OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
The Chimera Cup was, as always, quite the event. There were always accidents and ruthlessness among the jockey's and this year was no exception. After the excitement of the first accident and one of Gustave's own flying Chimera's nearly crashing into the Marquee, his remaining airborne contestant had shocked Hugo Black and the Dynasts by winning the Air Cup. Something that all Chimera enthusiasts knew would not go over well. Hugo Black was a sore loser, even more so than the Dynasts were. Which was probably why he had been chosen since Black was known for doing anything to secure a win.

It was with great reluctance that the spectators finally tore themselves away from the Chimera Circuit. Heading home to spend the rest of the evening gossiping over the unexpected win by Gustave Achard. After all, for someone other than the Dynasts own jockey to win was practically unheard of. It wouldn't matter that as usual they had secured the Ground Cup, not getting both would be the talk of the city for days to come. And Alexander, as he and Alecia got out of the carriage that had taken them to their home, couldn't forget the barely concealed look of anger on the faces of the Heirs.

Like everyone else, Alexander knew all about the politics behind the Chimera Cup. But he had never been close enough to really see it. And though he had found the races fascinating, at the same time he couldn't help but be a little disgusted by the poor sportsman ship on the part of the Dynasts own personal jockey. Alexander put it out of mind as he finished helping Alecia out of the carriage and paid the driver for his time. He had no sooner turned than an unexpected voice addressed him.

"[B]There you are, I was beginning to wonder if you were coming home or not![/B]"

Alexander turned to see his older brother, Thomas Madison leaning against the front door to their home. He pushed off with a grin and came down the steps to greet both of them.

"[B]I swear, you get prettier all the time Alecia.[/B]" He said with a wink after kissing her on the cheek in greeting.

"[B]And you never change Tom.[/B]" Alecia said with a laugh. "[B]So what brings you to High Czenoble? Did you attend the Chimera Cup?[/B]"

Thomas shrugged. "[B]Sort of, it's kind of a bit too expensive for my tastes. What I really came here for was to talk to Alex. I don't suppose you'd mind if I steal him for a bit? There's a pub where we can get a drink and not bore you to death with guard business.[/B]"

Alecia looked to Alexander who shrugged, indicating he had no idea what was going on. "[B]I suppose so, I probably should head over to check on Fauntleroy since I'm sure he went to Rosengard instead of the Eshe Rehema like he was suppose to.[/B]"

She smiled and reached up with her right hand, placing it on Alexander's cheek before giving him a light kiss. "[B]Don't be to long alright?[/B]"

"[B]I won't.[/B]" He promised as she turned and left to head for Rosengard, as soon as she was out of sight he turned to Thomas.

"[B]What could possibly be so important that you couldn't wait for me to come to New Czenoble tomorrow?[/B]"

"[B]Nothing really,[/B]" Thomas shrugged again as the two of them headed down the street. "[B]I came to see the Races for a change and found out that for the likes of me, they really are too damn expensive. The price of a seat is absolutely absurd.[/B]"

"[B]Not to mention the price of a train ticket.[/B]" Alexander gave him a knowing look. "[B]You've never been interested in the races before, what's going on? Is there something back home I should know about?[/B]"

"[B]Easy there![/B]" Thomas laughed. "[B]You don't think I wore my guard uniform for nothing do you? I told them I had business with you so I didn't have to purchase a train ticket.[/B]"

Alexander sighed. "[B]Tom, don't pull stunts like that, you'll only get yourself in trouble if you abuse your station as a member of the Guard.[/B]"

"[B]Nonsense,[/B]" Thomas waved his hand dismissively as they finally came to the establishment in question, entering the doors and then angling for one of the seats back in a corner where they could talk in private. After taking a moment to order a couple of ale's Thomas's expression became more serious.

"[B]I'll get straight to the point brother,[/B]" he paused to smile at the serving girl as she set their drinks on the table and then turned back to Alexander once she had left, picking up his glass and taking a sip.

"[B]I came to tell you to steer clear of New Czenoble and getting involved in the Underdogs. It's trouble that you don't need, believe me.[/B]"

Alexander choked a bit on his drink, setting it down before he responded. "[B]What are you talking about?[/B]" He looked to see if it was yet another one of Thomas's pranks, but for once he looked utterly serious. [I]How could he even know about that? I haven't told anyone about what Jonathan Grants said![/I]

"[B]You can play that way if you wish.[/B]" Thomas leaned forward, lowering his voice even more. "[B]But I know that you've been asked to join the Underdogs. It's my fault really. For commenting on what an honest and decent guy you are. If I had known it would be taken seriously enough for someone to actually approach you, I would have kept my mouth shut.[/B]"

Thomas finished off his drink and sighed. "[B]I'm sorry little brother, you have no idea how sorry I am. As much as I support the cause, at the same time, you're too damn honest in my opinion and the last thing I want is to see you caught up in this mess.[/B]"

"[B]Are you trying to tell me that...[/B]" Alexander shook his head, how could this be? His own brother was a member as well? At that moment he felt like someone had smacked him upside the head.

"[B]Yes. I am.[/B]" Thomas leaned back a bit. "[B]Stay in High Czenoble, steer clear of the Underdogs. Even if you've married into one of the wealthiest families here, some of us are smart enough to see that Alecia is nothing like the others. Kind and compassionate. Unlike that cold hearted bitch Lady Bavaria.[/B]"

"[B]Tom.[/B]" Alexander protested, not that he liked Lady Bavaria, but rather that his voice has raised a bit. [I]I had no idea that people disliked her other than some of the Almagests.[/I]

"[B]Are you actually trying to defend that whore? You should hear the gossip! Everyone knows that her late husband is barely in the grave and she's already got an eye on becoming the next queen![/B]" He laughed. "[B]She's a gold digging little slut and everyone knows it.[/B]"

"[B]That's not it. You need to lower your voice before you attract unwanted attention.[/B]" Alexander said in a pained voice.

"[B]Fair enough[/B]." Thomas grinned and then became serious again. "[B]Anyway, I should get going if I want to catch the last train back to New Czenoble.[/B]" He stood up at the same time Alexander did. "[B]Just keep in mind what I said okay? I don't want to see you getting yourself killed.[/B]"

Alexander just nodded as his brother turned and left the establishment. And then when he realized that he was just standing there thinking... he left a tip on the table and left to head back to Rosengard to see if Alecia was done checking on Fauntleroy yet.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/blair-avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/donner-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[FONT="Georgia"]After miles of walking in endless tunnels, descending stone staircases and climbing down rusty ladders, the reunited Starks family stopped for a break. They sat on fallen pillars, and Donner passed on a waterskin.

Gadget examined his parents with his eyes. They both looked relatively young, but their faces reflected a hard life filled with violence and misery.

[B]"We weren't followed. Will you be missed soon, kid?"[/B] Donner asked gruffly.

[B]"No, not soon. They... I mean, he won't know where I went"[/B], Gadget explained. The face of Vincent Achard haunted his mind. The memory of the beard scraping his chin as they kissed, the strong hands carrying him, the warmth of his embrace...

[B]"What on earth were you doing in High Czenoble anyway? In the Chimaera Circuit out of all the places!"[/B] Blair wondered.

[B]"It's a long story, really"[/B], Gadget tried to explain. [B]"Until a week ago I was still in New Czenoble, locked away in some facility. They did... experiments with me. But the place was attacked, and this nice lady took me to the safety of her own home up in High Czenoble."[/B]

Gadget was hesitant to mention the name of the Almagests, fully aware that his parents had tried to explode Rosengard just the previous night. He had to be careful with the two, since if they would start to think that he was a puppet of the Almagests, they would kill him despite the fact that he was their son.

[B]"You were in that horrible place?"[/B] Blair gasped. [B]"Are you telling us that you survived what they did to those innocent people down there? Gadget, it was [I]us[/I] who attacked the Prometheo Laboratories. We wanted to save the workers who were imprisoned there, but all we found were corpses. Piles of corpses twisted by agony and pain, with strange marks on their skins."[/B]

Blair buried her face to her hands, as if trying to cover her eyes from the grotesque vision.

[B]"We heard from a reliable source that the Dynast King, cursed be his name, was trying to build an army of superhumans to defend his shriveling pride"[/B], Donner told, and spat on the floor. [B]"They used that damned magitechnology on you, didn't they? 'Project Alchimaera', they called it. Kid, they were trying to make you a human chimaera!"[/B]

Gadget gulped audibly. He was pretty certain that Macey and the other had succeeded in their trial.

[B]"But no matter, they will all pay for their crimes"[/B], Donner continued. His face was distorted by a sinister grin. [B]"Kid, you were lucky you ran into your folks now, because soon you would've been obliterated with the rest of those tyrants!"[/B]

[B]"What do you mean?"[/B] Gadget whispered in terror. The thought of losing Vincent and Macey and the rest of those kind people who were trying to help him was intolerable.

[B]"Darling, he's not ready yet"[/B], Blair said suddenly. [B]"Gadget-dear, we will tell you when the time is right. Just so you know, we are holding all the aces now. We have Leonhart Almagest, and that will ensure the victory of the honest people of New Czenoble."[/B]

Gadget couldn't help but to gasp. So the Almagest patriarch was still alive after all![/FONT]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

Vincent sat behind his desk blankly. His office, which sat at the opposite end of the hall to Gaul Rosier's, was nondescript. He found it difficult to concentrate after the events of recent days.

The silence was broken by Gaul's footsteps. He made a kind of hobbling sound and his sharp leather shoes click-clacked on the shiny wooden flooring. When he entered Vincent's office, he looked rather unconcerned - Vincent was half expecting Gaul to be furious over the security break down at the Circuit earlier in the day.

Gaul casually sat down in the chair opposite Vincent's desk. 'So,' he murmured, 'I hear this morning was quite an event.'

'You could say that, Sir,' replied Vincent cautiously. 'It was supposed to be the most secure place in all of Czenovia - we had promised patrons that they were safer at the Circuit than anywhere else in the country. And yet, somehow, they got in...'

Gaul snickered. 'And they achieved nothing.'

'Achieved nothing?' balked Vincent. 'I wouldn't quite say that. They caused a great deal of trouble.'

Gaul looked over his glasses at Vincent. 'Really? My reports tell me that one jockey fell off her Chimaera due to an accident. And one of your cousin's Chimaera crash-landed into a stall - but this had nothing to do with the Und--'

Gaul shuddered. 'I mean, it had nothing to do with criminals. It's part of the normal ebb and flow of the Cup.'

Vincent didn't know what to say. He was amazed at Gaul's calm demeanor.

'Someone went missing,' said Vincent. He did not want to name Gadget, for fear of bringing him to Gaul's attention.

Gaul raised an eyebrow. 'Missing? Hmph,' he shifted in his seat awkwardly. 'The list of the missing seems to be growing. I think it is time we elevate our response.'

'We have imposed a curfew in New Czenoble and we've amassed Guard forces in High Czenoble,' said Vincent. 'What more can we do?'

'Numbers alone are not what we need,' said Gaul casually. 'We need to know the causes of this movement. We need to seek out its leaders and bring them to justice; preferably in a public forum, for all to see.'

'So you want to catch the Starks?'

Gaul shuddered again. Their infamous names seemed to make him uncomfortable.

'The Starks, yes,' he said quickly. 'But also, the movement's other leaders. Do you really think such a large movement could be controlled by only two people? Ridiculous! It must take a broad network of co-conspirators to even attempt to challenge the Guard's authority.'

Vincent quietly doubted this. It was entirely possible for the Underdogs to be a small movement, especially as they were underground. The Guard had great numbers and strength, but they were a force intended for general public obedience and, on occasion, for fighting wars. Fighting a subversive internal group was not their specialty.

More importantly, the Guard had so far achieved nothing in Vincent's eyes. Nobody had been "brought to justice" and the curfews had not made anyone safer - all they had done was anger the New Czenobles. It was not a good policy but from the relative tranquility of the Guard HQ, it didn't matter.

Vincent also couldn't help but consider the pressing feeling that many Guard members were not even particularly interested in the current situation. It seemed to Vincent that fewer and fewer officers respected the word of Gaul Rosier. He was now a less imposing figure. In fact, he was increasingly coming across as a man desperate to maintain control, when that control was so obviously slipping from his grasp.

'So,' said Vincent finally, 'what do you want me to do? Sitting here will not accomplish anything.'

Gaul nodded enthusiastically. 'Yes, well, I think it's time to move things to the next level. I'm sending you to New Czenoble. I no longer believe that our local officers there are capable of doing what's needed - none of them have the right investigative skills. I want you and your assistant to go and find out what you can. You'll need to report back to me regularly.'

Vincent knew this day would come. It was not entirely unwelcome, though; he needed to get out of High Czenoble. He needed to get back into his work. At the very least, it would distract him from pressing personal matters. At the very most, he might find Gadget.

Vincent stood up and shook Gaul's hand. 'I will have Audrey prepare everything for our journey and we will leave today.'

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]
[size=1][indent]Fauntleroy rested in his bed as he carefully sorted through a large stack of papers that had been waiting for him. Being the most social member of the Almagest family tree, he found himself inundated with letters of condolence from hundreds of Czenovians that he had never even met before. It was a comforting thought to know that so many strangers cared, but it would take much more than that for the small hole in his shoulder to stop stinging. He only hoped that Alecia had forgotten about his promise to return to the hospital after the races.

There was a knock on the door to his quarters. Fauntleroy winced. “[b]Come in![/b]”

The door slowly opened to reveal Daedalus, clearly exhausted from a long day at the races.

“[b]Oh, Uncle. Hello! Has Nellie returned to Rosengard yet?[/b]”

“[b]I’m afraid not. However Dawlish has promised me that he would stay up late tonight, and wake me as soon as she comes home.[/b]”

Fauntleroy nodded “[b]She's a grown woman and a member of the Guard. I’m sure she can take care of herself.[/b]”

“[b]Perhaps so. But I’m not here to discuss my daughter with you...[/b]”

Daedalus locked eyes with his nephew for a moment, sending a chill down the young man’s spine.

“[b]We did not have much time to speak earlier,[/b]” He said sternly, “[b]But I want to know what you think you plan on doing with Artemis Air Transports’ offer…?[/b]”

“[b]Oh, that? I had scheduled a meeting with Meredyne Artemis. We‘ll discuss her intentions over some drinks… I had planned to talk to you about it when I had more information.[/b]”

“[b]Artemis wants to tear Magitech apart piece by piece. You‘d be a fool to even speak with them.[/b]”

“[b]I’d be a fool [I]not[/I] to! Do you honestly think I’m capable of running this company in your stead? Something needs to change and I‘m merely willing enough to explore our options.[/b]”

“[b][i]In my stead?[/i][/b]”

“[b]Please. That’s not what I meant, Uncle--[/b]”

“[b]I know exactly what you meant.[/b]” Daedalus replied coldly.

There was a moment of silence before Fauntleroy spoke, “[b]I didn't mean to upset you with this news, Uncle. I respect your opinion, but you know as well as I do that if I secure enough votes from the family, your disapproval won‘t be a factor.[/b]”

Daedalus was taken back by his nephew‘s audacity. He rubbed his forehead as he spoke, surprised that the boy he had helped raised could speak to him in such a manner..

“[b]I had no idea that you could feel so strongly, boy,[/b]” he said disapprovingly, “[b]Magitech had always been something of great importance to your father. It's a shame that only a few days after his passing you are already thinking about selling it off.[/b]"

"[b]I think it's for the best.[/b]"

"[b]If that's the case, so be it. I just hope you reconsider your position, Fauntleroy. Good night.[/b]”

And with that Daedalus shut the door behind him.[/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/blair-avatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/donner-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[FONT="Georgia"]What seemed to be hours later, Gadget and the Starks arrived to a large cave-like structure. Great stone archs supported a roof, and massive pillars lined the walls. There was a stream of murky water running across the cave. Dozens of tents of varying sizes and materials were scattered around the space, and people in rugged outfits were walking about. Gadget also saw rusty machines and vehicles being repaired on the far edge of the cave.

[B]"Welcome to Camp Doberman, kid"[/B], Donner Stark said. [B]"I can't tell you it's exact location, I don't trust you yet. But this place is just one of the hidden camps of the Underdogs. Let's head to our tent for now. I'm hungry."[/B]

As they walked towards a large pavilion located between two of the pillars, the people they passed just nodded or waved at the Starks, and gave suspicious glares at Gadget. This confused him, since he had already gotten used to the clear hierarchy among the people of High Czenoble. Down here, everyone seemed to be equal.

Soon they were sitting around a small table, eating a steaming stew made of some unidentifiable grey meat and pale vegetables. But the spices used in it made it quite delicious. Gadget smiled at his parents, but Donner concentrated on eating and Blair only responded with a weak smile.

[B]"If I may ask"[/B], Gadget started, wanting to ask something that had been bothering him ever since he first ran into the Starks. [B]"What were you doing at the Chimaera Cup?"[/B]

[B]"We were trying to make the life of those tyrants a bit more difficult"[/B], Donner answered bluntly. [B]"But we were interrupted and had to make a quick escape. That's our life, kid. That has been our life for twenty years."[/B]

[B]"You see, dear"[/B], Blair continued. [B]"That's why we had to gave you to the orphanage. We were idealists then, we thought that we could stop the opression of the aristocracy in a matter of years, and then take you back to live with us as a real family. But things didn't go as planned. We would occasionally come to watch you play with the other children in the yard of the orphanage. But when you grew up, we had to give up those visits so that you wouldn't guess who we were."[/B]

Gadget realized now why the two had looked so familiar. He remembered that odd young couple from his childhood, observing him from beyond the metal fence of the orphanage. His parents had been there right near him all along! He felt tears filling his eyes.

[B]"But I'm so glad we found you now, after all these years. You've grown into a beautiful young man, Gadget"[/B], Blair said, and took his hand into hers.

[B]"I will arrange a ticket for you to the train to Brigit Town tomorrow"[/B], Donner said. [B]"We have a camp there too with many associates. You can start a whole new life there."[/B]

Gadget was stunned. He had just met his parents, and now they wanted to send him away!

[B]"But... No! I want to stay with you!"[/B] Gadget exclaimed.

[B]"Trust me, kid. You don't want to be here when things get really heated. Maybe when this is all over, if we survive, we can come to live with you. But for now, I want you out of our hands."[/B]

[B]"[I]If[/I] you survive? What are you talking about, [I]father[/I]?"[/B] Gadget demanded. Donner was clearly taken a-back by hearing Gadget call him that.

[B]"I told you, you're not ready to know. If you knew... you wouldn't want us as parents, trust me"[/B], Donner sighed.

It was obvious that no matter how much they wanted it, the Starks knew that they weren't any better than the aristocracy. But they didn't fight for their own sake, but for the sake of New Czenoble - and freedom.[/FONT]

[COLOR=#483d8b][FONT=Palatino Linotype][center][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]

As much as he hated it, Jack left the races early. His dear sister Morphia, whom he loved more than anyone else in the world hadn't even begun to race by time Jack was pushing past crowds to get out of the stadium. He had a prior engagement, one which he kept to non other than himself.

An hour's stroll and transport ship ride later found Jack in a small tavern in the slums of New Czenoble.*The Slaughter Slums of New Czenoble were a dark, dangerous ghetto filled with immigrant workers, pirates and criminals from the Old Globe. It was many of these same workers who first entered Czenovia with dreams of finding great fortune, only to find themselves jaded with the nation's strict class system. As a result, the worker's paradise that Celcius Almagest had dreamed of when designing*New Czenoble ultimately fell victim to the same crime and corruption that plagued every other major city in the world. While the Royal Police Guard still fought valiantly to maintain order through the current crises, the Slaughter Slums were the one part of town where all hope was lost. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#483d8b][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Jack Deacon knew that this place above all others would be the perfect spot for him to reestablish his connections within the criminal underworld.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#483d8b][FONT=Palatino Linotype]

He was alone, or at least appeared to be. People were following him all the way there. They hid behind walls and pedestrians. Blending, but at the same time not blending. Jack chose to ignore them as he walked, for he knew exactly what they wanted, and he wasn't going to be intimidated by the likes of them.

As he sat sipping his whiskey in the tavern, a staunch looking man walked up to him and spoke. [B]"Would you care for a game of poker?"[/B]

[B]"No"[/B]*Jack replied, [B]"I prefer Gin Rummy."[/B]

The man nodded approvingly. [B]"Jack fucking Deacon. The last I heard, you were being hanged for impersonating a clergyman. How is it you go from that to wanting to join our humble gang?"

[/B][B]"I could never stay awake in church. It was too much to ask. To get to the point, am I in or not?"

[/B]The staunch man straightened up and sat down next to Jack, ordering his own drink before he began to speak. [B]"There will be two targets this afternoon. We've chosen them because we know the prats in High Czenoble will be too busy endulging in ther damnable games. One will be CHAOS, the other will be Artemis Air Transports. We know of your ship with in the hangars. If you can allow us use of your ship. Our pil-"

"No one, and I mean no one pilots my ship unless I approve of it. I'll handle the driving."

[/B]The man hacked a laugh under his breath. He should have expected it. [B]"Very well then, Mr. Deacon. If you're willing to take the risk, then I suggest you be ready to fly in two hours. Wait for our men to board and fly off. Since your ship is fast, we've coordinated with the other crew at CHAOS to await you and board. You are aware of the consequences you may incur at the expense of helping us? We are well informed of your aristocratic lineage. Your crimes will be against your own family."

"My family is not the Almagests. Bunch of stuck up, arrogant, and annoying brats they are. The lot of them. It would be a*public*service to take them and everyone like them down to the gates of Hades." [/B]Jack shifted lazily in his seat. [B]"Tell your men I'll be waiting in my ship. They should know it. It's the only one worth flying."[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

The rear of Vincent’s steamcar was filled with bags. He didn’t know how long he was going to be away, so he wanted to be prepared. His assistant, Audrey, was travelling with him. Audrey had been to New Czenoble many times on various assignments for Vincent and now he was glad he’d sent her. She assured him that everything would be fine.

As the car pulled away from Vincent’s building, he reclined in the rear seat as Audrey leafed through paperwork. Vincent had a new driver assigned to him from the Guard, which still felt awkward.

It wouldn’t be long before dusk arrived. The sun was starting to fall over the horizon and High Czenoble’s field of towers were bathed in a golden glow. It was a beautiful city, Vincent thought, but there were many dark secrets hidden underneath the sparkling skyline.

‘Do you think we are going to uncover anything?’ asked Audrey, breaking the silence.

Vincent shrugged. ‘At this point, nothing is certain. I think Gaul has made a lot of assumptions about the Underdogs. I don’t know how much of it is really true.’

‘I see,’ muttered Audrey.

‘Tell me,’ said Vincent, ‘what is New Czenoble like? I’ve heard the stories but I don’t really know. I’ve never been there and neither has Gaul.’

‘You really want to know?’

Vincent raised an eyebrow. ‘Of course. Why?’

Audrey put her papers down. ‘It’s just that…the likes of Gaul Rosier would never visit New Czenoble. So many people in this city have never ventured outside its walls. At least you know something of the outside world, being a fellow Anovan.’

‘Very true,’ Vincent nodded.

‘I’m sure that many of the stereotypes have an element of truth,’ Audrey continued, ‘but in reality New Czenoble is not what they say. It’s dirtier than High Czenoble and it’s not nearly as organized…but you know, it can actually be a pretty fun place. Most people who live there have ways of making their own fun, despite the poverty. And not [i]everyone[/i] there is poor – New Czenoble has plenty of middle-class citizens. It’s just that none of them really become major company owners or anything like that. Most work in middle management for companies owned by those who live in High Czenoble. After all, the owners here still need local managers there.’

‘Interesting,’ said Vincent. ‘So there’s more to New Czenoble than slums, eh?’

Audrey nodded. ‘Oh yes, very much so. New Czenoble has a growing middle-class…I think that’s one of the reasons certain people in High Czenoble are afraid of it. These people are not like the typical poor. They are more educated and aware; they travel outside the city.’

‘So do you think the Dynasts have an interest in casing New Czenoble as nothing but a slum?’

‘I think so,’ said Audrey. ‘I suppose it makes it easier for the aristocracy in High Czenoble to treat New Czenoble as they do. It also probably creates some kind of fear; people think the only way to retain their quality of life is for the Dynasts to use their power to contain New Czenoble.’

‘I think you’re right,’ said Vincent. ‘Gaul Rosier doesn’t even seem to care about the growing unrest in New Czenoble. To him it means nothing. I think he assumes that they could never have an organized rebellion.’

Audrey paused. ‘If he genuinely thinks that, he’s dead wrong.’

The car fell silent once again. As it wound through the city streets, it finally neared the Aerodrome. From there, the steamcar would be loaded onto a commercial freighter airship and ferried south over the sheer cliffs of Mt. Grail to the southern base, where New Czenoble sat nestled against the rock.

Both Vincent and Audrey sat on the upper deck of the freighter as its enormous steam engines rumbled to life beneath them.

Within a few minutes, they were above New Czenoble’s tallest towers, looking down over the mountain to the forest beyond.

New Czenoble was impossible to miss. From the air, its buildings made an odd spiral shape – a grey spiral with a black interior. It was slightly intimidating, thought Vincent. Several large towers stood at the center of the city.

Vincent pointed to them. ‘What are they?’ he asked Audrey.

‘A few are office towers,’ she replied, ‘and you see the very tall thin one? That’s the Shot Tower. It’s used to make ammunition for muskets. And then, just near that, you can see the Black Pipe. It’s a big stack that comes from a major power station below – it powers both New and High Czenoble.’

Vincent also saw a town beyond New Czenoble. It lay on the opposite side of a forest. From the air, it was barely visible.

‘I didn’t know there was another city so close by,’ muttered Vincent.

‘Oh yes,’ said Audrey, pointing at the city. ‘That is Muldova. It’s smaller than New Czenoble, but it’s still a pretty sizable town. It lies beyond the Forest of Tranquility. The Dynasts have a presence there, but I’d say the Muldovans aren’t too concerned with the politics of Mt. Grail. They live pretty independently.’

‘Interesting,’ said Vincent. ‘I must visit it sometime. They must live a peaceful life, away from the big cities.’

‘Possibly,’ replied Audrey. ‘It’s one place I’ve never been. But I hear they make wonderful ale.’

Vincent eyed Audrey suspiciously. ‘Well in that case, we [i]must[/i] visit!’

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey, sitting in front of her vanity table, slowly began to remove her jewelry and hairpins. No more than three feet away, Eva sat, doing much of the same. Both were intensely tired, worn out by the day's excitements and drama. At her door stood one of Gustave's own body guards, sent home with her as a courtesy. More than that, Macey didn't care to consider. Better to underestimate him than to overestimate and be disappointed later. Laying down her necklace, she paused to consider the vase one of her servants had used to hold the remaining roses.[/i]

"Goodness this was almost too much fun."

"Yes, maybe next time they can just explode the entire track and see how the jockey's handle that."

[i]Eva leaned back with a vacant sigh, letting her thoroughly un-tired nurse button up her nightgown. Macey stood and did the same, both going to bed with very little words spoken between them. And as soon as she was between her comfortable sheets, curled up with her pillows for company, she began to dream. Of Gustave, the Chimaeras racing down the track, and the way he'd said her name and kissed her hand.

When morning came, Macey found herself quite alone. Eva was either studying alone in her room, or gone down for breakfast by herself. Mell had laid out the tea service for whenever her mistress awoke, and next to it was a folded newspaper detailing the strange events of the night previous. Slipping out of bed, Macey went over and picked it up, the headlines screaming at her.[/i]

"Terrible Accident at Chimaera Cup! Dozens wounded!"

[i]Raising one eyebrow, she set it back down, with a sour thought for the paper's so called 'accident.' Several cups of tea later, she'd decided to get started with the day and stop feeling self righteous indignation. She dressed herself in a deep green riding skirt this time around. The evening prior, Gustave had invited her to visit him at his summer home when the guard returned home, and she had every intention of doing so. Fastening her hat firmly to her hair with a long gold pin, she turned and opened her front door to fin the body guard still in attendance. He gave her a courtly bow.[/i]

"Are you ready to visit Master Gustave now M'lady?"

"Absolutely. Would you like to ride with me?"

"I'd like nothing better."

[i]Servants bowed to Macey along the way, and she returned their honorifics with smiles and nods of her head, as she made her way to the stables. Once there, one of the ostler's holding the bridle of her white gelding, another saddling up a blood bay for the bodyguard. With the aid of the mounting block, Macey pulled herself into the side saddle, arranging her skirts for modesty's sake. Once suitably secured, she gave her beast a light touch across the flanks and he set off at a brisk trot, the bodyguard close behind.

Once they'd cleared Rosengard's gates, Macey kicked the gelding and he leapt forward into a steady canter. Picking up speed with his smooth gait, the two traveled down towards the forests that made up the southern part of Mount Grail, the roads nearly abandoned except for the occasional carriage. And soon enough the two found themselves loping across the long causeway that marked the beginning of Gustave's summer estate. The road curved gently around the lakeside, the house reflected in its mirror stillness, the trees sighing and swaying in the breeze. Macey was just reflecting on how picturesque it all was, when the owner of the whole property came out with a salute and a warm smile.[/i]

"Macey! So glad you could come."

"I'd never refuse such a sweet request. Especially from such a gentleman."

"Now now, don't flatter me to death Macey-"

[i]With a laugh, he stepped forward and held her horse's bridle as she slipped down from the saddle into a perfect curtsy.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[right][font=garamond][size=4][b]Sides[/b][/size][/font][/right]
[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/princessaugustine-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]
[size=1][indent]Princess Augustine paced back and forth in front of her father’s quarters, eagerly awaiting news from the Starks. It was obvious that the assassination attempt on her brothers had failed, but if the Starks were apprehended why hadn’t she heard about it? Something was amiss, but given the King’s health she had little choice but to wait by his side.

As each moment passed her country drew closer and closer to the brink of chaos. Augustine knew that anything less than her own rule would fail to satisfy the people’s hunger for revolution. That she would make certain. Now she only wondered if her father would make the right choice in selecting his successor.

Agron Deacon opened the door a crack, and motioned for the princess.

“[b]How is he Agron?[/b]”

“[b]The concoction the potionists have given him is enough to soothe his pain, but I fear it won’t be for much longer. To see both my daughter and my King in such a condition, I wonder what have I done to deserve this?[/b]”

“[b]You have been a loyal servant to the throne, Agron, but you must tell me…[/b]“ Augustine rested her hand on Agron‘s shoulder, leaning in closely, “[b]Has my father named his heir?[/b]”

“[b]I am afraid not, my princess. He calls for Leonhart Almagest.[/b]”

“[b]What?[/b]”

“[b]He demands to speak with Almagest. He says there is still much to be done, that all of Czenovia is at risk.[/b]”

Augustine‘s eyes widened, “[b]That cannot be! My father must be delusional from the potions he has received. Could he already be that far gone?[/b]”

“[b]Have no worries, I will ensure that the king chooses a successor. You have my word.[/b]”

“[b]Thank you, Agron.[/b]”

The door closed as quickly as it had opened, and Augustine was once again left alone with her thoughts. Juvenous had locked himself in his bedroom in an alcoholic rage, while Primas had not left Bavaria Deacon’s side since her sister’s accident. [I]If anyone is deserving of the Crystalline Throne.[/I] she thought, [I]It should be the one who has waited patiently by the king's deathbed.[/I]

A palace messenger rushed down the hallway, carrying a folded slip of paper in his hand.

“[b]Princess! I have an important correspondence from New Czenoble.[/b]”

Augustine quickly snatched the paper from the boy’s hand, discovering that it had been sealed with the symbol of a dove.

The messenger kneeled, “[b]I was instructed that you would know who sent it, my lady.[/b]”

Augustine quickly broke the seal and opened the note, discovering several lines of sheet music printed across it. Her demeanor changed suddenly as she read the notes on the page, and a sly grin spread across her face.

"[b]Today it begins.[/b]"[/size][/indent]

[/center]

Vincent’s night had ended as though it were a holiday. They had arrived at New Czenoble in the evening and their steamcar had taken them to a hotel near New Czenoble’s Aerodrome. The hotel, as it happened, looked out onto the center of the city – where its spiral of buildings and streets merged at the foot of the Shot Tower.

As soon as they’d stepped out of the steamcar, Audrey had encouraged Vincent to go out for a drink. Vincent was pleasantly surprised; he found much of New Czenoble to be laid-back. The air was calm and the citizens were mostly quite friendly. Although the city had its share of slums, much of it was rather like High Czenoble – except much busier and significantly more crowded.

That night Vincent and Audrey had both reached the edge of blind drunkenness and, together, they’d worked their way back to the hotel. Vincent had ended up sharing more with Audrey than with anyone in recent memory; he’d told her about Gadget and about his increasing doubts over Gaul Rosier’s leadership. Audrey, predictably enough, had agreed with all of his sentiments.

When morning came, the pair sat by the window and ate breakfast.

‘I feel horrible,’ said Vincent, his mouth full of bacon.

Audrey laughed. ‘Why on earth do you feel horrible?’

‘It’s the first day of our arrival and we’re already hung over. What does that say about our professionalism? Besides…I haven’t achieved anything. I’ve lost Gadget.’

Vincent’s vague smile faded as the words escaped.

Audrey cocked her head. ‘You remember what we talked about last night, right?’

Vincent nodded slowly. ‘Yeah. You told me that there were reports from onlookers that someone was following the Starks out of the Circuit.’

‘Yes,’ said Audrey, ‘a young blonde man. Coincidence?’ Audrey stabbed a sausage with her fork.

‘I don’t believe it,’ replied Vincent. ‘It makes no sense. The Starks are dangerous killers. Why would anyone run off with them – especially Gadget, who is as timid as a mouse?’

Audrey shrugged. ‘People do strange things when they’re under pressure, I guess.’

‘If it’s true though,’ Audrey continued, ‘it says a lot about how he views you.’

Vincent knew that Audrey had a point, but he didn’t want to concede it. ‘Not necessarily. Maybe they forced him. Besides, he’s young and ignorant of the larger world; who knows what they told him.’

Audrey dabbed her lips with a serviette. ‘True,’ she said, ‘but nevertheless, you’d think he’d either struggle or run in the opposite direction. The Guard were everywhere; he would have been protected.’

Vincent raised an eyebrow. ‘Why are you so cynical?’

Audrey delicately propped her egg and toast together. ‘Cynical? Don’t you remember our long talk last night? I thought you said you had doubts from the beginning. Besides, you’re in your forties…you’re handsome…and you’re successful. Anyone would want you. Why settle for someone who flees from you at the first opportunity?’

Vincent put his cutlery down. ‘Even if that is all true, it doesn’t change the way I feel about Gadget. He helped me to realize that there’s life after divorce, as cliché as that sounds.’

Audrey smiled warmly at Vincent. ‘Sorry, I don’t want to trivialize how you feel. You’re right. I just have a tendency to play devil’s advocate, especially with friends.’

‘Ah! So I’m your friend now?’

The room filled with laughter. ‘Getting drunk with my boss changes things,’ said Audrey as she bit into her toast.

When the pair finished breakfast, they chatted for a little while longer. But their chat was cut short when Audrey began staring out the window vacantly. From where he was sitting, Vincent couldn’t quite see what she was looking at. He began to worry; her expression was one of sudden shock.

‘Audrey! What’s the matter?’ cried Vincent.

‘Oh…I think you should stand over here and see for yourself,’ she said quietly. Vincent stood up and walked around behind her chair. And there, he saw it:

[center][img]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9922/underdogsej6.jpg[/img]
[size=8]UNDERDOGS FOREVER[/size][/center]

A giant banner had been unfurled from the top of the Shot Tower. It rolled all the way down, almost to street level.

‘Vincent,’ said Audrey quietly, ‘I don’t think we should stay long.’

[center][img] http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/img][img] http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center]

Gustave’s summer house was very unlike Rosengard. Macey could not help but notice the differences. The house was smaller and had an eastern flavour – or at least what Macey imagined to be eastern, as she had never been to the east continent.

It was nestled into the foot of Mt. Grail, west of New Czenoble. It sat on a small lake, which was bordered by Czenovian fur trees.

Gustave took Macey’s arm and led her beyond the front gates, into the gardens. His face had lost some color and he didn’t exude the enthusiasm of the prior day.

‘What’s the matter?’ asked Macey earnestly. ‘You don’t look so good.’

‘My Chimaera,’ replied Gustave.

‘The one that almost took out our stand yesterday?’

Gustave nodded slowly. ‘His name is Lazarus. He’s badly injured. I brought a vet with me but he’s perplexed; nobody knows what to do. Lazarus is my greatest Chimaera.’

‘I may be able to help,’ piped up Macey. ‘I am not a vet, but I might be able to offer some assistance. Can you show me to Lazarus?’

Gustave’s tone changed slightly. A little spring seemed to return to his step. ‘Oh, really? Well, if it’s not too much trouble. I have a stable behind the house, near the lake. Lazarus is in there right now. I’ll take you to him.’

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alecia stifled a yawn as she left her home to head for work, feeling oddly alone without Alexander around to keep her company. But all she had was a vague memory of him bending over the bed to kiss her goodbye on the cheek before he left earlier that morning to catch one of the earliest trains to New Czenoble. It wasn't until later when she woke up to realize that he was gone that she even remembered since she had fallen back asleep.

The day was looking to be promising though, it was already bright and clear and the crisp morning air was doing wonders to help her wake up. Alecia looked down the street towards where Rosengard was located, smiling at the memory of going to check on Fauntleroy and seeing his guilty start upon realizing that she had come to check on him. But other than to make sure he was doing alright she had let him stay. So long as he was healing nicely and there wasn't any excessive bleeding, she figured it was better to leave him there since he had already been comfortably situated in his bed.

"[B]Good morning Lady Almagest.[/B]" Alecia smiled at the train attendant who was guiding people into the waiting train cars.

"[B]Good morning.[/B]" Alecia replied. "[B]I trust you saw Alexander earlier this morning?[/B]"

"[B]Yes I did, he was looking well.[/B]"

"[B]Thank you.[/B]" She finished as she stepped into the first car. "[B]Take care of yourself.[/B]"

"[B]Thank you Lady Almagest, you do the same.[/B]" And with that he closed the door behind her, securing it for the train which was about to depart.

Alecia just found a seat and enjoyed the view of the city as it took her to her stop, thinking that by now Alexander was probably already in New Czenoble.[I] I hope he finishes up quickly so he can come home before it gets too late.[/I] Though if he had to stay longer, the Royal Police Guard would see to his lodging and failing that he could always stay with his family if necessary.

As she got of the train and headed down the street towards the Eshe Rehema Medical Center Alecia hoped that wouldn't be necessary for him to do that, if only because she was hoping to get a positive result from the test she was going to take and if that were the case, she'd want to tell him immediately. She smiled at the thought as she entered the Eshe Rehema, and then headed for her office to pick up a few things before going to one of the labs to get what she needed.

It didn't take her long to get ready though for some odd reason she felt secretive about it. She didn't understand why until she realized it was because if the test was positive, she wanted Alexander to be the first person to know and not someone else. It was likely that Macey had guessed, but guessing and being right was not the same thing. A few minutes later and she had her answer, causing her to smile broadly. [I]So I am![/I]

[I]Of all times for Alexander to be in New Czenoble![/I] She took a couple of deep breathes to steady herself and attempt to calm down. It wasn't easy when more than anything she wanted to go and find Alexander. Instead she focused on cleaning up and putting the supplies away, getting her emotions under control so she could head out to get her work done.

Once she had done so, she headed for the main desk to get the reports on any new patients as well as the summary of those who had been under someone else's care while she had been off for the Wake and for the Chimera Cup. After a cheerful good morning to the staff, with the reports in hand she left to start her rounds.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/audrey-avatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

Vincent packed his things quickly. Audrey did the same, without finishing her breakfast.

As the pair stuffed their clothes into suitcases, they felt a heavy rumble through the floor. And, overhead, they heard a deep burble of large steam engines.

Audrey and Vincent looked at each other. Audrey’s voice shook as she spoke; she had to yell to be heard over the roaring of the engines. ‘What was that?!’

Vincent didn’t have to see the airship to know what it was. ‘RPG Gunship!’ he cried over the noise.

Audrey’s eyes widened. She grabbed her suitcase and followed Vincent out of the hotel room. They both rushed down the stairs until finally, they came upon an underground parking garage. Several steamcars were queued up at the street entrance; everyone was trying to leave at once.

Vincent’s steamcar was idling nearby. The driver had raised its diplomatic flags. Audrey seemed relieved. ‘If they know who you are, we’ll be able to get out!’ she panted.

Vincent shook his head. ‘No, we can’t have those flags up! If the Underdogs see, we’ll be the number one target.’ He ran over to the steamcar and tore the flags from its hood.

The driver was already sitting inside the car; he simply nodded, immediately understanding his mistake.

Both Vincent and Audrey dived into the rear of the car along with their bags. The steamcar then waited in line with the other vehicles, which were slowly making their way out onto the main street. The streets were apparently now crowded with people, carriages and steamcars.

Vincent climbed forward in the car and looked out one of the side windows. The giant Underdogs banner was still visible and at the base of the Shot Tower, he could see a large group of people forming. In his estimation there were about two or three hundred people at the base of the tower. Several were holding up Underdogs banners.

The Gunship was now hovering low over the crowd. Some people were covering their ears due to the deafening engines. This was, by far, one of the largest airships in Czenovia’s arsenal. Vincent never thought he’d see the day when it would be used for crowd control.

Suddenly the engines went quieter – the ship was moving into a stationary hover. A voice pierced the air over a loudspeaker, emanating from the airship above.

[B]CITIZENS OF NEW CZENOBLE, YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMES OR YOUR PLACES OF EMPLOYMENT IMMEDIATELY, BY ORDER OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING. THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. WE WILL ALLOW TEN MINUTES FOR YOU TO CLEAR THE CITY SQUARE.[/B]

As the voice reverberated around the city, Vincent noticed that only a few people seemed to be paying attention to the warning. Mostly, it seemed that people with children were trying to move them away from the square. Other than that, though, most adults were crowding around the Shot Tower. Underdogs banners were being unfurled from nowhere; the speed with which the situation had intensified was startling.

‘We’re not going to be able to get out in time!’ cried Audrey. ‘Maybe we should run.’

Vincent looked back at her. Her eyes were wide with fright. ‘We can’t panic, Audrey,’ he said calmly. ‘I’m sure they won’t do anything. They’re just trying to create some order before this gets dangerous. The most they’ll do is use a water cannon or something.’

Audrey rolled her eyes. ‘Vincent!’ she cried. ‘You are the Assistant Commander! You know what Gaul Rosier is capable of. Do you think he’ll stop at the use of water cannons?’

‘Look, I know Gaul is a tyrant…but I’ve never known him to authorize the use of force on a crowd of civilians like that. Even he isn’t that cruel,’ replied Vincent.

Audrey struck the rear seat with her first. ‘I know you haven’t been in the job for more than a few months, but trust me when I tell you, he is [i]very[/i] capable of doing some horrible things.’

It wasn’t like Audrey to panic or to throw wild accusations around. But Vincent couldn’t believe his ears.

In any case, they now only had five minutes. Their car wouldn’t get far in the traffic within that time. And it was too late to run.

In five minutes, they’d see Gaul Rosier’s brand of crowd control in action.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/lector-avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Catherine, with Victoria Ann in tow was heading for Chaos after having gotten off the train stop closest to the school in question. Both of them coming a little later than usual on account of the fact that the train had run into a slight difficulty along the way. Though both of them would still arrive in time for the first classes. But as they approached the main gates a loud chatter could be heard, as if there was an assembly being held on the front lawn of the school.

"[B]What's going on Auntie Catherine?[/B]"

"[B]I don't know.[/B]" Catherine responded as she unconsciously hastened her gait, wondering what in the world could be going on, something that formed into a serious concern once she got close enough to see that there steamcars from the Royal Police Guard parked just inside the gates.

A moment later, Victoria Ann's hand held firmly in her's and she was inside the gates where she could clearly see what the commotion was about. There were members of the Guard near the entrance of the school discussing something among themselves and the students were all scattered across the expansive lawns in front of the school. Chatting in groups while some of the younger students were running around playing silly games of tag.

Among this chaos was the Head Master Lector Moebius, who was trying, without success to restore order among the students. But his efforts were ignored since as soon as he got one group of students to behave, the moment he moved on to the next they broke up and went back to doing what they had been doing before the Head Master had come along.

"[B]Wow![/B]" Victoria Ann pipped up. "[B]I wonder what happened![/B]"

"[B]I'm sure I have no idea.[/B]" Catherine said with a tiny sigh as she suppressed the desire to laugh a bit. Not at the Royal Police Guard since she was sure they had a good reason to be there, but rather at the comical attempts of the Head Master to get the children to settle down. It was painfully clear he had no idea what he was doing. [I]This is what comes from assigning someone who has no real experience.[/I] And though it was amusing, she needed to put an end to it.

Catherine took a few more steps towards the school until she was standing on the walkway leading to the front doors. With a smile at Victoria Ann she let go of her hand and took her walking stick and struck the ground several times in succession.

"[B]Children![/B]" She said in a ringing tone, one that caught the attention of those closest to her who had turned when she struck the ground to see what was going on. In less than a minute utter silence descended as the children turned to look at Catherine. [I]Where are the teachers?[/I]

"[B]Form ranks![/B]" She barked, something that the children did immediately, lining up by class and grade. Something that was drilled into all students in case of a fire or other disaster that might require an orderly evacuation. She nodded with approval once they were done.

"[B]Now stay put while I find out what happened.[/B]" Catherine ignored Lector Moebius who was heading towards her as she moved to speak to the Guard member who was in charge of whatever was going on.

"[B]Lady Almagest,[/B]" He said once he was in range. "[B]Chaos was robbed of all of it's alchemy supplies, we believe this happened yesterday during the Chimera Cup.[/B]"

"[B]Where are the teachers?[/B]"

"[B]They're inside, helping the others determine what was taken.[/B]"

"[B]I see, is there any reason why school can't be held today?[/B]"

"[B]None Lady Almagest, we're finishing up right now, you can send the students in now if you like.[/B]" He turned as one of the other guard members called to him. "[B]If you'll excuse me.[/B]" He turned and went back to the others.

"[B]Lady Almagest![/B]" Catherine turned to see Lector Moebius. "[B]We really need to do something about how unruly the students are."
[/B]
Catherine just arched an eyebrow at that statement. "[B]Head Master, it's not the children's fault that you have no experience with teaching. They're not the only ones who need to learn something here.[/B]" Catherine ignored how his face turned red at the implication that he was lacking and turned to face the students.

She smiled in approval at how the students were still standing at attention and then she pitched her voice to carry so that all the students could hear what she was saying, explaining that though the school had been robbed classes would still be held. Then, still ignoring the Head Master who was sputtering over the fact that they were listening to her and not him, she gave the order for everyone to get to class, something that all of them did with out fuss.

Then with an inward sigh she turned to face the irate Head Master and the Royal Police Guard as one of them was heading towards where she was standing again. [I]This is going to be an interesting day.[/I] She thought. Somehow, she could feel it like an aura of mischief that was about to be set loose.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alexander had not planned on going to New Czenoble, but when the leads he had for tracking down Aleica's mentor Dr. Victor Rawlings, indicated that he had possibly fled to New Czenoble, it had left him with no choice. And since he had grown up there, unlike many of the Guard, he was well acquainted with the city and would have no trouble finding his way around.

The trip, though it had been at an ungodly time in the morning, had been quick enough and he found himself exiting the train with only the first hints of dawn starting to show. Alexander didn't waste any time, heading immediately for the slums of New Czenoble, to where his lead indicated he needed to look. The air in the city as everyone was either heading for work or some other errand was terse as there were still quite a few guards out and about on patrol.

It was easy to see who was a guard from New Czenoble and who was one from High Czenoble, since even though the dark uniforms were identical, Alexander's had a light gray trim, giving it a more distinguished look. And though usually that did not matter, today he could clearly feel resentment in the glances being sent his way as he hurried down the streets.

The further he went, the more he began to wonder what was going on to have everyone on edge, since even the increase in guard wouldn't cause that, or would it? Alexander paused briefly to get one of the hot little bread pockets stuffed with sausage and egg that were often sold early in the morning and then leisurely eat it as he traveled down the few remaining streets before his destination.

He had barely finished with the meal when a large rumbling sound caught his attention, causing him to look up to the sky, wondering what in the world he was hearing since the close nature of the buildings he was currently traveling through made it hard to get a clear view. A moment later he had his answer as of all things, an RPG Gunship was flying over head, in the direction of the Shot Tower, something that in his position, Alexander couldn't really see.

Confused, he, along with many of the other citizens, watched as it passed by. He only waited long enough to see the emblem for the coat of arms for the Royal Police Guard with the word [I]Vigilant[/I] in bold letters right above. Even though Alexander couldn't really see all of it he already knew what a gunship looked like. RPG Gunships were massive air ships, much like a Zeppelin only instead of decks for passengers, it was fitted with automatic gun turrets, powered by a combination of magi technology and the steam engines that powered the ship. The massive engines putting out smoke that even from his view Alexander could clearly see.

[I]What in the world?[/I] His assignment temporarily forgotten, Alexander turned and took a short cut through some of the buildings, to get to where he would have a better view of where the ship was going. At that altitude, it would hit the Shot Tower, which made no sense. He was halfway through the alley way when he heard the ship become more quiet as the engines went into hover mode and then the loud speakers as they ordered everyone to to clear the city square. It made no sense to Alexander, that is until he managed to push through those who were starting to gather to watch and get a clear view.

The large banner of the Underdogs hanging on the tower and the group gathering in the square made it crystal clear as to why the ship was even there. For the longest moment he just stood there, frozen in shock over what he was seeing. [I]Are they out of their minds? There's no way the Dynasts will overlook that![/I] But the next shock came as he realized that among the people gathered at the base of the tower, holding banners were none other than other Guard members. [I]What are they thinking?! The fools![/I]

Not that he didn't sympathize with the idea of better treatment, but that to stand one's ground against a gunship was utter foolishness. But even he could have never predicted what would happen next. He had thought that when the alloted time was up they would start by using water cannons to force the people to disperse. And only the obvious hum of the automatic turrets activating and taking aim told him otherwise. [I]What? But...! Surely they wouldn't!?[/I]

A split second later the [I]Vigilant[/I] opened fire, ripping through the first ranks of the members gathered in the square and all hell broke lose as screams erupted and people began to panic and flee. The next thirty minutes was like an eternity spent in hell as members of the Underdogs started firing back at the [I]Vigilant[/I] and others showed up on rooftops to get a better shot at the engines of the massive ship.

Alexander barely had time to register that other guard members had dropped what they were doing and joined in the attack against the [I]Vigilant[/I], their shouts of anger making it clear that they were furious over what was clearly an unnecessary display of force. Something that Alexander had to agree with, why had they broken with procedure and used lethal force without using non-lethal methods first? It made no sense!

The more pressing matter, even as he found himself cringing at the sounds of the battle, was attempting to avoid getting trampled by the fleeing people as he tried to pull back and find a better vantage point that would keep him clear of the mess. Even if he didn't agree, he couldn't attack the gun ship like some of the others were doing. He was working his way back when an unexpected pair of hands snatched his uniform and he was pulled into a side alley before he could realize what was happening.

"[B]You idiot![/B]" A voice roared at him as he was shoved into one of the walls and pinned into place by none other than his brother Thomas.

"[B]I told you to stay away![/B]" He let go once Alexander realized who had grabbed him and quit struggling.

"[B]You didn't tell me you were involved in something as stupid as this Tom![/B]" Alexander shouted, getting angry. "[B]Are you out of your mind?[/B]" He winced as the sounds of screams and then the unmistakable fire of what could only be a cannon being fired went off. He flinched when the building he was pressed into shuddered from the impact of the shot. Worried that it was coming down he pushed off and moved away from the wall.

Thomas just shook his head. "[B]I don't have time for this.[/B]" He turned to one of the others who were with him and whispered something before turning back to Alexander. "[B]Nothing personal little brother, but this is for your own good.[/B]" He gave a meaningful look to one of the others who was standing to the side of Alexander.

"[B]What do you...[/B]" Alexander didn't get to finish, all he caught was a hint of movement and then something struck with stunning force and he fell into darkness.

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gustave-avatar.gif[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Gustave took Macey's arms and led her down to the stables, the ostlers leading the horses down as well. Once they entered the stables, the sounds of an animal in pain reached their ears. Lazarus was shrieking in pain, the sounds of his claws scrabbling against the stable walls. The Anovan vet was standing a safe distance away, out of reach of the enormous claws, his medical bag at his side. Macey removed her hat and handed it to one of the nearby servants, stripping off her riding jacket as well until her bare arms showed. The vet turned to her and spoke with a very thick accent Macey struggled to grasp.[/i]

"He's been like this since last night, didn't start acting funny when we got 'ome or anything."

"Well let's see what we can see. Please prepare me a syringe."

[i]At the sound of an unfamiliar voice, Lazarus turned his sleek head and fixed one of his enormous purple eyes on Macey. She stared steadily back, taking the stethoscope the vet handed her almost absentmindedly, not breaking the eye contact. The Chimaera gurgled once, and lay still, if only for a moment. Moving as if in a trance, Macey knelt next to him and listened to his heart race, a steady hiss and thump of sound that was altogether too fast, even for a beast such as Lazarus. Her brow furrowing slowly, she drew back, and gestured to the vet for the needle. With a quick, steady movement of her wrist, she drew blood from the Chimaera's flank, and danced back out of reach before he could strike her. [/i]

"You made that look almost easy."

"I'm sure he'll get me back for it eventually."

[i]With a wry chuckle, she and the vet set up a test kit, the potions spread out in their tubes. Carefully, she divided up the bright crimson blood between the tubes, and added the right proportions of liquids. Almost immediately, they turned a sickly green color, giving off an oder that made Macey feel queasy. She shook one of the tubes, held it up against the sun and squinted for a moment. Then she heaved a disdainful sigh and set it back down. When she spoke her voice was bitter.[/i]

"I should've known. Lazarus has been poisoned."

"Poisoned?! You don't think Hugo Black-"

"He probably modified one of his riding whips to deliver a burst of poison undetected. And in the insanity of the races, nobody would notice. But this is very low grade."

"So it's curable then?"

"Just needs one all purpose antidote. A couple doses and he should be back to normal. I'd just avoid having him and Hugo Black on the same track ever again."

[i]The vet mixed up the purgative carefully, under Gustave and Macey's watchful eyes. Then he handed the flask to Macey, who turned back to Lazarus. As if he sensed unpleasantness descending on him, he let out a furious screech and backed up into the corner of his stall. Darting forward, Macey put Lazarus in a quick arm lock, not that she had the strength to sustain it, but then again it was only for a few seconds. One light movement, and she released him, the Chimaera spluttering and heaving at the bitter taste. Macey leapt back, but even as she did, Lazarus struck out with his claws and struck her a glancing blow across the left arm.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetgerrault2avatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]Gadget felt panic creep into his heart as he heard the order of evacuation. He had already made it half way between the Train Station and the Aerodrome, but the street he was in was blocked by an angry crowd. There was no way around it.

That morning he had woken up from the underground pavilion of the Starks. Donner had shaken him awake roughly and given him the order to follow him. He had received some Silver Thrones from the couple for his new life in Brigit Town, but nothing else.

Blair had hugged him goodbye, and then Donner had taken him through a series of tunnels to the New Czenoble Train Station, where the day's first train towards Brigit Town was already standing on the platform.

[I][B]"This train will take you to safety, kid"[/B][/I], was all that Donner had said. He watched as Gadget got into the train, still confused and torn between his urge to be with his parents and disgust about what they had done.

It was the same with the Almagests. Gadget knew that Macey was partially responsible for the death of his companions from the Gearloose Street, yet he couldn't resist caring about the woman who called him "her treasure". She had been the first person to ever show him that kind of warmth, and for that, Gadget was ever grateful. For that, Gadget wanted to seek her out and tell her that her father was still alive and held captive by the Underdogs.

Vincent was something completely else. Gadget had fallen for his silent strength and dark demeanor, but after spending a week with him, Gadget had started to see a whole other side of the man. When they were together just the two of them, Gadget didn't feel insecure anymore, but happy and confident. Gadget figured that it meant that he was in love with Vincent. Sure, he had had sexual contacts with other young men before, but this was so much different. He didn't know what the other Almagests thought about their relationship, or whether it was even acceptable in High Czenoble, but frankly Gadget didn't even care.

But in a fleeting moment of hope, he had left Vincent behind to follow a couple that claimed to be his parents. Gadget knew they hadn't lied, but he also knew now that Donner and Blair could never be his true parents. He had already grown past that state where he needed nurture and caretaking. Gadget was an adult, and it was time for him to come to realize that. He had just been so vulnerable during the days after the release from the laboratories, that he had taken everything for granted. He hadn't questioned anything that had been thrown in his way.

But he questioned them now. And that is why he got out of the train as soon as Donner had disappeared into the crowd. Now Gadget had to find a way to return back to High Czenoble. He needed to at least try to explain everything to Vincent. But with a massive gunship hovering in the smoggy sky above, it was eternally easier said than done.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison had been leaning up against the school building watching the entire mess and laughing inwardly at the Head Master's attempts to restore order. He couldn't know that most of the students had decided among themselves to ignore him whenever possible, or of the various pranks they had in store for him. No one really liked the pompous old fool since he seemed to think that being a historian meant he should get respect. He was forgetting that for a school that was accustomed to having someone more qualified like Catherine in charge, one had to earn respect at that point.

The students liked Catherine because even though she was a strict and hard task master when it came to lessons, once a student took a test, she was unfailingly courteous, praising you for what you did right and then reminding you of what you did wrong. There was never any 'buts' attached to Catherine's compliments, when she said you were doing well at something, she meant it. There was never any doubt that what she said wasn't the honest truth. And she was endlessly patient in helping you understand if you were lost on a subject or aspect of a lesson.

For Harrison though that respect stemmed from another aspect and that was one of the many sayings that was often drilled into the students by the teachers. Most of them along the lines of serving their family and the Dynasts to the best of their abilities. But Harrison's favorite was 'A fit body makes for a fit mind' a truism that Catherine herself had used when talking to his mother Harriet about letting him enroll in the swordsmanship classes.

Harriet had been dead set against it, not wanting another one of her children involved in anything that could result in him joining the military or even the RPG. It had been Catherine's influence that had finally convinced her to relent. After all over half of the students participated in some form of class like that, from swordsmanship, to equestrian, to many of the other more active sports enjoyed by the citizens of High Czenoble. The only catch, a student had to have their parent's permission to take the classes.

He had already been sneaking out and attending them anyway, using a note he had forged himself, but Catherine had of course found out, she always did. And at that point the 'discussion' had come up with Harriet and then subsequently with Catherine as well since she always took responsibility when it came to following up with her students. In the end, the lessons had finally been formally approved, though that had been nearly four years ago.

Still as she gave the order for everyone to get to classes and Harrison along with the others who had lessons that morning, it only reminded him of why she commanded respect so easily. Even if his mother had said no, she would have had his. He might not have continued to attend school and instead got into even more mischief, but it hadn't and he always looked forward to at least the mornings at Chaos.

It didn't take him long to get to the other building that though further down the street, was still considered a part of Chaos. This was a salle, a building devoted to the teaching and practice of arms. The inside one of sanded wooden floors, with mirrored walls and clerestory windows above. It was obvious that the building saw hard use and the furnishings were well worn. Dented and chipped wooden benches and storage boxes that doubled as seating. Practice armor, of padded leather, hung on the wall. Racks of wooden blades were beside the armor and even the smell was one of sweat, leather, leather oil and a hint of sawdust.

There were separate rooms for the students who had been receiving lessons longer. For most of them at that point had the need for not only more one on one instruction but because after warming up with practice wooden blades, they would move to working with live steel next. The rooms were lockable from the inside once the lesson was in earnest.

Something that was necessary since the Salle was open to all and even untutored students had been known to wander in at times. Leaving it open for the chance that one of them would blunder in at the wrong time and any weapons master knew that when using live steel, your concentration was focused, making it possible for one to not notice anything but your opponent, until it was too late.

Harrison just smiled as the newer students moved to the center of the main room while he and some of the others moved to the private rooms they were assigned too. Ever since he had learned enough to be allowed to work with live steel his lessons had taken on a whole new level of enjoyment. Working with live steel always gave him an -the pun was inevitable- edge. His awareness went up a degree, and everything seemed just that much clearer and sharper. Even his reflexes seemed to improve.

He entered the room he was assigned to, his teacher already waiting, and suited up in the padded leather; retrieving the practice sword they would use to warm up first. As he moved to the center of the room, the thought crossed his mind that there was another reason why he liked the lessons. If he ended up unable to work for the guard, if he worked hard enough to be good at it. Then it was possible he might at least be able to teach it some day. He certainly wasn't going to do any of the other more mundane or rather what he considered boring jobs available. Then as the lesson began in earnest, he focused on the here and now instead.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]
[size=1][indent]Unlike many, Henry Grimalkin entered Eshe Rehema with a large grin across his face. And why not? Only yesterday he had placed second in the Chimaera Cup, becoming the pride of all of Czenovia. Never before had a child of the working class stood among the Dynasts’ own jockeys as equals. As he walked through the halls towards Morphia Markham’s room he only regretted that she couldn’t have been there with him.

The entire race had been a blur, but deep inside he felt as if he were somehow responsible. Morphia was an excellent rider, perhaps even better than he was. Even though accidents were common at the Cup there was no explanation for her chimaera’s tragic fall.

He turned the corner to discover Lady Bavaria and Prince Primas walking past, the two deeply engaged in conversation. He noticed that Bavaria and Primas were wearing the same outfits that they had to the races. [i]Could they have been at the medical center this entire time?[/i] Henry's smile quickly dissolved into an awkward panic as they approached.

“[b]Good morning, Prince Primas, Lady Bavaria,[/b]” Henry said with a bow, “[b]I’ve come to see Morphia. How is she?[/b]”

“[b]What are [I]you[/I] doing here?[/b]“ Bavaria asked, “[b]Come to finish the job, have you?[/b]”

“[b]Please, Bavaria. I’m sure the boy means no harm,[/b]” Primas said, “[b]Morphia has many serious injures and broken bones, but the girl remains in good spirits.[/b]”

“[b]That‘s good news then.[/b]” Henry replied as he reached into his bag, withdrawing a full bouquet of wildflowers, “[b]I brought these for Morphia. Is she seeing visitors?[/b]”

“[b]Certainly not your kind. I forbid it.[/b]"

"[b]Why?[/b]"

"[b]What you did to her at the races was a blatant insult to the entire Deacon clan. If you have any decency you will leave right away, and take those weeds with you.[/b]”

Henry narrowed his eyes, “[b]If I had known that crashing into Fervus would have caused her...[/b]”

“[b]--I’m speaking of your kiss with my sister![/b]” she huffed, “[b]I know you hold much ill-will towards me, but there is no reason to bring Morphia into this.[/b]”

“[b]That… that had nothing to do with you, Lady Bavaria. Is it so hard to believe that I might care for her?[/b]”

“[b]I know your kind, Grimalkin, all too well. You jockeys move even faster than the chimaera you ride upon, and I will not sit idly by and allow you to break my sister‘s heart just to spite me.[/b]”

“[b]That’s enough from both of you,[/b]” Primas commanded, “[b]Now I should get going, for I fear I have been away from the Mirror Palace for much too long already. Will you be alright without me Bavaria?[/b]”

“[b]Of course, but you have been far too kind. Allow me to take you to your carriage…[/b]”

The prince smiled. “[b]It would be my pleasure.[/b]”

Bavaria grimaced as she turned her back to Henry, clutching tightly onto Primas‘ arm, “[b]See her if you must. I trust you’ll be gone by the time I return, Grimalkin.[/b]”[/size][/indent]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/ladybavariaavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
So far her morning had been fairly uneventful as she checked in with the various patients, making sure that each one was being properly attended to. Potionists often fit in-between the nurses and the doctors of the medical establishments they worked in. Their training focusing more on the different applications of the miraculous mixtures from magi technology and regular medicines, making seemingly impossible things possible. And today would be no exception since it seemed that she had a new patient on her list. One who had been severely injured in the Chimera Cup yesterday.

Though Alecia didn?t really know Morphia Markham, she did at least know that she was Lady Bavaria?s half sister and that she often visited Rosengard since she knew Leonhart. Though Alecia herself had never really talked with or did much with her personally. Which was a good thing since she was going to be starting her treatments that would aid the healing of the broken legs and left arm that she had gotten from being trampled by the other Chimera?s when she had fallen on the track. Alecia remembered the accident since it had been one of the first or rather the first serious accident that day.

?[B]Good morning Lady Markham.[/B]? Alecia couldn?t help but notice all the flowers and even letters that were carefully placed in the room. With an eye to being in place so the patient could easily see them and the letters so Morphia could reach them with her right arm if she so wished. The nurse who had been checking the splints immobilizing both her legs and her left arm was just passing by as Alecia came in.

?[B]It?s nice to see that someone cared enough to send so many flowers and letters,[/B]? She said to Alecia, ?[B]Even if we have no idea who the sender is. Most of them were signed with only the single letter A.[/B]?

Alecia just smiled and then turned to focus her attention back on Morphia who was watching her as she came around to the side of her bed. ?[B]So how are you feeling?[/B]? Alecia kept it simple since she had that slightly dazed and odd look that came from one?s pupils being dilated from so much pain medication.

?[B]I feel terrible Alecia.[/B]? She finally managed.

?[B]I figured as much. Well I won?t lie to you,[/B]? Alecia told her. ?[B]Now that the doctors got your legs and arm in place so the bones can start healing, I?m going to be putting you on some potions that will be very unpleasant.[/B]? Alecia paused to pull up a high chair that let her sit down and yet still be up higher than the bed.

?[B]I understand you are versed with Chimera creation and as such you must be familiar with the practice of immobilizing an injured beast so that a special mixture can be given that will speed up the healing process when a wing is broken.[/B]? She waited for Morphia to give her the tiniest of nods.

?[B]This is similar, it will not only work with your body to help the bones heal quicker but to help ensure that they will be more than strong enough to support strenuous activity in the future. We will be offsetting it by keeping you on painkilling potions as well, but it won?t be enough to totally counter the effect.[/B]?

?[B]Just get it over with.[/B]? Morphia finally replied.

?[B]Very well then, I?ll start with your first set of injections for today.[/B]? Alecia got up and set her small case that she had with her on the small table in the room just for the process, carefully measuring out the set of injections before heading back to the bed.

?[B]If it makes you feel any better, this will be the worse one, as time goes by it will get less and less painful with each time.[/B]?

Morphia just grimaced and said nothing while Alecia did what was necessary, following it up with another set of painkillers and a powerful sedative. In about ten to fifteen minutes she would be asleep. Alecia squeezed her shoulder reassuringly, careful to avoid the bruises she had gotten before gathering her things to leave the room just as Lady Bavaria was returning.

?[B]She needs to be allowed to rest.[/B]? Alecia stopped her before she had taken no more than a few steps in.

Lady Bavaria was turning to leave as requested when she stopped at the site of one of the bunches of flowers in the room, a set of wildflowers. She took one step towards them and then halted when Alecia steered her out of the room.

?[B]Now please. She just received her first set of treatments to ensure that her bones heal properly and I won?t have that disturbed since she needs complete and total rest without distraction for several hours at least.[/B]?

?[B]Of course,[/B]? Lady Bavaria apologized and then left the room as requested, waiting for Alecia to close the door behind her before speaking up again. ?[B]How long before someone can keep her company again?[/B]?

?[B]Give it six hours, the painkillers and the sedative I just gave her won?t wear off before then. You can always wait in the lounge until then or even go and get some rest yourself.[/B]? Alecia suggested, noting how tired Lady Bavaria seemed.

?[B]There?s no point, no one wants me there and Morphia needs me here.[/B]? She said tiredly, making it clear that she had gotten little to no sleep since Lady Bavaria was never one to comment on whether or not she was welcome at Rosengard, even if it was true.

Alecia hesitated and then spoke, looking eye to eye with her. ?[B]I can?t exactly offer you a room at my place since you?ve already made it clear how you feel about Dame Anna and Henry and the two of them are staying there at the moment.[/B]?

Lady Bavaria straightened as if she had said nothing. ?[B]I would hardly expect you to.[/B]? She said with a hint of frost in her voice. ?[B]Though I have no intention of barring either you or Alexander from Rosengard again. The disagreement is not of your making.[/B]? She finished formally.

?[B]But Grandmother,[/B]? Alecia said as she steered her to the waiting area and one of the comfortable sofas that was off by itself. ?[B]Putting Henry aside, the great grandchildren want you around.[/B]? She smiled almost sadly. ?[B]Don?t you understand? Given time there are those who can and will accept you. And family honor or not, I have to accept Henry because Grandfather did. And because I believe it is what he would have wanted.[/B]?

She sat down in the small plush chair that was at an angle and yet facing the sofa that Lady Bavaria had sat down on. Alecia moved forward so she was close enough to keep their conversation private.

?[B]I accept him because I believe that it is honorable to own up to one?s mistakes and illegitimacy is a sin on the parent not the child. None of us choose who our parents are.[/B]? She paused when Lady Bavaria started to get that cold and distant look.

?[B]That?s besides the point though, what I?m trying to say is so long as we can simply agree to disagree, I think we?ll get along fine. I believe as a diplomat you would call that a compromise.[/B]? She smiled at the tiny little half grin that broke out on Bavaria?s tired face.

?[B]I can agree to that.[/B]"

Alecia smiled and stood back up. "[B]I know you can keep a secret Grandmother and though I was not intending to tell anyone before Alexander.[/B]" She paused and leaned over a bit.

"[B]You're going to be a great Grandmother again,[/B]" She paused as Bavaria's eyes widened slightly upon realizing what she was saying. "[B]I'm sure that your newest great grandchild will be glad to have you around.[/B]" And with that final parting statement, Alecia left to go and get back to work.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/img][/CENTER]
Victoria Ann found herself unable to concentrate on her studies, something that was unusual for her. Usually she enjoyed them so it was rare for her to be so distracted that most if not all of what her teachers were saying went unheeded. It was not the gossip and fuss over the school being robbed either. In spite of such an event being the talk of the school, after all, for Chaos to be robbed like that was unheard of.

There were of course the small thefts of students making things to create mischief, like the stink oil they had made to get the Head Master, something that still caused Victoria Ann to giggle over when she remembered the events at the Chimera Cup. But those were normal and nothing that would require the attention of the Royal Police Guard. Usually a stern lecture from one's teacher and parent, if one was caught, and the matter was over with.

But this was another story altogether, the huge storage rooms that housed the supplies for the students had been stripped bare, requiring the teachers to fall back on reviewing theory and other aspects of the subjects until the supplies were replaced, something that truth be told wouldn't take long. Chaos on some level was funded by the Dynasts so it wasn't like they couldn't purchase the supplies along with new security measures to keep such a thing from happening again.

No, what had Victoria Ann spacing was thinking about the Chimera that Gustave had given the Almagest family. Lucy. She couldn't get the beautiful creature out of her mind. More than anything she wanted classes to be over so she could head over to where he was keeping her until the lodging necessary for her was built on the Rosengard Estate grounds. She had a lot to learn since Lucy would need to be properly taken care of and Victoria Ann didn't have a clue as to what that required.[I] I hope Gustave will teach me.[/I] She thought, still oblivious to what was going on around her.

"[B]Hey![/B]" A sharp poke brought her back to her senses. [B]"You're not going to sit there during the morning break and daydream are you?[/B]"

Victoria turned to see that it was only one of her friends and that the students were indeed filing out of the class. "[B]Sorry, I was thinking about something.[/B]"

The girl laughed. "[B]I'll say, you've been scatterbrained all morning! Don't tell me you've forgotten what we're going to do to the Head Master during our break?[/B]"

Victoria grinned, "[B]Not a chance.[/B]"

"[B]Good, lets get going then, or we won't have enough time.[/B]"

Victoria just smirked and got up to follow along, they had already worked this out the other day, before the Wake and the Chimera Cup. They had carefully caught a hive of wasps and had it stored in a large special jar with holes so the things could breathe but couldn't escape.

She followed along as they sneaked into the attic of the school, jar in hand or rather in the hands of some fellow boy students who could carry the large jar with ease. It didn't take long to get to where the small trap door above the Head Master's office was located. It was suppose to only be for upkeep purposes but today... the students grinned when they realized that the office was empty.

Though they had expected it to be since the Head Master usually spent the time poking into the students business by talking to the teachers while they were on morning break. Something that the teachers didn't like since it cut into their own time off. Though it was more that he was trying to learn about the wealthiest families so he could find a way to pry into their favor, instead of a genuine concern about the students themselves. Much like he had pried about her and Harrison when they ended up in New Czenoble the day of the riots.

"[B]All right.[/B]" Victoria whispered as they carefully lifted the trap door up. "[B]Be careful with the lid so you don't get them excited.[/B]"

The boys just grinned as they did so, wearing gloves to protect against stings, then once it was open they tilted the jar, pulled back and then tossed the hive out so it flew and landed on the desk with a loud clatter, breaking into pieces.

Victoria and the others stifled their laughter as the creatures came out and started buzzing around the room angrily. With a smart turn she snapped the small door in place. Then, though it was hard, they moved as quietly as possible toward the exit so no one would hear them in the huge attic. Moments later, the jar carefully back where it belonged in the classroom and everyone was going about their business as if nothing had happened. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/audrey-avatar.jpg[/img]
[/center]

It seemed like they had been in the underground car park forever. When the steamcar finally found its way onto the street, the entire city seemed to explode with noise. High above, Vincent could hear the deep whirring of steam-powered machine guns. Shortly after the guns began to fire on the crowd, trails of black smoke emerged from all over the city; there were people returning fire everywhere. Vincent could hardly believe it. Clearly, the Underdogs had planned for a confrontation and even worse, they had come prepared for victory.

Audrey was facing the rear window of the car, her eyes glued to the Vigilant, which hovered noisily overhead. The steamcar was traveling away from the square, but the surrounding chaos made it slow going.

'I can't believe it,' said Audrey vacantly. 'They're actually doing it. They're [i]finally[/i] doing it. All those things we did, Vincent...all that hard work...we were devoting our careers to murderers.'

Vincent swallowed hard. He knew Audrey was right. Here he was, the Assistant Commander of the Royal Police Guard, stuck in the back of an official steamcar, trying to escape from one of his own vessels. It was firing indiscriminately on the square, but for now their car seemed to be far enough to be safe.

He suddenly felt violently ill and wanted to vomit. He had known Gaul was a tyrant, but he had become so comfortable with his job and his lifestyle that he had failed to see the bigger picture. [i]Why didn't I just go back to Anova when I had the chance?![/i] he thought.

The issue at hand was clearly to escape the city. But what would he do afterwards? He felt an overwhelming sense of homesickness. Le Monde was nothing like this - Anovans didn't know of this horror, he thought. He began thinking of his sickly mother, who had had not seen in months. What would she think of him? Her son, working for a cruel dictatorship. More than anything, he now suddenly felt that he had failed everyone. He'd lost Gadget, his mother was ill and he'd been more than happy to bring his assistant to New Czenoble when she probably didn't really need to accompany him.

'We're not going to get out in time if we stay in the car,' said Audrey. She had now turned around in the seat and put her glasses on. She seemed to have calmed down remarkably quickly - Vincent knew that she was only calm because she was trying to plan their escape; it distracted her from the horror occurring around them.

Audrey looked at her watch. 'There's a train coming in ten minutes or so,' she said quickly. 'If we could just get one block away, we can make it. The track running through the center of the city is underground, which means we won't have to pass by that ship. It could get us out of here.'

Vincent nodded, although he knew the train would be incredibly busy. Still, they stood no chance while they were couped up in a car that was barely moving.

Apparently the driver had heard them; the window dividing them slid down. 'Hey! I'm not leaving this car! You'd have to be crazy to go out there!'

Vincent and Audrey looked at each other. 'You don't have to go with us,' said Vincent, 'but please...you can't stay here. You have to find a way out!'

The window promptly slid back up. The driver was clearly too scared to move; he certainly wouldn't want to follow them to the train station.

'Okay,' breathed Vincent, 'we have to just do this. Are you ready?'

Audrey was visibly shaken, but she nodded resolutely. 'Let's go.'

[center][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]From the outskirts of New Czenoble on this cloudy day, the Cygnus and its new crew bore witness to the dreadnought that was firing on the town below.

Smoking a cigar and only occasionally coughing, Mr. Deacon watched from the pilot's seat. His demeanor gave no hint to what was going on in his mind. Gathered around his seat were a group of fellow vagrants, revolutionaries, and patriots. All of them watching and occasionally making noises in protest of Jack's cigar smoke. He shrugged them off however, they were in his ship.

[B]"To believe they'd fire on their own city." [/B]said one of the men behind Jack, excited murmurs of agreement followed his decree. [B]"And you, Mr. Deacon. You would watch this atrocity from a distance and do nothing?"

"Yep."[/B] replied Jack, taking a final puff of his cigar before putting it out and tossing it into a nearby ashtray. Everything on the Cygnus was bolted down, of course.
[B]
"So this tells the story of Jack Deacon."[/B] came an accented female voice. Jack cocked a surprised eyebrow and looked over his shoulder to see who said it. It was a young lady, no older than twenty or so. Her hair was silver and her skin dark, the color of mahogany, a foreign girl. [B]"The pirate who once inspired an island nation to throw down the shackles of colonial rule and declare its independence from Anova sits before us, a coward in his own city."[/B]
Jack thought back to the incident she spoke of... He honestly had no idea of what she was talking about. Apparently Jack Deacon the legend was many times more famous than Jack Deacon the man. [B]"Er," [/B]he began, not wanting to disappoint, [B]"right."[/B]

[B]"I was there on that island you know, the tiny nation of Kaha'namoku..."

[/B]Jack's mind went on a tangent as she named the nation. Kaha'namoku. He remembered going there in search of a fabled tika mask deep within the jungle caves of the island's interior. He and his crew couldn't get pass Anovan officials who occupied all major air lanes and ports into the city. They became drunk one night and started badmouthing the officials in front of a large mass of people who eventually joined in...did they revolt?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"I remember seeing you there, the shining beacon of our revolut-"[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"What's your name?" [/B]Jack interrupted, trying to avoid hearing another word about revolutions and such.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Kal'ani. Do you remember me?" [/B]she said, she ran a hand through her silver hair.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Can't say I do. But you are welcome on board. As are the rest of you." [/B]Jack began. [B]"But if you're going to be here, I suggest you find some work to do and stop belly-aching about what's going on outside of those windows. If you want to be of any help, I'd suggest Miss Kal'ani take the navigator seat and the rest of you find a station to man. I have two torpedo slots, a pair of rotary cannons, as well as a rail gun. Instructions can be found at each post on how to use them. I would also suggest that anyone who's ever been on a ship crew to fill the slots first."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Are you telling us to man battle stations?" [/B]asked one of the gawk-eyed crew members.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"No, I'm telling you to get in your positions and standby!" [/B]yelled Jack, which caused them to immediately scramble away in all directions of the Cygnus.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jack had originally built the Cygnus as a hit and run aircraftcapable of delivering a well coordinated blitz to allow he and his crew to get in and out in a speedy fashion. To achieve this, Jack himself had to rethink the very idea behind aircraft. He never liked how airships were little more than flying boats, incapable of turning, ascending, or descending quickly enough to really be effective in his line of work. The Cygnus, however, was just the opposite. He built it with the notion of being free to move in all directions as there were no limitations in the air, like a bird. He followed a small flock of swans in his old ship once, just to see them as they migrated. He recorded their movements and mannerisms and consulted every biology volume he could get his hands on to help him achieve his goal of making an iron bird. It took him five years to etch out the design, and another three to raise the funds for it. He equipped it with lightweight weapons, foregoing traditional cannons as they would only serve to slow it down. In their place, Jack had something installed that would probably not make its way into other aircraft for some years to come. Four years ago, Jack agreed to invest in a weapon being developed, a rail gun that used alchemical enhanced materials to launch an electrically charged projectile at twice the speed of sound. The weapon itself was so fragile, that it was guaranteed to break after half a dozen or so uses. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][B]"Captain," [/B]c[/B]alled Kal'ani from the nav seat. Jack hadn't been called that in a long time, [B][B]"All slots are filled. Every weapon is manned as you ordered."[/B][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jack nodded in approval as he began to circle the gunship. He didn't want to engage, but rather make sure that if it saw him, he would already have enough momentum to avoid it. The hum of the engines gave way to a nearly inaudible whine as they began picking up speed. [B][B]"Prepare the torpedoes for launch."[/B][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]Kal'ani repeated the order into the console [/B]microphone and moments later the call came back that they were ready. [B]"Are we to attack, sir?"[/B] she asked, her hands resting over the large knob that had the words LAUNCH on it. Jack waved his hand to signal no. He only loaded the torpedoes just in case. He still was reluctant to enter this battle.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The gunship shot another round into the city, sending smoke and embers into the air. The cries of the townfolk could be heard almost over the hum of the ship. They wouldn't be able to take much more of this. Suddenly, Jack saw an explosion hit the underside of the ship, and then another, and another. To his surprise, the townspeople were firing rockets at the ship. [B]"Well I'll be damned. There's a fight left in them yet." [/B]Jack smirked as he looked out onto the display.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Vigilant, in light of this began to hulk its way out of the danger zone, slowly. As it flew, Jack noticed that it would cross the path of the Cygnus at a little place called Bucket Hill. Bucket Hill sat on the outskirts of New Czenoble, far away from the steeples and high rises of the city, to serve as a natural barrier between the town and countryside. Jack maintained his course, not deterred. The gunship began shooting flares in the direction of the Cygnus. Jack knew that this meant back off or prepare to be engaged.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Your orders?"[/B] asked Kal'ani, whose hand had found its way back to the torpedo knob.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Give them the first shot."[/B] said Jack, still on his steady course. [B]"Let them hold onto their pitiful naval traditions."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The flares continued to be shot in the direction of the Cygnus. Jack however was unwaiverable. [B]"That's the problem," [/B]he began, [B]"They apply the rules of the sea to the sky, believing that it is nothing but a starry ocean for them to sail on."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Captain?"[/B] said Kal'ani, not knowing what to say.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"They don't realize that for us to make any progress, we're going to have to reinvent the very rules of engagement. We have to throw out the old ways in order to move forward. This is not just a fact of flight. It is also true of people, systems, and governments. That ship, those people in it, the markings on its side. They all stand for something that is no longer needed in this country or this world."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jack pulled a lever next to him and a projectile was seen flying through the air in front of the Cygnus. Down below, rockets were still firing up at the Vigilant as the projectile made its way forward between the two ships. Jack gave a nod to Kal'ani who pulled the lever. Suddenly, the projectile burst open to reveal an immense black flag, on which flowed the Jolly Roger. It must have been a heart sinking sight for the crew on board the Vigilant, as they knew their troubles were far from over. Time seemed to stand still as the Jolly Roger floated effortlessly in the air, but it suddenly caught back up with itself as the torpedoes found their targets. They exploded into the side of the Vigilant causing it to tilt violently before coming back to.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Rotary cannons at a ready!" [/B]yelled Jack. Kil'ani repeated his orders as they were done.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Cygnus, jetted in close to the Vigilant, moving so fast that the massive ship had trouble keeping up. Its heavy cannons fired mercilessly in the direction of the Cygnus, but they only found air as the Cygnus continued its assault. Jack maneuvered parallel to the Vigilant so that the rotary cannons could get in. [B]"Fire!" [/B]he yelled.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
From the cockpit Jack could see holes peppering into the side of the Vigilant as he made his pass, quickly finding himself behind the Vigilant. He gave the order to prepare the torpedoes once more as he circled around to the back toward the Vigilant. Two more torpedoes fired, hitting the propellors found so often on ships of the Vigilant's size. The Vigilant, its crew not prepared to die just yet, began firing its own rotary cannons at the Cygnus, sending sparks flying in all directions around it. Once again, the Cygnus' speed proved to be its greatest strength, allowing Jack to perform a wingover maneuver and speed off again. As he waited for his next set of torpedoes, he looked for a weakness. There had to be some way he could down the ship. He decided to go back in. He swept the ship again, firing profusely only to return to his safe place outside of the ship's range. He was lucky that his speed allowed for such hit and run tactics.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Explosions began peppering the bottom of the Vigilant again, Jack realized then that the townspeople had given chase, and were trying to help him. He swept through again, firing rotary cannons onto the side and taking out a few of the Vigilant's heavy guns. He fired torpedoes again, aiming for what appeared to be the bridge, but to no avail. One torpedo hit the broadside of the ship while the other flew off into the distance.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"I think they're going to get wise to our tactics soon."[/B][B]"Your orders?"[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] Kal'ani said as she recieved word that they were running out of torpedoes. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]No sooner than she had spoke, a rather large explosion came from the side of the Vigilant. The Underdogs who were firing the rockets hit something key. Jack waited until the smoke cleared before noticing that he could see clear into the ship from a hole that was just blasted into it. [B]"Prepare the rail gun!"[/B] he yelled.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]As he waited for the gun to get ready, he made another sweep, firing into the hole. As he was about to pull out, the ship craft jerked violently, causing Jack to bang his head against his headrest rather hard. They had just been hit. [B]"Get that God Damn rail gun ready NOW!"[/B] he cried, noticing the Cygnus was hit hard enough to loose its speed. He felt another jerk as another cannonball hit the ship. Jack decided to stay in the fray, firing on the Vigilant with his rotary cannons, if he moved too far away he'd be a sitting duck. The Cygnus was crippled indeed now.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]"Rail Gun ready!" [/B]screached Kal'ani.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jack pulled out again, getting the hole full in his sites. He steadied the Cygnus and immediately pulled a lever to his side. Everything went dark inside the cockpit for a moment, then there was a flash of blue light. The side of the Vigilant exploded, releasing large amounts of fire and smoke from the interior. Suddenly there were more inside explosions, each one chaining the next. Jack steered the Cygnus out of the way and looked back to see the Vigilant slowly falling in a blaze towards the ground.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The cheers of the crew could be heard throughout the ship as they flew off. Jack however was not celebrating with them. He knew what risks he had taken when he attacked the Vigilant, and he knew the full force of the RPG would be after him soon, if not gunning for him already. [B]"Set course for the countryside, we have to hide this ship."[/B] Jack said calmly, breaking Kal'ani's mood. She did as she was ordered and they flew off into the distance.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/damegrimalkinavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
It was a little on the early side for lunch for Catherine, but considering how chaotic the morning had been for Chaos she had felt it was for the best. With the supplies gone, the few hours preceding lunch could not be used for the application side of the students study. So instead of having them study she gave them a rare free period to do as they wished, something that was necessary while someone dealt with the angry wasps that had been discovered in Lector Moebius’ office. He had been so surprised that he had allowed most of the insects to escape into the school grounds since instead of slamming the door shut he had tried to escape into another classroom.

Catherine sighed, as much as she had tried to keep an open mind in regards to the new Head Master, it was clear that the only way he could have gotten the position was through some sort of favor or political connection. Even if she didn’t know exactly what it was. Historian or not, his appalling lack of knowledge when it came to teaching was staggering. In all of their conversations, it had become quite clear to her that he refused or simply could not see that knowing about teaching via history, didn’t make you capable of doing it. And instead of trying to learn, he was instead demanding respect, something that never went over well.

“[B]You’ve been sighing a lot lately Catherine,[/B]” Dame Anna said from where she was sitting at the small little table for a private lunch in Catherine’s office at Chaos.

Catherine turned from looking out the window they were seated next to and smiled wanly. “[B]I suppose it’s unavoidable. As much as I want to believe that Lector Moebius is somehow qualified to serve as Head Master, it’s painfully clear that he is not.[/B]”

“[B]There’s no surprise there really,[/B]” Dame Anna replied as she set her tea cup down on the small little table. “[B]The man, until now, has never entered a classroom since his own education was finished so long ago. He may be good at gathering information and writing it up for history purposes, but it’s quite clear from the stuffy nature of his writing style and inflated ego that he believes himself to be more capable than he really is.[/B]”

Catherine smile at the thought of Moebius’ writing style being stuffy, since it was exactly what she had thought when she had read the publications he had out. Just as she smiled at Dame Anna being more like her usual self, open and honest instead of withdrawing into herself. Catherine had so few people that she could talk to about anything without the need to carefully guard what was said. She and Dame Anna had been close friends for a very long time, it was something she hoped would never change.

“[B]Besides,[/B]” Dame Anna continued. “[B]The students parents were expecting you to be appointed as the new Head Master and regardless of who appointed that fool, they see him for what he really is. Someone who is not suited for being the Head Master of Chaos.[/B]”

“[B]That’s not what bothers me, I have no interest in the position itself and would much rather teach. But what I do care about is how he spends his time wasting the teacher’s breaks with prying questions about the wealthiest students attending the school.[/B]” Catherine shook her head in disgust.

“[B]He pays no attention to more pressing matters, like making security arrangements to ensure that the new supplies aren’t stolen when they arrive. Or to see to the current upgrades to some of the classrooms that are used as laboratories. Both parents and teachers are coming to me with complaints over the things that he has done nothing about in the past week.[/B]”

“[B]Have you considered lodging a formal complaint?[/B]” Dame Anna asked.

"[B]I'd rather not since the press would have a field day with that, turning it into a scandal as if I was after his position. They won't see it as a true case of his incompetence.[/B]" She looked away again. "[B]It would be better if the parents were to lodge such a complaint.[/B]"

"[B]What do you intend to do about the pranks the students are pulling?[/B]"

Catherine laughed. "[B]Not much really. I know I should, but at the same time, if he can't even deal with that sort of thing.[/B]" She laughed some more, shaking her head. "[B]If it gets too out of hand I'll step in, but for now?[/B]" She just smiled and the two went back to discussing other things.

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/charlesavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/meredyne-avatar.jpg[/img][/center]
[size=1][indent]Eva wandered the halls of Rosengard aimlessly, hoping for something, [I]anything[/I], to keep her mind off of the family’s recent troubles. It seemed each of her siblings had managed to preoccupy themselves with one thing or another: Beatriste had the children, Macey found peace in a new romance… even Fonty had his bottle. However, the young woman felt overcome with a lack of direction, of purpose. Eventually, she hoped, the malaise would pass. She admired a large statue in the East Wing when she overheard her brother from the parlor.

“[b]It was very kind of you to visit me at home,[/b]” Fauntleroy said, “[b]You’ll have to excuse the mess. It would seem we have lost many of our servants after the incident.[/b]”

“[b]There is no need to apologize,[/b]” An unfamiliar female voice replied, “[b]Many of my own staff have decided to leave their posts and attend the marches and rallies in New Czenoble.[/b]”

“[b]Amusing.[/b]”

“[b]Well, yes. While I admire their spirit, it’s their punctuality that is going to cost them their jobs.[/b]”

“[b]You run a tight ship Lady Artemis.[/b]”

“[b]Naturally, Fauntleroy. After all, tight ships are what my business is all about.[/b]”

As Eva entered the parlor she found Fauntleroy sitting with Charles around a small oak table. They were drinking coffee and speaking to Meredyne Artemis, who instantly commanded Eva’s attention by wearing a shimmering silver pantsuit.

“[b]Oh. Good afternoon everyone! I had no idea you were expecting company, Fonty.[/b]”

“[b]Meredyne was here to discuss Artemis’ bid for Magitech,[/b]” Fonty slowly stood up, clutching his shoulder tightly, “[b]Meredyne Artemis, this is my sister Marie Evangeline.[/b]”

“[b]I believe we‘ve met before in passing, but It‘s good to see you again,[/b]” Meredyne said with a polite nod.

“[b]Yes, I believe so. Hello.[/b]”

Charles motioned for Eva to sit down and she quickly found a place next to her brother, “[b]So what was this about a bid for Magitech?[/b]”

“[b]Please, let me explain,[/b]“ Meredyne replied as she poured herself a cup of coffee, “[b]While you can station all of the guards you want outside of the Celcius Complex, the bottom line is these revolutionaries refuse to go to work. To put it lightly, you have a situation on your hands.[/b]”

Fauntleroy nodded, [b]We’re all aware of the situation. But what exactly are you proposing?[/b]”

“[b]My company has done a study of your company’s assets, and while we don’t wish to purchase everything, we are especially interested in Magitech’s intellectual property. [/b]“

Charles raised an eyebrow. Meredyne‘s language was starting to lose him entirely, “[b]Intellectual property?[/b]”

“[b]Magitech’s research, designs, blueprints and formulas. The factories themselves would be refitted into housing of some kind, or maybe refitting to produce new goods. As you know, Artemis has vast holdings in the Old Globe and Anova. We have little need for more production.[/b]”

“[b]Won’t that only enrage the workers further?[/b]” Fonty asked.
Eva pouted, “[b]At this point, I can’t think of anything that [I]won’t[/I] enrage the workers![/b]”

Eva’s thoughts began to drift once again towards her recent experience in New Czenoble. It was obvious that the lower class aimed to destroy the city, and the factories were the driving force behind that anger. Between the Underdogs attack on Rosengard and her father’s passing, she could think of few reasons to sympathize with the plight of the workers.

“[b]Your sister is a smart girl, Fauntleroy.[/b]” Meredyne replied dryly, “[b]You both owe it to your family to free them of this burden., before anyone else is hurt.[/b]”

Meredyne reached into her satchel and removed a large piece of paper, slapping it against the table with great force. It was a contract, written in nearly microscopic ink, with several lines at the bottom for signatures.

“[b]You’re not a businessman, Fauntleroy, so please don’t try to deal with me on this. This will be my company’s first and only offer so please consider it carefully, before it‘s too late.[/b]”

“[b]That I will. Thank you for your time.[/b]”

“[b]Oh, of course![/b]” she said warmly, “[b]I expect a prompt reply as soon as you’ve discussed this with your family.[/b]”

“[b]Judging from the response to far, Meredyne, I don’t think it will be easy to convince them.[/b]”

“[b]You don’t have to convince them. Just make them sign the paper. Good day.[/b]”

Meredyne stood up, gave the group a satisfactory nod, and headed towards the hall. A nearby servant quickly rushed to her aid, leading her out of the room.

“[b]Quite the mercenary, isn’t she?[/b]” Fonty whispered into Charles’ ear.

He sighed, “[b]You have no idea...[/b]”

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/charlesavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/meredyne-avatar.jpg[/img][/center]

As Meredyne was about to step into her expansive gray carriage, Charles came rushing down the front steps of Rosengard.

“[b]Lady Artemis, the Royal Czenovian Guard has requested your assistance at once![/b]” Her driver announced as she remained fixated on Charles, “[b]The Vigilant has just been downed by an unidentified pirate airship.[/b]”

“[b]…Jack, what have you gotten yourself into now?[/b]” Meredyne whispered.

“[b]Meredyne![/b]”

She turned towards Charles, “[b]Yes? What is it?[/b]”

“[b]I hadn’t spoken to you since… yesterday morning, and you seemed so distant during your time here. Is everything alright?[/b]”

"[b]There's no time for this,[/b]" Meredyne replied entered her carriage, “[b]Charles, I must get going. There has been an emergency in New Czenoble that demands my attention.[/b]”

“[b]Are you free for dinner tonight? It would be nice to see you again. Maybe someplace less formal?[/b]”

Meredyne’s cheeks turned flush at the thought of Jack downing Czenovia‘s flagship, [b]…I don‘t know. I‘ll have to let you know.[/b]”

Charles tried to force eye contact with Meredyne, but she held her gaze towards the road, lost in thought.

“[b]And Charles?[/b]”

“[b]Yes?[/b]”

“[b]Please take care of your children in all of this mess. Elizabeth was a good woman, and you at least owe that much to her…[/b]“

“[b]Of course. Goodbye, Meredyne.[/b]”

Meredyne shut the carriage door behind her, and in an instant the vehicle was beyond the gates of Rosengard.[/size][/indent]

[/center]

The train station was suitably crowded, although Vincent was surprised that most of the activity was still around the city's center. Apparently most New Czenobles had decided to either take to the streets, or hide at home until they felt it was safe. The train station seemed to be mostly crowded with people who were returning home to High Czenoble; perhaps, thought Vincent, they did not want the crowds to turn on them next.

Vincent and Audrey ran to Platform One, which was the main platform running to High Czenoble. It was so full that people were almost fall off onto the tracks.

'I don't like the look of this,' said Audrey under her breath. 'Looks like the next train is still almost half an hour away.'

Vincent looked around and saw that the second platform was almost empty. A large sign above it said:

[b]MULDOVA LINE. NEXT ARRIVAL, 5 MINUTES.[/b]

He pointed excitedly. 'Audrey, look! The next train to Muldova arrives soon! Maybe we should go there instead? We can get out of this hell hole and find another way back to High Czenoble.'

Audrey looked somewhat unconvinced, but eventually she nodded in agreement. 'If nothing else, we can at least rest for a few hours and contact our families. Perhaps from there you can have a steamcar sent to pick us up?'

Vincent knew that as Assistant Commander this would be possible. However, he no longer wanted anything to do with the Royal Police Guard. What he had seen that afternoon had burned into his memory and he could think of nothing else.

'I don't know,' he admitted, 'but I'm sure we'll think of something.'

They sat at the end of a long carriage, as the steam train roared away from New Czenoble. Both Vincent and Audrey felt a tangible sense of relief.

'Thank god it's over,' said Audrey quietly. Her brow was still moist and she dabbed it with a handkerchief Vincent had lent her.

Vincent looked out the window. The deep grays and blacks of the city were giving way to green countryside, as they sped away from the city.

'I think,' said Vincent as he ran a hand through his hair, 'that it has only just begun.'

For a moment the pair were silent. Vincent examined the carriage with great interest. For the most part, it seemed that the entire train was empty. Vincent noticed, though, that there was one other occupant in their carriage. He was sitting at the other end and looked frail and dirty; his clothes were ragged and his hair matted. He looked like a vagrant who had wanted a free ride. Vincent didn't think he had a home to return to.

Seeing a vagrant on a train in High Czenoble was nothing new, but there was something odd about this man. Vincent had noticed him standing on the Muldova platform quite near himself and Audrey. At the time, Vincent had thought nothing of it - but he somehow had the feeling that the man had only decided to board the train at the last minute, when he saw Vincent and Audrey board.

Vincent had half expected the man to ask for Crownes, but he didn't. He simply sat there and stared at the floor. Maybe he was drunk, thought Vincent.

And yet, something was odd. Whenever Vincent looked away, he was certain that he could feel the man's stare. But when he looked directly at the man, there he was, staring at his shoes again. It was understandable, perhaps, that Vincent felt paranoid at the moment.

'When we get to Muldova, I'm going to have a long hot bath,' mused Audrey. She seemed to be brightening up now that the immediate threat was behind them. The quietness of the journey and the beautiful scenery distracted her from the horrors they had witnessed only an hour before.

Vincent didn't look at Audrey as he spoke. He continued to eye the old man. 'Do you think you'll return to Anova?'

'Possibly,' replied Audrey with a sigh. 'I don't know. I can't be sure of anything right now. If they close the border...I may never get out.'

'I will sign a pass for you to leave,' said Vincent. 'It'll be my final thanks to you for all you've done to help me.'

Audrey raised an eyebrow. 'Final thanks? Aren't you getting out too?'

'Oh, yes, I think so,' said Vincent. 'But before I do, I am going to resign from the Guard. Once I've done that, who knows. Perhaps it will be safe in High Czenoble. I've built a life there...and I don't want to go back to Anova without Gadget.'

A tear rolled down Vincent's cheek as he sat there silently. Audrey knew he was not a man who cried - or at least, she had never seen his emotions - but she did not blame him at this moment.

'I'm sure Gadget will return to you,' said Audrey softly. 'He loves you, doesn't he?'

Vincent smiled and nodded weakly. 'Yes, I think so. I hope so.'

'He may be young, but he's a smart kid,' said Audrey. 'Don't forget that he lived in New Czenoble for years. I'm sure he'll find a way out in no time.'

Vincent was eternally thankful for Audrey's small-talk, despite what she thought of his relationship with Gadget.

Vincent closed his eyes. Audrey did the same. Soon, they were both fast asleep. Audrey leaned on Vincent's shoulder and dreamed of home.

[b]"ATTENTION PASSENGERS, THIS IS THE FINAL STOP. PLEASE DISEMBARK."[/b]

Vincent woke with a start. He checked his watch. They had been traveling for a couple of hours and now, finally, they had reached Muldova. It was certainly further away than he'd first thought by looking at it from the air.

He woke Audrey and the pair disembarked the train and walked through the train station.

Muldova was nothing like either High or New Czenoble. Vincent smiled. Cobblestone lanes divided short, squat buildings, which were all decorated with elaborate signs. The architecture was closer to what Vincent had been used to in Anova; it was old and provincial, a far cry from the enormous cities that punctuated Mt. Grail.

It was late afternoon and the sun was no longer at its highest. Vincent and Audrey were exhausted.

'I think,' said Audrey with a playful grin, 'that we need to visit the nearest pub. You promised me some ale, I believe.'

Vincent laughed. 'Yeah, you got me there. Well, there's a pub right across the street from the station. How about it?'

Audrey winked. 'We'll start here and work our way down to the nearest hotel.'

The Chimaera Stable was a quaint little pub, full of old-fashioned wooden furniture. There were very few customers on the premises that day, which was probably not odd, Vincent thought, given the time of day.

Now that Vincent considered it, he realized that he had seen hardly any people on the streets outside the station either. He assumed that he was simply used to big cities - anything else would surely seem like a deserted backwater compared to High Czenoble.

'Looks like we have the place all to ourselves,' murmured Audrey. She was right. Now that Vincent thought about it, the entire pub was empty, save for the elderly husband and wife who ran it.

As the husband cleaned glasses behind the bar, his wife hobbled over to the pair with a small notepad in hand.

'What'll it be?' she muttered.

'Two glasses of Muldovan Ale, please,' replied Audrey brightly.

The woman muttered something else inaudible and walked away.

'What a little ray of sunshine,' squeaked Audrey sarcastically.

Vincent laughed. His laugh echoed throughout the empty room.

And then, he noticed something strange. The old woman and her husband were nowhere to be seen - the bar was empty. And, sitting a few tables away from them, in a large wooden booth by the wall, was the old vagrant from the train.

Vincent put his head in his hands.

'What's the matter?' asked Audrey.

'I don't know,' said Vincent under his breath. 'Something is wrong. I don't feel comfortable here. Maybe we should go straight to a hotel after our drinks?'

Audrey nodded. 'Of course. I just thought we could have a drink and distract ourselves a little...'

'I know, it's fine,' said Vincent. 'I just don't want to stay out any longer. I'm so tired.'

Finally, the old woman returned with two tall glasses sitting atop a silver tray. 'Here you go,' she murmured as she placed the glasses on the table.

Audrey took a strong swig of ale. 'Just like I remember it!' she exclaimed. 'It's so smooth, isn't it?'

Vincent sipped his. The taste almost made him forget his discomfort. 'It's excellent,' he said with a hint of a smile.

Both Audrey and Vincent chatted over their ale and soon, they had become absorbed in discussion.

As Audrey licked her lips and downed the last mouthful of ale, they both heard the squeal of a chair being moved across the floor. They looked up and saw the old vagrant standing up. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve and looked over at them.

'Who's that?' asked Audrey quietly.

'He was on the train,' said Vincent slowly. 'He was in New Czenoble.'

'What?'

The old man approached them and pulled up a chair at their table.

'I'm sorry,' he said, his voice weak and fragile. 'I couldn't help but come over here. I recognize you.' He pointed to Vincent.

This did not surprise Vincent. People often commented on his status - those in New Czenoble were especially familiar with his face, which had adorned several posters put up all over the city by the Underdogs.

'They say you're loyal to Gaul Rosier,' continued the old man, 'but I think you really want to help us be free.'

Vincent and Audrey exchanged surprised glances.

'Are you a member of the Underdogs?' asked Vincent. 'You can tell me.'

The old man chuckled loudly. 'Do not fear, the Underdogs are well known in Muldova. And they're widely supported, too. Look at this.'

He reached into his tattered jacket and produced a small badge. It had the familiar wolf's head symbol emblazoned on the front.

'I see,' said Vincent.

'I'm going to wear it proudly when New Czenoble is liberated,' croaked the old man.

Audrey grinned. 'Didn't Gaul tell you the Underdogs had limited support? Hah! If only he knew. Nobody outside High Czenoble likes him or the Guard.'

The old man nodded and grinned.

'You're supporters, are you?' he asked again.

Audrey smiled widely and raised her empty ale glass. 'Of course! Why do you think we're here? We fled the Vigilant. We aren't members, but after seeing what the Guard did today, we definitely sympathize.'

The old man clasped his hands together. 'Good on you! I'm so happy to hear it. I hear the Vigilant got shot down.'

'Really? That's good news,' replied Audrey. 'Don't you think, Vincent?'

Vincent nodded slowly. 'I hope it didn't kill too many people. We were lucky to make it out alive.'

'What will you do now?' asked the old man, turning to Vincent.

'What do you mean?'

'Well,' he croaked, 'you're now an unofficial Underdog supporter, aren't you? I'd think that would clash with your Guard responsibilities quite a bit!' He choked and coughed as he laughed.

'I guess so,' said Vincent. 'I think things need to change. I'm not sure what I'll do - I might go home to Anova. Or I might stay here and see if I can offer any help.'

'That's the spirit,' exclaimed the old man, 'Underdogs Forever!'

Vincent and Audrey raised their empty glasses again and laughed.

The old man smiled and pulled back one of his sleeves. Underneath was a large, golden watch. He examined it closely. 'Oh, almost time to go,' he muttered.

Vincent glared at the old man's wrist. How was it possible that a simple vagrant had such an expensive-looking watch? Audrey had apparently noticed it too, as her eyes widened.

She grinned. 'Where'd you get the watch?'

The old man ignored her.

'Hey, mister, did you hear me?'

The old man did not look up. A smile spread across his face. Finally, he looked up at the ceiling.

Vincent and Audrey looked up too and then they heard it; the sound of heavy thumping all around them. It sounded like dozens of heavy boots hitting the wooden floor.

'Vincent, do you know what the penalty for treason is?'

The old man was now grinning from ear to ear. His teeth were vividly white.

'What are you talking about?' cried Vincent. 'What's happening? What is that noise?'

The old man ignored him. 'The punishment, I believe, is death by firing squad. Although they may not wait for that. It might be quick and easy, if you're lucky.'

Vincent stood up quickly, his chair tumbling over and hitting the floor with a thud. Audrey did the same, her eyes wide with fright.

'What the hell is going on?!' he screamed, as the thundering of many boots became louder.

'It's too late, Vincent. They're coming for you. We always knew you'd do it.'

Vincent grabbed the old man by his collar and shook him violently. 'What are you talking about? If you don't tell me, so help me, I will tear you apart!'

The old man laughed loudly. 'And her,' he spat, 'she'll be re-educated, I'm sure. She'll be sent away. Nobody will hear from her again.'

Vincent shoved the old man hard and he went sprawling backwards into a nearby table. His mouth was bleeding.

'Almost here!' he cried out loud. 'It's almost over! They'll wipe your name from the history books, Vincent Achard. You will cease to have existed!'

Tears streamed down Audrey's face. She could not move; she seemed physically frozen.

'We were wrong,' she cried through her tears, 'they are everywhere. I'm sorry, Vincent. I'm so sorry!'

Vincent opened his mouth to speak, but suddenly the room went dark. He slipped into a cool black sleep.

He was sure he felt his mother sitting by his bed, dabbing his forehead with a damp cloth. He knew that when he woke up, she'd have a big warm hug waiting for him.