OtakuBoards

Mario Kart Wii

Ellerby

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]Its been a while since I've been on here so I thought I'd put some of my thoughts on the game.

It took me forever to find a copy and I couldn't seem to find one but finally was able too. I am very pleased with the game especially the WFC play. However compared to the old MK's such as the ones for SNES and such, its one in the same to me. I can't say I am dissappointed, but I can't say I am in ecstacy over the game. Old things such as the "Lighting Bolt" items and such as that are far too frequent for me which in the old games were gifts from God during a race.

The other thing I was very disappointed in was the fact that some of the older tracks that they brought into the game were changed dramatically. For example, Rainbow Road in MK for SNES was the funnest map for me. It was a classic in the MK world and in MK:W I am very disappointed about the amount of changes made to the map. Now I understand, new games require change, but even when it comes to other tracks the change didn't seem to be necessary. In the Battles, the name of the track is lost in my mind (I believe its Block something or other), they changed it to the point that its hard to even maneuver around the map. I like change, but I like classics as well.

The thing I dislike about the game most, however, is the fact that items are completely not random like they were in the older versions of MK. If you are leading a race, it is a literal impossibilty to get something to defend you besides bananas, maybe a green or red turtle shell once in a blue moon, or the fake random item boxes. That disappoints me. Obviously its still easy to win the race but its just not something that rubs me the right way. And in the opposite, when you are trailing far enough behind the leaders, you always manage to get a Star, Lightning Bolt, Blue Turtle Shell, or even the rocket, which the name also escapes me. For me, I wish the game was more balanced.

However, the game has some perks as well. Playing online is absolutely a blast. You can play with people all over the world and its quite fun. I was just playing a game with my brother not too long ago and we played for hours, so that is definitely a plus.

Also, some of the newer tracks are very fun and some difficult to learn and master. I myself havent had the game for too long and am working on the 150 CC races at the moment, and some are giving me difficulty.

I also appreciate the introduction of the bikes into the game. They are a little different which is very cool. And the ability to unlock new cars, and new bikes with the ability to unlock new characters is also a plus. This is the first MK I've played since MK for SNES, so its definitely nice to have a classic game with some new perks introduced to a system that I have.

The game is definitley an experience and if you are an MK fan like James said, its worth the money. I would suggest to anyone that owns the Wii to go out and have a blast on the track with Mario and all his friends and foes.[/size]

• 1 month later...
I'm gonna just start off by saying that I love this game, mostly. I played the original when I was a kid, but I didn't do it incredibly often, so I'm not a total expert. I've really just been playing two player with a friend, just having fun, and I haven't really tried for all of the cups and stuff. So today I decided to do that. I was absolutely infuriated. At one point I had to put the game down.

When I'm in first place and get hit by a blue shell, I get aggravated. but when I'm in first place, with the finish line in sight, and get hit by a blue shell, a red shell, a pow box and a lightening bolt in succession, and subsequently, finish the race in third, I just get mad.

There are serious flaws in this game. Item distribution is insane and sometimes stupid, the courses are too short, and the courses that I remember as a kid are so adapted for the wii that I can't even recognize them anymore.

Nintendo really needs to step it up.

• 1 month later...
[color=#4B0082]I borrowed Mario Kart Wii from a friend yesterday so I've been playing it a lot. A bit ago I sat down and blew through all the 50cc cups in one sitting, getting one or two stars on them. All the twos were on the classic cups since I already knew the tracks.

The new mini-turbo system took a bit to get used to but I'm liking it a lot now. Basing it off how far you've turned while power sliding, instead of how fast you can twiddle the control stick back and forth, eliminates snaking entirely and again makes it into a game of finding the best path along the tracks. I'm really happy about that since MKDS allowed a downright idiotic amount of snaking, to the point where it took over the entire game if you wanted to be competitive.

The tricks are a nice addition and also more fun than thumb twiddling. Driving along a bumpy stretch of track and doing tricks off every little jump is great. Especially since it's harder to control when you're going faster, so you have to be good to make the most of the speed boosts.

I haven't tried online by myself yet but I did play a bit last night while over at my friend's place. It was really smooth with no noticeable lag. I'm looking forward to racing you guys once I get through the 100cc cups.

Here's my FC: 4124-7294-7708

I registered Treble already but I didn't see any other codes in the thread here. You guys should post 'em in the Arcade Online thread so we can get a list together for MKW.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Four days, four classes completed with one or two stars in each cup. :animesmil

So, after having beaten the game as such, I didn't find the CPU to be any cheaper than in Double Dash. Which is not really saying that much, since they were hella cheap in DD. But, still, nothing I wasn't used to.

The requirements for getting three stars seem to be way more strict than in DD, though. I played some pretty amazing cups, getting 1st place with a couple seconds lead in each race, and I still only got two stars. That sort of performance would've gotten three stars in DD easy so I'm not sure what kind of superhuman abilities they expect in MKW. I doubt I'll have the patience to three star all the cups like I did in DD.

Also, I discovered that snaking isn't completely dead. If you use a lightweight on a bike with high acceleration you can snake along wide straightaways and make up for your low top speed.[/color]