OtakuBoards

Wanted

Raiha

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Wanted: For everything.

Just kidding.

[URL="http://www.toxicshock.tv/news/wp-content/uploads/wanted_movie_poster3.jpg"]Click Here to see the movie poster and Angelina Jolei's sexy body plus gun.[/URL]

Anyway Wanted came out this past weekend and today I'm going to see it with a friend just to make sure that the adrenaline rush, the cheese factor, and the bang bang bullet time is just as good as the comic book was.

Of course the comic book was a profanity laced violent celebration of gore and super villains that brainwashed the world. Instead they're assassins, but we'll see how the movie takes this. Anyone else seen it yet? R rated: for sexual references, pervasive violence, drug use, etc etc etc etc etc. Tee hee.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[font=trebuchet ms] [spoiler]I felt bad for the rats. They just wanted peanut butter.[/spoiler]

I've never read the comic book, but to me the movie was a mixture of badassness and complete failure. The beginning seemed to build up a cool movie, and I was liking everything until [spoiler]we find out that a loom of fate (wtf) has a secret binary code (wtf) and that by interpreting this code...(somehow), the names of people the Fraternity must assasinate are given. Ok, so when I thought about it, this was acceptable. It wasn't terrible, and they needed some sort of magical background or something, so I'm still interested.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Then the train scene. Honestly, I think at least 3 train segments full of people just happen to die because Angelina Jolie decides to drive her car into the side of the train. And then more people die by falling into an abyss. And then somehow, after colliding with rocks and being smashed by giant hulks of metal, Angelina Jolie saunters into view (uh..) with her anorexic arms (I'm all for a sexy kickass woman, but seriously).[/spoiler] This sort of turned me off.

This was all interlaced with cool training montages and fighting scenes and etc., and [spoiler]that awesome scene where James McAvoy just tears up everyone while running down the hallway. I can't decide if I thought it was awesome but it really was, or because I think James McAvoy is wonderful.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And I guess the last lines of the movie annoyed me too. It was sort of overkill, the last line, like we didn't understand that one of the movie's themes was to take control of your life. I also don't really like it when characters speak to the audience in a movie. Ferris Bueller being the exception.[/spoiler]

So I guess it sounds like I really hated this movie, but it was still a great watch. The three examples of lameness I gave were just three moments*, and the rest of the movie was pretty cool. I don't regret seeing it in theatres at all.

*[spoiler]Bear with me, but I also though Morgan Freeman saying "Oh, ****" and "kill this ************" were so incredibly OOC and lolz.[/spoiler][/font]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]*[spoiler]Bear with me, but I also though Morgan Freeman saying "Oh, ****" and "kill this ************" were so incredibly OOC and lolz.[/spoiler][/font][/QUOTE]
I completely agree.

I thought this movie was pretty kickass. Much like Shoot 'Em Up, I think the over exaggerated fight scenes and cheesy dialogue is what makes the movie awesome. Thankfully there was very little cheesy dialogue so in the end it ended up more like Fight Club than Shoot 'Em Up. Except not as epic. Because Fight Club is awesome.

I've got to say there was some pretty cool camera tricks used through out the movie. The special effects were amazing. [spoiler]My favourite part of the entire movie is when James McAvoy freaks out at his boss lady and then his "friend" pops up and James takes a keyboard and ***** smacks him as hard as he can across the face. The best part of it is that when a bunch keys fly at the screen and they spell out "F U C K (tooth) Y O U."[/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]There is a Wanted movie? Ooooh, right! That loosely-based piece of garbage? Right.

The comic is Wanted and nothing more. It had more style, more edge, and better writing. Wesley Gibson was better in the comic and Angelina Jolie's character was actually a black woman based on Halle Berry, so, why couldn't they get her for the film? This is of course among many other problems.

Some comic books should never make it to the big screen and Wanted was one of them. It was a travesty on film and I hate every single second of it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Baby baby, it was a movie. And besides, the only movie to successfully represent a book was "To Kill A Mockingbird."

All others typically mangle, leave out, or completely gloss over the good parts of any and every book. So don't feel bad. And I went into it knowing that it's already a guild of assassins and not super villains with tight bums. It was the only way I could forget that the comic was astronomically better.

But since we all know that the X-men and Spiderman comics were ALSO infinitely better than the movies, I'm not sure why you're so angry about this particular bit of new stuff.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]
Oh baby, baby. I can be angry.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I love it when you get all mad on me like that.

But they did quote it at points directly and they did pick a main male protagonist that really did look the way he did in the comic. We should be grateful of these Gifts from Heaven.

And Iron Man landed in an entirely different study from the rest of those.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Wait, so, a male with dark shag hair is the same as a male with blonde Eminem hair? Huh. I was way off, I guess.

Either way, I'm jaded and I'll probably never ever like that movie.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

While I still haven't seen the film, from what I've seen of screen shots and my understanding, I have to agree. [b]Wanted[/b] was one of my favorite comic books/graphic novels ever, and the main character in the source material had blue yes, short-cut blonde hair (though to be honest, he did have some weird Kid 'n' Play dread-top going on for a minute in the first issue), and also he was significantly buffer. I mean, damn, the actual Eminem is buffer than that guy. I think he could've pulled the role, he did descent enough in [b]8 Mile[/b]. In fact, he probably would've been perfect for it.

And yes, I to am dissapointed that one of the hottest black chicks in comics was turned into Angelina Jolie (she may be hot, but Halle Berry definetly belongs in this role, it was MADE for her, pretty much. Jolie can have Catwoman).[/color][/size]

Sounds like I'll have an advantage when seeing this since I've never read the comic so I won't have any expectations of what should be in the movie. I'll probably never read the comic so whether or not it's better won't really matter. Personally, from what I've seen it just looks like something that would be fun to see at least once.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'] Personally, from what I've seen it just looks like something that would be fun to see at least once.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Yes, it's sort of like [i]Shoot 'Em Up[/i], the movie you're only allowed to watch once.[/font]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Sounds like I'll have an advantage when seeing this since I've never read the comic so I won't have any expectations of what should be in the movie.[/quote][color=#503F86]I hadn't read the comic but it didn't help me any, heh.

I found the whole thing rather... frivolous. I could enjoy some of the set pieces, but the entire ethos of the film was messy. So you're supposed to take controlf of your destiny [spoiler]by taking orders from a loom? And then rebelling against people who kill by... killing them?

That last line was absolutely apalling, as well. It left a disgusting taste in my mouth along the lines of 'you can only be someone important and cool if you have a big-*** gun'.[/spoiler]

A lot of the gore was unrealistic and unnecessary (yes, I [I]know[/I] it's a comic book, and having [spoiler]Morgan Freeman swear for the hell of it[/spoiler] was a rather blatant way to get a cheap laugh out of the intended audience.

Having said that, the overall structure of the story was quite interesting, and one or two of the plot twists were nicely done. The most satisfying bit was when he [spoiler]has that massive rant in the office, because it showed he had a degree of intelligence, which seemed to diminish over the rest of the film[/spoiler].[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][color=#503F86]

That last line was absolutely apalling, as well. It left a disgusting taste in my mouth along the lines of 'you can only be someone important and cool if you have a big-*** gun'.[/spoiler]

A lot of the gore was unrealistic and unnecessary (yes, I [I]know[/I] it's a comic book, and having [spoiler]Morgan Freeman swear for the hell of it[/spoiler] was a rather blatant way to get a cheap laugh out of the intended audience.

Having said that, the overall structure of the story was quite interesting, and one or two of the plot twists were nicely done. The most satisfying bit was when he [spoiler]has that massive rant in the office, because it showed he had a degree of intelligence, which seemed to diminish over the rest of the film[/spoiler].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms]What I was trying to say, except I failed. The last line really did bother me, because while I knew (or at least I thought) the director/writer was trying to tell the audience that we should simply "take control" of our lives, the context was just terrible. The way it was done, it was as if they were saying [spoiler]why haven't you been trained like an assassin yet? Where's your giant sniper?![/spoiler].

[spoiler]And now that I think about it, McAvoy's rants about his daily life/office work in the beginning of the movie were probably some of the best parts[/spoiler].[/font]

[SIZE=1]I was under the impression that the comic book was supposed to be about pure escapism - the office drone who finally breaks free of the tedium to become a super-assassin, the ultimate in escaping repression. I thought as an exercise in pushing how far escapism can go, the film was good - the action sequences were just over-the-top enough, and although the story had holes in it the size of the Grand Canyon it was easy to overlook this as a pure adrenaline-fuelled thrill ride.

I mean, [spoiler]bending bullets just by "believing you can"[/spoiler]? [spoiler]A loom that predicts the future[/spoiler]? I'd be the first to say a big "WTF" to all of that. And if [spoiler] we're supposed to be "taking control of our own destiny," should we still be following instructions given by a bloody loom as Wesley was at the end of the film[/spoiler]?

I also found Morgan Freeman's character to be far too one-dimensional. He started off being a bit of an arsehole because he was making people [spoiler]beat Wesley up, and cut him with knives and stuff[/spoiler], and ended up being a total arsehole for [spoiler] trying to make everyone kill Wesley[/spoiler].

However, as many of the rest of you did, I thoroughly enjoyed [spoiler]Wesley's office rant - in fact I almost cheered when he tonked his "mate" round the face with the keyboard[/spoiler].

So, is it a fantastic movie? By no means. It's not even the best action movie I've ever seen (if we're talking over-the-top action and high body counts, Die Hard wins). But as an example of how far escapism has brought us it is a good one. In having Wesley escape his hum-drum office life and become a super-assassin, we are given two hours of escape from our hum-drum lives.

(Damn, you can tell I'm a film student, can't you?)
[/SIZE]