OtakuBoards

American Gods: The Gathering Storm

Lefty

[size=1][COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Century Gothic"]At a small table in the deepest corner of one of New York's most trendy coffee shops sat an unlikely pair, an old man in a cream-white suit and a young man in a dark, stylish jacket.

[b]"You would sit by and do nothing?"[/b] Asked the old man, his thoughtful grey eyes fixed on the youngster. The suit he wore seemed expensive, if outdated, his brooch was a silver emblem of a tree and despite his elderly appearance he showed no signs of frailty, being well over six feet tall and very muscular. He was leaning on the table, his fingers steepled and his coffee untouched.

[b]"I already told you, I'm not marching off to die for you."[/b] He replied, his voice wrought with scorn and disrespect. He seemed to pay the old man little mind as he sat, reclined, in his chair, sipping his coffee and gazed around the small shop, which was full of people this time of day. His hair was close cropped and as dark as his eyes while his skin was fair and he had a lean, athletic build. After exchanging a few glances with one of the shop's attractive young waitresses, he continued. [b]"It's pointless, Wednesday."

"Allow me to point out that you wouldn't be dying for me, you'd be dying for everyone... All your brothers, sisters and children... Even yourself."[/b] Wednesday responded, his expression betraying no emotion.

[b]"Too bad my intention isn't to die, then."[/b] He responded but before he could continue the brown-haired waitress approached the table.

[b]"Is there anything else I can get for you two?"[/b] She asked, giving the young man only a nervous glance.

[b]"Actually, I think we're ready for the check, hon."[/b] He said, before Wednesday could say anything else. She looked slightly disappointed but smiled shyly and made her way back to the counter. [b]"Face it, Wednesday, your not looking for me. You want my father, or maybe Ares."[/b] He said with a small smile.

[b]"Actually, I intended to talk to you about that."[/b] Wednesday said, leaning in slightly. [b]"I had hoped you'd deliver the message to others for me."[/b]

And at this, the young man actually laughed. [b]"Deliver the message? It's the digital age, old man, pick up a fucking phone."

"Oh, but you know as well as I do that the 'digital age' is risky. The message would be more meaningful to your family if delivered by you, and besides... I prefer tradition."

"Tradition or not, I don't see any reason to waste my time for this nonsense."[/b]

Wednesday sighed slightly and for an instant looked disappointed, but reached within his coat pocket and withdrew a small bottle which the young man quickly snatched out of his hand. He smiled as he held the rosy-red phial up to the light, [b]"Old man, I think we have a deal."[/b]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the past, when people believed in the Old Gods, their beliefs brought them with them, to America. But as time went on, they became forgotten and unworshipped, and as this happened their powers began to wane. Now, however there are new gods, that have been created by our modern ways of life- gods of television, technology, highways and media. There are some, like Odin (now calling himself Mr. Wednesday), who believe that the new and the old cannot coexist and have begun preparations for a war.

This an RPG based off of American Gods by Neil Gaiman (if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it). You will be playing as the modern incarnations of characters from all mythologies and folklore, the new gods, or even as a normal human who gets wrapped up in the affairs of the gods. The story will begin as Wednesday attempts to muster the Gods for battle and tries to persuade any stalwarts.

Character Sign-Up Sheets....

[b]Name:[/b] Both what your characters 'true name' is (like Odin) and what they choose to go by (Mr. Wednesday).

[b]Mythology:[/b] A brief description of what mythology your character descends from or what modern concept gave birth to them (leave blank if human).

[b]Gender:[/b] Self-explanatory

[b]Appearance:[/b] Self-explanatory

[b]Personality:[/b] Your character's personality, how they act, how they live in modern society, and everything else. Remember that your character isn't the precise figure from mythology, rather a modern incarnation of such.[/COLOR][/FONT][/size]

OH HELL YES. (My favorite Neil Gaiman book.)

Name: Barrett "The Baron" Saturday (Baron Samedi)

Mythology: In Vodou (or voodoo), Baron Samedi is one of the aspects of Baron, one of the loa. He is a loa of the dead, along with Baron's other incarnations Baron Cimetière, and Baron La Croix. Baron Samedi stands at the crossroads, where the souls of dead humans pass on their way to Guinee. As well as being the all-knowing loa of death, he is a sexual loa, frequently represented by phallic symbols and noted for disruption, obscenity, debauchery, and having a particular fondness for tobacco and rum. Additionally, he is the loa of sex and resurrection.

Appearance: A tall, slender, dark haired and dark skinned gentleman who's never seen without his tuxedo, top hat, and winning smile. Appears to be in his early thirties, but has the dark, cold eyes of a man well versed in the cruelties of life.

Personality: Barrett is a dashingly handsome, worldly fellow with a taste for trickery. He can be seen in all company, whether swooning with the drunks outside the local pub, or waltzing with the dilettantes at a white tie gala. For some strange reason, people feel inclined to like him, relating to him like an old friend. With his fun-loving, hedonistic attitude, what's not to like? But when the party's over, Saturday's nowhere to be found, and everyone's left with a crushing sense of emptiness that none can truly describe.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Name: Ai Friday (Shu)

Mythology: In Egyptian mythology, Shu (meaning dryness and he who rises up) is one of the primordial gods, a personification of air, one of the Ennead of Heliopolis.

Appearance: She is tall and lean, well built and pretty. She has long black hair that reaches to her hips that is tied in a braid 99% of the time. She has bright blue eyes with green around the pupils and yellow on the outside of the iris. She wears form fitting blue jeans, white, tailored button up shirt with a black blazer, shin high steel toed boots, black sunglasses and a chain that connects from her front belt loop to her back pocket which holds her wallet.

Personality: Ai is hyper and all over the place to the point of being obnoxious but she is always welcome due to her friendly disposition and good humor. She loves to have fun and enjoy her life. She is friendly to everyone she meets and does what she can to male people feel good. She lives alone in a two room apartment and likes her solitary as well. Her favorite pastime is dancing at clubs and out drinking the guys.[/COLOR][/FONT]

If anything needs changed lemme know.

Name: Alexial Mai (Morrigan)

Mythology: In Celtic mythologies she is usually seen as a terrifying figure. She is associated with war and death on the battlefield, sometimes appearing in the form of a carrion crow, premonitions of doom.

Appearance: [URL="http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/Selene_Lilitu/fantasy/VictoriaFrances.jpg"]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/Selene_Lilitu/fantasy/VictoriaFrances.jpg[/URL]

Personality: Alexial is a very dark, solemn, and timid girl. She has problems trusting people and doesn't talk much. She can usually be found in the forest with her raven, which she saved. Most people tend to see her more of a ghost than a person, since she tends to roam around in a distant state. Not talking to anyone or acknowledging anything. If someone does earn her trust though, they learn she is a very nice girl with a broken heart.

Her parents were killed when she was a child, and she was adopted by an old librarian who taught her many things about mythologies, and fantasies through his stories. Alexial especially loved the stories of war and death. She would spend hours reading in the woods, and return home late at night, if at all.

[size=1][b]Name:[/b] Sidonie Winter Diarmuid [Terpsichore]

[b]Mythology:[/b] Terpsichore was one of the nine Greek muses; she was muse of choral song and dance.

[b]Gender:[/b] Female

[b]Appearance:[/b] Sidonie is rather short and dark, skin the color of dark mocha, eyes the color of obsidian marbles ? the pupils are so wide her whites nearly disappear. Her hair contrasts sharply with the rest of this image, being a nearly white shade of blonde with honey colored streaks throughout, which is cut short around her face in an abundance of corkscrew curls. She leaves it loose, although sometimes she?ll add a shiny clip somewhere. She wears a short black skirt, loose, and a gold tank top with rhinestones on the low neckline. She?s rather fond of the Greek-styled sandals, also gold, and wears a black cropped jacket over the shirt. Her ears have four piercings each, two in the lobe, two in the top cartelidge; the bottom holes have huge hoops, and the rest are gold studs.

[b]Personality:[/b] Sidonie majored in art, and performs for small bars and such. Her personality is warm, but not overly bubbly, and she has a slight seductive purr to her voice. She attracts men and women alike. She has an affinity for music and is a pretty good dancer ? even if she can?t reach the bar.

This is one of my most favorite books ever.[/size]

Name: Oculum Set (Bragi)

Mythology: Bragi is the Norse god of poetry. Bragi is known to have runes carved into his tongue. He was known for his wisdom and fluency of speech and skill with words.

Appearance: Oculum stands at about 5,9. He has long, brown hair that looks as if it hasn't been washed in awhile, and a long unkempt beard. He has tattoos of runes scattered across his body. He usually wears loose fitting clothes, sandals, and carries a backpack. But he is not a strange to something more formal.

Personality: Oculum could be viewed as a hippie. He is very relaxed and easy going. He usually prowls around the streets singing songs. He always greets new and interesting people. He is also a very patient person, never wanting to rush into something without first looking at the pros and cons. His voice is also very quiet and soft.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Sienna"]Alright, I'll be putting the RP up tomorrow night (sorry about the delay, I started posting it on Saturday but my internet went out, and since then time keeps getting away from me). Sign-ups will remain open throughout the RP so don't be worried about joining late. But for now, here's my sign up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Name:[/b] Goes by Hermes usually but calls himself Freddy Dolios when a pseudonym is needed.

[b]Mythology:[/b] Hermes was the messenger of the Olympic Council and was, in many ways, a trickster god in his own right. Often depicted as an athletic youth, he was the patron of thieves and travelers due to his constant travels and thieving habits from his youth.

[b]Gender:[/b] Male

[b]Appearance:[/b] Hermes appears as a young man with close-cropped dark brown hair and a very athletic physique. His eyes are the same dark brown as his hair although his skin is much more fair. Usually wearing the latest fashions, his overall appearance is usually judged as very attractive by 'normal' humans.

[b]Personality:[/b] Hermes is unconcerned with the decline of worship that troubles the Old Gods so much as even in the old days he never had a very large cult of worship. He embraces modern culture, and is content to drift his way through it. His time is usually spent either gaining funds from various cons and odd-jobs or enjoying the youth culture of America. While he is usually rebellious and free-spirited, he is very loyal to his father, Zeus, and would join the battle if ordered by him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, there it is. Kudos to you guys who guessed who he was from the bit I posted before and double kudos to those who get why he goes by 'Freddy' (my avatar is a hint). Anyways, the RP will be up tomorrow night if all goes to plan.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]