OtakuBoards

2010 Olympics Vancouver BC

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Okay so it's less than two weeks now til the opening ceremonies of the big game being played in my in-laws' province of [B]British Columbia[/B] and well nothing is up here yet. So I've decided to try to breathe some new life into this forum with the Olympic thread.

The most interesting part is that the premier of [B]British Columbia[/B] has been doing so much to get Vancouver and nearby Whistler ready for the games and has been doing some money raising by making special edition license plates- I saw my fair share of them in the Central part of the province. Well those and a bunch of stuffed animals in the [B]Zeller's[/B] department stores. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying a few.

There's also a problem with the weather. Both [B]Vancouver [/B]and [B]Whistler[/B] have been too warm and rainy to create snow- no snow means no out door sports. Maybe they could take a plane up to [B]Ft. Fraiser[/B]? They've snow up there. And mountains that'd put the ones in [B]Whistler[/B] to shame.

One strange thing about the torch run when it got into [B]British Columbia [/B](although maybe it's not strange since this is only the first time I've been talking to people in the area where the Olympics will be held?) is that the torch has almost been making a circle around the province. I talked to my fiance on Tuesday and he said the torch runners came by his school in Kelowna which is 4 hours north of [B]Vancouver[/B] and when I talked to his mom she'd said they were running it through [B]Canoe [/B]which is five and a half hours north of [B]Vancouver[/B] and Friday I heard it went through[B] Kamloomps [/B]which is 3 hours north of [B]Vancouver[/B]. Ah well as long as it gets there in time.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any controversy or just wants to talk about the games when they do happen. I just can't wait to see the hockey games and see if the games were worth the tax hikes.[/color][/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Okay I know this isn't allowed and later mods, repremend me or whater, I'm sorry for knowingly breaking the rules and bumping my thread up again. But I'm kinda shocked that there isn't anything about that Luger from Georgia who died yesturday on the practice run yesturday morning (well morning PST) and I can't go and make a new thread so I may as well add to this one veremonte? It seems to me that if the officials up in Whistler knew about how fast and potentially hazardous the run was they'd made some more safety procautions such as padding the sides or something. Because it added a sad mark to what was so anticipated by many athletes and citizens of many countries.

I heard before the opening ceremonies that the Prime Minister went before Parliemnt to ask Canadians to show more verbal patriotism than is characteristic of them. Not that Canadians aren't patriotic-they just show it in a more subdued way than some other countries.i

As for the opening ceremony- am I the only one who got confused when that girl from Montrèal started singing the French version of O' Canada right in the middle of the English version.

So, my misdeed has been done, and again I do appologize for it. But hey maybe now we can discuss?[/color][/font][/size]

Well, I haven't really been watching the Olympics myself (I guess I'm just not into that stuff), but I caught my parents watching it earlier. Ice skating (doubles) were on, and oh my good gracious what the crap did they do. For some reason, they had a green screen effect and while the ice skaters were flitting about they had really cheesy and obviously generated backdrops. I thought it looked horrible, like... poor quality stuff. They should've just left it blank, it looks better that way. ._.

[size=1]

I usually really get into big sports events like the Winter and Summer Olympics, and the World Cup. So far, I've watched the men's Luge (where Germany kicked the crap out of America), Women's Ski Moguls (where America owned and got its first gold), and currently, I'm watching the Doubles Pair Figure Skating (way more dangerous and scary than I thought it was) and Men's Ski Moguls.

I'm looking forward to the snow-boarding events, especially the new race they have, and the other speed-based and trick-based skiing events. Basically anything thats extremely dangerous, haha.[/size]

[quote name='Zombie_Nosh']I'm not big into winter sports, but I did catch a couple of events. I am surprised by Korea's talent during the skating-racing (real name is?). That's something I wouldn't have expected.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]
It's called Speed Skating.

We got STOMPED by China in Pairs Figure Skating, and Germany stomped us in Luge, but we've still got the highest medal count, Gold in two of the cooler sports (Snowboard Cross and Women's Ski Moguls). I'm watching Hockey right now, America vs. Sweden. We're winning by 2. Tuned in to the Olympics all day.[/size]

[quote name='chibi-master']Watching winter sports makes me feel cold... But I do enjoy watching figure skating and snowboarding!:catgirl:[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]That may be, but it's been about 7C in Vancouver the past few days, so that's far from cold.

I caught the [B]Today [/B]show showing Canada's [B]first Olympic gold on home soil [/B]and everyone in Vancouver singing [B]O'Canada[/B] off key. It was pretty. I also caught the medal ceremony for their second home gold ever tonight. It was moving.

I can't quite say what my favourite sport is for the winter games since there isn't any equestrian eventing, but the Hockey is pretty good. I just wish the US and Canadian games weren't total shut outs... I can't wait til they play eachother.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Citric']Shaun White is the man.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]
Seriously, he blew my freaking mind last night. I was extremely impressed with everyone that went before him in the medal round, in awe of their talent. And then White stepped up to the plate and I was speechless.

Me during the boarders before him: "Holy crap! Did I just see that!? Amazing!"

Me after Shaun White: ".....:animestun".[/size]

[quote name='Zen'][size=1]
Seriously, he blew my freaking mind last night. I was extremely impressed with everyone that went before him in the medal round, in awe of their talent. And then White stepped up to the plate and I was speechless.

[/size][/QUOTE]

I had to look this up online to see what all the fuss was about. This guy has some serious skills! I will definatley be paying more attention from now on.

I honestly have been watching 3 sports: Hockey, Curling and Snowboarding.

The US donminates snowboarding (especailly halfpipe) we took the gold and bronze in mens halfpipe and silver and bronze in womens (which isn't half as entertaining). Jacobellis also epically failed by DQing in the semis of snowboard cross...

Both US hockey teams have been kicking butt. The men are in the semis and I think the woman are too (u might have to check on that) Mens Gold medal match is going to be Canada vs US and the US is going to beat them again.

And last curling... Man do we suck at curling... I watch the US mens lose 4 matches by missing a shot with last rock in the 10th end.... Canada is definatly going to take the gold in curling that bald guy leading team Canada is insanly good.