[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Startling Revelation[/B][/CENTER]
Phaidra hated dealing with suicides. She knew that humans were prone to despair and often easily influenced, but she still didn?t fully understand why they would give up on life. She knew it had to partially be on account of their inability to sense beyond what they perceived as death. It just pained her to see the look in their eyes when they realized the foolishness of what they had done.
It was no different with Mr. Cox, the husband of the woman she had sent on a short while ago. With the collapse of the catering business after her death he had fallen into a deep depression. A short while after the funeral he had taken his own life. Phaidra had been required to hold herself aloof from it. As a reaper it was her duty to avoid influencing the humans. But it didn?t keep her from being required to send him on his way, like she had for his wife.
She, and any other reaper, was allowed to work and interact with humans, but when it came to matters of the afterlife, she was forbidden to interfere aside from sending them on their way. For the first time she wished she could do more, even though she knew she could not. Phaidra couldn?t explain that killing himself would solve nothing. She couldn?t explain the problems such a move would cause.
Phaidra sighed softly, unaware that she had done so. The others would be arriving at her place soon. Adrian had requested a meeting as soon as possible. She was glad for it since it gave her something else to focus on, just as the lack of catering work now gave her more time for her own research.
Adrian was the first to arrive, but to her surprise he seemed agitated and annoyed. Instead of taking a seat when offered, he paced back and forth in the main room, clearly impatient for the others to arrive. Once they had, he didn?t hesitate. He barely gave the others a chance to take a seat before speaking up.
?[B]I found out how the Vampires make the black blades.[/B]? He declared bluntly. ?[B]Astera and I found a report on it when we were searching to see if traces of the Jian Clan were ever found.[/B]?
He didn?t give any of them a chance to respond, to ask how such a thing was possible. He simply told them what he had found.
?[B]They make them from the essence of a Shinigami.[/B]? He finally stopped pacing and faced them, as if daring them to challenge that statement.
Phaidra could no more get a question out, let alone challenge anything. It felt like the ground had opened up beneath her feet and swallowed her whole. She couldn?t imagine how such a thing was even possible. The only thing that seemed clear was that, as horrible as it sounded, it had to be true. There was nothing on Earth that a Reaper couldn?t simply phase through, other than perhaps another Reaper.
The others started bombarding him with questions, Phaidra still couldn?t think of what to say. She was still wondering how it was possible to turn their essence into blades that could be used to kill. The principle made sense, but the very idea seemed impossible. She couldn?t imagine how it could be done.
?[B]Did it tell you how they did it?[/B]? Phaidra finally interjected.
Adrian shook his head. ?[B]We didn?t have enough time to finish reading all of the records on it. As soon as we can, we?re going to return and read the rest.[/B]?
?[B]I wonder if that?s why some of the blades felt different.[/B]? Alex mused. Puzzled the others looked at him. ?[B]I mean I wonder if some of the reapers that were killed recently were turned into blades.[/B]?
He flushed a bit when it was obvious the others had no idea what he was talking about. ?[B]Sorry, I was just wondering if the reason one of the blades I encountered felt different was because it was newly made.[/B]?
?[B]What do you mean by different?[/B]? Lucia asked.
Alex shrugged, spreading his hands out, palms upward. ?[B]I don?t know how to explain it. I just know that some of them feel off. I gave the one I found like that to Nathan.[/B]?
Lucia frowned slightly. ?[B]I kept the dirks from the vampire Phaidra and I dealt with for research. Would you be able to tell if they felt different?[/B]?
?[B]I don?t know. I can stop by if you want me to.[/B]? Alex offered.
?[B]Yes. I do[/B].? Lucia stood up. ?[B]I want to talk to you later too, Adrian. For now though, I have to take care of some assignments.[/B]? She turned and took off. Karl, who had said nothing, followed along with Ruby.
?[B]I?ll see if my instructor knows anything about it when I return to the other side again.[/B]? Phaidra said. ?[B]If there is magic involved, he would know about it.[/B]?
?[B]You do that.[/B]? Adrian ran his right hand through his hair. ?[B]In the mean time, like Lucia I have to take care of work.[/B]?
?[B]I should get going too.[/B]? Alex stood up. ?[B]You missed Nathan?s explanation of what we were supposed to be doing the other day. If you don?t mind company, I could come along and fill you in.[/B]?
?[B]Fine by me.[/B]? Adrian replied.
Phaidra watched them leave and then turned to Sarvel who had been quiet the whole time. ?[B]What do you think?[/B]?
?[B]I wish I could have seen the blade that Alex said feels different.[/B]? Sarvel said. [/FONT]