OtakuBoards

Higashi no Eden

Shinmaru

If you are reading this thread, and have not yet watched the first episode of [b]Higashi no Eden[/b], then go do that now. Don't worry, I'll wait for you.

Watched it yet? Good. You've just seen the best first episode the spring season has to offer. :D

A quick plot primer for those who still need convincing: [b]Higashi no Eden[/b] concerns a college-aged Japanese tourist in Washington D.C., Saki Morimi, who happens upon a Japanese man, Akira Takizawa, who literally has nothing on him aside from a gun and a cell phone. (No clothes, and no memories.) Akira helps Saki get out of some trouble she gets into with the police, and they both go on their merry way until they are reunited later in the episode and decide to jet back to Japan together.

Oh, and did I mention Akira is a Jason Bourne-style terrorist (?) with hidden weapons caches and a charming personality? :)

It would be difficult for me to be more impressed with an opening episode than I am with [b]Higashi no Eden[/b]'s debut. Production I.G. hits the perfect note with everything -- the visuals are outstanding, the OP and ED sequences are excellent, there is some good comedy that immediately gets the viewer attached to Saki and Akira, etc. I'm a sucker for [b]Bourne Identity[/b]-style plots, too, so to say I am eager to press on with the show would be a vast understatement. Next week cannot come soon enough, as far as I am concerned.

Neutral about this one for the time being. I think it comes from being a DC native--I simply can't get past the security lapses**, particularly in contrast to the uncannily accurate depiction of everything down to the Spy Museum's signboard. And the word 'prince' sticks in my craw, but I blame that on Utena. :p

Will keep watching for the Oasis OP and, of course, those delicious production values.

**Had a really hard time sympathizing for Saki after that coin-tossing incident, haha. Being a clueless Japanese tourist is a pretty lame excuse. On the other hand, yes, it is anime, but the patches of realism sure throw me off. :animeswea

~Dagger~

This one might just turn out to be good. It's Kenji Kamiyama, after all.

The Ghibli-style female lead is kind of... unsettling? Well, she may just turn out to be a unique character, you never know. Maybe we'll even see good action scenes...
We can only hope the show won't turn out to be a disaster like Rideback.

I agree with Shinmaru, this show does look pretty promising after watching the first episode. Also, I'm a sucker for [b]Bourne Identity[/b] style plots too, being a huge fan of the Bourne series; both movies and books.

First thing I noticed when I opened this was the beautiful animation. No more crowds with people idly standing around, they actually move in [b]Higashi no Eden[/b]. As well, the environments are stunningly rendered and even the scene at the beginning with the taxi pulling up surprised me. I'm looking forward for some beautifully rendered fight scenes too. Hope that's a possibility.

Now Akira does have quite the personality I wasn't expecting. He is a jokester and like Shin said, he's got a charming personality. Unlike the Bourne movies, this episode's riddled with quite a bit of comedy and even a Bourne reference, which I chuckled at.

All in all, I can't wait to see Episode 2.

~Rurouni.

Ep2 is pretty good. We're introduced to the first antagonist of sorts in Kondo, who is planning to [spoiler]kill Akira (presumably) and steal his savings so that he doesn't run out of Juiz-sponsored cash.[/spoiler] Nice guy, that Kondo! And, uh, how about that murder response time by Juiz? Yikes. I've been wondering what exactly this organization does -- like, whether they're all terrorists, or they all fight on the side of the law, or if it depends on the agent. I'm not exactly sure something like Juiz is entirely lawful, haha.

I also lol'd at Akira and Saki referencing romance movies, only to end on a scene that could have been ripped straight from one of those movies. An amusing rib. :P

BTW, I had a hell of a good time chatting with friends while watching the first episode again. JOHNNIE REFERENCES ABOUND.

I've also been wondering about the organization's pupose. Their reach seems almost incredible. Also, why does Juiz tell both of those "Chosen" agents to "continue being a saviour of the people"? Might be the translation, but it has a certain masonic flair.