OtakuBoards

Shippuden on Toon Disney!?

HopefulOTaKu

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I should really just put this in the preface: I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk with that last post of mine. This is kind of a topic I've already worn to the ground and honestly I'm a bit tired of it myself, so I probably sounded a lot more abrasive than I meant to. I hope you don't hold it against me and for the record, I'm totally cool with your decision. I just disagreed with your reasoning a bit.[/FONT]

[quote name='AnbuKira13']Movies mentioned? One made 62 years ago not recently. One that wasn't even released in theaters because they knew it was a pile, Simba's Pride. And one that while it was in theaters didn't do amazingly well, Hunchback. Oh yeah that reminds me... Bambi one of their "classics" they dumbed down with their version of adding to the story to make it more of a spunky happy sort of thing. You know erase the "OMG HIS MOMMA DIED!" memories of that scene by turning it into the following...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fofVHg-QdE[/url][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'll half-concede this point, though I'm also gonna have to disagree on a couple of things, since [B]Simba's Pride[/B] is actually a fair bit more popular than most of the other cruddy direct to DVD sequels they've released and [B]Hunchback[/B] has become a bit of a cult classic at this point. In any case, whether or not the movie was successful doesn't change the fact that it had some pretty dark themes and it was a Disney feature.

As for the Bambi sequel, it was made 60 years after the original, so it's about as moot a point as the one I made about the scene in the first place. :animeswea

The basic point I'm trying to get across is that a lot of people seem to think Disney has a really juvenile history of pandering directly to children and never even bothering to think of their other demographics, which I'm guessing is an inference based on their recent history of doing just that with Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, etc. It kinda bugs me because looking back far enough, it's really not the case at all, and it's kind of giving them a rep they don't deserve (anymore.)

Of course, you already knew all that, so I guess I'll just shut up now. :animesmil

Also, sorry about assuming you haven't bothered to check in on it. I can see where you might think it's not a good fit with the channel. The advertising on there is pretty grating.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I should really just put this in the preface: I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk with that last post of mine. This is kind of a topic I've already worn to the ground and honestly I'm a bit tired of it myself, so I probably sounded a lot more abrasive than I meant to. I hope you don't hold it against me and for the record, I'm totally cool with your decision. I just disagreed with your reasoning a bit.[/FONT][/quote]

Don't worry about that, I didn't take it as an attack or anything of that nature. Same thing goes though for me, considering over the webbernets I useually get taken the wrong way too. And abrasive? Nah, try being a vet on a Res Evil forum... you'll see far more abrasive things there then all that. :P Believe me...

True I suppose it wasn't utter garbage, Simba's Pride, but it wasn't exactly spectacular either seemed forced I remember thinking that when I watched it back when my friends mom got it for her. To me it kinda made my love for the first one fade a tad. Like they sucked the life outta something I had loved since I was like, 9 or 10... I forgot how old I was lol... But then again I'm one of those people who when I like something Im not fond of someone messing with it. Makes me think of that Family Guy joke...

"Aladdin 6 Jaffar Needs Glasses..."

Its sad... and yet true. They kinda suck the life out of their own stuff. With the Bambi thing its more to re-introduce the character to the current rugrat generation.

Though if you think about it if the original one was released today, same scene and all it wouldn't be as shocking as it was back then. Kids are so desensitised to everything for the most part thanks to the media in general and such the editing thing that they do is basically only to keep soccer mom's with nothing better to do from protesting or whatever. The swearing being kept out, there's some in Naruto not as much as in like Bleach I think or some others but still, that doesn't bother me much. I swear enough on my own so its not like I'm gonna miss it. And its probably better seeing as how some of the things I've heard while working in a daycare for instance coming from a 4 year old was actually worse then some of what I have said just sitting at a Dennys in highschool bs'in till 3am. So I get the removal of that from alot of stuff more targeted at kids.

Advertising wise I will say I find it funny how sometimes they'll pronounce the name right and others for some reason they wont. Its like they can't make up their mind how to say it...

Also, it's not like I don't like everything Disney touches, Kingdom Hearts I adore for instance, just certain things they do or start adding to their lineup its like "Why?" And yes it is rather annoying to see Hannah Montana and Naruto anywhere near the eachother... But oh well. I suppose the only good thing that might come from that is the husbands little sister getting into Anime instead of nonsense like Hannah Montana.

Anyway Im kinda droning on so I'll stop before it gets worse, and any further from the main point of the topic. XP

• 5 weeks later...
The main reason Disney even picked up Naruto was the company's move to attract a male audience. It has been a growing trend from Disney that started in the 90's with Aladdin where Disney tried to target boys as thier veiwing audience. Disney has the princess thing down to a cookie cutter type recipe but they have found it hard to come up with movies and series that interest boys. They picked up Naruto in order to better target the young male audience.

I personally have watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and other than the points already mentions (they don't kill things....) it was alright. The problem is when the series gets to the more violent parts. I don't see how Disney can possible show half of the battle that come later in the series. [spoiler]When Jirarya has his arm cut off and is eventually killed while fighting Pain. Or the battle between Itachi and Sauske which is a bloodbath. [/spoiler] I don't see Disney sticking with the series long enought for those to be shown on tv...