OtakuBoards

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Dagger

Just posted about this at theO and can't stop giggling over it.

[url="http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/authors/jane_austen_versus_zombies_107139.asp"][u]GalleyCat news link[/u][/url]

[quote]Pride and Prejudice and Zombies features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice), this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen's classic novel to new legions of fans. [/quote]

Unrelated to the book in question, but Maureen Johnson, a popular young adult author, has also demonstrated how [url="http://www.insideadog.com.au/residence/index.php/maureen-johnson/incompetence-is-free/"][u]Pride and Prejudice might be improved by the addition of a zombie or two[/u][/url] (it's the blue text in the lower half of her post).

What other classic books would mix well with the undead? (Jane Eyre, for instance, is so obvious that it hardly bears mentioning...)

~Dagger~

[SIZE="1"]Wuthering Heights? That may be the obvious one, seeing as there already is hint at necrophilia (If I remember correctly), but I'm sure Heathcliff's mood would have been considerably improved if his lady love came back.

Even if she was, mm. Peeling a little.

I really need to pick up a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It sounds hilarious, and I adore the cover art so much. Hopefully this will spark a new interest in classic fiction, rather than people assuming it dull because it's old. If it takes zombies to do that, all the better.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
Everyone knows zombies go well with everything, but what about.... advanced alien civilizations? Apparently Elton John thinks so: [U][URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/feb/17/pride-and-predator-to-give-jane-austen-extreme-makeover"]Pride and Predator[/URL][/U].

I can't stop laughing. You can believe I'll be there at midnight, opening night, clutching my worn copy of Jane Austen's P&P while worrying incessantly over the fate of poor Mr. Darcy and his ten thousand pounds a year.

The obnoxious Mr. Collins better be going [I]down[/I].