Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Otaku Prose Contest Round 1 (Charlie Bravo VS. Chibi-Master)


Recommended Posts

Posted
[CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"]THE GREAT OTAKU PROSE CONTEST[/FONT][/SIZE]

Round 1

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Red"]C[/COLOR]H[COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR]R[COLOR="Red"]L[/COLOR]IE B[COLOR="Red"]R[/COLOR]A[COLOR="Red"]V[/COLOR]O[/FONT] [FONT="Impact"]VERSUS[/FONT] [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Pink"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]H[/COLOR][COLOR="Wheat"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="Pink"]B[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="Pink"]-[/COLOR][COLOR="Wheat"]M[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Pink"]S[/COLOR][COLOR="Wheat"]T[/COLOR][COLOR="Pink"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Voting is open to ALL Otaku members except Charlie Bravo and Chibi-Master. Voters, please state your vote clearly. Also, please give your reason for casting your vote the way you do. [COLOR="Red"]Voting will close on Friday, January 23.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[B][U][SIZE="4"][FONT="Courier New"]The Challenge: Six Fiction[/FONT][/SIZE][/U][/B]
Each contestant will compose [SIZE="3"]3[/SIZE] short stories. Each short story must consist of [U]exactly[/U] [SIZE="3"]6[/SIZE] words. Voters will choose their favorite six-word story, thereby voting for the author of that story.
Posted
Anthony was killed by his dentist.

Dalia ran into a flying panda.

Psychotic mailmen took over the planet.

____________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, Mykul...PM me if it isn't.:animedepr
Posted
[FONT=Arial]Despite the forfeit of three opponents, and the resultant lack of need to vote, I still feel the remaining competitors deserve some feedback.

I have something I want you to look at, [COLOR="DarkRed"]chibi-master[/COLOR]:

[QUOTE=Mykul]In the 1920s, Ernest Hemingway bet a group of colleagues $10 that he could write a story in only 6 words.

His story- [B]"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."[/B][/QUOTE]
This quote was from the earlier 6-Fiction thread that [COLOR="DarkRed"]Mykul[/COLOR] started, and exemplifies the idea behind the challenge. Your entries are not bad, in that they do tell a story, but the story is very limited in scope. Hemingway constructed something that not only told of a single event, but also told of the events leading up to that event [I]and[/I] the extraordinary emotions felt by those involved in the event.

The point is, next time try to go [I]beyond[/I] merely Anthony being killed by his dentist. Try to find a way to express something more, something beyond the single event.

[I]Anthony disappeared, last seen by dentist.[/I]

Nowhere near Hemingway's accomplishment, but there is a touch more there.

It's all in the variations. You took the concepts fine. But give them time to ruminate, to grow.

Good luck in the next round![/FONT]
Posted
[size=1]The fact that someone couldn't find time to participate in the six fiction challenge just boggles my mind. Wow.

-Shy[/size]
Posted
Thanks for the suggestion, Allamorph! I knew mine weren't very acceptable, but it was all I could do... I will try harder the next round! Thanks for the feedback! And Shy, Charlie Bravo has been missing for a while, so I sort of expected this...
Posted
My sentiments mirror yours, Shy. Of all the challenges, I thought this would be the most fun. It's very sad that Mr. Bravo didn't play along.
Posted
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]The fact that someone couldn't find time to participate in the six fiction challenge just boggles my mind. Wow.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame because I really would have liked to participate in this. :([/COLOR][/FONT]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...