OtakuBoards

limited posts - trouble to reply

Viviane

Dear OtakuBoard staff,

Today, I intended to response and say thank you to the four posts which I get for my uploaded artwork.

Unfortunately, when I wrote the fourth one, following message appeared:

[B][COLOR="Red"]We're sorry, you are not permitted to make 4 consecutive posts.[/COLOR][/B]

Now, I have to wait until someone probably write a new comment on this artwork, before I can reply to the other member.

It makes sense to limit post to avoid spamming. But there should be made a differentiation between unrelated posts and replies. It would be great if you could upgrade this.

Thank you very much in advance,
Viviane

[font=franklin gothic medium]You're referring to commenting limits on theO here, yes?

I will raise this with Adam when I see him, but in the meantime, any theO moderators should feel welcome to post in response to this.

I am not sure if the system will be modified at all, but this is worth raising if it's becoming an issue or limitation. Thanks for doing so. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I am not sure if the system will be modified at all, but this is worth raising if it's becoming an issue or limitation. Thanks for doing so. :catgirl:[/font][/quote]It was originally raised from not being able to post more than once unless someone else had commented, to allowing up to three responses. [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/official/view/1557/3%27s_a_crowd.../"][U]Update[/U][/URL] That was one of the new features that was added with the launch of VV. Though I can see wanting a little more than three, perhaps five? Or if possible the ability to direct a response to more than one person in one comment.

Anyway, that's all I know about it. But until that's looked at or changed Viviane, you can always use pm's (as a temporary measure) to thank those you couldn't send a direct comment to. Not as easy, but at least you'll know they got it.

[color=#4B0082]Like the others have said, there's not really any way to get around this right now, except for using PM's instead of comments.

The problem is, it's pretty much impossible to make a good automated system that can determine the difference between spam and an on-topic comment. So that's not really feasible.

I think the best solution would be to allow a single comment to be a reply to multiple people. That seems like it shouldn't be too incredibly difficult to do. I'll also bug Adam about it the next time I talk to him.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I have raised this with Adam today and linked him to this thread. So now it's in his hands.

Having said that, Viviane, I would also consider what others have posted here. It's a good idea to use one comment to respond to multiple people - this is pretty easy to do and it saves space as well.

Alternatively you could definitely send a PM their way to thank them (after all, you may prefer your comments to only relate to your art rather than to be filled up with thank you notes).

So you have a couple of good suggestions there. :catgirl:[/font]

Wow, thank you very, very much guys, for your great help!!! I'm happy for all the nice answers and good advices!~^____^~

I think I will write several responses in one post.
PMs would be nice too and as you, James, already said, it doesn't look this well to see all the "thankyou"-posts lined up. Unfortunately, experience has shown that people often write back, because PMs are more personal and all-too quick it evolve into a mail-friendship. I very appreceate it and feel honoured, but I really don't find the time anymore to maintain mail-friendship. I just would disappoint people. So, I rather keep a low profile.^^;;

In case the commenting system would be upgraded, just a little suggestion:
Perhaps, it would look more clearly arranged, if the response-post would appear beneath the relating "asking"-post, maybe a bit indented.
Further, I saw some systems, where the response-posts were hidden and if you click on "show" or a plus-symbol, it opens under the "asking"-post.

Thanks again and nice greetings,
Viviane