OtakuBoards

The Golden Compass

Pumpkin

[size=2][color=#CC0066][font=tahoma] What no Golden Compass thread? I take it no one has read Phillip Pullman books! I loved his books especially the Dark Material series however I didn't think the movie portrayed the book very well. It looked like the Narnia series all over again but they did it half-*****. I was pretty dissapointed especially when [spoiler] they left out the ending, where her father kills her friends, little Arthur or whats his name after rescuing him [/spoiler]

The only part that played true was when [spoiler] the polar bear is fighting the king and rips off his jaw [/spoiler] and they made it as PG as possible. I understand kids are going to watch this, but what happens when they get into the third book and make that a movie? There is a whole religious problem thats going to arise especially if I remember [spoiler] that they have to kill god to set everyone free in the Amber Spyglass from what I remember [/spoiler].

Has anyone read the series? And do you think they will edit out most of everything since the last book could be considered controversial?[/size][/color][/font]

Actually, there already has been a "Golden Compass" thread quite some time ago before the movie was released.

It even inspired Rachmaninoff to create a thread about censoring because of the whole protest of the movie. Anyway, I agree with just about everything you said. And if they plan on the next two movies to be just as watered down and horrible, I hope the project is never green-lighted.

BTW: I love His Dark Materials

I was not impressed with the movie at all. To be honest, I felt like I wasted my money by going and seeing it. The whole thing, even though some of the special effects were fun, lacked anything to truly drag you in, it was to be short, flat and stale and only because I had never seen it did I bother to finish.

Now based on how the movie came across, I figure it was one of two things that made it far from stellar in my opinion. It was either edited heavily, something I would not know since I have not read the books, or the storyline was watered down based on the expectation that you would have read the books first, making it more of a movie for fans instead of a true movie. Kind of like that Final Fantasy one... that was a joke if I ever saw one, for us non gamers and non fans that is. Anyway...

All I know is that I have no desire to read the books so I'll know just what in the world was going on. Not because of controversial material, but rather because it just doesn't interest me and if they do make more movies, I won't be going to see it. I will say this though, it was worth seeing once, if only for the steampunk aspect in the beginning of the film, but that was about it.