OtakuBoards

Great News!!!

Guest Akito

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B]

[color=indigo] On a large scale I understand that is theft, hence the end of Napster, and that is what would get Akito in trouble if they were liscensed in America. But on a small scale it is not illegal to make a copy and distribute it for free, hence give it to a friend, as long as you are not doing it for profit...At least I'm pretty sure[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Wrong.

No matter what scale it is on, it's illegal. People just don't get prosecuted for making copies of a CD for friends. If all of the titles Gendo was offering were unlicensed, there wouldn't be a problem (it's still technically illegal, but we fansubbers have found what you might call a loophole in the law -- as long as there is no money involved then it's kosher), but what he's offerening is mostly licensed...hence the problem...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinji v2.0 [/i]
[B]

Wrong.

No matter what scale it is on, it's illegal. People just don't get prosecuted for making copies of a CD for friends. If all of the titles Gendo was offering were unlicensed, there wouldn't be a problem (it's still technically illegal, but we fansubbers have found what you might call a loophole in the law -- as long as there is no money involved then it's kosher), but what he's offerening is mostly licensed...hence the problem... [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Agreed.

Technically, distributing copies of copyrighted materials is illegal (even taping movies off TV is technically illegal, but obviously, it isn't enforced).

But I do object to people mass-distributing copyrighted materials. [/size]