OtakuBoards

Turok

P.J. McKrafty

[COLOR=DarkRed]The legendary dinosaur hunting game is back, or at least it will be next Tuesday. Thought I'd start a discussion thread so we can share our thoughts on it.

I myself am bloody excited to see the revival of one of my favorite series. I wonder what the wonderful people of the OtakuBoards think?
[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]What the person, me, of the Otakuboards thinks; 'FINALLY!'

Ever since my manager went to a gaming confrence in '06 and brought me back a Turok t-shirt I've been like; 'Finally, finally, finally Turok comes back!'

I'm gettin' it today but the demo was pretty sweet. The quick kills you could do with your knife looked amazing and the ability to akimbo two shotguns? Brutal.

I'll chime in with more when I actually sit down and play the full game.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Okay, so! I've been playing the hell out of Turok because I've been waiting three years for this game and I must say; I'm impressed.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say it redefines the genre and, really, it doesn't even bring anything new to the table other than neutral dinos but it does have that charm of being a Turok game which, for me, is almost all I need.

The plot is fairly basic and no-nonsense. You play as Joseph Turok, a native American commando, and you're out with Whisky Company to hunt down a one Kane, who was your mentor and leader of your previous commando brigade; Wolf Pack.
Some bad stuff happens while you were in Wolf Pack and now you have some bad rep because of it.
Your ship gets shot down en route to the planet where you're supposed to launch your assault against Kane and nwo you realize that there is more going down on the planet than just Kane hiding. Dinosaurs.

The gameplay is your fairly basic FPS affair. Right trigger shoots, left trigger aims in for a more accurate shot. Your weapons are basic as well; SMG, Shotgun, Grenade launcher, and so on so forth. You can dual-wield many of the weapons in the game and each weapon has a secondary fire such as the shotgun shooting flares that lure dinosaurs or the pistol's three-round burst effect.

Now, something fairly unique is the bow and your knife which serves as your best and most brutal way of taking enemies out silently, or for me, herds of raging raptors using the Quick Kill technique when something gets to close while you have your knife out.

The game looks fantastic with ample use of lighting and the Unreal 3 Engine's shiny-ness effect. The jungles are lush and even the grass sways as you walk through it.

Even though you have a no-nonsense plot, and the FPS portion of the game is fairly basic you have a Turok game. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

The battle areas, which is what they are, seem to be just an arena with a sandbox like appeal. yes you can approach it at different angles but all you're doing is killing the same people differently, not that that's a bad thing. I would like to have seen a true open world sandbox Turok because we have the technology and the resources to do so. That would be the ultimate Turok.

On a lighter note, the linear sandbox [I]like[/I] game play is still awesome. The bow and the knife are brutal and the coolest way to kill someone in the game. also watching a dino tear through one of the enemies without you actually havening to do anything is pretty sick, not to mention the kamikaze dinos.

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE=1][COLOR=slategray]The plot is fairly basic and no-nonsense. You play as Joseph Turok, a native American commando, and you're out with Whisky Company to hunt down a one Kane, who was your mentor and leader of your previous commando brigade; Wolf Pack.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=#503F86]So much for the 'Turok' lineage and sense of spirituality, then. I preferred the Turoks when they were lithe hunters, not bulked up US commandos.[/COLOR]

I loved Turok the on N64. I played the hell out of that game. But when I played the 360 demo, I was very disappointed. Instead of typing up a long winded post about why, I'll let this Ctrl-Alt-Del comic do it for me. It really focuses on what I thought was wrong with the game.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5328/20080201ia2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=514&i=20080201ia2.jpg][IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5328/20080201ia2.3eeabc3db4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]You know, I'm one for continued story lines and all but the new one really didn't bother me as much as it bothered other people. Yeah, sure, he's this bulked up commando but he's still native-American with a sense of pride and honor; you'll see at the end.

And the dinosaurs make sense in context to the story line somewhat. A little far-fetched but sensible in fiction.

[SPOILER]Since they're terraforming an otherwise completely lifeless planet they started from where our earth began; the prehistoric era and are building up from there.[/SPOILER]

I honestly can't say I disliked the game at all. No disappointment.[/SIZE][/COLOR]