OtakuBoards

Baltimore; good asian markets?

timotheus

Hello, first post here.

I am moving to Baltimore, MD in several months. One thing that I'm worried about is, here in Sacramento, CA I am close to several Asian markets, where I can buy all my favorite Japanese foods and RAMEN of diverse flavors.

Can anyone who knows Baltimore tell me of any good Asian Markets, or at least a world market kind of place?

Many thanks! If I can't get my Sapporo Miso Soup flavored ramen I might cry.

[color=indigo]I am not sure if it is still there but Asian Food on York (or Reierstown, I haven't lived in Maryland for some time and my memory sucks) probably has what you are looking for. [/color]

[quote name='timotheus']Hello, first post here.

I am moving to Baltimore, MD in several months. One thing that I'm worried about is, here in Sacramento, CA I am close to several Asian markets, where I can buy all my favorite Japanese foods and RAMEN of diverse flavors.

Can anyone who knows Baltimore tell me of any good Asian Markets, or at least a world market kind of place?

Many thanks! If I can't get my Sapporo Miso Soup flavored ramen I might cry.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='timotheus']Can anyone who knows Baltimore tell me of any good Asian Markets, or at least a world market kind of place?[/QUOTE]Why not take advantage of the Internet and you know... check for listings of Asian markets/grocery stores in that area. Your likely to get a much better response than you would from a message board. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Why not take advantage of the Internet and you know... check for listings of Asian markets/grocery stores in that area. Your likely to get a much better response than you would from a message board. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well because sometimes there are places off the beaten path, that wouldn't come up on an internet search.. Like if someone from Soul Society ran it. :)

@Heaven's Cloud - hmm now that you mention it, I might remember seeing something on York.. (I visit the area once a summer) Thanks!

[quote name='timotheus']Well because sometimes there are places off the beaten path, that wouldn't come up on an internet search.. Like if someone from Soul Society ran it. :)[/QUOTE]True but at least you'll know you won't have to go without the Sapporo Miso Soup flavored ramen you mentioned. And even if there was nothing, I'm sure you could find another way to get what you wanted. Sure it would be a pain to have to order and have something shipped to you, but still. It would work.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Of course, you could always branch out and sample the Baltimore/East Coast cuisine. Man cannot live by ramen alone....

Watch the tea, though. They have no sweet tea up there, but "there's sugar on the table".
(Morons. :p)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oh definitely. I actually used to live there for 10 years, so I'm looking forward to daily access to crabcakes, for example. The seafood there is second to none, in my opinion.

There is more 'old world' cuisine there as well, which I'm looking forward to partake in.

Though I'll be living on the cheap too, so my rice maker will be working OT I'm sure. :)

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You ever been to Calabash, NC? Talk about seafood....[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Sorry man, I've spent plenty of time on the Eastern Shore and used to live in Wilmington NC (and have travelled upand down the North Carolina coast more than I can rememeber). Seafood on the Eastern Shore is far superior (the tea isn't though).

Now, if you venture down to Charelston, South Carolina, their seafood (and restraunt quality period) destroys the Eastern Shore's. [/color]

Haven't been to Baltimore, but there will definitely be an out of the way anime shop in the dark corners of the local mall. Or at least someone buying manga in the Barnes & Noble who knows where you can find more.

Charleston on the other hand is an amazing city. The summer nights in the cool breeze with a plate of hot shrimp and real sweet tea . . . GOD. But unless you plan on touring the EC that doesn't help a whole lot. So yeah, the best advice I can give you for the cruel cold north is ask around. Somebody is bound to know where to get what you're looking for.

[quote name='Inculta_Bellum'] But unless you plan on touring the EC that doesn't help a whole lot. So yeah, the best advice I can give you for the cruel cold north is ask around. Somebody is bound to know where to get what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

Actually planning on exploring a lot of the EC, though north of baltimore, all the way up to maine. I'm a cold weather fan. :D

Yes, once I arrive there I will start trying to find where the local otaku congregate, and blend in..