OtakuBoards

Suggestions Needed!

daldaren

Ok! This is my first time posting here, so I'm sorry if this thread is out of place. I've been an anime fan since I was young(er), and have slowly been draining away lists of 'quality' anime my friends have given me over the years. Finally, I find myself running short on a list of 'what to watch'.

So, I've come here on a mission: finding advice on some anime that people feel would be 'for me'. I've compiled a list of what I've seen so far, and rated them. I've also got a brief description of my 'taste' in anime (i.e. genres / styles).

What I like:

First off - the age old one - dub or Sub.. I really don't care. I find some anime has very fulfilling Dubs, while others do not. I don't speak japanese, so I find it harder to relate to the characters with my imagination through Subs, but all in all I enjoy them just the same.

Second - I am a big fan of almost any romantic comedy. A guy... that likes romantic comedy at that. Slice-of-life, Sci-fi, etc etc, almost anything suits me. Below is a list of my favorite 5, followed by a list of what I've seen. Any suggestions based off of what you see would be great, I'll try to check back and respond as often as I can to let you know that I've got your suggestions. Thank you ahead of time. :)

-Positions debate-able-
Favorites (So far!):
1: Mahoromatic
2: Ai Yori Aoshi
3: Lucky Star
4: Eureka 7
5: Tenchi Muyo (All series)

Complete List (Rated 1-5, 5 being great, 1 being 'meh'):

Ah, My Goddess - 4
Ai Yori Aoshi - 5
Air Gear - 3.5
Air TV - 3.5
Azumanga Daioh - 5
Basilisk - 4
Beck - 4
Berserk - 3
Bleach - 4
Blood+ - 3.5
Chobits - 4.5
Code Geass - 3.5
Cowbow Bebop - 3
DearS - 3
Death Note - 3.5
Elfen Lied - 4
Eureka 7 - 5
Evangelion - 3
Flame of Recca - 2
Full Metal Panic - 5
Full metal Alchemist - 4
Getbackers - 1.5
Ghost In the Shell - 3
Gun X Sword - 3
He Is my Master - 4.5
Hellsing - 4
Inuyasha - 4
Jinki: Extend - 1
Kiddy Grade - 3.5
Last Exile - 4.5
Love Hina - 4.5
Lucky Star - 5
Mahoromatic - 5
Naruto - 4
Onegai teacher - 3.5
Outlaw Star - 5
Read or Die - 4
Rurouni Kenshin - 5
Saiyuki - 3.5
Sailor Moon - 2.5
Samurai Champloo - 4
Samurai Deeper Kyo - 3.5
Scrapped Princess - 4
Tenchi Muyo - 5
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - 4.5
Tokko - 2.5
The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shōjo - 4
Trigun - 3.5
Trinity Blood - 3.5
Utawarerumono - 4
Wolf's Rain - 3.5

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='daldaren']Second - I am a big fan of almost any romantic comedy. A guy... that likes romantic comedy at that. Slice-of-life, Sci-fi, etc etc, almost anything suits me.[/QUOTE]If you want slice-of-life [I]and[/I] a Romantic comedy, then what you need to watch is[B] Lovely Complex[/B]. Though you'll have to make due with Subs since it hasn't been dubbed yet. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm looking at your list and I seem to notice you have a decent tolerance for the typical shonen. I'm going to recommend a couple of staples of that genre you seem to have missed.

-Dragon Ball (start at the beginning. Z isn't quite as awesome.)
-One Piece (it can be slow at times, though. Give this one a few episodes and DON'T GET THE 4KIDS DUB.)

Also, I'm recommending Lupin III. It's not exactly mainstream and it's from the 70's, but I don't know anyone who doesn't like it. Decently funny and it's always something new.

Oh, and if you're open to a bit of light reading, I suggest you check out the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. While the anime was decent, it was nowhere near as good as the manga. I guess that's what they get for starting too soon and catching up to the original too fast. Much better storyline and some really cool characters the anime never got around to showing.[/FONT]

Actually, I have watched the Dragon Ball series (Z included.. ) and I found myself with mixed opinions. Dragon Ball was alright, however Z and Beyond got rediculous with the whole "this is the most powerful being in the entire universe!!!" "No, we meant this guy over here..." "Ok this guy over here, for real this time". At least that's the feel I got from it. hehe.

One Piece on the other hand I havent checked out yet, so I'll write it down. Thanks much for the suggestion. :D

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]As far as romantic comedy is concerned, the best I think I've seen is [B]Ouran High School Host Club[/B]. It's a bit girly, yes, but absolutely hilarious. Not quite as random as Azumanga Daioh, but really has its own brand of humor. If you don't like the first episode, don't bother watching the rest. It's more of the same.

This one I'm not sure if you'll like, because I have trouble classifying it. It's called [B]Dennou Coil[/B], and you may have trouble finding it. It's pretty new, I don't think it has an American license yet. But if you can find a legal copy (I know they're out there) then more power to you. It's essentially about a group of kids with these internet-like virtual reality glasses that let them see and do things in the real world that aren't actually there. But there's a big mystery about whether or not the glasses can kill you. Great fun.

I'm not sure if this counts, but if you liked Cowboy Bebop [i]at all[/i] (you only gave it a three...) then you should see the movie. Doesn't matter if you've finished the series or not, as it's supposed to take place at some time within it. Short description: it rivals Miyazaki in terms of awesome.

And if all you've seen of Ghost in the Shell is Stand Alone Complex, then for God's sake, go see the first movie. Waaay better. If the stand alone series is a 3, the original movie is a 7. After all, the movie came first.

Lastly, (I should have thought of this earlier) [B]DNAngel[/B]. I would recommend the manga version of this one, as I can't say much for the anime. It's kind of a shonen, but with a lot of romance (and a good deal of comedy) thrown in. And a very original art style. At least I think so.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Just added Ouran High School Host Club. I've seen the Cowboy Bebop movies, as well as the GITS Movies - enjoyed both. Dennou Coil I've started watching via the torrent-site that most forums tend to shy from like having mentioned that starts with a d.....

As far as DNAngel, I think I may rent this one.. I've actually never stepped into the realm of Manga, but if I find the anime interesting I may.. if I can find an affordable way to do so.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hehe

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]For starters, if you watch DNAngel, start with the anime first. A lot was left out so that way when you go to the manga it will be fun instead of going from the manga to the anime and going... I can't believe they left that part out! Also, the manga is not finished. The author took a long break and has only just started writing for it again.

Anyway, a fun if not insane show is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's basically where a super depressed teacher meets his exact opposite, an ultra happy girl. It makes for all sorts of odd and zany situations.

Plus these guys forgot a great slice of life comedy that if you liked Lucky Star you'd enjoy. And that would be Fruits Basket. It's about a family where some of the members are cursed by the zodiac and change into the animal they represent when stressed or hugged by a member of the opposite sex. It's wonderfully funny. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

If you've watched Full Metal Panic... then you really need to watch[B] Full Metal Panic Fumoffu[/B]. It's one hundred percent totally insane and wacky. A couple of the episodes will just have you in stitches.

Also, though it's more psychological than anything, [B]Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo[/B] is an excellent anime. The visuals take a little getting use to, but it's well worth it.

I watched and Loved Fumoffu - so much so that I bought the DvDs (something I only do with my favorites). I tried to watch Gankutsuou, however, I found the art-style kind of... distracting and unappealing to me. I'm not entirely sure why, but I found myself less and less interested in the plot and more and more irritated at the artwork.

I'll possibly give it another shot though, I hear my positive things.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]If I could suggest a random, hyper comedy that you have to watch...it'd have to be FLCL or Fooly Cooly or Furi Kuri (whatever). The show is definitely worth watching for it's wacky antics and the amount of crazyness in there. I still re-watch the series from time to time just to see if there is anymore I can take out of it, and I still find things that I didn't see before. The show is littered with pop culture references, both Japanese and Western World. Give it a watch.

Another series would be Cromartie High School. This starts off as an offbeat story, but quickly turns into another Azumanga Daioh or FLCL minus the cute girls or the awesome music. The wacky antics the boys get into are sure to leave you in stitches. This carries high regards from me. [/FONT]

[b]Ouran[/b] is the best suggestion I've seen so far. You'll love that show. Also agree with the [b]Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei[/b] suggestion.

I'm a big fan of [b]RahXephon[/b]. It has a bunch of the cliche mecha trappings, but it does some interesting things with them. Plus, at heart, the show is a really good love story (no, seriously). And, as always, I'm a fan of anything that messes with time (in this case, Tokyo Jupiter being [spoiler]seven years behind the real world[/spoiler]).

[b]Clannad[/b] is a good one. Nice and romantic at the end, and it's funny as hell. If you're looking for something funny, then you also need to see [b]Genshiken[/b]. That had me cracking up every few seconds.

If you're in the mood for a movie, too, then you should see [b]The Girl Who Leapt Through Time[/b]. Really fun time travel story.

Just about 1/2 way through Ouran atm, loving every second of it. Also adding Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei to my 'to watch' list. Thanks for the suggestions guys, if you think of any more feel free to mention them! :)

I second the rec for Clannad.

As for stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet... hm, [B]Shingu[/B] is a decent slice-of-life show. The premise sounds all dramatic, but then it turns out to be incredibly mellow. Also has nice-looking animation and an interesting cast of characters.

I'm very fond of [B]Brigadoon[/B], although it tends to be a love-or-hate kind of anime for most people. Worth a shot at the very least, I think; it's a hidden gem, and it just might be up your alley. Takes slice-of-life, drama and comedy to their respective extremes.

What about [b]Strawberry Marshmallow[/B] (also called Ichigo Mashimaro)? I didn't find it to be nearly as funny as some other people have, but Miu, one of the main characters, makes basically the entire show worth it.

If you enjoy school-based comedies, [b]School Rumble[/b] is an absolute must. Perhaps [b]Pani Poni Dash[/b] as well, although your mileage might vary.

~Dagger~

Definately more suggestions I'll write down. Pani Poni Dash ... I just couldn't find myself soaking into, maybe I didn't give it enough time, or something.. but it's very spaztastic from what I saw.. And while I enjoy a level of spaz-i-ness, I think this one was just.. too much of it.

But then again, I only watched maybe 2-3 episodes before I gave up. :p

Fyi - finished Ouran High School Host Club (thank you days off), absolutely loved that. Definately one to remember.

• 1 month later...
Ok, I'm getting bored again.. break before fall classes is coming up, so I am looking for a few more suggestions. I've found myself stuck to romantic comedies more-so than before.. as well as teen-school comedy. Keep in mind, solid female characters are a plus.

I've recently picked up watching Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu whenever fansubs are released, as well as Itazura na Kiss, both of which I enjoy quite a bit. I've also taken quite a bit to D.Gray-man. Chrno Crusade was interesting, but kind of... lacking...

I've also found myself watching more and more Subs than Dubs. If you're familiar with a fan-sub group that covers your suggestion, feel free to name or PM me the groups name. I know AniDB has a good list for each one, however, some people prefer a specific groups translations, so the opinions are helpful. :)

Currently coming via Mail/Download:

School Rumble
DNAngel
Mai-HiME
Clannad

Updated List (Seen / Watching):

*Rated 1 (worst) to 5 (best)*

Ah, My Goddess - 4
Ai Yori Aoshi - 5
Air Gear - 3.5
Air TV - 3.5
Azumanga Daioh - 5