OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[CENTER][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][/CENTER]
[FONT="Georgia"]Gadget didn't need to wait long for Vincent to arrive. He had his long uniform jacket on, but for a Police Guard, he didn't seem too intimidating. More like... secure.

[B]"So, you're all set?"[/B] Vincent asked as he pulled his white gloves on, preparing for the chilly evening wind. [B]"My my, look at that sunset!"[/B]

The view from Mt Grail was truly aweinspiring, and now the landscape was gleaming in the fierce red light of the setting sun. Vincent lead Gadget down the stairs and into the rose garden surrounding the mansion. They dove under a delicate arch with wildwines growing on it, and they were in the hedge maze.

[B]"I hope you know your way around here, Mr. Achard"[/B], Gadget laughed
nervously. Not that he didn't trust this man, but the sensation filling him was something completely new.

[B]"Do not worry, young man. I've walked in here a thousand times alone - and with Macey. I find the maze very intriguing, you see. Did you know that this was planned and constructed by Leanna, the wife of Celsius Almagest? Oh, of course you didn't, how could've you? Forgive me my silliness..."[/B]

Gadget wanted to chuckle. Vincent was babbling! A full-grown man, experienced in both life and love, was nervous in his presence. He, a juvenile mechanic with no parents and no home, had this sort of an effect to one of the most powerful men in Czenovia! Gadget couldn't believe it. In fact, he still hadn't quite grasped what had happened to him.

But he didn't mind. He was happy being where he was, among these rich strangers who were so interested in him. He asked Vincent about Anova, the country he was from that Gadget had never heard of before. And Vincent told him everything. Too much for Gadget to take in. But Gadget just listened, nodded, and smiled.

It was dark already when Gadget realized they were sitting on a bench in front of a bubbling marble fountain with a statue of a half-naked man pouring water into the pool.

[B]"He looks beautiful"[/B], Gadget said suddenly. [B]"That boy in the fountain."[/B]

He glanced at Vincent, and saw that the man was just staring at him, smiling mysteriously. Gadget felt himself blush. [B]"Did I say something funny?"[/B]

[B]"No, there's nothing funny about what you said. I just think that the statue cannot compare to the beauty I see in front of me."[/B] Vincent's voice was thick and raspy, and he almost sounded drunk even though Gadget knew he hadn't drank a drop.

Gadget felt his heart swelling. Was this a dream? He couldn't reply, just stare at the much older man. Gadget didn't know anything about love, but there was certainly something reflecting from those deep, dark eyes.

A light, an eerie green light...

The expression in Vincent's face turned confused, and then shocked. He stood up and took a step backwards.

[B]"W-what is happening to you?"[/B] he whispered, obviously frightened.

Gadget looked at himself, not realizing what was happening. Then he removed his leather gloves, and saw that his skin was glowing again, only this time it was much stronger. As he stared at his hand, he saw it vanish.

Then the headache returned, and he fell into the ground in pain.

[B]"Gadget?!"[/B] Vincent screamed. The man couldn't see but Gadget's clothes wriggling in the ground.

Not again! Not now! Thoughts ran wild in Gadget's head, but he knew that there was only one solution. [B]"Get... Macey..."[/B]

Vincent spun around and ran into the darkness, leaving the invisible Gadget by the fountain.[/FONT]

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey was just walking towards the main hall, congratulating herself on thus far avoiding Lady Bavaria when the woman herself swept around a corner and into view. For some reason she was perfectly alone, and Macey couldn't have been more annoyed. Perhaps it was divine retribution, but Macey kept a frosty smile on her face and extended a gloved hand, loathe to let Lady Bavaria see her cower in fear. The woman in question took it with a dainty, limp hand, her smile simpering and as false as pyrite.[/i]

"Lady Bavaria, how pleasant to see you."

"And you Macey Ellen. It's so lovely to see you out and about after that terrible situation with that Achard."

"Naturally. I couldn't stay isolated forever."

[i]The two ladies eyed each other, both unwilling to break eye contact, blue clashing against black. Macey's teeth were grinding almost audibly, but she let her eyes convey her true emotions; loathing, disgust, disdain.[/i]

"Well you never had much sense, letting go of a handsome creature like Vincent."

[i]Lady Bavaria would never know how close she came to a terrible accident, when Vincent rushed up the stairs to find Macey engaged in a staring contest with the new heir to Leonhart's fortune. He looked at the pair of them, neither having noticed him yet. Vincent stepped carefully behind Macey, and reached out to tap her on the shoulder. Instantly, she whirled around, her hand nearly held out defensively across her sides.[/i]

"Oh, Vincent, is there something you needed from me?"

"Lady Bavaria. Macey, if you could come down to the garden with me for a few moments."

"But of course."

[i]Vincent nodded in Bavaria's direction, and took Macey's arm, whisking her off towards where Gadget was last seen. Just as they were making their way towards the gate, Eva came bustling up in a flurry of skirts and gave Macey a meaningful look, her expression glossing over Vincent entirely.[/i]

"Can we talk now Ella?"

"Now isn't the best time. Tonight would be better. After that bitch is gone from our home."

"...right... See you then."

[i]Evva walked off, looking mildly confused, but not questioning her twin further. As they hurried along, Macey kept her expression neutral, waiting until she was alone to express her frustrations and rages against that...cow. Once they reached the fountain, Gadget nearly began to babble in fear, and Macey quickly grabbed for his hand and pulled her with him around the back of the house towards her lab. Vincent hovered behind like a shadow, unwilling to leave Macey and Gadget alone while he was still in trouble.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
It was awkward, their meeting. After ten years you'd think she would have embraced him, or kissed him, something lovingly. That wasn't the case with Bavaria, never at all. [B]"Weren't you awaiting execution or something?"[/B]

Jack had returned to the house just in time for Bavaria's homecoming.

Jack removed the cigar from his mouth and put it out in a nearby ashtray before speaking. [B]"Nice to see you as well Bavaria. I see the years haven't made you any less of a frigid-"[/B]

[B] "Ahem."[/B] came Agron from behind Bavaria. Jack immediately closed his mouth as his father began to speak. [B]"Where have you been, Jonathan? For a moment I thought you'd ran away again."[/B]
[B]
"I considered it, but thought why not stay here and spend some quality time with my good old dad. I was hoping we could go fishing."[/B]

Bavaria's eyebrow raised slightly. [B]"Oh you two. Jonathan, where's Morphia? I was told she would be here."[/B]
[B]
"I told her to go home."[/B] Jack replied. He knew it was coming.
[B]
"Why on earth would you do that?! How could you be so careless?!"[/B] Agron stepped forward as if he were about to strike Jack only to be stopped by Bavaria's slim arm.

[B] "Father, please. She will be at the dinner tonight, won't she Jonathan?"[/B] Bavaria's smooth voice calmed her father, whose face had turned a nice shade of pink. Jack nodded to his sister. [B]"Well, then. Now that that's taken care of, I believe we've seen enough here. Jonathan, will you be joining me on the ride back home? Father has other things to attend to and a carriage has already been sent for him."[/B]

[B] "I suppose, if the old man's got no problem with it."[/B] Jack looked at his father, who's face scrunched up.

[B] "Bavaria, I will be going back with you too. I think we've seen enough of Rosengard. Besides, I must have a talk with your sister. It seems she's forgotten her manners."
[/B]
To the Jack's chagrin the three of them walked from Rosengard and into the gardens where Bavaria's carriage was waiting. They filed in and settled in. Jack waited until the carriage was moving before he began to speak. [B]"For the love of the King, father! Can't you go one day without meddling? You're like an old housewife."[/B]
[B]
"Watch your tongue, you, you... Bloody hell, there aren't enough words in the King's god damn english to describe you."[/B]

[B] "There's one for you. It's called a-"[/B] before Jack could finish he felt a sharp slap across his face.

Bavaria pulled her hand back and looked at him, her eyes looking like those of a scolding mother. [B]"You will show our father respect, Jonathan. I will here nothing otherwise."[/B] she then looked at their father, [B]"And you, you will stop bringing yourself down to his level. Imagine if the King or someone of like importance saw you behaving like this. I think they would think exactly what I'm thinking now, 'and he advises royalty?'."[/B]

Jack and his father said nothing. Both feeling like children. Silence filled the cabin of the carriage they were in until Bavaria spoke once more. [B]"So Jonathan, how did you escape that prison? When I got your letter for money, I didn't send anything for I was quite sure you would handle it."[/B]

Jack looked at his sister, then his father. Agron was watching with silent interest, eager to hear about this. [B]"Er,"[/B] Jack began, trying to recall it, [B]"The man in the cell with me had been working on a whole for 14 years. We were dumping dirt every chance we recieved. I just helped him finish his work. I think I spent about a month or so in there before escaping."[/B]
[B]
"They didn't ask for a name? Or come after you?"[/B] Agron asked.
[B]
"They did. But don't worry father, I was in under an alias."[/B]

[B] "Good,"[/B] replied his father. [B]"God knows we don't need you hurting our name anymore than you have."[/B]

Jack began to speak, but seeing Bavaria motion her arm caused him to pause. The rest of the trip was a silent one.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1][indent][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
The Deacons’ carriage rocked violently as it crawled up the hill towards the family home of Thorinine. Not as large or as beautiful as Rosengard, the small estate rested comfortably in the shadow of the Mirror Palace. It had belonged to the Deacons for generations, and although it did not contain the luxuries she had grown accustomed to in her travels, Lady Bavaria still thought of it as home.

She peered out the window at the home’s spires and brickwork, her eyes misting slightly. So much time had passed since she last spent a night in her own bed; with Leonhart’s death Rosengard seemed more like a graveyard than ever. [i]A night with my family will do me some good,[/i] Bavaria thought to herself, [i]I only hope I can hold myself together for a bit longer.[/i]

“[b]Are you sure that you’ll be up for dinner tonight?[/b]” Agron asked, “[b]You must be exhausted…[/b]”

Bavaria sighed, “[b]I’ll be alright.I know that it would break your heart if we stood up the Dynasts, and it may prove a worthwhile distraction from my troubles.[/b]”

Jack held his sister’s hand tightly, “[b]Just let us know if you want to leave. We’ll be out before the old King knows what happened.[/b]”

The carriage pulled up to the large iron doors of the Thorinine house and a handful of elderly servants approached. Each graciously welcomed Lady Bavaria, Jack and Agron, bowing and curtsying as much as their old bones would allow them. Morphia sat on the from steps, petting her fluffy white house cat as she waited for her siblings. She wore a beautiful black silk gown, and draped herself in a simple purple shawl. It was obvious that she was ready for dinner, and had been waiting for some time. At her side was her mother, Lady Odilie, wearing a conservative black number adorned with an exorbitant amount of jewels.

“[b]It’s about time you arrived,[/b]” she said curtly, “[b]We have been waiting here for nearly an hour.[/b]”

“[b]A pleasure to see you too, mother,[/b]” Jack replied with a grin, “[b]Just let me change into a fresh coat and we’ll be right off.[/b]”

Morphia embraced her sister tightly, “[b]Are you okay? When I heard the news I couldn’t believe--[/b]”

“[b]Enough, sister,[/b]” Bavaria said sheepishly as she patted Morphia on the back, “[b]I’ve heard enough condolences to last a lifetime already. Let us hop into the carriage and get this evening over with.[/b]”

The girl nodded, “[b]I’ll meet you at the Palace then, I only need to make a quick stop.[/b]”

“[b][I]A stop!?[/I][/b]” Jack asked, “[b]I can’t imagine the Dynasts are very eager to feed us in shifts.[/b]”

“[b]Oh hush, brother! Mother and Father have been so eager to marry me off, it was their suggestion that I bring a gentleman for the evening.[/b]”

Lady Bavaria smiled, “[b]A suitor? Oh Morphia, you’re growing up so quickly, I can hardly believe it![/b]”

“[b]It’s quite amazing, isn’t it?[/b]“ Lady Odilie replied as she nodded, “[b]We’re all very eager to find out about Morphia’s mystery date tonight.[/b]”

“[b]Is it anyone I know?[/b]”

“[b]Well Bavaria, in a loose sense, yes...[/b]” Morphia said as she stepped inside of the carriage, “[b]He’s proven quite fascinating so far, I only hope you approve.[/b]”

“[b]As long as they treat you well, sister. That‘s all that matters.[/b]”

“[b]Thank you, Bavaria! I‘ll see you tonight then,[/b]” Morphia said as she waved from the carriage, “[b]Driver, make haste![/b]”

In an instant Morphia’s carriage disappeared down the road, a trail of dust following her closely behind as it headed down the hill. Lady Odilie turned her attention to Bavria, eyeing her dress carefully.

“[b]Oh dear, I know I‘m not your mother, but perhaps you should change your attire to something less provocative. After all, The Dynasts are nothing if not old-fashioned.[/b]”

“[b]Lady Odilie, this dress was a gift from an Estates’ General in Anova. As you might know, red is a traditional color of mourning in parts of the Old Globe.[/b]”

“[b]Very well then,[/b]” she replied as she smacked Jack across the back of the head with her fan, “[b]You however, young man, have much to answer for. I’ve sent a wire to every prison camp on this continent trying to find you..![/b]”

"[b]I told her not to bother,[/b]" Agron said dryly as he adjusted his necktie, "[b]We could make do with just the other two children...[/b]"

At that moment another carriage pulled up to the doors. Their transportation to the Mirror Palace had arrived.[/size][/indent]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Macey rushed towards the large marble staircase that led to the basement. She was half carrying, half supporting a moving pile of clothes – Gadget’s clothes. Vincent pursued closely behind, his heart beating rapidly.

‘Macey! What has happened to Gadget?! Tell me!’

‘It’s a long story,’ said Macey dismissively. ‘I will fill you in later. Right now I need to sort this out.’

Vincent immediately knew that this whole incident had something to do with Macey’s use of alchemy; it was, after all, her life’s passion. During their marriage, her obsession with alchemy had been a constant issue. The only relief, thought Vincent, was that Macey usually knew what she was doing – if she’d caused this problem, she could no doubt repair it too.

‘How many more people do you need to drag into your obsession?!’ shouted Vincent so loudly that his voice echoed.

Macey stopped and turned to face him. ‘Look, I don’t have much time; certainly not enough time to get into a debate. I have to give Gadget an injection and I have to do it right now! I know how you feel but we’ll have to deal with that later. Trust me, Vincent, I will look after him. When everything is sorted out I will send for you.’

Vincent opened his mouth to retaliate, but it was no use – Macey was right. Better to leave her do her work, he thought.

Vincent returned to his quarters, where he closed and locked the door. He sat down on the edge of the bed and put his face in his hands. Even for a soldier – even for someone who had seen death and war – what he had done just moments beforehand had been more terrifying than anything. Finally, his dreams started to make some sense. He now had some understanding of his curiosity about Gadget. As they had sat by the fountain in the gardens, he had actually [i]told[/i] Gadget that he was beautiful. Saying the words out loud came suddenly and even Vincent did not expect them – but they came and, no matter how difficult it was to admit, he knew that he meant them.

Vincent had initially thought that his overwhelming desire to protect Gadget came from what he knew of Gadget’s background. And, of course, a soldier’s duty is to protect those who require it. Yet this was at least partly a delusion; Vincent didn’t just want to protect Gadget from harm – he [i]wanted[/i] Gadget. It was difficult to acknowledge at first, but Vincent was increasingly realizing that he wanted Gadget romantically.

At first, Vincent worried about Macey’s reaction. Ironically, though, she somehow seemed to know – or at least, she had seemed to predict it. Maybe he was reading into things far too much, he thought.

He knew, however, that many of the elite in both Czenovia and Anova would not care either way. This was partly because the common rules of society hardly applied to them, but it was also because many of them had their own personal dealings (business or otherwise) that they were more than happy to either keep secret, or to not acknowledge publicly.

All Vincent knew was that he couldn’t wait to hear from Macey about the results of the injection. He wanted to see Gadget as soon as possible – preferably fully visible and healthy.

[size=1][center]
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

[b]"Mother-"[/b]

[b]"Hold still, boy!"[/b]

[b]"Mother, please!"[/b] Henry just barely managed to sidle out of Dame Anna's vicelike grip, something he had not been able to do with any semblance of skill since he was four years old. [b]"I am perfectly capable of dressing myself, thank you!"[/b]

Dame Anna glared at her son, looking quite sharp in a black trousers and a matching suit jacket, with only the middle clasped together to show a pristine white dress shirt underneath. He looked exceedingly uncomfortable, but at least somewhat fashionable. The shirt was left unbuttoned near the top to show off Henry's favorite necklace, a Grimalkin family heirloom that was considerably less priceless than anything to be found within Rosengard.

[b]"Capable of dressing yourself to look like some filthy street urchin, yes, but not for a dinner with the Dynasts."[/b] Henry refused to back down, however, fixing his mother with a smirk and a raised eyebrow. Dame Anna threw her hands up in the air, finally backing off. [b]"Fine, fine. But when the poor old King places a bounty upon your head, and [i]mine[/i] for all my trouble, after you've thoroughly disgraced yourself in front of the Royal Family wearing an outfit like that, don't come crying home to me!"[/b]

Henry chuckled softly, brushing his hair into place as he looked at his mother in the mirror. [b]"Mother, after everything Juvenus Courageous has been getting himself into these days, I doubt, highly, my presence will cause much of a stir."[/b]

Before Dame Anna could reprimand Henry for his blatant disrespect of one of the heirs to the Dynast throne, there came a small knock on Henry's door.

[b]"Yes, come in."[/b] Anna ordered impatiently, opening the door. Lucius, the servant, stood waiting. [b]"What is it, Lucius?"[/b]

[b]"Lady Morphia is here for you, Master Henry. She says it is urgent, and that you must hurry."[/b]

[i]"Perfect timing, Morphia."[/i] Henry thought to himself as Lucius excused himself. He took one final look at himself in the mirror, straightened his jacket, and turned around to kiss his mother on the cheek. [B]"Be home soon, Mother. Don't wait up."[/b]

Dame Anna sighed to herself as her smiling son left the room, calling out just before he got out of earshot. [b]"You make sure to behave yourself, Henry Grimalkin!"[/b]

---

Henry quickly exited Rosengard - he could see or hear no one, which was odd, but also a relief; he didn't feel the need, or desire, to explain where he was going tonight. Morphia's carriage stood waiting, the door opened for him.

He climbed in nimbly, taking Morphia's hand and brushing his lips against it like a true gentleman. [b]"Morphia, you look absolutely gorgeous. Is this all for me? I'm truly flattered."[/b]

The tiniest hint of a blush crept across Morphia's calm face. [b]"Enough of that. Driver, hurry please. We don't want to be late."[/b]

Henry settled down next to Morphia, looking out the window as Rosengard disappeared quickly. This was going to be an interesting night, indeed.[/size]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]This time Gadget managed to stay conscious as Macey took him to the basement laboratory. The surroundings were still a blur, and Macey's voice sounded like a distant echo. Somewhere along the way they ran into another young woman, who had something of a short argument with Macey, but eventually helped Macey support him.

Then there was the familiar pain caused by the injection, but Gadget noticed that it didn't hurt as much as it had used to. When he finally came to senses, he saw Macey talking with the other woman in a low voice. He realized that she was Marie
Evangeline, Macey's twin sister he had met briefly at the dinner last evening.
[B]"Listen, Eva, I'll tell everything if you just go get Vincent here. I don't want him to bring the RPG to meddle with this, it would put everything I've achieved in risk!"[/B]

[B]"Fine, then! Your 'assistant' is staring us, by the way"[/B], Eva remarked before she left the small laboratory.

Macey walked to Gadget with a neutral smile on her face. [B]"Treasure... How are you feeling?"[/B]

[B]"I'm alright, I guess... It's not as painful anymore."[/B] Gadget looked at his own hand, which was visible again. The bloodveins were still glowing weakly, though.

[B]"I know. I have altered the substance a little. And your body is adjusting to these treatments as well. It's a really good sign."[/B]

Gadget turned his face away. [B]"Good? I don't know what you've been doing to me, and I haven't asked about it, but whatever it is, it's done nothing good for me this far."[/B]

Macey remained silent. Then the door opened, and Eva returned with Vincent on her heels. The man walked to Gadget's bedside. Gadget looked him in the eyes and gave a wide smile.

But Vincent wasn't smiling. [B]"I need an explanation, Ella. Now."[/B]

Macey stood up. Everybody turned their eyes on her. She was evidently nervous.

[B]"What I'm about to tell you three will shock you. It's shocked me at first as well, but I'm a rational scientist, so I knew it had to be done. But you musn't tell this forward, it's highly important. Only a carefully selected group of people know about this."[/B]

She took a deep breath. [B]"Project Alchimaera started half a year ago, when the Dynast King himself assigned the Prometheo Laboratories to research on how Magitechnology could be combined with human beings. Our father was informed, and he agreed to fund the project on the condition that I would hired into it. I really don't know why he wanted that, but I agreed with pleasure."[/B]

[B]"The outcome of the first tests were catastrophical, and we lost all our volunteers. In desperation we decided to get specimens by force. So about a month ago, after getting a permission from the Dynast King, we retrieved one hundred and fifty young people from the slums at Gearloose Street in New Czenoble. And Gadget here was the only one of them who survived in our hands."[/B]

Gadget felt his eyes fill with tears. He had already known this, but hearing Macey say it aloud made it real finally. All of the boys he had lived with, and so many others... sacrificed in the Altar of Science.

[B]"But... why?!"[/B] Eva asked. Her eyes were aflame with fury. Vincent looked ominously brooding as well.

[B]"Project Alchimaera aimed to create an army for the Dynast King. An army consisting of men and women enhanced with Magitechnology to become invincible. As you've both seen, the injections turned Gadget's skin invisible, but what's less evident is that in that form his skin is also impenetrable. And the effects on his mind... I'm sorry, treasure, but the injection is also making you lose your own will."[/B]

Gadget couldn't look at Macey anymore. Vincent finally spoke.

[B]"Then you must stop this madness at once! The Prometheo Laboratories have been destroyed, so there's no point in going on!"[/B] For the first time Gadget saw Vincent enfuriated, but he still wasn't scary. He was defending him, and it was comforting.

[B]"But I can't! You've seen what will happen to Gadget if he doesn't get the injections! His body has already adjusted to them, it's too late to stop now. But I've done some alterations to the formula..."[/B] Macey was scrambling to explain her motives. But it was hopeless, for she knew she had done wrong herself.

Vincent gave a final look at Gadget, and it was full of despair. Then he stormed off the room. But Eva didn't follow him.

[B]"Sister... I may know a way to reverse the effect."[/B]

[B]"What?"[/B] Macey asked amazed. [B]"How could you possibly?"[/B]

[B]"I've done similar tests with the chimaeras. I've tried attaching metal parts to them with Magitechnology. It's similar to growing organic parts together when creating chimaeras, but not quite. But during my research I found out a way to remove the metal as well. Maybe we could apply the same method to Gadget as well?"[/B]

Macey pondered it. She looked at Gadget, who was wiping his tears. Gadget didn't know if he could trust the woman anymore, but he was at her mercy.

[B]"I think I can look at your method"[/B], Macey said, giving in. Then she smiled at her sister, who had given her hope again. [B]"We haven't worked together for ages, anyway."[/B][/FONT]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Project Alchimaera; so that's what it was all about. At first, Vincent was angry at Macey. What he had said earlier was surely right; how many more people [i]could[/i] she drag into her obsession with science?

On the other hand, it was obvious that she cared about Gadget. Moreover, she was trying to repair her mistake.

Vincent knew that he could not judge Macey too harshly; he, after all, was working for an organization with which he had increasingly serious disagreements. Intellectual honesty was often a scarce thing in Czenovian aristocracy.

Now that he'd had time to cool down, Vincent decided to return to the laboratory.

As he pushed open the door quietly, he noticed that both Macey and Eva had left. Gadget was sitting up on an old, dusty couch near a workbench. He was rubbing his forehead; he looked to be in pain.

Gadget must have heard Vincent, as he flinched slightly when the door creaked. But when he saw Vincent, he beamed. It was a slightly forced smile. The pain was subsiding but it was still present on some level.

Vincent sat down next to Gadget and looked at the many instruments before them.

'I'm sorry,' he said finally. 'Nobody should have to go through something like this.'

Gadget spoke quietly and somewhat weakly: 'You have nothing to apologize for, Vincent. It's not your fault.'

Vincent looked at Gadget. A tear was running down his cheek.

'I just don't know my place in the world,' said Gadget as he stared at his feet. 'And...I'm sorry for last night. I didn't want to put you in an awkward position, it's just that...'

Vincent looked over Gadget and felt an overwhelming sense of sorrow. 'What is it?'

'I,' Gadget sniffed and looked up at Vincent. '...I know this sounds foolish, but...I want you to stay with me. At least for a while.'

Vincent smiled. He removed a glove and ran his finger along Gadget's cheek, collecting the tear that had trickled down it.

'Of course I will stay with you. I want to sort this out as much as you do.'

Gadget's relief was tangible. He must never have experienced these emotions before, because he still had an awkwardness about him. But, in an act of personal courage, he leaned against Vincent and lay his head against Vincent's chest.

Vincent put his arm around Gadget and held him. He was not sure what the future would hold, but for now, he felt more at home than he had since his arrival in Czenovia.

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey and her sister had cloistered themselves in their shared suite like the pair of alchemists they were. And their desks had been set up together and were now one gigantic desk, strewn with papers, books, pencils, pens, and all tomes available to them on the subjects they'd have to familiarize themselves with. Macey was reclining in one of her chairs, flicking a pen between her fingers idly, tinkering with the camera her brother had lent to her. Eva was reading a very old codex on the subject of interest, and the servants had been instructed to bring up their meals in a steady stream, with tea every two hours or so.[/i]

"It says here that what we're going to attempt is theoretically possible... It'll just take awhile."

"Well assuming it can be done before we all die of old age, who cares"

[i]Eva snickered and went back to her work, making notes in the margins. On a sudden whim, Macey stood and set down the camera, her tests with it going nowhere quickly. Instead she walked directly across the hall where she'd set up Gadget and her former husband. Inwardly she wondered if it was the best idea, as the gossips were sure to never stop their blathering, but quite frankly, it didn't matter in the end. Provided Vincent treated her treasure right, she didn't care what people said. And when she knocked on the door, Gadget opened it cautiously, a worried look on his face.[/i]

"Do you really think you can help me Macey?"

"I really do. With my sister's help, we're going to do everything we can for you. I'm so sorry things turned out this way, and I promise you I'll do whatever I can."

[i]Gadget bobbed his head once, afraid to believe her, but knowing he had very little choice in the matter. He stepped aside, and admitted her, Vincent sitting at the writing desk nearby. Macey turned to Gadget.[/i]

"Could you please go see Eva in our room? She wants to run a few tests on you. Don't worry, they'll be painless."

"Well...if you say so."

[i]He left, shutting the door behind him, and Macey pulled a chair over to where Vincent was. He looked up from his papers with a carefully arranged expression on his face, and Macey folded her hands in her lap.[/i]

"I want to tell you, I deeply regret how my work has affected people thus far."

"...You don't have to lie to me to reassure me you'll help Gadget."

"It's not that at all. I should've known what the contract would've entailed before I took it."

[i]At this Macey stood, pacing restlessly before the fireplace, her hands still clasped tightly in front of her. Vincent watched her walk back and forth until he felt like screaming at her to simply sit still.[/i]

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but ever since our divorce, I've felt an irrational obsession with getting something right. But I've even failed at this."

"I-"

[i]At that, Macey abruptly sat down again, her expression drawn, face paling. She looked across the way at the darkening twilight outside, and then back to Vincent. His expression had softened already, seeing Macey's true distress with what she'd caused. And he somehow couldn't hold it against her.[/i]

"You'll find a solution. I have faith in your abilities."

"That means something then. Maybe I need an anchor, someone to keep me from throwing myself headlong into this sort of thing."

"A husband?"

[i]Macey jerked her head up to look at him like she'd been slapped. She'd never considered asking Vincent's advice on the topic before, but now that she considered it, what could be so bad with that idea? Her smile became rather wry, and he saw a playful look sparking in her glance.[/i]

"Why not?"

"Why not indeed."[/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/henryavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/center]
[COLOR="Indigo"]As they passed through the gates of Rosengard, Morphia gave Henry a quick smile, [b]?Thank you for coming ? I know it?s a big favor to ask.?

?Not at all,?[/b] he replied chivalrously.

But her smile faltered a little, [b]?Henry?is there any news yet??

?Of Leonhart??[/b] Henry?s expression grew grim, and he shook his head. [b]?Nothing yet that I?ve heard, but everyone is doing all they can.?[/b]

Morphia nodded and then looked away, trying not to dwell on the heartache that she felt. The fact that Leonhart was presumed to be dead had not even sunk in before Jack had spirited her away from Rosengard in his odd bout of anxiety. She hadn?t been allowed to step foot off the grounds of Thorinine since then, and eventually had just holed herself up in her room as she tried to deal with the barrage of grief and confusion left in the wake of Leonhart?s disappearance. Even the maids knew to stay away from their young mistress, or risk getting a vase or glass thrown at their heads. The only thing that had kept Morphia from going over the edge was Bavaria?s return. Yet how everyone managed to carry on so normally completely baffled her; when her mother had started lecturing on the upcoming social engagements?god, she had wanted to shatter ever window in the manse. But for now she would play her part as an affluent socialite perfectly.

Henry?s light touch on her arm alerted her to the fact that they had arrived at their destination. Peeking out the window, Morphia saw the rest of her family already gathered as a steam-car pulled away.
She turned back to Henry, [b]?So?ready to be torn apart by the jackals??

?Remind me why you invited me again? Was it for the sole purpose of serving me up to your parents??[/b] Henry asked, seeing the familiar faces of the Deacons.

[b]?Not entirely. After seeing how you handled yourself on the track, I thought you?d probably have the best chance of surviving,?[/b] she replied charmingly.

[b]?How reassuring; you must be more fond of me than I thought,?[/b] came the dry response. At that the carriage halted and the door swung open, Henry getting out first before helping Morphia out as well.

The chilly night air was nothing compared to the expressions of her parents; she knew instantly that she had made the right decision in bringing Henry along, [b]?Father, Mother, you remember Henry Grimalkin ? he?s been extremely generous to interrupt his busy schedule to escort me tonight, so I know you?ll be gracious.?[/b] Agron Deacon remained calm, but Morphia saw the way that Lady Odilie was pursing her lips. Still, they both greeted Henry politely?for the moment.

Bavaria also smiled in turn as she let Henry kiss her hand, [b]?I hardly recognized you. You?ve grown up quite well since I last saw you, Henry.?[/b] As usual, Morphia?s sister behaved with the most perfect grace. Jack also seemed relaxed, although Morphia never really could tell with him when she brought other men around. Still, they had gotten along before, so she didn?t think it would be a problem.

[b]?Well then, we mustn?t keep the Dynasts waiting,?[/b] Agron Deacon said promptly, and led the way up the steps. Jack held his arm out to Bavaria, and Henry did the same for Morphia.

Despite all the years that her father had been the Dynast King?s close advisor, Morphia had never once been to the Mirror Palace, and now everything about it took her breath away. Inside she was stunned by the enormity of wealth and grandeur, and for once was glad for all the courtly training she had been forced to undergo ? otherwise, she was sure that her jaw would be on the floor. Even the smaller side entrance they had used was more splendid than anything she had seen in High Czenoble, and once inside they were quickly escorted through an impossible maze of sumptuously constructed halls and rooms, guards with the royal insignia showing up every so often. Gilt furniture, marble, moldings that dripped with an excess of gems and metals?there was no end to the prosperity, or to the power that it all represented.

Finally they swept into a room hung with ornate silks and rich drapes all richly embroidered. Suddenly Agron Deacon fell to his knee. Without looking Morphia knew that they were in the presence of at least one of the Dynasts, and her training immediately took over; she knelt into a deep curtsy, knee almost touching the floor, head bowed, and skirts swept back with the graceful sweep of her hands. Everyone else had followed suit, and she could see Henry kneeling beside her.

A strong masculine voice spoke, [b]?Your Majesty, Agron Deacon has arrived with his family.?[/b] Morphia let her curiosity get the better of her and let her eyes flick up to the face of the speaker. The man was tall and dressed in the colors of royalty, with defined features and hard-set eyes; she guessed that he was Primas Generous, because he was too young to be the king.

[b]?Agron, come greet me. It is good that you all could come,?[/b] another voice said. This one was male as well, but far less piercing, and much older and laborious. She heard her father rise, and knew that he would be introducing each member of the party.

[i]When you approach do so gracefully and humbly. Curtsy as deeply as possible, kiss the hand that is offered, and back away slowly while still slightly bowed at the knee. Always keep your eyes lowered ? to look directly into their eyes can be considered an affront?[/i] The protocol for greeting royalty ran like verses in her head, and for the second time that night Morphia was grateful for her strict schooling that she had hated so much. Her mother, then Bavaria (who was offered a welcome home), then Jack?

[b]?My youngest daughter, Morphia Celios Markham,?[/b] her father said, and she went forward accordingly, dropping into her curtsy with seeming effortlessness.
She found herself in an oddly surreal feeling, as if her senses had been heightened drastically. She noted the watery quality of the silk, the stiff and luxurious embroidery around the cuffs of the sleeves, the liver spots and wrinkles that lined the skin of this man, the bony knuckles and joints that protruded from his hands, even the strange dusty smell of herbs that seemed to gather itself around him?all this in the single moment that she pressed her lips to the enormous gold ring that bore the seal of the Dynasty. Morphia?s eyes rose unbidden to the aged face; this closely she saw how the features had once probably been very similar to those of Primas, but time had taken a harsh toll. Her gaze traveled over the sunken cheekbones, the veins that could be seen clearly around his neck?

[i]This is our ruler? This decrepit old man?[/i]
But then she met his eyes?eyes that had quite possibly the sharpest and most piercing gaze she had ever seen. Instantly she dropped her eyes and backed away as Henry came forward to take her place.

Morphia went on to greet each of the three heirs, but felt as if in a trance. That single look had shaken her; she had no doubts whatsoever that that man was the Dynast King, no matter how ill or aged his body had become.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Victoria Ann was not going to attend dinner, after all that had happened earlier with that horrible Lector Moebius and seeing everyone carry on as if Leonhart really were dead... She felt more like screaming at everyone to go and look for him instead of politely eating dinner and talking about how life would be different.

She was sitting in her room, staring at all the different air ship models that she had built when finally she got up and left to look for Harrison, to see if perhaps he was going to sneak out like he often did, but instead she ran into Fonty. She thought about talking to him but instead started to go around him.

"[B]Hey! Since when did you ignore me?[/B]" Fonty teased her as he caught her in a hug as she tried to get by.

Victoria looked down as Fonty let go, "[B]I'm sorry Uncle Fonty. It's just that...[/B]"

"[B]Everyone's carrying on as if Leonhart is dead and it's depressing right?[/B]"

Victoria nodded. "[B]I don't understand! They didn't find a body so it just seems like everyone is giving up instead of trying![/B]" She started to explain but Fonty just hushed her.

"[B]It's alright Victoria,[/B]" Fonty reassured her, "[B]You don't have to give up.[/B]" He ruffled her hair a bit.

"[B]Thank you Uncle Fonty, I won't![/B]" Victoria hugged him tightly before letting go and taking off. Feeling a little better but still considering skipping dinner altogether, or rather getting something from the kitchen and heading up to the window in the attic that Harrison was fond of.

A short while later, with some food in tow she headed towards the stairs only to come around one of the corners and run into Beatriste, the food scattering upon impact.

"[B]Victoria,[/B]" Beatriste looked displeased. "[B]Please tell me you weren't thinking of sneaking away after all the trouble Dame Anna goes to in order to make sure a nice meal is prepared for you.[/B]"

Victoria just sighed, "[B]I'm sorry mother, I just...[/B]" She started to explain and then changed her mind, looking down. "[B]I'm sorry.[/B]" She picked up the food she had gotten and turned to head back towards the kitchen with Beatriste following along. It was clear that she had given up on Leonhart and Victoria did not want to argue with her over it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[indent][size=1][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
After exchanging greetings the group was ushered into the dining room, where a long glass table seemed to extend onto the horizon line. During state dinners it could be used to serve hundreds, but for tonight only a handful of place settings were needed. Several servants stood against the walls, outnumbering the guests two-to-one. Even as members of the Deacon clan the guests had never seen anything like it.

Sitting across the table were the three Dynast heirs: Primas Generous, Augustine Beauteous and Juvenous Courageous. Primas was an older man, though not nearly as old as Agron Deacon, with a bald head and a strong, muscular frame. He dressed in a military coat from the Royal Czenovia Military, adorned in various medals and ribbons he had received during his long military service.

Many hours and many courses had passed., but aside from the polite comments on their meal, little was being said. It was an awkward, if not friendly, dinner, easily forgettable save for a single prominent guest.

“[b]You said you rode in the Chiamera Circuit?[/b]” Prince Juvenous asked Henry eagerly, “[b]I have been to several private events at the stadium, but I’ve never seen a real race before.[/b]”

“[b]Oh you must join me then, your highness![/b]” Henry replied, “[b]I’m the greatest racer in the entire league; it’s very exciting.[/b]”

Morphia rolled her eyes, “[b]You know, I also happen to be a Chiamera Jockey. Both of us will be competing in the finals in a few days,[/b]”

“[b]Delightful,[/b]” Princess Augustine said, [b]Though it may be unbecoming of a lady, I find it very noble that you pursue your interests, Morphia…[/b]”

“[b]I assure you that there are many women riders in the--[/b]”

“[b]So tell me Henry, what kind of Chiamera do you ride? Is it a Featherdragon?[/b]”

Distressed, Morphia placed her napkin on the table and left the table. A servant quickly directed her towards the bathroom, and she disappeared into the darkness of a long corridor. “[b]Excuse me…[/b]”

Prince Juvenous turned towards his sister, “[b]Perhaps we should pay a visit to an upcoming race and see for ourselves.[/b]”

“[b]An excellent idea. It would be so good to venture out and be among the proletariat again![/b]”

“[b]You’ll love it out there, your highness,[/b]” Jack added with a grin, “[b]Save for the Slaughter Slums of New Czenoble, you won’t find better gambling anywhere else in all of Czenovia.[/b]”

“[b]Do you gamble, Jack?[/b]”

The young man‘s eyes lit up, “[b]Saying that would be an understatement![/b]”

The group burst into laughter as Prince Primas locked eyes with Lady Bavaria. “[b]I must say, my lady, that you look ravishing tonight,[/b]”

“[b]Why thank you, your highness,[/b]” she replied, blushing modestly, “[b]This dress is very flattering, you see. It was a gift from the Estates’ General in Anova.[/b]”

“[b]Am I mistaken, Bavaria,[/b]” Agron whispered as he wiped his eyeglasses with his handkerchief, “[b]But is Morphia’s companion not the same child who tried to take my coat when we were in Rosengard?[/b]”

Bavaria narrowed her eyes, “[b]You are not mistaken. It would appear my dear sister’s tastes have become much more… common in my absence.[/b]”

“[b]Bringing the child of a house matron before the King![/b]” the old man huffed, “[b]We’ll be the laughing stock of Czenovia if we let her carry on in this manner.[/b]”

Lady Odilie leaned in towards the two, “[b]As long as the boy cares for Morphia then that’s all there is to it.[/b]”

Agron Deacon raised an eyebrow in suspicion, “[b]Given the way he has thrown himself before the Dynasts, it seems as if he’s using our poor daughter.[/b]”

“[b]I’ll go check on her,[/b]” Lady Bavaria said as she stood up, “[b]Excuse me, your majesty. I will be right back.[/b]”

“[b]Of course, Lady Bavaria. See to your family.[/b]” The Dynast King nodded, “[b]Primas, have there been any leads in your investigation at Prometheo?[/b]”

“[b]I’m afraid not, father. Several unidentifiable bodies were recovered from the site, mostly children. We suspect they may have been responsible in the attack somehow.[/b]”

“[b]Children?[/b]” Jack asked, “[b]So you think that the accident was really planned?[/b]”

“[b]It is difficult to know for certain, but it was no mere coincidence that Leonhart Almagest was at Prometheo during the explosion. Someone was trying to strike at the heart of Czenovia, and they were very successful.[/b]”

After a moment of quiet thought, the Dynast King spoke.

“[b]This is private information, my guests, but perhaps it may be of some value to the investigation. You see, Prometheo Labs had begun a series of secretive experiments involving human bodies and Magitechnology. It’s very likely that the bodies you found belonged to those they used as their test subjects.[/b]”

Henry‘s eyes widened in surprise, “[b]You mean you used human beings for some… science experiment!?[/b]”

“[b]If it were only that simple,[/b]” Agron Deacon said, “[b]Foreign interests are attempting to steal Czenovia’s military secrets at every turn. If we do not remain one step ahead of the others, we’re at risk of losing our national security.[/b]”

“[b]Each of those subjects were invaluable. If only one of them had survived…[/b]“ The Dynast king slowly raised his unsteady hand, “[b]Perhaps it is time we call this dinner to a close. I’m not feeling well, and have much to consider for the coming days.[/b]”

The army of servants immediately swarmed the dinner guests, pulling their chairs back and motioning them towards the front door. Jack, still chewing on a dinner roll, felt himself physically pulled out of his seat. He had listened to the King’s words carefully, and wondered if they had some sort of connection to the strange events he had witnessed in Rosengard earlier that morning.

“[b]It was a lovely dinner,[/b]” Lady Odillie said with a bow, “[b]I wish you good health until we meet again, your majesty.[/b]”

“[b]You are always welcome in the Mirror Palace,[/b]” Primas said reassuringly, “[b]Be sure to care for your step-daughter in her time of need. Lady Bavaria is a beautiful, brilliant woman and deserves all the comfort that can be afforded to her.[/b]”

“[b]That she does. Poor dear.[/b]“

“[b]I have no doubt that she will find any number of suitors at her doorstep after she has been given appropriate time to mourn.[/b]”

The King remained at his seat as the others made their way towards the entryway. The group was ushered towards the door, where several carriages were waiting outside. Each of the Deacons and Henry politely thanked the Dynasts for their evening

Henry and the Princess exchanged smiles as he was handed his coat by one of the servants, “[b]It was a pleasure meeting you, Princess Augustine.[/b]”

Princess Augustine curtsied, “[b]The pleasure was all mine, Henry Grimalkin.[/b]”

“[b]I only hope I can see you again.[/b]”

“[b]Bet on it.[/b]”

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/helen-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
Morphia found herself lost in the labyrinthine halls and corridors of the Mirror Palace. One of the servants had given her simple instructions, but somehow a wrong turn had led her to a wing of the royal home not normally seen by outsiders. It was poorly lit, the walls lined with portraits of Dynast royalty long since deceased. It was obvious that this section of the palace was not normally used for entertaining.

She was so upset at Henry, using her invitation to gain favor with The Dynasts. He found himself so entranced by royalty that he had forgotten about her entirely. Morphia wondered if he had only accepted the offer so that he could meet the princess, whose favor he was clearly winning.

In the distance she heard a beautiful, haunting piano melody, the likes of which she never had before. Slowly she found herself pulled to the music, walking through several doorways until she reached a ballroom. The polished marble floors had not seen sunlight in many long years, as enormous curtains covered up the panoramic windows near the ceiling. In the corner of the room was a dark figure, humming along with the song he played on an enormous grand piano.

Morphia, trembling slightly, approached the young man.

“[b]It‘s a beautiful song,[/b]” she said sheepishly, “[b]Did you write it yourself?[/b]”

The young man shook his head, his speech slurred, “[b]My Grandmother wrote it for my… Grandfather. It’s called, ‘Springtime in the Mirror Palace.[/b]’”

“[b]Well I think it’s lovely. My name is Morphia Celios Markham…[/b]”

“[b]I know who you are. Your father is Agron Deacon… he‘s… trying to destroy the monarchy.[/b]”

“[b]What do you think you mean by that?[/b]”

“[b]There is great lust in your father’s eyes, Morphia. Not for the touch of another, but for the touch of power…[/b]”

“[b]And who are you to say such a thing?[/b]”

Morphia reached for the stranger’s shoulder. He turned around to reveal a beautiful young man with long golden hair and striking gray eyes. He had a single scar across his right cheek, which extended up to his eye.

“[b]Prince Augustus![/b]” Morphia said as she collapsed to her knees, “[b]Your highness, I-- I had no idea![/b]”

“[b]Please, do not bow. I am not a prince, but a prisoner within these walls…[/b]”

Morphia felt a firm grip pull her from behind, knocking her to the ground. Standing above her was Helen “Nellie” Almagest, pointing her rifle menacingly at the young woman’s head.

“[b]Morphia![/b]” Helen commanded, “[b]You have no right to be near the prince![/b]”

“[b]She had merely lost her way, Nellie,[/b]” Prince Augustus said dismissively, “[b]There is no… need to frighten her.[/b]”

“[b]Very well, your highness,[/b]“ Nellie nodded, and helped Morphia to her feet, “[b]Let me show you to the door.[/b]”

The two exited the ballroom, closing the doors behind them, when they found Lady Bavaria examining the artwork along the hallway.

“[b]Sister! Have you gotten lost too?[/b]”

“[b]I was merely looking for you. That Henry Grimalkin upset you, didn‘t he?[/b]”

“[b]It‘s nothing to worry about,[/b]” she said as she turned her gaze towards the ballroom, “[b]I feel as if it‘s time to move on from that infatuation, anyhow.[/b]”

Lady Bavaria held onto her sister‘s hand tightly, “[b]Do not worry, Morphia. That bastard child of Anna‘s has made a joke of all of us, and for that he shall pay.[/b]”

Nellie quietly escorted the Deacons to their carriage, the sound of Augustus‘ piano echoing throughout the halls behind them. She wasn‘t sure what to make of her encounter with the mysterious prince, but knew that she would be thinking about him for quite some time.[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/almagest-landmark2.png[/IMG]
[FONT="Georgia"]Landmark 05[/CENTER]

Three days later the entire Almagest Family, the Deacons and the Markhams, the Nords and the Midorahs, the Cornwalls and the Wellingtons, the Board of Magitech Corporation with their families, and even the servants of Rosengard were all gathered to the Falgabird Cemetery to honor the memory of the most influential man in contemporary Czenovia, Leonhart Almagest.

Gadget felt very uncomfortable in the crowd. He stood behind Macey's and Evangeline's chairs in what he considered a ridiculous cerulean outfit with light grey downs in the collar. He couldn't help but to wonder the customs of the aristocracy: each and every one of the people attending the memorial service were dressed in sky blue and bird feathers. Macey had explained that the clothes represented the liberation of the dead person's soul into the sky as a free-roaming bird.

In front of the row of chairs for the grieving relatives and the crowd standing behind them was a large marble monument with the silhouette of Leonhart's head carved into it along with a large bird. There were statues of a woman and four children representing Leonhart's immediate family placed around the headstone.

An ancient man wearing a white cassock, blue feather-trimmed mantle and an elaborative headpiece made from peacock feathers mumbled words to the monument, supported by two younger men in much simpler outfits. Gadget had been told that this was the Archpater of the Czenovian Church of the Holy Bird. The Church's only function was to send the souls of the deceased on their way to their celestial abode. Such ceremonies were unheard of in New Czenoble though, where the Dynasty were considered deities and even worshipped in some homes. The bodies of the dead were transported to the buried in mass graves, since they were no longer useful to the production cycle. What happened to the soul after the death, no one could tell.

But it was all different here. Everywhere in the cemetery were decorative monuments much alike Leonhart's. The grandest of all, standing uphill above the rest of the cemetery, was the Dynastial Mausoleum, the final resting place of the bodies of the twenty Dynast Kings and Queens that had ruled before Mideus Prosperous. The mausoleum was shaped as an enormous phoenix, it's wings spread and it's beak open to sing the Holy Requiem.

The memorial service lasted what felt like hours. After the Archpater had finished, the guests had a chance to pay their respects in front of the monument. Lady Bavaria gave a formal speech expressing her eternal love and loyalty to her late husband. Sir Daedalus muttered a few touching words, while Lady Catherine could speak through her tears.

When the speaches were over, the ceremony was concluded by releasing sixty-five birds of varying species and size to the sky, representing the amount of years that Leonhart Almagest had spent on earth.
[CENTER]~*~*~*~*~*~

[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Gadget followed Macey and Eva out of the Falgabird Cemetery to the steamcars and wagons waiting the guests at the gates. Bavaria was standing at the gate with her sister Morphia and Lady Catherine, thanking the guests for arriving. Gadget left the twins to wait for Vincent to come out, lingering near the gate.

Thus he witnessed what happened when Dame Grimalkin stepped out of the gate with her son Henry. The matron had been crying throughout the whole ceremony, which was very unbecoming of her - and a great contrast to the widow Bavaria, who hadn't shed a tear.

Catherine tried to console Dame Grimalkin. [B]"Oh, Anna! I know Leonhart was very dear to you, you had such a long history together. You have been a great friend to him, so you will always have home in Ros..."[/B]

[B]"Well, [I]actually[/I]"[/B], Bavaria interrupted suddenly. [B]"I have deep respect towards my late husband, but I do not want to deal with his camp whore and bastard son anymore. Anna Grimalkin, I want you and your son to get your belongings and leave Rosengard by the time I get back. And if I ever have to lay my eyes on you again, I will have you locked up for adultery and seduction of a honorable man."[/B]

Dame Grimalkin's tears ceased immediately, as she tried to gather what was left of her dignity after the public humiliation. Henry was rigid and quivering with anger, but his mother pulled him away. Catherine gasped in disbelief.

[B]"But Bavaria, you cannot!"[/B] Catherine uttered in despair, clutching Bavaria's arm.

[B]"This is not a negotiable issue, dear sister-in-law. I must retain my honor"[/B], Bavaria explained calmly. Then her piercing blue eyes noticed Gadget, who was staring her from a short distance. Gadget gulped, but he was saved from a possible confrontation by a familiar voice.

[B]"What's going on here?"[/B] Vincent asked. Light blue didn't match his dark features at all, which made Gadget smile. Quickly he grasped Vincent's hand and started to lead him away from the now crowded gate.

[B]"I'll explain if you just get me away from here"[/B], Gadget said, not daring to take another glance at Lady Bavaria anymore.[/FONT]

[size=1][center] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Henry stood, quivering in anger, though it felt like his body had reacted much faster than his brain - he could hardly comprehend what Bavaria had said. He felt his mother pulling him away, but he had gone numb.

With a sudden realization, he violently tore himself from his mother's grasp, facing Lady Bavaria with uncharacteristically cold eyes. [b]"You can't do this. Rosengard is our [i]home[/i], certainly far longer than it has even been your own!"[/b]

The crowd around them went silent as they watched. Anna desperately tried to pull her son away, to no avail. Bavaria tilted her chin back, staring Henry down with a glare to match his own. [b]"Control yourself, Henry Grimalkin. If you have any respect left for your mother, or Leonhart, you would leave, [i]now.[/i]"[/b]

[b]"[i]Respect[/i]?! You must be joking. My mother cared for this place, years before you arrived, and for years after that! She not only raised me, but she raised half of [i]your[/i] step-children, [i]and[/i] kept Rosengard running! Do not talk to me about [i]respect.[/i]"[/b] Henry spat, his rant earning him quite a few gasps from the crowd.

Bavaria simply smirked, obviously pleased that her plan of revenge was working well enough to get Henry so worked up. [b]"Continue, Henry, please do. Just know that if you go any farther, I shall have you and your [i]mother[/i],"[/b] she glanced sharply at Anna, [b]"forcibly removed."[/b]

[b]"Henry, please, just come with me. You're only making things worse."[/b] Anna pleaded, tearful once more. Henry's resolve seemed to shatter, then.

[b]"This is my home. My family."[/b] His voice cracked, noticeably. Bavaria remained silent, unmoved. Henry looked pleadingly at Morphia, standing by her sister's side, for some sort of help, and was shocked to see her watching, completely apathetic to the situation.

No one else spoke up. There was nothing but silence. Henry never felt so abandoned in his life. His head dropped and his shoulders slumped in defeat.

Anna, noticing her son's sudden weakness, wrapped a strong arm around his shoulders and gently turned him around, guiding him away from the silent crowd.
---

OOC: Sorry it's so short, it's 3'00 in the morning. Just wanted to get Henry's reaction in quick, I'll post again later today with them leaving.
[/size]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/center]
At first Alecia couldn't believe what she was hearing, surely she was mistaken, but as almost no one said a word other than poor Henry something inside her snapped at the unbelievable rudeness of Lady Bavaria. Without even thinking she moved to slap Lady Bavaria and only Macey's quick intervention stopped her as she caught her right hand before she could fully raise it.

"[B]Not now dear, this is hardly the place for it.[/B]"

Alecia turned to look at Macey and then at Alexander who was shaking his head indicating that she should not. She nodded and lowered her hand, turning back to face Lady Bavaria, still furious.

"[B]The only one who is not welcome here is you Grandmother. Never have I seen such a shameful display of utter disrespect for my Grandfather.[/B]"

Lady Bavaria started to reply but Alecia cut her off. "[B]Don't you dare, don't you dare open your mouth again and continue to disgrace Leonhart. Dame Anna has been more of a mother to us than you ever have. I had heard that you were jealous of the friendship they shared but I had believed you to be above such petty behavior and I am sorry to see that I was mistaken.[/B]"

"[B]Don't stick your nose into something that does not concern you.[/B]" Lady Bavaria replied coldly. "[B]This has nothing to do with you Alecia.[/B]"

"[B]Please Alecia,[/B]" Dame Anna pleaded, "[B]Just leave it be.[/B]"

"[B]Mother![/B]" Henry protested.

"[B]I mean it, please, both of you let it go.[/B]"

"[B]I will not![/B]" Alecia declared loudly. "[B]Grandfather would never forgive me if I stood by and did nothing to help people he cared deeply about. He would never behave in such a dishonorable fashion in public.[/B]"

"[B]You should take her advice,[/B]" Lady Bavaria said.

"[B]And you should [I]shut up![/I][/B]" Alecia snapped, causing the people who were gathering to pull back a bit. "[B]I mean it [I]Lady Bavaria[/I],[/B]" She said, dropping the title of Grandmother. "[B]You are without honor and unwelcome here in High Czenoble.

If you insist on following through with this [I]disgraceful[/I] and utterly [I]shameful [/I]display of [I]disrespect[/I], then you leave me with no choice but to extend an invitation to both Dame Anna and Henry to stay with me and Alexander. And you,[/b]" She sputtered a bit with anger. "[b]I expressly forbid you from[I] ever [/I]entering our home.[/B]"

"[B]Alecia,[/B]" Alexander moved to join her but she held her hand up indicating that she wished for him to be quiet.

"[B]We'll discuss this later Alex,[/B]" She said softly, "[B]At the moment we need to go and help Dame Anna and Henry gather their things.[/B]" She looked back at Lady Bavaria who was saying nothing, firm in her resolve to kick out Dame Anna and Henry.

Disgusted Alecia turned her back on everyone and moved to join Dame Anna and Henry in getting into a carriage that was heading towards Rosengard, leaving everyone standing there stunned at her actions. After all, it was rare for Alecia to ever show her temper in such a forceful manner.[I] Oh Grandfather, if only you were still here. [/I] She thought sadly as the door to the carriage closed behind them and the driver left to head for Rosengard.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Gadget took Vincent's hand and led him out to the street, where a number of blue and gold carriages were waiting. The enormous entourage had been used to cart mourners to the funeral grounds and back to Rosengard for the wake.

It now seemed that the wake would be rather small, given Lady Bavaria's outburst. Just as Vincent and Gadget climbed into the nearest carriage, Vincent heard Lady Bavaria talking loudly to her servants as she exited the grounds.

'My lady,' said one of the servants timidly, 'are we still to hold the wake?'

Lady Bavaria spun around and raised an eyebrow. '[i]Of course![/i]' she exclaimed, 'why would I interrupt the wake? All I've done is make sure that Rosengard's resident home wrecker will not be in attendance! I can think of no greater honour for my dear Leonhart.'

Before she stepped into her carriage, Lady Bavaria faced the crowd, which was now milling around the sidewalk. 'And I might say,' she said loudly, 'that [i]anyone[/i] who wishes to dishonour the great Leonhart Almagest is definitely [i]not[/i] welcome!'

And with that, Lady Bavaria disappeared inside her carriage, followed by a sizeable entourage of servants. The door closed and two beautiful white stallions whisked the ornate carriage away down the busy street.

Gadget and Vincent sat in their carriage. Vincent closed the door and Gadget instinctively sat on the seat opposite Vincent.

Vincent patted the spot next to him. 'Someone has to show some love today, after what we've just witnessed,' he said with a smile.

Gadget eagerly obliged. He sat close to Vincent and Vincent rested a gloved hand on Gadget's knee.

As their carriage took off slowly, the pair looked out of the elaborate gold-framed window, which sat on the carriage wall opposite the door. The carriage was enclosed and the window was the only way to see out. Vincent considered that the Almagests may have chosen enclosed carriages for security purposes, as open top carriages might have attracted the wrong attention.

For a while, both Gadget and Vincent peered out of the window and watched the bustling streets of High Czenoble pass. Gadget noticed that the trip was taking slightly longer than usual.

He looked up at Vincent, who was still staring out the window. Gadget noticed Vincent's long brown eyelashes. He studied Vincent's face for a moment before he spoke.

'Vincent, aren't we going to Rosengard?'

Vincent looked down at Gadget and smiled. 'No. Not right now. The wake is being held there and by the sounds of it, a large amount of Almagests will not be welcome. That is a disgrace to Leonhart. Besides, I can't imagine many family members [i]wanting[/i] to spend the afternoon with Bavaria.'

'So, where are we going?' Gadget seemed somewhat excited by the prospect of a surprise journey.

'Well,' Vincent rubbed his chin with a gloved hand, 'I thought we might go back to my apartment for a few hours. Once the so-called "wake" is over, I will take you back to Rosengard. How does that sound?'

Gadget put his hand on Vincent's. 'That sounds excellent,' he said excitedly. 'I'd like to see your home.'

Vincent nodded. 'Besides, we can have dinner there and we can talk. Perhaps it might be a good idea to organise an informal wake away from Rosengard, so that Lady Bavaria isn't involved.'

'Maybe,' said Gadget. 'At least that would give Dame Grimalkin and others a chance to be together for a proper wake and not be harassed.'

The carriage rounded the corner and stopped at the end of a large city block. 'Here we are,' said Vincent. 'I live in the penthouse. I hope you will like it!'

Gadget grinned and looked out the window. The building in front of them was enormous; by far the largest Gadget had seen. 'You live at the top?' he exclaimed.

'Yes, I do,' said Vincent. 'I have extra bedrooms, a shower...whatever you need if you want to change out of your funeral clothes and into something more comfortable.'

Gadget blushed slightly and opened the carriage door.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/img][/center]
[color=navy][size=1]Eva sat beside her twin, wearing a formal navy blue gown throughout the memorial service, refusing to don the black dress again as she had sworn several days ago that she would not give up hope on her father?s survival until a body was produced. Her tears were held at bay as she sat silently, watching and listening to those who spoke. Her eyes were narrowed at Lady Bavaria as she spoke about her father, even if she was technically her Step-mother, there was no way she would be willing to accept that. Her heart ached as she knew her father would wish them all to get along, but there was just ill feeling around her.

After the ceremony was over, Macey and Eva headed toward the transportation to take them back to Rosengard, with Gadget following behind them. When they heard a loud commotion they spun on their heels and headed back in time to hear the rest of Lady Bavaria?s speech against Dame Grimalkin and Henry. Macey dove in in time to intercept Alecia?s slap, though to be honest Eva wanted to do it herself. Dame Grimalkin was more of a mother to the Almagests than Bavaria, and to dishonour her publicly, at her father?s memorial no less, was unacceptable. Admittedly Evangeline had never really liked the matron of the household, but she and Henry were practically family.

They all dispersed after the hostility of the situation, Eva took Macey by the arm and lead her back in the direction they had originally been headed.

[b]?Wait! Where?s Gadget??[/b] Macey asked, seeking his face among the crowd.

[b]?Don?t worry, Ella. I saw him leaving with Vincent.?[/b] she reassured.

The younger of the two nodded and boarded an empty carriage, followed by her sister. The driver closed the door carefully and they set off toward Rosengard. There was silence between them, both caught up in their own thoughts.

[b]?Will you be attending the wake??[/b] Eva questioned quietly. The look she received from Ella was all the answer she needed.

[b]?I believe we need to scan father?s libraries for any books that could be of aid in our quest to cure Gadget.?[/b] Macey suggested. So far they had been using all of their own personal collection of tomes, but it wouldn?t hurt to look into what books their father possessed.

Eva made a small noise of agreement, [b]?We can get on that when we get home. Not like we really have other things to see to.?[/b]

Marie thought about several nights ago when she had taken some tests from Gadget, also getting to know him a bit better. She did mandatory urine and blood samples, but did a regular check up of his bodily functions. Generally his pulse was steady, slightly elated but she had guessed it was fear since he didn?t know her well. His breathing had a slight hitch when he inhaled, she didn?t know the relevance of it, whether it was a genetic problem from birth, whether he had caught it from the environments he?d been in or if it was a result from the experiments. His temperature had also been higher than normal, and she suggested that it was a result from the testing as his repercussions were feverish and spasms. She had shared the information with Macey and together the two compared them to any notes Ella had made during the testing procedures. It was practically the same, though now it had progressed to become more serious.

The door to the carriage opened, revealing that they were in front of Rosengard. Eva hadn?t realised that they had stopped and dismounted, waiting for her sister. The two entered the estate, heading straight to their rooms. She chose to change out of her dress if she was going to be climbing ladders to reach all of her father?s books, instead opting for a soft pair of fawn coloured breeches with a silky soft blue shirt and comfortable boots. She checked in on Ella to see if she was ready, or if she didn?t want to go yet.[/size][/color]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[LEFT][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey slipped into a pair of loose cream colored linen dresses, one slightly torn at the hem, and the other with slightly ragged sleeves. Not that it mattered, considering her hair was still elegantly coiled at the base of her neck and she was wearing a kirtle of all things. Somehow, the twins managed to remain looking stately and noble, even as their arms were full of various books and sheets and Macey had a duplicate of her father's library key stashed in her heavily folded sash. No clambering up and down ladders for her. The two rushed down the stairs and were headed towards the main foyer when a cluster of servants looked over at them and inclined their heads to beckon them over. Eva paused as a lookout for trouble as Macey edged her way over, as much as she could anyway with her hands full. She leaned over, knowing somehow that the servants would be whispering.[/i]

"Lady Ella, we were just wondering if you'd thought of any way to get back at that cow. We heard you talking about it earlier."

"Well...for starters, I'd like you all to make yourselves scarce when the main party comes back home. If you can manage to find tasks far away from Lady Bavaria, that'd be helpful. Perhaps only one of you could be here to greet here. And none of you are to attend the memorial service here until the true Almagests are going to hold their own."

"She comes to what she thinks is her 'ome and there's nary a girl to take her cloak. That'll be a sight worth seeing."

[i]With a conspiratorial wink, Macey went back to her sister as the servants immediately began to divide up tasks that could be best done very far away from the flouncing sniffing would be matron of the house. As they turned a corner, they saw the Lady Bavaria herself stepping down from her carriage, virtually stepping on the brakeman who cordially bowed to her. Apparently he was possessed of some superhuman ability to smile in the face of the devil. But meanwhile the other servants, who had already heard Macey's whispered suggestion had done as she'd asked and vanished into obscure places. Eva and Macey turned their heads, pointedly ignoring Lady Bavaria, when the woman in question swept right up to them, a frown on her face.[/i]

"I would [b]hope[/b] you two girls aren't going to attend your father's service dressed like commoners."

"Well you see Bavaria, neither of us are going to attend another service where you'll be in attendance. And thus we do show our love for our father, which seems to be far more genuine than yours."

[i]And here Eva lowered her voice so only Macey and Bavaria could hear.[/i]

"You selfish gold digging, pompous slut."

[i]Lady Bavaria's face turned a dull blotchy red, and she gripped the edge of her skirt as if it had offended her. She opened her mouth to speak when Macey cut her off with a cold cool voice, one that had made men cower, and boys run for cover.[/i]

"We will say goodbye to our father on our own time and out of your presence. It's not up to you to dictate what constitutes dishonor in a family you're not even descended from. Give yourself airs all you like, but neither of us will ever call you Mother, and nobody in this house will ever have a kind word for you ever again."

[i]Before the startled woman could gather her wits and riposte, Macey and Eva had flounced off in a sparkle of fabrics and smirks, neither of th em fearing the slightest of reprisals. As they made their way to the library, they saw Alecia catching up with them, nearly out of breath.[/i]

"I overheard what you two said to that- that-"

"Call her what she is Alecia."

[i]A servant nearby, polishing bronze statuary called out in nearly perfect timing.[/i]

"A whore to pigs and dogs."

[i]Everyone present giggled, cackled, chortled, or alternately laughed aloud. Macey unlocked the library doors and ushered Alecia in, with Eva slamming them behind after letting several servants sneak in. Once there, Alecia sat down in a chair and Macey began to spread out documents on one of the stately old tables. Eva set down her books with a thump and turned to her niece with a mirthful expression playing about her features.[/i]

"Now then, what brings you to us Alecia?"

"I just wanted to tell you that if you had any idea on what to do on this...situation...I wanted to help. She's no Almagest, she's a disgrace to the family."

"And here I thought I was the disgrace."

[i]Macey's upper lip twitched, as if she was holding back half a gallon of laughter. But it was true; now that Lady Bavaria had publicly disgraced one of her own, no member of the family could ever be genuinely civil to her again.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Catherine Sara was tired in so many ways and to hear her sister-in-law behave so spitefully towards Dame Anna and Henry by making a public scene like that just made her sad. Normally she would have done something, to perhaps intervene when Alecia lost her temper and chewed Bavaria out in front of all the guests, but a part of her agreed with what Alecia said. And so, she said nothing, even though she knew the gossip surrounding Dame Anna and Henry along with the reprimand from Aleica would be all over High Czenoble before the day was over.

As she gathered her skirts and entered one of the waiting carriages to head back to Rosengard, she felt deeply disappointed. She had known that Bavaria was jealous of Dame Anna, but she had honestly thought she was above such petty concerns, after all, the fact that Leonhart had given both Dame Anna and Henry a home meant that he cared for them and on some level expected the rest of the family to accept them. And though some of his children did not care for her, they at least had the decency to not make a public spectacle of themselves.

She had not been back at Rosengard for long when she overheard the exchange between Bavaria, Macey and Eva and once the girls had left and Bavaria realized that Catherine was there she turned to her still angry over what the two of them had just said.

"[B]Surely you're not going to stand by and allow that?[/B]" She said incredulously, making Catherine even more sad.

"[B]It pains me to say this dear, but you brought this upon yourself.[/B]" She ignored Bavaria's startled gasp.

"[B]Not you too Catherine! It is my duty to my love to remove the blight on his family! Surely you can see that![/B]"

Catherine sighed and did the only thing she could, took the expression she often did when a promising student failed when there was no reason for them to have failed. It was a look that even Bavaria recognized as Catherine spoke up in ringing tones of disapproval, her expression stern.

"[B]You said it yourself dear, [I]that anyone who wishes to dishonor the great Leonhart Almagest is definitely not welcome.[/I][/b]" She tossed her own words back into her face. "[b]Alecia was correct, Leonhart would have never, [I]ever [/I]addressed such a concern in public and humiliated someone he cared for. If you truly love him, you would have respected those wishes of his instead of doing what you just did.[/B]"

She held up her hand when Bavaria started to defend her actions. "[B]Please don't, stop embarrassing yourself by clinging to the[I] lie[/I] that you were[I] honorable[/I] when you most certainly were not.[/B]" She shook her head.

"[B]I'm not saying you don't have a right to object, I'm saying that you should have behaved like the lady Leonhart believed you to be and handled it delicately and with common decency.[/B]" She finished with a snap.

"[B]Now if you'll excuse me dear,[/B]" She moved to leave. "[B]I'm afraid you'll have to attend the wake on your own. Out of respect for Leonhart I cannot.[/B]"

Bavaria tried to object, but Catherine ignored her as she headed towards her rooms in Rosengard. She knew that Leonhart would approve and part of her still refused to believe he was dead since they still hadn't found a body. There was another reason as well, if she went to the wake, she was likely to do the same as Alecia had nearly done, slap her for her behavior and that was something she did not want to do.

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison didn’t know who was more surprised, him or Victoria Ann who was standing there, her mouth open as she watched her older sister Alecia lose her temper in public no less. Though that shock was wearing off and as Alecia left he could see the smoldering anger building in Morphia’s eyes as she watched Alecia leave, starting to move in her direction only to halt when Jack put his hand on her shoulder.

“[B]How dare she![/B]” Morphia said angrily towards Aleica. “[B]If anyone is without honor it's that whore Dame Anna who thinks she belongs at Rosengard.[/B]”

“[B]Not here Morphia, we’ll take care of this once we return to Rosengard.[/B]” His voice was soft, but not soft enough to keep Harrison and Victoria Ann from hearing it as they weren’t that far from where they were standing.

He was wondering what Jack meant when he nearly jumped out of his skin when his father Daedalus grabbed both of them by the shoulders. “[B]Come along you two.[/B]” He steered both of them to one of the carriages that was waiting, taking a moment to see to Harriet first before climbing in with them.

“[B]I don’t understand uncle Daedalus, why does Grandmother hate Dame Anna and Henry?[/B]”

“[B]Don’t worry about it dear,[/B]” Harriet said kindly, looking over to Daedalus before looking back. “[B]Sometimes when you lose a loved one, you say things you don’t mean.[/B]”

“[B]Oh please mother,[/B]” Harrison snorted. “[B]Everyone knows how much Bavaria hates Dame Anna and Henry.[/B]”

“[B]And that will be enough,[/B]” Daedalus interjected. “[B]This sort of thing can wait until after Leonhart’s wake.[/B]”

Both Harrison and Victoria Ann looked down and mumbled a [I]yes sir[/I], saying nothing else on the trip back to Rosengard, simply getting out and heading towards the house once they arrived while Daedalus hung back to help Harriet out of the carriage.

Bavaria had already arrived and was clearly angry about something as Harrison and Victoria saw both Jack and Morphia moving to join her after exiting their carriage. Curious as to what was going on Harrison and Victoria Ann edged close enough to overhear what was being said.

“[B]Surely you’re not going to say nothing sister. Granddaughter or not Alecia had no right to speak to you like that.[/B]” Morphia said coldly.

“[B]It can’t be helped,[/B]” Bavaria said, “[B]That home wreaker has obviously poisoned their minds against me, once she’s gone it will sort itself out.[/B]”

“[B]It’s still wrong sister, as his widow you have every right to get rid of that woman.[/B]” Jack said.

They were moving to head towards where the wake would be held when a shrill voice called out, “[B]She’s not a home wrecker! You are![/B]”

Startled everyone turned to see Victoria Ann heading toward the group, a look of anger on her tiny face, and to the surprise of everyone there, especially Harrison, she outright kicked Bavaria in the shins.

“[B]I hate you![/B]” Victoria Ann screamed only to grunt as Harrison grabbed her and pulled her back.

“[B]Victoria, don’t do that.[/B]” He said with a pained expression, even though he would have loved nothing better than to do the same.

“[B]You horrid little brat![/B]” Morphia started to move forward but Jack put his hand on her shoulder.

“[B]She’s just a kid,[/B]” He told her before turning to Victoria Ann. “[B]Don’t stick your nose into matters between adults kiddo, you can’t possibly understand what you are saying here.[/B]”

“[B]Please behave more like a lady Victoria Ann,[/B]” Bavaria said a bit coldly, limping a tiny bit where Victoria had kicked her.

“[B]That’s a laugh! You telling me to behave like a lady when you don’t even know what the word means![/B]” Victoria snarled as she tried to pry herself free of Harrison’s grasp.

“[B]That will be enough![/B]” A loud voice boomed, startling all of them.

With a guilty start Victoria Ann shook herself free of Harrison and turned to see Daedalus standing there, a look of displeasure on his face.

“[B]All of you will save this discussion until after Leonhart’s wake! Now move![/B]” He started to usher the children towards where the wake would be but Victoria Ann burst into tears and turn and ran away. A moment latter Harrison gave him a pained look, muttered a [I]sorry dad[/I] under his breath before he too took off after Victoria Ann.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/img][/center][size=1][indent]Fauntleroy nursed a glass of wine as he and his sister Beatriste welcomed guests into the doors of Rosengard. Though Macey and Eva had so clearly protested the event, it seemed inappropriate that guests would visit the estate to mourn Leonhart without at least some of his children present. Fauntleroy had always despised Bavaria, even moreso after the morning’s events, but knew better than to leave Beatriste by herself with an army of mourners. Besides, the wine cellar had just been fully restocked for the occasion and he couldn't stand to see the priceless bottles go to waste.

Beatriste wore a navy blue gown, embroidered with the family crest on her skirt. As each guest entered she embraced them tightly, thanking them for their attendance and repeating one of a handful of loving anecdotes about her father. Fauntleroy merely nodded, slowly drowning himself in a buttery chardonnay.

Across the hall, Lady Bavaria could be seen mingling the numerous visitors and dignitaries. She had made a point of avoiding Fauntleroy and Beatriste following her heated confrontations with the rest of the family; the two only hoped that it would stay that way.

“[b]I think we’ve greeted just about every person in High Czenoble,[/b]” Fonty said with a sight, “[b]If we let anyone else in, Mount Grail is going to tip over.[/b]”

“[b]It certainly seems like Bavaria excluded no one. There are so many faces I don’t recognize…[/b]”

Lector Moebius approached the two, carrying a small package under his arm. He bowed politely, and entered the Grand Hall.

“[b]Who was that?[/b]” Beatriste whispered.

“[b]Another leach, I think. Bavaria has turned this wake into a tasteless social function….[/b]”

"[b]Let's just get this day over with and try to move on.[/b]"

Out of the corner of his eye, Fauntleroy noticed Daedalus and Harriet walking by. Harriet’s eyes were bright red, no doubt the result of a morning of tears. Daedalus’, however, remained untouched. On that day he wore the same military coat that he had during the Mine War, a quiet tribute to his brother.

Harriet clutched onto Fauntleroy‘s arm tightly, “[b]It would have meant so much to your father that two you be here today.[/b]”

Fauntleroy and Beatriste nodded, “[b]Thank you, Aunt Harriet.[/b]”

There was an uncomfortable pause.

“[b]You know, Fauntleroy. When your mother gave birth to you so many years ago, it was the proudest day of your father’s life. Leonhart had always wanted a son to carry on his duties, and thought that you might be just-- kaff![/b]" Daedalus began coughing violently, startling the group.

"[b]Are you alright, dear?[/b]"

He clutched his chest tightly, "[b]I'll be fine, Harriet. The stress of the day has gotten to me.[/b]"

"[b]Let's get you some water first at least--[/b]"

"[b]No. The boy needs to hear this.[/b]"

Harriet nodded, and Daedalus continued with his story.

"[b]But as time went on, it was obvious that you were… [I]different[/I], it broke his heart. I remember speaking to him about it in the labs several times. No matter how hard he tried to find a place for you in his world, you seemed to fight just as hard to get away from it. Ultimately, though, he cared a great deal for you, even if you no longer spoke. If my brother had more time, I know Leonhart would have found a way to show that.[/b]”

“[b]I’m sorry we didn’t have more time.[/b]”

“[b]That’s how the wheels of change operate sometimes,[/b]” the old man replied, “[b]I know this may not be the best time to offer, but as Leonhart’s oldest male heir you have a spot waiting for you on the Magitech Board. I‘d like you to visit the offices with me, and see if we can‘t find a home for you there.[/b]”

“[b]I’ll certainly consider the offer. Thank you.[/b]”

“[b]Please do.[/b]”

With that Daedalus moved on to greet the rest of the crowd, Harriet following closely behind. With his uncle’s unexpected offer, Fauntleroy knew that he would have much to consider during the wake.

Beatriste’s eyes began to water, “[b]You know, I’m really going to miss him Fonty.[/b]”

“[b]Me too, Bea. Me too.[/b]”[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harriet-chronicle.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]Moving into a side-room off Rosengard's main lounge, Daedalus collapsed roughly into a chair, gripping his chest and groaning harshly through gritted teeth. Harriet quickly locked the door, before attending to her husband, carefully unbuttoning his military tunic and placing an attentive hand against his bare chest. He watched, wiping the blood that had come up with his handkerchief as she closed her eyes.

"[b]How bad ?[/b]"

"[B]It's not good Daedalus. The condition seems to be spreading.[/b]"

As Harriet's eyes opened, Daedalus could see fresh tears threatening to spill down her face. He pushed as much warmth as he could into his own expression, drawing her into a close embrace. Wiping the vestigial droplets from her face, Daedalus kissed his beloved's forehead before quietly speaking.

"[b]We knew this was going to happen. It was only ever a question of when. I suspect the stresses of the last few days have aggravated it, hopefully in time it will return to it's previous state.[/b]"

"[b]I hope you're right... I...I couldn't lose you Daedalus... I love you too much.[/b]"

"[b]I love you too Harriet... I guess I'm selfish, but the best thing about this... I won't have to know the pain of losing you.[/b]"

She laughed through her whimper, striking him gently against the chest. Reaching into her dress, she withdrew a phial of silvery liquid and handed it to him. He regarded it, scowling before unscrewing the top and downing the potion in a single gulp. After a moment, Daedalus began to splutter painfully, doubling over himself into her awaiting arms, he held there, his breathing becoming more and more controlled, until at last he managed a few hoarse words.

"[b]...I swear...[/b]" He coughed again, clearing his throat roughly. "[b]...this cure is worse than the condition.[/b]"

Daedalus knew she rolled her eyes at the comment, she always did, every time he complain about it. Unfortunately his complaints, like his treatments were coming more and more often. Redoing his uniform, Daedalus stood out of the chair and began to brush out the creases as though nothing had happened. Harriet continued to observe him quietly, noting the improvement in respiration, she gave him a small smile as he caught her expression.

"[b]What am I going to do with you ? I'd recommend that you retire for the evening... but I know you're not going to do that, are you ?[/b]"

"[b]Believe me, this one time, I wouldn't mind it. Unfortunately, with Bavaria and the children on a collision course, I'll have to try and moderate it... Things are already getting out of hand.[/b]"

"[b]You're right... I've never seen things so bad.[/b]"

Taking a shaky first step towards the door, Daedalus quickly regained his sense of balance and offered Harriet his hand to lead her back to the 'function' . He would have to sort things out, there was no other choice. Inwardly he grimaced...if his condition didn't improve, and Harriet's deteriorated... all hell would break lose. He would talk to Bavaria privately, calmly, that much he was certain of. But right now, he would simply preserve some of the remaining dignity of his beloved brother.[/size][/indent]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Even though she did not intend to change her stance or take back what she had said, Alecia was already regretting her outburst. Even if it were true, it still made her no better than Lady Bavaria, creating a stir and possibly humiliating her in the process. It made her guilty of the same disrespect that she had accused her of doing. She couldn't help but sigh just a tiny bit as she wondered why Macey and Eva had locked themselves up in the library.

"[B]Now what's that face for dear?[/B]" Macey inquired. "[B]We'll take care of that disgrace, you'll see.[/B]"

"[B]That's not it, even if what I said was true, I did the very same thing that she did to Dame Anna and Henry.[/B]"

"[B]Rubbish![/B]" Macey said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "[B]Now instead of dwelling on that nonsense how about you help me out with a project I'm working on?[/B]"

"[B]Are you sure sister?[/B]" Eva spoke up, giving her an odd glance.

"[B]Of course I'm sure, Alecia's a potionist as well and if we are to find a cure, another take or prospective on it would be helpful.[/B]"

"[B]What are you talking about?[/B]" Alecia interjected, her frustration momentarily forgotten from the shock of Macey actually asking someone to help her. She had always been so secretive about her work, never accepting anyone's help.

"[B]Well you see, it has to do with Gadget.[/B]" Macey started to explain.

It took her a little while since Alecia kept interrupting her with questions but when she was finally done Alecia stood up and started pacing back and forth, shaking her head as if she couldn't believe what she was hearing. It was utter madness! How could the Dynast government even think of doing such a thing?

She opened her mouth intending to protest only to halt at the look in Macey's eyes, it was clear to her that she wanted to undo what had been done. She closed her mouth and nodded.

"[B]Very well, I don't know how much I can help with this but I will try. There is one thing that I think we should consider though, since so many subjects died, you might want to isolate why Gadget survived instead of simply focusing on a cure.[/B]"

"[B]In other words stabilize the reaction instead of attempting to get rid of it?[/B]" Eva spoke up from where she was sitting at a chair, looking through a book.

"[B]Exactly, considering what was done, it may not be possible to reverse it, but if you can find out why he survived, it just might lead to finding a way to stabilizing it.[/B]" Alecia shrugged. "[B]It's worth looking into.[/B]"

Before any of them could say anything else a knock was heard at the door and the sound of muffled crying could be heard. Alecia was up in a flash, opening the door to see what was going on.

"[B]I'm sorry miss,"[/B] the servant who was holding a crying Victoria Ann by the shoulders. "[B]I didn't know where to take her since the others are at the wake.[/B]"

Alecia reached out and gathered Victoria into her arms. "[B]It's alright thank you.[/B]" She steered Victoria over to one of the chairs while Macey closed the door once again and then once Victoria calmed down a little bit she asked her what had happened.

"[B]That horrible woman was so mean to Dame Anna and Henry,[/B]" She said through her tears, looking up at Alecia who was sitting next to her, her arms around her.

Victoria's face became stern. "[B]So I kicked her but Uncle Daedalus told us to stop so I ran away.[/B]" A moment later Victoria Ann's tears turned to a look of bewilderment as the others laughed out loud.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
He tried to find Victoria Ann, but after a short while, Harrison figured he must have taken a wrong turn as she was no where to be found. "[B]That little idiot! Running off like that![/B]" He muttered, unwilling to admit that it was because he was worried about her being off somewhere crying by herself.

He couldn't help but chuckle over what she had done though, he knew all about the back talk in regards to his so called Aunt Bavaria. About how she loathed Dame Anna and Henry and much like that fool Lector Moebius she was apparently not above being hateful and spiteful. She could have easily dealt with that in private instead of making a public issue of it only for the purpose of humiliating them. Even if what she said was correct, it wasn't Henry's fault.

"[B]If I was in charge, I'd kick her out![/B]" Harrison snarled in frustration as he began to wonder what he should do, by now the wake was in full swing and he still had not found Victoria Ann.

"[B]Young Master,[/B]" A female voice said, causing Harrison to turn sharply in surprise. "[B]You need to get to the wake, I believe your father is looking for you.[/B]"

Harrison just groaned, "[B]I need to find Victoria Ann first,[/B]" He started to explain but the young servant finished for him.

"[B]Oh no need to worry about that, we took her to the library, she's with Alecia, Macey and Eva.[/B]"

"[B]Good,[/B]" Harrison said as he turned to head for the library only to halt when the servant caught his left sleeve. He looked back, surprised that they had stopped him.

"[B]Please, I know that Lady Bavaria is hardly fit to even grace Rosengard with her presence,[/B]" the servant said with a sneer. "[B]But you can't let her get the best of you and your father would appreciate it if you showed up. Do it for him.[/B]" They let go of his sleeve.

Harrison looked at them for a moment and then sighed. "[B]Fine, just make sure Victoria Ann is taken care of.[/B]"

"[B]Of course![/B]"

With another sigh he headed for the main room where the people would be gathering for the wake. [I]What I'd rather do is kick her like Victoria Ann did. [/I]He thought as he entered the room, trying to hide his distaste at what was obviously more of a tasteless social function instead of a wake.

"[B]Ah so there you are my boy.[/B]" A voice boomed out as a hand grasped his shoulder. Harrison turned to see Lector Moebius standing there.[I] What the hell is he doing here? Who the hell invited him?[/I] He was trying to figure out what to say when he wanted to tell the man to go to hell when he was saved from needing to say anything by his father's voice.

"[B]If you'll excuse us, I need to talk to my son.[/B]" He said coldly causing Moebius to stammer out a brief [I]of course[/I] and scurry away.

Harrison turned to face his father and paused at how he looked, noting how he seemed much paler. "[B]What's the matter with you? You look like you're coming down with something.[/B]"

"[B]I'm fine Harrison,[/B]" Daedalus shrugged it off. "[B]Now what I wanted to talk to you about is setting up some time for me to instruct you personally.[/B]"

[I]What the?[/I] Harrison was startled. [I]First the hug and now this? Since when did father have time to do anything with me?[/I] He hadn't realized that he had gone completely still and silent until Daedalus spoke up again.

"[B]Well? Would you like to do that?[/B]"

"[B]Uh...[/B]" Harrison stammered a bit. "[B]Yes. If you have time that is.[/B]"

"[B]I'll make time.[/B]" Daedalus assured him, leaving Harrison to wonder just what was going on that would prompt him to actually make time for him. He had never done so before. It was, to say the least, unsettling.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackavatar.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/donner-avatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/blair-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]
[size=1][indent]A few hours had passed and the crowd was slowly fading away. It was a quiet affair, save for the gossip of Lady Bavaria’s outburst earlier in the day. Despite this, she remained as strong, confident and perfect as always. She had Jack at her side, and slowly approached Beatriste and Fauntleroy from across the room.

“[b]Oh no,[/b]” Fonty said nervously, “[b]She’s headed this way.[/b]”

Beatriste rolled her eyes, “[b]Please don’t turn this into a spectacle. Just say a few kind words and move on.[/b]”

Before he had a chance to escape, Lady Bavaria grabbed tightly onto his hand.

“[b]Hello Fauntleroy.[/b]”

“[b]Oh! Hello. How are you keeping?[/b]”

“[b]Fine, thank you,[/b]” she said with a smug grin, “[b]I’ve decided that I’ll be moving into the estate beginning tomorrow. I certainly hope that we can live peacefully alongside one another.[/b]”

Beatriste narrowed her eyes, “[b]But what of the Deacon home in Thorinine?[/b]”

“[b]There was always one great obstacle keeping me from this estate, but now that she and her child are gone I’d very much like to stay here. I've asked my siblings to join me, of course...[/b]”

Jack laughed as he patted Fauntleroy on the back, “[b]Kind of a big surprise, isn’t it Fonty?[/b]”

“[b]Quite…[/b]” Fauntleroy stared down at his empty glass, “[b]If you’ll excuse me, I believe my drink needs some freshening up.[/b]”

"[b]Sure thing,[/b]" Jack replied, "[b]I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of one another these days anyway.[/b]"

"[b]So it would seem.... hm...[/b]"

Each servant was armed with a small bar at their disposal, but the news of Lady Bavaria moving in required something truly special. It was time to head to the cellar and steal some of his father’s private reserve. After all, it wouldn’t be doing him any good from beyond the grave.

The prospect of living with Lady Bavaria was horrifying, but even worse was the prospect of abandoning Rosengard. [I]She has no right to throw her weight around,[/I] he thought to himself as he walked down a poorly lit, marble staircase, [I]My father was just buried and the Deacons are already stomping across his grave…[/I]

Surprisingly the long, narrow hallway leading was filthy. A trail of gray dust caked the floor, leading into the closed door of the cellar. Fauntleroy wiped a bit of the floor with his gloved finger and inspected the substance: gunpowder? He also found a simple scrap of paper curled up along the floor…
[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/poemschronicle.png[/IMG]
[b][font=garamond][size=4]Landmark 06[/font][/size][/center][/b]
“[b]We need to hurry before the guests depart,[/b]” a female voice said from the cellar.

Another unfamiliar voice agreed, “[b]There is no rush, my love. The fools upstairs will be drinking for hours.[/b]”

"[b]I only wish we didn't have to hurt any innocents, in placing another bomb...[/b]"

Fauntleroy opened the door a hair, enough to see a man and a woman preparing a bizarre mix of powder and potions. While he wasn’t certain of the compound, he knew for of its’ alchemical origins. Something strange was going on in Rosengard, and with a few drinks inside of him already Fauntleroy was ready to stop it. He bravely threw open the door, startling the two inside.

“[b]Who are you two, and what are you doing in my wine cellar?[/b]”

The woman turned to her counterpart nervously, “[b]They’ve found us, Donnor![/b]”

“[b]It’s just a boy…[/b]“ the strange man said with a crooked grin, “[b]I can take care of this.[/b]”

“[b]Donnor, don’t. Please![/b]”

The man withdrew a large pistol from his jacket and aimed it squarely at Fauntleroy’s chest. Before the Almagest could say a word the weapon fired, sending a bullet through his shoulder and knocking him to the ground. Fauntleroy lay helpless in pain as they escaped, desperately calling for help from the partygoers up above.[/size][/indent]