alecia up as soon as she's here."

"Thank you Fonty. And I will study that camera, rest assured."

"I never had any doubt you would. Trying to keep you away from work is harder than getting a politician to be honest."

[i]He strode off with the air of a man on a mission, while Macey sipped her tea cautiously, not trusting the strength of her arms entirely. Gadget busied himself with the consumption of the tea cakes the servant had also remembered to bring, and the servant in question had already departed. Macey set down her cup on its saucer and closed her eyes for just a moment. This morning she'd used her ability on Mr. Deacon without even thinking. That kind of lapse was proving quit dangerous. Macey mentally reprimanded herself for using it without preparing first, but on the other hand, she had been desperate to contain the situation. Perhaps it'd work out for the best.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

'I'm here to ask further questions,' said Vincent. The security officer dilligently examined his I.D., before allowing him to enter the grounds of Rosengard. [i]'Must be new,'[/i] thought Vincent as he walked up the cobblestone driveway.

The front door was unlocked and Vincent pushed it open. He half expected to see Dame Grimalkin standing in the foyer, a fresh towel over her arm and a silver tray in her hand. She was nowhere to be found.

Vincent wandered through the foyer. He was feeling more collected now, even though he'd lost his jacket and his shirt was torn along his chest. His face was still sore, but the pain had dulled. As he wandered, he examined the paintings on the wall.

Rosengard was famous across Czenovia for its collection of art. The largest piece of art in the foyer sat directly above the Grand Staircase. It was a massive painting of Mount Grail, produced just after the end of the Mine War. The Almagests had been the chief beneficiaries of the Mine War; this single event was what bound the family together. It was no coincidence that this priceless painting occupied the most prominent position within Rosegard. It was like a constant reminder of the family's heritage.

'Oh, Vincent!'

Vincent spun around and saw a rather flushed Dame Grimalkin enter the foyer, with two severants in tow. Much to his surprise, Vincent noticed Gadget standing behind the servants, his arms full of silverware.

As if she knew exactly what he was thinking, Dame Grimalkin quickly interjected. 'Oh, the boy eats so much, he might as well help with the washing up! All of my servants are busy in preparation of Lady Bavaria's arrival tonight.'

Vincent nodded. He barely knew Lady Bavaria. In fact, he had had more to do with Leonhart over recent years; Lady Bavaria was often absent from Rosengard. She seemed to travel across the New Globe regularly, although much of this was related to her work. She was undoubtedly the most worldly of the Almagests, but she was also the most uncompromising. Vincent was hoping he would be able to leave before her arrival, although he did not think much of his luck.

Dame Grimalkin gasped again. 'Oh! I've been so busy that I didn't even realize!' She rushed over to Vincent and looked him up and down. 'What happened to you?!'

Vincent decided not to fill her in immediately. She was busy enough and he didn't want to panic her.

'Oh, it is a long story, my lady. Please, continue about your business - do not worry about me.'

Dame Grimalkin paused. A subtle grin spread over her face. 'No, this won't do. You are hurt and you require attention. Perhaps Gadget can help you; he is, after all, a laboratory assistant. I'm sure he can use his skills to treat your wounds. We'll be faster clearing the dishes on our own, anyway.'

As she said this, she cast a suspicious look at Gadget. From what little he knew, Vincent thought she'd never have gotten away with that if Macey were in earshot.

And with that, Dame Grimalkin swept off towards the kitchen. The taller of the two servants took the silverware from Gadget, leaving him standing in the middle of the foyer alone.

Vincent felt slightly awkward, which was rare for him. Despite his intense curiosity about Gadget, he had been unable to speak with him in any detail. Now was his chance to discuss the explosion, although, he knew he'd need to ease into the subject; no doubt, Gadget would not open up immediately.

Gadget stood with his hands clasped together, as though he did not know what to do with them. He smiled warmly at Vincent and gestured to the stairs. 'Follow me?'

Vincent did as he was told.

The pair walked along the East Hall towards the Guest Wing. At the other end were several guest rooms, each with their own ensuite.

Vincent walked into his usual room - it was the farthest away from the main hallway. The room was unofficially his, being that he always slept there whenever he stayed at Rosengard.

He was still holding a batch of files from the steam car. He carefully sat them on the bed and walked into the ensuite. One side of the ensuite contained a large ornate bath, with several marble steps leading to its edge. Vincent sat on the second step and sighed deeply; finally, he could relax for a moment.

Gadget entered the room soon after. He had a small bottle of ointment in one hand and a white cloth in the other.

'Oh, it's okay,' said Vincent, 'I think Dame Grimalkin was just giving you a hard time. You don't have to tend to my wounds.'

Gadget gave the bottle to Vincent. 'Are you sure, sir?'

'Of course. And please, don't call me sir. My name is Vincent.'

Gadget nodded. He handed the cloth to Vincent and perched himself against the basin.

Vincent placed the bottle and cloth next to him and pulled his shirt off. He winced. The glass had apparently grazed his chest and stomach as well.

'What really happened to you?' asked Gadget. He seemed genuinely interested.

'There was an explosion in the city,' said Vincent slowly. 'My car was attacked. My driver, Sanderson...he...'

Vincent couldn't say the words. He smiled awkwardly and wet the cloth with ointment. He carefully dabbed at the side of his face. Once it was clean, he tried to get at the grazes and cuts on his stomach and side.

'Agh, damn it,' Vincent winced again. His body was sore and he was becoming frustrated; images of Sanderson's lifeless body floated in and out of his mind.

'Here,' said Gadget, 'let me do it. You're in too much pain.'

Gadget took the cloth from Vincent. He wet it again and leant over him. Vincent felt the cool cloth on his waist.

While Gadget concentrated on the wounds, Vincent studied his face. Up close, he seemed far older. He had a face that had obviously seen much, despite his young age. As Gadget worked, a lock of hair fell down over his eyes. He hooked it back behind his ear. This made Vincent smile.

Gadget glanced up at Vincent a few times.

'It is amazing that you're still alive,' he said finally. 'You are the luckiest person I've ever met.'

'I don't know,' said Vincent. 'They attacked me once and I was lucky, but will I be lucky again? I'm sure it's not over.'

Gadget nodded. 'Still,' he said, 'you are very brave.'

Vincent smiled. 'It's not that I'm brave, it's just that I have seen many horrible things as a soldier. Part of you becomes accustomed to it.'

Gadget moved the cloth up to Vincent's chest. He dabbed at the deeper cuts along Vincent's collar bone and shoulder.

'Does that mean you are never afraid?'

Vincent shook his head slowly. 'Soldiers are always afraid,' said Vincent. 'That is natural. You just have to know how to ignore your fear sometimes.'

'I wish I could do that,' said Gadget. 'I sometimes feel like I'm afraid of everything!'

Gadget smiled. 'All done, Vincent.'

'I appreciate it,' said Vincent.

For a moment, Gadget stood in the ensuite, apparently unsure of what to say. He didn't leave - his feet didn't seem to want to carry him out the door.

'Vincent...'

'Yes?'

'Can we talk again sometime?'

Vincent took the cloth from Gadget's hand. 'Of course. Whenever you want.'

'Thank you,' said Gadget. 'I don't know many people in this place. Macey has been so good to me, but I still feel like an outsider sometimes.'

'I understand,' said Vincent. 'I am not from here either, actually.'

A smile crept across Gadget's face. 'I will come back later to see how you are feeling, then?'

'Sure,' said Vincent. 'I'd like that.'

And with that, Gadget left the room.

Vincent stood up and looked in the mirror. He felt strange; his heart was racing all of a sudden. He kept telling himself that the conversation had been important - now Gadget would trust him enough to discuss the explosion in New Czenoble.

Sub-consciously, however, Vincent knew that he had genuinely enjoyed Gadget's company. The image in his dream was now real and more wonderfully vivid than ever. He still did not know what this meant, but for now, he didn't care.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
It had been a long day for Alecia and it was with great relief that she finally left work and joined Alexander who was waiting patiently for her at the front doors to the center. It had been hard to say nothing as other colleagues either complimented her on her apparent promotion while others were clearly envious and bitter. Alecia could only wonder what their reaction would be when they found out the true reason for it. By the time she got done getting started on taking over for Dr. Victor Rawlings, she was utterly exhausted.

She still had more than enough energy to give Alexander a warm smile when he greeted her and she took his arm, heading towards the nearest train station. "[B]Take me home Alexander,[/B]" she whispered. "[B]If I hear one more false pleasantry in regards to my promotion or about Grandfather's death. I'll end up smashing one of my potions over their head.[/B]"

Alexander chuckled and reached over and squeezed her arm reassuringly. "[B]As much as I'd love to, wouldn't it be a better idea to go to Rosengard first like we discussed at lunch?[/B]"

"[B]I know, I know.[/B]" Alecia sighed as they continued down the street and then finally entered the station, getting on the train that was waiting. Like always the cars were near capacity as many people were returning home after a long day at work.

Any other time Alecia would have spent the time chatting with Alexander about her day at work or his, but this time, once they sat down she simply leaned into him once he put his arm around her shoulders. With a tiny sigh she closed her eyes only to be startled by Alexander gently shaking her shoulder. With a start she opened her eyes only to realize that she had fallen asleep and that they were at their stop near their home.

Alexander helped her get up as Alecia was still a bit sleepy, but once they were out of the train and walking up the street towards Rosengard, the beginning of a cool nights breeze helped her to wake up completely. They came to the point were one direction went to their home, the other to Rosengard.

"[B]Perhaps it would be best if we do go home, you've never fallen asleep on the trip home before.[/B]"

Alecia stifled a yawn. "[B]True, but for some reason, that short little nap made me feel better.[/B]" She smiled up at him. "[B]Lets at least stop by and see if there is any news. If I'm still tired, we can come home after that.[/B]"

Decided the two of them headed up the street and then through the gates into Rosengard. They were almost to the main doors when Fauntleroy came strolling out to meet them.

"[B]Alecia, just the person I was looking for.[/B]" He stopped and gave her an odd look as he noticed that she was wearing a different uniform. "[B]And here I thought you still had a while to go before you were done with your residency.[/B]"

Alecia started to explain and then changed her mind, remembering that Fauntleroy worked for the paper and that she had been instructed to keep things quiet for the moment.

"[B]Did you need something Uncle?[/B]" She sidestepped the question in regards to her residency. But she knew she had not fooled him by the look in his eyes, but for whatever reason he dropped it.

"[B]Macey is not feeling well, could you go and take a look at her?[/B]"

"[B]Of course, I take it she's in her room?[/B]" She waited for him to nod before turning to Alexander. "[B]Why don't you wait for me with the others? As soon as I'm done I'll come and join you.[/B]"

"[B]Of course.[/B]" Alexander said before heading towards the main doors with Fauntleroy.

Once the two were gone, Alecia turned and headed for another door off to the left a bit, one that would take her to where Macey's room would be. It didn't take her long to find the stairs that led up to where her room was. Alecia was almost there when she ran into someone else heading for Macey's room, the boy who had been there the other night. The one that Macey had referred to as her assistant. But Alecia didn't remember his name.

"[B]Are you Alecia?[/B]" He asked her hesitantly and then continued when she nodded. "[B]Fonty said he'd send you up.[/B]" He opened the door to Macey's room for her and then closed it once both of them were inside.

"[B]And you are?[/B]" Alecia inquired as she moved to check on Macey who was starting to stir from the noise they had made upon entering the room.

"[B]I'm Gadget.[/B]"

Alecia was wondering what it was about Gadget that seemed off until Macey caught her attention, thanking her for coming. She put Gadget out of mind and turned instead to checking Macey over. Asking her a number of questions as she did so. It was clear that she was exhausted, but at the same time it was also clear that she had been exposed to something. Something that considering her job, did not surprise Alecia, she had treated others from the labs for similar symptoms.

"[B]I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you've overworked yourself.[/B]" Alecia said, earning a tired chuckle from Macey, "[B]However it's also clear that you've got some sort of toxicity going on here. I won't bore you with the details just as I won't need to ask you to allow some tests if you'll simply tell me what chemicals you've been working with lately.[/B]"

She could see the hesitation in Macey's eyes and she understood it, after all, it was likely that most of her research was top secret. "[B]You don't need to tell me what you were doing and the knowledge of just what chemicals you were working with would of course remain confidential.[/B]" She assured her.

"[B]You see, I'd like to recommend something to mix in your regular tea that would help to neutralize the toxicity, but to do that I need to know exactly what you've been working with along with an approximate amount so I'll know the level of exposure as well.[/B]"

Macey looked over at Gadget for a moment and then back at Alecia before rattling off a long list of chemicals along with some numbers, something that Alecia couldn't help but notice seemed to go over Gadget's head a bit as he looked confused. When she was done, Alecia reached into her pocket, pulled out a small notepad and pencil and began to write down the necessary compounds as well as the dosage, frequency and potential side effects. Which in this case, initially, would cause drowsiness.

"[B]I'm going to go and give this to the staff so someone can run to the closest shop and have this made up for you. The first time or two it's likely to make you sleepy, but after that it won't have that effect.[/B]" She smiled as she reached over and gently grasped Macey's shoulder.

"[B]Just take it until it's gone and let me know if you have any trouble alright?[/B]"

"[B]Thank you dear.[/B]" Macey said as she closed her eyes.

Alecia turned to Gadget, bade him farewell and then left, heading to find one of the servants responsible for running the errands of this nature. As she walked along the hallways of Rosengard, she couldn't help but think about Gadget. There was something about him that was off though without being able to exam him she couldn't be certain. But if he really was Macey's assistant, then it was likely that he had been exposed to the same chemicals that Macey had. With a shake of her head Alecia put it out of mind.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]"Gadget, were you here the whole afternoon?"

"No Ella, Dame Grimalkin had me washing dishes. And while I was doing it I met Mr. Vincent."

"...washing...dishes."

[i]For a moment the only sound was Macey's teeth grinding. She gripped her teacup so hard Gadget flinched, sure it would snap at any second. Instead, the worthy woman calmed herself and smoothed over her features serenely. She turned to Gadget with an utterly placid expression and kept her tone perfectly even.[/i]

"Is that so Gadget? Well I'll look into that then. I can't have you being called off for scullery duty every time that cow gets lazy."

"It wasn't so bad...I got to meet Mr. Vincent after all. He was so nice to me."

"He always was a nice man."

[i]Macey contemplated Gadget's words. From the way he sounded, the boy was besotted with Vincent. And it only served to confirm something that had been bothering Macey for months now. It would explain so many things, and while it was painful for her to admit, it would be a definite puzzle piece to repair her scattered psyche. After all, it would mean that the fault didn't rest entirely with Macey, and that it wasn't her own shortcomings. Gadget sat down next to Macey with a concerned expression on his face.[/i]

"Ella?"

"He's my ex husband Gadget. Not that anybody would've told you, but it's perfectly alright. I think making friends of him would be good for you."

[i]Gadget blushed horribly, and Macey gave him a gentle nudge while laughing softly. He managed to give her a quavering smile, and she looked at the clock. Her eyebrows raised momentarily, and she leapt up, headed for her dressing area. Then, as if on a whim, she turned and crooked a finger at Gadget.[/i]

"Come on, I'll teach you how to assist a woman in getting dressed properly."

[i]At first, it seemed as though he'd be useless. The many bows and ties of the noble woman's gown perplexing, when suddenly it all came clear. Macey, standing in her underdress, gave him the right amounts of patience and direction, and he managed to tie on her elaborate skirt with remarkably nimble fingers. The corset proved to be even easier for him to master, once he'd come to the understanding that he was supposed to tighten the strings every time he got the chance. Eventually he'd worked the plum colored material perfectly, covering her body like a glove and she gave him a grand smile.[/i]

"Perfect work. You'll be an expert in no time at all."

[i]He blushed again, only this time just slightly, and a servant tapped on the door. Gadget flew to answer it and received a long package addressed to him of all people. Macey sat at her vanity table, adjusting her jewelry while Gadget cut the cords sealing it with unrestrained delight.[/i]

"Well you'd need something to wear besides someone else's castoffs."

"Oh thank you!"

[i]She smiled as he revealed a handsome suit with an even more elaborate evening coat, suitable for any young gentleman. Eventually he figured out the garments for himself, and the two made their way downstairs where they'd have to face Lady Bavaria and other monstrosities alike soon enough.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
Jack spit onto the freshly manicured lawn of Rosengard. He had returned from his ship to the estate to await his sister's arrival. However, he refused to enter, choosing to poke around outside in the gardens rather than go back in and expose himself to anymore going on in the house. He coughed, feeling that sickening feeling in the back of his throat again. Earlier he had coughed up blood, which was a tell tale sign that whatever that woman did to him, he wasn't going to forget it soon.

Jack had felt a strange feeling walking through the estate with his gun. It was as if the guards, servants, and pretty much anyone he passed knew that he had it, and could see the nervousness that overtook him. He wisely chose to wear his aviator sunglasses to shield his eyes from the people around him, not wanting anyone to see the awful truth. Jack was scared. Not of Macey though, no, he had seen his share of witches in his travels. He was scared because he didn't know what was going on, or even better, what was yet to come. It wasn't a crippling fear, no. It was more of a 6th sense, a feeling he couldn't shake.

He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a cigar and lighter. He produced a lighter from another pocket and placed the cigar firmly between his lips. He lit the lighter, and as he was bringing it up, he felt another cough spell coming on. He choked a little and began coughing hard, spitting the cigar out in the process. As his spell cleared, he looked around for the cigar. To his luck, the cigar had landed firmly in an ant bed, and the insects were already swarming it. [I]Dammit[/I], he thought as he searched for another cigar, he had none. Jack heard footsteps coming from behind him and turned to find himself face to face with Vincent Achard, who was holding up a case full of cigars for him.

[B] "I've never enjoyed smoking alone."[/B] he said, as Jack took his offering and lit it. He lit Vincent's as well.

[B] "Yeah, well you do it long enough, you get used to it."[/B] replied Jack.
[B]
"I suppose I can't argue with that. I heard you out here a moment ago. Are you sure that's good for you?"[/B]

[B] "Yeah, if anything it'll stop the damned coughing."[/B]

Vincent stood slightly taller than Jack, although comparably he was less muscular. The two stood smoking for a moment, not saying much. Jack wasn't sure what to say honestly, as he knew exactly who Vincent was and by all means he could be arrested for his adventure the day before. The one involving the Chimaera and the romp across rooftops.

[B] "You don't speak much Mr. Deacon. I hope our professions have nothing to do with it."[/B] spoke Vincent.

[I]Bloody hell,[/I] Jack thought to himself, [I]what? You can read minds now? Is anyone in the bloody family normal?[/I] [B]"Er, right. How are you related?"[/B]

[B] "I'm not. Well, not anymore. I was once married to Macey Ellen Alma-"[/B]

Jack began coughing again before Vincent could finish, the name had surprised him so much that he lost control for a second. Back during Jack's stint in the RPG, this type of situation was called a charlie foxtrot, and nothing good could ever come of those.

"Are you sure you're alright sir? Maybe I should have the house doctor look at you." Vincent said, his voice sincere.

[B] "No (cough), I'm fine. Really (cough, cough). No worries here."[/B]

Vincent nodded slightly and took another puff of his cigar. Jack fixed himself up and the two of them continued with their small talk.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1][indent][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]

The sun hung low over Mount Grail when a lone horse-drawn carriage approached the Rosengard estate. Armed guards surrounded the complex, each watching the vehicle carefully as it made its’ slow climb up the hill towards to the front gates. Few would suspect the simple carriage contained the most famous widow in Czenovia, nor that she would change the Almagest family forever.

Lady Bavaria, second and current wife to Leonhart Almagest, looked out the window of the carriage, clearly bored. It had taken many long hours for the woman to reach High Czenoble from the Anovan capitol, and even on her private airship she found herself showered with unwanted sympathy and condolences once the news broke. She assumed that Rosengard would be no different, and judging from the flower arrangements strung along the road that certainly seemed to be the case.

At her side was her father, the Dynast King’s trusted advisor Agron Deacon. The accident at Prometheo Labs had resulted in hours of private meetings and discussions for the Dynast King, but Agron had managed to pull himself away from the Mirror Palace long enough to be with his daughter.

“[b]How is King Prosperous, father?[/b]” Barvaria asked as she withdrew a compact mirror from her handbag, fixated on her own image as she spoke, “[b]Has his health improved since I was last in Czenovia?[/b]”

Agron shook his head, “[b]He is not well, I’m afraid. The Tribunal has continued to pressure Mideus to select an appropriate heir while he is still able. However, he insists that he is the only one who can lead Czenovia out of its current crises.[/b]”

“[b]And what will happen if an heir is not chosen before his death?[/b]”

The old man paused before letting out a sly grin.

“[b]Anarchy.[/b]”

The carriage made its’ way through the gates of Rosengard, stopping at the entrance of the manor. A small army of servants approached the coach, each bowing gracefully as Lady Bavaria stepped out, Lady Bavaria’s sense of fashion seemed unaffected by her recent tragedy; rather than a traditional black gown she had selected a revealing red ensemble for the evening, complete with stiletto heels and a matching hat.

Dame Grimalkin, Henry and Daedalus' wife Harriet watched from the Great Hall as Lady Bavaria and her father entered the building.

“[b]I only hope we’ve done enough to please the witch,[/b]” Henry whispered as a pair of servants rushed by with Lady Bavaria’s luggage.

“[b]Watch your tongue, Henry,[/b]” Dame Grimalkin snapped, “[b]With the master gone this entire estate now belongs to that… [I]aristocrat[/I]. It would do us all some good if we showed her a warm welcome.[/b]”

"[b]There is nothing to worry about, you've done a grand job caring for Rosengard and should be proud.[/b]" Harriet said warmly. Given her illness, she had spent much of her day resting, but felt it neccessary to greet the Deacons, "[b]I can't wait to hear of her travels throughout the New Globe.[/b]"

Lady Bavaria’s entourage walked across the Great Hall, stopping briefly to admire the décor, “[b]I must say, Anna, you’ve done an amazing thing with Rosengard. Only you could transform one of the most beautiful homes in the New Globe into a mausoleum.[/b]”

Gritting her teeth, Dame Grimalkin bowed respectfully, “[b]Welcome to Rosengard, Lord Deacon and Lady Almagest. Your quarters are as you left them during your last visit. Please allow me the pleasure to assist you with anything, should you request it.[/b]”

“[b]There will be no need,[/b]” she replied as she waved her hand dismissively, “[b]I will only be here briefly today. My father and I have arranged dinner with the Dynasts tonight.[/b]”

"[b]Oh how lovely![/b]" Harriet said, "[b]The Mirror Palace is simply beautiful during this time of year.[/b]"

"[b]That it is, old friend,[/b]" Bavaria replied as she embraced Harriet tightly, "[b]How is your health keeping, dear?[/b]"

"[b]Some days are better than others, but it is nothing compared to the pain you must be going through...[/b]"

“[b]We’ve only come to inspect the grounds,[/b]” Agron added, [b]My daughter will be organizing the arrangements for Leonhart’s funeral, and there was some question as to whether they were presentable given the current inhabitants.[/b]”

Henry glared, "[b]With all due respect, Lord Deacon, I assure you that Rosengard is as in as fine a condition as it was when Lord Celcius first constructed it.[/b]"

"[b]Please, boy. Allow one with a trained eye to make the final judgement,[/b] he paused, eyeing Henry curiously, "[b]Who did you saw you were again?[/b]"

"[b]I apologize for the child's remarks, sir. He meant no disrespect,[/b]" Anna pleaded, “[b]If I may then, I‘d like to return to the kitchen and finish preparations for tonight’s meal.[/b]”

“[b]Be off then, Anna,[/b]” Lady Bavaria said coldly, “[b]I have much that I would like to catch up on with Harriet, and I have such very little time to do so.[/b]”[/size][/indent]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/center]
Alexander didn't really make much of an effort to talk to Fauntleroy, he was preoccupied with thoughts of doing something he didn't have the authority to do. And it seemed that Fauntleroy was equally distracted as he took off only after offering a bit of a nod in Alexander's direction. He was debating what to do while he waited for Alecia to finish seeing to Macey when he came upon an area showing the gardens to Rosengard. Two people were out there talking and smoking, one he recognized more by name than by actual acquaintance. Vincent Achard, Assistant Commander of the Guard, the one who answered directly to Gaul Rosier.

Though the second person was not someone Alexander really knew, he hesitated only for a moment before he finally made for one of the doors leading out to talk to Achard. His curiosity in regards to the surroundings involving the disappearance of Dr. Victor Rawlings urging him on. Or perhaps it was better to say that it was his concern for Alecia that prompted him more than anything. The voices came to a silence as he approached and the two turned to face the new comer.

"[B]I'm sorry to trouble you sir,[/B]" Alexander came to attention, "[B]But I was wondering if I could speak to you when you have a moment?[/B]"

Vincent turned to look at Jack who merely shrugged. "[B]Go ahead.[/B]" He nodded and turned to leave. "[B]Thanks again for the cigar.[/B]" And then a moment later he was gone.

"[B]I'm sorry sir, this isn't official business.[/B]" Alexander started to apologize.

"[B]No need to worry about it...[/B]" Vincent paused, "[B]Now, who are you again? I recall seeing you at the party a few days ago but I don't believe we've actually met.[/B]"

"[B]I'm Alexander sir, Alecia Almagest is my wife.[/B]"

"[B]Ah! Of course![/B]" Vincent smiled. "[B]I remember reading about that a short while ago. Congratulations.[/B]" He offered Alexander one of the cigars in his case.

"[B]Thank you sir, but I actually don't smoke.[/B]" Alexander said apologetically, not bothering to explain that when he was growing up, a luxury like a cigar was something that happened only occasionally for his father on special events. Let alone one as expensive as the brand Vincent had on him.

Vincent just chuckled. "[B]It's a nasty habit anyway.[/B]" He closed the case and tucked it back into one of his many pockets. "[B]Now, what did you want to talk about Alexander?[/B]"

He shifted a bit uncomfortably at the idea of going over his superior's head to pry into something that really wasn't his business and then pressed forward. "[B]It's about the missing Doctors and Potionists sir, in particular, Dr. Victor Rawlings. My wife, Alecia is a potionist and she was promoted today to take his place at the Medical Center where she works.[/B]"

"[B]I see, and you were hoping I could shed some light on this? To assure yourself that your wife is in no danger?[/B]" Vincent put forward a guess and then gave a half smile when Alexander's expression gave it away.

"[B]Well, it's more than that sir,[/B]" Alexander looked down a bit. "[B]I know it's not my place, but I would like to look into Dr. Victor Rawlings's disappearance.[/b]" He looked back up. "[b]I may not have experience as a detective yet, but I have been trained sir.[/B]"

Vincent gave him an odd look, making Alexander wonder if he should have kept his mouth shut. After all Gaul Rosier was not one to take kindly to people doing things out of standard procedure and talking to Vincent instead of his superior was definitely a breach of protocol. He was starting to regret even speaking when Vincent finally responded.

"[B]Actually, with the transfer of so many of the Guard to New Czenoble, we're going to be short handed in many departments, so I don't see why you couldn't take up that task for now. I'll be sure to send a note to your superior to that effect tomorrow morning.[/B]"

"[B]Thank you sir![/B]"

"[B]On one condition.[/B]" Vincent said.

"[B]Sir?[/B]"

"[B]Don't call me sir, Vincent will do.[/B]"

"[B]Of course sir... I mean Vincent[/B]." Alexander stammered.

At that moment a commotion could be heard and as one both of them turned to look at the house. Alexander was wondering what it could be when Vincent spoke.

"[B]It seems that[I] she[/I] has arrived. If you'll excuse me I need to go.[/B]" He nodded and then turned and left the gardens.

Alexander followed along, wondering if Alecia had finally finished. Just as he wondered who [I]she[/I] was, until he realized that it was likely that Leonhart's second wife had arrived.[I] I need to find Alecia and take her home[/I], he thought. Knowing that the evening was likely to be strained, even he knew that many of the members of the Almagest family did not care for Lady Bavaria. In his opinion, Alecia didn't need to deal with the petty bickering that was bound to ensue.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Vincent finished his cigar and wandered around the gardens, towards Rosengard's east entrance. His room was directly above this, which was convenient.

Although Vincent had left a family behind in Anova, Rosengard felt as close as possible to a real home. When one entered the Great Hall, warmth and sweet scents filled the air; it was like a combination of perfume and wonderful cooking. Visitors and residents alike could not help but feel at ease within the walls of Rosengard. Although Vincent knew that some visitors felt intimidated by the sheer size and grandeur of the building.

Just as Vincent approached the east entrance, Dame Grimalkin came rushing around the corner, a throng of servants in her wake.

'Make sure you have her favorite sheets and pillows ready, for heaven's sake!' she cried. The servant at the rear of the group looked somewhat puzzled and quickly dashed off into the building. Apparently he'd forgotten this little detail.

'Vincent!'

Vincent was about to open the door as Dame Grimalkin swept up behind him. 'I'm sorry to be in such a rush, but I wanted to let you know that your clothes have been delivered by Audrey.'

'She's arrived?'

'Yes,' Dame Grimalkin nodded, her cheeks flushed from running around the halls all day. 'She has brought several outfits for you as well as your papers. Your office has also sent a new steam car, which is parked in the garage. I believe Audrey is in one of the guest quarters near you, if you wish to see her.'

'Thank you, my lady,' said Vincent. 'Now, please, stop fussing over me! You are going to make yourself sick with stress. I am fine.'

A slight hint of a smile came across Dame Grimalkin's face, as she gave a shallow bow and rushed off towards the south entrance. Even though Lady Bavaria had arrived, there was [i]still[/i] apparently much to do.

Vincent closed the door to his quarters. He occupied one of the larger guest quarters in Rosengard, but these rooms were still far smaller than the actual resident bedrooms. Vincent had used this particular room ever since his divorce from Macey.

The room had become his de facto bedroom at Rosengard, which is why it was punctuated by various black and white photos of his parents and his old family home in Anova.

He stood at the largest window in the room, which looked out over the eastern side of the estate. Beyond, he could see the elaborate gardens and the rolling hills of the High Czenoble countryside. It was now late afternoon and the sun was settling lazily on the horizon.

A large, leather suitcase sat on the bed. Vincent clicked it open. It contained several fine shirts, trousers and even a change of shoes.

Vincent slipped his borrowed shirt and trousers off and hung them neatly over the back of a nearby chair. He sorted through the suitcase and pulled on a fresh shirt and trousers of his own. The shirt was black, with a high collar and a deep v-neck. He attached a pair of fine silver cuff links, which had been a gift from his mother.

The trousers were also black, with a slight bootleg cut. Underneath, he wore a pair of sharp-toed leather boots. It wasn't necessary to wear gloves or a jacket presently, being that Vincent was considered family. If he'd been a guest (or if he'd been walking in the street), it would be impossible for him to avoid wearing them.

Vincent pushed the suitcase under the bed. Then, with a sigh, he lay down, with his arms behind his head.

As he stared at the ceiling, he heard a quiet knock at his door. He sat up and adjusted his cuff links. Knowing his luck, Lady Bavaria had likely decided to make an impromptu visit.

'Come in,' called Vincent.

The door swung open slowly and a figure entered the room. The door clicked shut behind him.

It took Vincent a moment to work out who the visitor was.

'Good evening, I hope I am not disturbing you. But you [i]did[/i] say I could come back to check on you...'

It was Gadget. Although he suddenly looked very different to what Vincent remembered from earlier in the day.

[center][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/almagest-gadgetnew.png[/img][/center]

'Miss Macey helped me change. She didn't want Lady Bavaria to have an excuse to question me, just in case.'

Vincent realized his mouth had been agape, as Gadget was grinning. He collected himself and stood up.

'You made me speechless for a moment!' exclaimed Vincent with a smile. 'I didn't recognize you. Macey certainly does know how to give a makeover.'

Gadget looked several years older. In fact, he wore his new outfit with such confidence and composure that Vincent couldn't imagine Lady Bavaria questioning him.

Gadget gestured towards the bed with a gloved hand. 'May I?'

'Of course,' said Vincent.

'I wanted to tell you something,' said Gadget, as he sat on the edge of the bed. He rubbed his brow as he spoke.

'It's about my name. It's a nickname, as you would know. And I [i]do[/i] usually prefer that people use it, but...'

Vincent sat on the chair opposite the bed and clasped his hands together. 'But?'

'Well, my [i]real[/i] name is Gerrault. Gerrault Knotting. Few people in this house know that. I was worried that if they knew, my secret would be given away. I wanted to tell you, since you've been so honest with me. I feel I can trust you.'

'I see,' Vincent rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'You shouldn't worry, young man. Macey cares for you and she will not let you come to harm. Even if Lady Bavaria questions your presence, I know that Macey would rather die than have you kicked out of Rosengard. You do have some powerful allies here.'

Gadget smiled slightly. 'Thanks. I do owe much to Macey...'

'So,' Vincent said as he stood up, 'you came to check on me, huh?'

Gadget's face reddened slightly. 'Yeah. How are you feeling?'

'Oh, better I suppose,' said Vincent. 'It's good to be back in my old clothes, anyway. But I must admit, I don't like the thought of coming across Lady Bavaria tonight. I'm sure she'll be at dinner. I wonder how many people will make excuses not to be there!'

Gadget laughed, 'She must be awful. Even Macey seems on edge, which I never thought I'd see.'

'She's very demanding, let's put it that way. Anyway, I don't know what I shall do before dinner.'

Vincent pulled his suitcase out again and produced a thick file. 'I should look over some of these approvals, probably. I haven't been into the office today.'

Gadget put his hand on Vincent's, but quickly withdrew it. 'Uhm, don't you think you've been through enough today? You were attacked, after all. I think you should enjoy yourself and not worry about work.'

'Oh?'

'Yes,' Gadget nodded. 'Perhaps you would like to go for a walk? I have much to tell you. And that way, we can avoid Lady Bavaria a little longer.'

Vincent smiled. 'I suppose so. Actually, there is something serious we need to discuss. I know, it's still work, but it would be a major help to the investigations.'

Gadget stood up and gestured towards the door. 'Well, okay. Walking and talking about work is better than sitting here alone and checking off papers! I will meet you at the east entrance in a few minutes, then?'

'It's a date,' said Vincent.

Gadget nodded and promptly left the room.

'So much energy,' said Vincent to himself. He could hardly believe that Gadget was able to maintain such a positive outlook, despite his experiences. At the very least, Vincent hoped that Gadget would have some useful information about the incident in New Czenoble. If he was ever going to find out what Gadget knew, tonight would be the night.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
When Catherine had first learned of the incident between Lector Moebius and the children, she wasn?t quite sure why she had sent off a message to Daedalus before going to see about the matter herself. It was more of an instinct really, one from meeting Moebius the other day, the impression she had gotten that he was more concerned with the prestige the position offered instead of a genuine concern about the education of the children who attended CHAOS. It was a feeling that had been correct when she had come upon him as he attempted to discipline the children.

It had not been easy to not lose her temper with the Head Master for behaving more like an immature child than either Victoria or Harrison. Even if they had been rude, they were correct, such concerns should have been brought up with either her or their parents instead of with the children in front of everyone else at the school. He had no business prying into their affairs like that or to make such silly assumptions as to their behavior. It had been with great relief that she had been able to simply let Daedalus handle the matter.

But now as she got off the train stop near Rosengard and made her way up the street, she couldn?t help but feel just a tiny bit tired. It had been hard enough dealing with all the condolences sent her way over Leonhart, the last thing she needed was to deal with a pompous fool like Lector Moebius. Not that she would shirk that duty though, she had been teaching for a very long time and she wasn?t about to stand idly by and allow them to be guided by such a fool. She would keep a close eye on him from now on, even more so than she had planned.

Upon arriving at Rosengard, it became clear that someone was visiting with the small carriage out front. She entered the estate and headed down the hallway to find out, but before she could wonder just who it was, though she imagined it was Lady Bavaria, Fauntleroy came sailing along the hallway, a small look of irritation on his face.

?[B]Aunt Catherine.[/B]? He said politely even as he moved to simply go around her.

?[B]Not so fast young man,[/B]? She moved ever so slightly, causing him to stop by virtue of being in his way. ?[B]Someone is here and seeing how quickly you?re taking off I?m of the belief that it?s likely that Lady Bavaria has finally arrived.[/B]? A fact that was confirmed by Fauntleroy?s look of distaste that he quickly hid.

?[B]Why don?t you go and find out?[/B]? Fonty said as he gave her a bit of an impish grin. ?[B]Now if you?ll excuse me, I really do need to get some things taken care of before dinner.[/B]? He sidestepped around her and was off before she could raise an objection.

?[B]Oh that Fonty![/B]? Catherine sighed a bit, she had always hoped that him and some of Leonhart?s other children would finally come to accept Lady Bavaria, but so far that hope had been in vain. She shook it off and started heading through Rosengard, following the sound of voices that she could hear until she finally found them, smiling warming as she moved to greet them, catching first Harriet in an embrace and then Lady Bavaria.

?[B]You don?t visit often enough dear, Rosengard has missed your presence in its halls.[/B]? Catherine turned and also gave Agron a brief hug as well before stepping back. ?[B]It?s good to see you as well. Will the two of you be staying for dinner?[/B]?

?[B]I?m afraid not dear, I will be having dinner with the Dynasts tonight.[/B]? Lady Bavaria replied.

?[B]The Mirror Palace is beautiful, but I hope you?ll be able to find the time to join us for either lunch or dinner as well. There?s so much we need to catch up on.[/B]? Catherine said kindly.

?[B]I?d like that.[/B]? Lady Bavaria said warmly as the group continued through the halls of Rosengard.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
It hadn?t taken Alecia long to find someone to send off to a shop to have the medicine made up for Macey. Once they returned, the servant in question would be sure to deliver it personally to Macey, the potionist shop would include her instructions making it unnecessary for Macey to remember what she had told her. She was almost to the bottom of the stairs leading to one of the hallways that ran along the gardens when movement caught her eye and she saw both Vincent Achard and Alexander come in from outside. Vincent, who hadn?t seen her simply headed off into the estate while Alexander, with a smile, came over to join her.

?[B]Is Macey alright?[/B]?

?[B]Yes, it?s mostly just fatigue catching up with her, along with the stress of the explosion and Grandfather being missing.[/B]? Alecia took his left arm with her own and started walking down the hallway towards the main living room. ?[B]Macey just needs some time to rest and take it easy.[/B]?

?[B]As do you love.[/B]? He reminded her.

?[B]Once we?ve checked for news, I agree. Even though the cool air woke me up a bit I?m still feeling tired.[/B]? Alecia turned her head a bit at the sound of voices coming their way, puzzled as to who it could be as one of them she did not recognize. She halted and turned completely to wait for whoever it was.

A moment later, she had her answer as Harriet, Catherine, Lady Bavaria and her father Agron Deacon came around the corner. Upon seeing the two of them, each group headed to greet one another. Alecia had met Lady Bavaria on many occasions, but in all honesty, she didn?t really know her that well since she was gone most of the time, residing in the Anovan capitol due to her work as an ambassador.

?[B]Have you heard any news Alexander??[/B] Catherine asked them once they were close enough, telling both Alecia and Alexander that nothing new had been discovered in regards to Leonhart. Alexander just shook his head negativity.

?[B]I?m afraid there?s been no news here at Rosengard either,[/B]? Harriet said quietly.

For a brief awkward moment Alecia and Bavaria simply stared at one another until Alecia took the initiative, moving to hug her tightly. ?[B]It?s good to see you Grandmother.[/B]? She said before letting go and standing back.

Bavaria tilted her head to the left ever so slightly as she looked at Alecia and then Alexander, ?[B]This must be Alexander,[/B]? She extended her hand and shook his firmly when he answered affirmatively. ?[B]Congratulations to both of you and my apologies that I was unable to attend your wedding.[/B]?

?[B]That?s not necessary Grandmother,[/B]? Alecia said with a smile and then changed the subject. ?[B]Will you be staying long?[/B]?

?[B]Not tonight as I have other engagements this evening.[/B]? Bavaria replied politely. ?[B]In fact, I?m afraid I will need to leave soon.[/B]?

?[B]That?s a shame,[/B]? Alecia replied, uncertain as to what to say. ?[B]Well if you do have the time to attend dinner at Rosengard, we?d love to have you here.[/B]?

?[B]Don?t worry dear,[/B]? Catherine interjected. ?[B]We?ll be sure to let you know if that?s the case so you and Alexander won?t miss out.[/B]? She looked to Lady Bavaria and then back at the two. ?[B]If you?ll excuse us, as Bavaria said she doesn?t have much time.[/B]?

Alecia nodded. ?[B]Of course, take care Grandmother.[/B]? She said as the group moved to head around them and continue with what they had been doing. A moment later they were gone.

?[B]Well that went better than I thought it would.[/B]? Alexander spoke up once it was clear they were out of hearing range.

?[B]Why do you say that?[/B]? Alecia asked as they continued for the main doors of Rosengard.

?[B]It?s just that.[/B]? He paused turning a bit red. ?[B]Well?[/B]? He squirmed a bit.

Alecia poked him in the side as they walked outside. ?[B]Out with it Alexander![/B]? She commanded him in a mock serious voice.

?[B]It?s just that it?s pretty clear that Dame Anna and most of Leonhart?s kids despise her, and you never talk about her so I wondered if you felt the same.[/B]? He finally said a bit sheepishly.

?[B]Oh Alex![/B]? Alecia laughed. ?[B]I barely know her![/B]? She looked forward as they left through the gates of Rosengard and headed down the street towards their home. ?[B]I?ve always preferred to try and at least know someone before I form an opinion of them, and I can?t imagine Grandfather loving someone who was unkind or cruel.[/B]?

?[B]I?m sure your right.[/B]?

Alecia poked Alexander in the side again and mock glared at him.

?[B]Hey![/B]? He protested, pulling away a tiny bit.

?[B]Of course I am.[/B]? She told him in her best imitation of being serious, only to break down and laugh at Alexander?s mock offended look from being poked. She smiled when he put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close when she finally stopped laughing.

A moment later the two of them were home and Alexander helped Alecia out of her cloak before heading to the kitchen to have a brief word with the housekeeper while Alecia headed to their bedroom to change out of her potionists uniform. She hadn?t realized just how tired she was as she struggled with the catch for the wrap at her waist, attempting to get it undone and yet failing to do so.

She was debating whether or not to ask Alexander to help her when she heard the door to their bedroom open and then close. And then footsteps approaching her in the small walk in dressing room to the side of the main bedroom. Alecia turned to face Alexander and ask for his help but he beat her to her request by pulling her close and wrapping his arms around her so they were touching, face to face, his hands moving to get the stubborn clasp at the small of her back.

?[B]Let me help you with that.[/B]? He whispered as he moved to kiss her.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]
Evangeline had fallen asleep quickly the night before, having been exhausted from their excursions. As she drifted off she had to repress the tears that threatened to fall on her pillow at the possible thought that her father was gone. Throughout the night she had tossed and turned in the bed, troubles plaguing her in her dreamless slumber.

When she finally awoke the next morning she was disheveled and it was quite obvious that she didn't have a good rest to anyone that saw her. The curtains were open, allowing bright sunshine into the room. A wave of sorrow went through her body as she recalled the previous day's events and tears slid down her cheeks in remembrance of her missing father. After allowing herself a few minutes to physically mourn, she got out of bed and prepared herself for the day ahead.

By the time Eva took a shower and did all that was needed a dress was set out on her neatly done bed. With a glance she judged it as an inappropriate choice by the servant, lifting it back into her closet and instead removing one that was a very formal style gown instead of the party dress prior. It was a dark shade of midnight, and as she stroked the silken fabric she fondly remembered that it had belonged to her mother.

She descended the stairs for breakfast after deducing that all that needed to be done, was. She greeted Fauntleroy and Dawlish as she entered, taking a seat. Eva ate her breakfast as they all conversed lightly, until Dawlish's comment.

[B]"...Maybe I wouldn't have to live my life as a cripple. It doesn't seem fair."[/B]

Evangeline uncharacteristically lost her temper, thinking of the missing patriarch. She made some hasty comments and left the room.

[B][I]'Nothing that happened yesterday was fair...'[/I][/B] she thought sadly.

She walked around the estate quietly, hearing about someone new staying in the house who went by the name, [I]'Gadget'[/I] brought in by Ella. Her brows creased, she probably hadn't met him due to everything that happened the night prior, and wondered if he was an experiment from the labs since she'd never heard his name mentioned from Macey's lips and he [I]did[/I] make an entrance after Macey's successful escape from Prometheo Labs. Eva made a mental note to find out more on the subject at a later point in time.

After more wandering she heard that Lady Bavaria was coming in the evening and all the servants were a-twitter at the news, rushing to make everything perfect. Deciding to get out of their way she retreated to the large steps at the back of the estate which lead to a large open field. The sky was clear and a small flock of birds winged their way across the great expanse.

Thinking about this 'Gadget' person made her give thought to her own experiments that she had herself in Prometheo Laboratories. She felt a wave of sorrow as she realised her creations would have been trapped in cages during the time when the building was destroyed, the poor animals that she had made and cared for, helpless, left to die. She did wonder about the possibility of some escaping if parts of their cages were crushed, allowing them to leave, but would they be able to survive on their own anyway? Would people kill them as soon as they saw them? Eva sighed deeply. At least she had her notebook records on her work so she didn't lose everything. Eventually her thoughts drifted back to her father.

[B]"Father...I pray you're still alive and I will keep a hope in my heart until there is solid proof."[/B] she swore softly, eyes shining with determination, her strong will and belief evident in her blue irises.

The sunset beautifully and the moon and stars began to come out of hiding. The entire day had flown by her without really having conscious thought about it. She heard the incessant chatter of the servants cease and got up, brushing the dirt from her skirt as she headed inside. [I]They[/I] had arrived so it seemed. As she walked through the doors from the outside, her gaze locked with Lady Bavaria's. Her eyes took in what the woman was wearing and her lips pressed into a tight line.

[B]"Lady Bavaria, Lord Deacon."[/B] she greeted cordially, tilting her head but eyes cold.

[B]"Hello, Marie Evangeline. Good to see you again,"[/B] was the reply.

Eva nodded and excused herself, leaving the room to perhaps see what her twin sister was up to at the moment and maybe to question her about Gadget.[/SIZE][/COLOR]