OtakuBoards

Borderlands

Kastom

Anyone else here played Borderlands?

I don't own it myself (yet), but I played a friend's copy with him, and we spent a good 10 hours straight into the night playing co-op.

I have to say that I just find it an overall really well made game. The fact that it is multiplayer immediately makes it epic, especially since it has the options for co-op on one screen and LAN (my two favourite options for playing multiplayer). The item system is oh so much fun and addictive. I'm a major fan of this kind of dynamic items, since you are constantly finding new and interesting things. The RPG element is much more interesting and well-implemented than I thought it was going to be originally, so that immediately made my addiction level for it rise. I love grinding in these styles of games. And the simple fact of the matter is that the actual FPS aspect of the game is really well done. Being a fan of the Halo series, mainly for the control style and gameplay, I was very pleased when I found it handled much the same way (especially the jumping, I love it when a FPS gives you the ability to jump at least moderately well so that you can explore the terrain).

My only real qualms with it (at this point, keeping in mind that I haven't played all that much of it yet) would be that there are only the four classes. While they are each extremely varied, and the skill trees are impressively large (another thing I was really pleased to see), I still think it would be better with another class or two. But I suppose that this is only the first game so far (I've heard they are planning this as a series).

So what does everyone else think of it?

• 2 weeks later...
I have this game and I love it(however i admit i havent played much of it since Modern Warfare 2 was released lol). I just finished typing a review about it so I will submit it here!

Borderlands was a very anticipated game that alot of people couldn't wait for. I was one of them. For a first person shooter/RPG, it was definitely worth the wait.

The plot of this game is kind of confusing. You are in the land of Pandora looking for an ancient vault thats supposed to be filled with secrets and treasure, So you have to make your way from zone to zone on your way to this ''Vault''.

The graphics in this game are pretty good if you like Cell shading. I personally thought it had amazing graphics but I have heard otherwise as well. One being that the graphics tend to get glitchy..like if you zoom in close on something that looks really good, it might end up being very pixelated and look worse than it should. However the graphics look more drawn and animated which gives it a good cartoon feel. The gore is pretty good as well. You can blow limbs off and watch them go rolling down the hill, spurting blood the whole way =P

Weapon Selection - The weapons in this game are endless. There are literally over 100,000 guns in this game. You will find many guns of the same type( smg, machine gun, pistols) however every weapon has its own little difference. For instance on my character i have about 10 different machine guns. One has like 25% less recoil, with +30% damage and a slight chance to catch enemies on fire. my other one is the same but it also has radioactive abilities as well. The selection makes the game really neat for choosing the best way to go about your missions. There is also a rarity for these guns you find. The rarity goes from white-green-blue-purple-orange. White is the most common weapons you'll find with not too many upgrades on it, and orange is verry hard to find and is definitely worth the find lol.(i have yet to find one myself)

The World - Pandora is a big place. It is an open world so you can run or drive anywhere you want to at any time. However you go from zone to zone andd there are always tons of creatures awaiting your arrival. Creatures tend to randomly respawn near you when you are in a bad situation as well. That can get annoying but if you bring enough health packs, you'll be fine!

Creatures - You will see so many creatures in this game from mutated wolves to Psycho Midgets with shotguns(Not joking lol..) theres alot to kill in Pandora and alot that is out to kill you. There are also bosses in the game; usually one or 2 in each area. They can take some time to kill but they usually drop some awesome stuff.

Glitches?? - Yes there are a few glitches in this game. One being when youre walking in a bandit town or something sometimes enemies tend to hide inside buildings and shoot through the walls and stuff. It gets really confusing but if you see a doorway thats pitch black(like blacker than it should look), then you can probably go in. That gets annoying but doesnt happen too much. I wouldnt call this a glitch, more annoying. When you are in your vehicle driving around the land, you'll notice alot of debris and rocks and stuff just laying around. Your vehicle gets caught on the cheapest little piece of rock and wont move again. Its happened to me a few times...Luckily there are places where you can respawn your vehicle.

Other than that I think it is an amazing game. It has so much to do in the game that it will leave ya playing for hours and hours for 2 or 3 quests. Theres alot of missions to do, you never get bored. All in all id give this game an 8.5 because its got amazing graphics, sweet gameplay and gunplay lol, only thing it really lacks is storyline.

• 11 months later...
What a horrible fate for a borderlands thread. only two posts?
i figured I would dig up the thread to talk about the fourth DLC expansion: Cl4P-TP Revolution. apparently Hyperion is behind this next adventure. I wasn't sure weather i would get it or not.... but i play this game so much i figure its probably worth the ten bucks.

there are a few more missions, which gives us something new to do since the level cap just got bumped up eight levels. also there is a skill point per playthrough to be had, so it may be fun to do it for the stat boosts.

I bought the Underdome ( not that great, but i still have played it for at least 15 hours... i just didn't always enjoy it. the only good part is the bank.) and Knoxx's Armory (the best DLC i have ever purchased hands down. I have spent probably fifty hours running around that huge area) so I have half of them ( i didn't get Jacob's cove cause i dislike zombies.)

anyways It looks to be fun and i think i will buy it tonight, since i have some points i need to spend.[b]

EDIT:[/b] definitely fun. this is a must get if you don't have any of the other expansions, because you fight all the old bosses.

once i play through the whole thing i will give a full verdict.

[b]EDIT: [/b]well i didn't sleep tonight (my own fault but i will blame the expansion) and have been playing the expansion almost non-stop. I fiished the main quest so all there is is a few side quests that kinda reminded me of hunts in FFXII :P

anyways, if you have not bought the other expansions, this one is a pretty solid choice since this whole thing seems like it added elements of both Knoxx and Zombie Island. The claptrap enemys are... well... nothing new, and the Hyperion Army is fun, but no cooler then the Crimson Lance. (though a little nicer) but they do have fun claptrap's to fight.

The world is almost too big, since you only have your feet. (i miss you Scooter) but the levels are layed out so that you can return on a faster, more rewarding path with treasure and less people.

you fight all the DLC bosses in this one (though a bit easier, especially Knoxx) and above all else, the story is hilarious! wonder what a game would be like if the people who made it had a good sense of humor? try it! i had a ton of fun just reading the signs posted around the world.

though, for gameplay wise, i would have to say the best is still Knoxx's Armory. (it boosts the level cap by eleven, that alone gives you an hour more for each character you use. not to mention the entire rest of the giant world, bonus weapons and of course Scooter), but if you still like borderlands and want something fun to do with a new character or a way to level up the 8 new levels you get after downloading the patch... this is a great deal. Edited by CaNz