OtakuBoards

So, i'm signing up for the SATs.

dposse

so, i'm signing up and it's asking me to pick my field of study and then up to five Majors. The thing is, the Majors are so vague that i have no clue what they are. Can anyone here please define what each of things are and you do in each of them? thanks.

300 - Computer and infomation science and support services
301 Artifical intelligence and robotics (i think i get this. It's learning how to build robots...),
302 Computer programming,
303 Computer science,
304 Computer software and media applications,
305 computer systems analyisis,
306 computer systems networking and telecommunications,
307 Data processing,
308 Infomation sciences/studies

[COLOR=#6d527f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Computer Programming is pretty much what it says, building / modifying the code that makes a computer run to whatever you want.

Computer Science is pretty much using computer languages, EX: C++ and JavaScript (Or at least thats all I've done this year). I could probably make a pretty good guess on the others, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, Google. Learn it. Cherish it. Love it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='dposse']so, i'm signing up and it's asking me to pick my field of study and then up to five Majors. The thing is, the Majors are so vague that i have no clue what they are. Can anyone here please define what each of things are and you do in each of them? thanks.

300 - Computer and infomation science and support services
301 Artifical intelligence and robotics (i think i get this. It's learning how to build robots...),
302 Computer programming,
303 Computer science,
304 Computer software and media applications,
305 computer systems analyisis,
306 computer systems networking and telecommunications,
307 Data processing,
308 Infomation sciences/studies[/QUOTE]

300 is stuff like Information Technology and helpdesk.

301 is as it explains, however there's a lot more to building robots than you might think. I've touched on the matter before between the VICKY matrix engine and the GENESIS platform I built a while ago, but even what I've got is barely scratching the surface.

302 is as written computer programming, though that seems to generalize all the programming fields including some AI-related stuff.

303 is if I am not mistaken research and development of computers and computer-related equipment, stuff like designing new systems.

304 is mainly focusing on things like Operating Systems and user software and their support and deployment, most likely it would lead into graphics or a helpdesk type role.

305 is analyzing and designing computer systems as a whole, likely it covers material such as why systems work the way they do or how to find and eliminate bugs effectively. They also often will get into Database system management, as production environment machines are rarely as self-contained as home computers are.

306 is where I am studying right now, networking computers in addition to other telecom equipment that may or may not use common protocols, these days with the popularity of IPphone technology computer networking and telecommunications are becoming highly intertwined. Expect stuff like CISCO equipment and certification, and other training programs like CompTIA Net+. Typically will lead into a network administration field.

307 is as-written, likely it gets into the processor cores and how the computers actually process the information they get. Though it also ties into data collection tools and probably subjects like Digital Signal Processors common in such devices nowdays.

308 I am not entirely certain of, though it probably has to do with internet based data sources and services, how to administer and maintain them, and probably how to construct them.

There's a lot of overlapping areas in that list though, and most of the time you can jump from one to the other fairly easily without too much loss of credits etc.

Btw, my SAT score back in 2005 when I took it was 1170/1400. Which isn't too bad I think, higher than most of my classmates got.

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] Not to downplay your request, but don't sweat it. Picking majors when signing up for the SATs really has no consequence whatsoever. You could pick Russian Literature and it wouldn't matter.[/font][/QUOTE]This is true, it will make no difference whatsoever when you start college. I mean... >_> I had no clue what I wanted to major in so I just randomly picked some that looked interesting. Once you start school, no one cares what you picked when signing up for the SATs. And if you haven't taken them just yet... good luck. :catgirl:[/FONT]