OtakuBoards

Poll: Anime/Manga That Could Use The North American Film Treatment

stararnold

Which Anime Title Should Be Re-Interpreted For North American Entertainment?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Anime Title Should Be Re-Interpreted For North American Entertainment?

• Mazinger Z (a.k.a. Tranzor Z)
    • Lupin III
    • Gigantor
    • Gundam
    • Captain Harlock
    • Gurren Lagann
    • Pokemon
    • Dirty Pair
    • Gunbuster
    • Getter Robo
    • Devilman
    • Cyborg 09
    • Digimon
    • Fullmetal Alchemist
    • .Hack//Sign
    • Space Carrier Blue Noah (a.k.a. Thundersub)
    • Slayers
    • Vision of Escaflowne
    • Spice and Wolf
    • Appleseed
    • Zoids
    • Yu-Gi-Oh!
    • Saint Seiya
    • Battle Vixens
    • Pretty Cure
    • Some should have this opportunity
    • all should have this opportunity
    • other
    • none

After seeing 2009's "Astro Boy" (which I enjoyed regardless of how it tried to distinct from the "Astro Boy" Manga), I thought it's time to open a poll listing Anime/Manga titles that I believe could work out in having a North American film/T.V. series re-interpretation so that you, the responders can offer your opinion indicating which title(s) should be given the North American entertainment treaments, even though none of the titles I listed is really next in line to be licensed a North American film/series take. Also say your reason for your vote, and you're welcome to comment which format you find would be best for a North American film/T.V. series adaptation/re-interpretation of the Anime title you voted, whether as live-action or as animated.

Keep in mind that Anime/Manga-based North American films/T.V. shows can be a way of helping the Japanese source materials they're re-interpreting get into the mainstream of each of Canada and U.S. (if accepted by a lot of viewers), especially 1) when not every one who watches animated films or reads comics is into Anime/Manga, and 2) Anime are not doing well in region 1 DVD sales.

Please don't get mad at me for doing this, but it's just something I've been longing to do since watching 2009's "Astro Boy". Also, no Hollywood bashing allowed in this thread, please! I heard enough of it (like do it somewhere else).

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Out of the ones listed on the poll, I actually think [B]Lupin III[/B] would make an excellent live-action movie, since the series never really bothers to take advantage of the stuff it can only get away with in an animated medium (ignoring that scene in [I]Castle of Cagliostro[/I] where they drove up a cliffside).

A [B]Lupin III[/B] movie wouldn't be all that difficult to make appeal to people unfamiliar with the franchise, either. All they'd have to do is bill it as [B]Ocean's 11[/B] with a better soundtrack and a more interesting cast.

In general, I don't really think many of the other series on the poll would work very well in live-action, period, but I might be willing to rethink that now after seeing the [B]Speed Racer[/B] movie, which was fantastic because it knew what it wanted to be, made no apologies for how absurd the series it was based on was and just ran with the premise as fast as it could. The result was a live-action cartoon. And it was glorious.

Also this:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/wolfoxokamichan/speedpaunch.gif[/IMG]

More of that and less of [B]Dragonball: Evolution[/B] plzkthx.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Out of the ones listed on the poll, I actually think [B]Lupin III[/B] would make an excellent live-action movie, since the series never really bothers to take advantage of the stuff it can only get away with in an animated medium (ignoring that scene in [I]Castle of Cagliostro[/I] where they drove up a cliffside).

A [B]Lupin III[/B] movie wouldn't be all that difficult to make appeal to people unfamiliar with the franchise, either. All they'd have to do is bill it as [B]Ocean's 11[/B] with a better soundtrack and a more interesting cast.

In general, I don't really think many of the other series on the poll would work very well in live-action, period, but I might be willing to rethink that now after seeing the [B]Speed Racer[/B] movie, which was fantastic because it knew what it wanted to be, made no apologies for how absurd the series it was based on was and just ran with the premise as fast as it could. The result was a live-action cartoon. And it was glorious.

Also this:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/wolfoxokamichan/speedpaunch.gif[/IMG]

More of that and less of [B]Dragonball: Evolution[/B] plzkthx.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Love the Ocean 's 11 comment. Thats one of my favorite movies though. Lupin III would be an awesome live action movie. Its got scandulous scenes, awesome characters, and witty banter for everyone to enjoy. Im thinking Robert Downey Jr to play Jigen and Megan Fox to play Fujiko. Awesome.

Zoids would be an awesome live action movie to make. Its easy to catch peoples attention because of the giant machines fighting and those familiar with the show will be super excited. I am talking about the good Zoids too(New Century Zero) , not that chump series(Chaotic Century) even though that series reflects more of the original storyline. Zoids New Century Zero was an awesome anime because of the competition between the different teams out there. I would love to see it.

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Hey there, [B]Humaru[/B] -- please refrain from double-posting in the future. It's spammy, and you can typically get your point across without having to do so. ~~[B]Sangome[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm going with Lupin III for pretty much the same reasons Ace already mentioned. It'd be fairly easy to translate that kind of anime into a live-action movie and I think they could pull it off too.

Also, I dare Hollywood to take on .hack//SIGN. I triple dog dare them.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]Out of everything on that list I've only seen 3 shows, and out of those three the only one I can see working is Lupin the 3rd. I never thought about the Oceans series being tied to Lupin, so that'd be a really good take on it. Good eye Ace.

Personally speaking though, I'm against anime/comics/games as live action movies. No matter how good or bad they are, I'd still be against them.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=darkred]Out of everything on that list I've only seen 3 shows, and out of those three the only one I can see working is Lupin the 3rd. I never thought about the Oceans series being tied to Lupin, so that'd be a really good take on it. Good eye Ace.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=darkred]Personally speaking though, I'm against anime/comics/games as live action movies. No matter how good or bad they are, I'd still be against them.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

I've heard so far, of what fans felt could work out as North American live-action. Seeing that you don't like Anime being translated into North American live-action and that not all North American filmed media is live-action, are there at least any the titles listed in the poll you find could work out in North American animated form? After all like the Japanese, the North Americans do have a sense of animation including stories partly/entirely for grown ups.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]When you say NA animated treatment, are you talking about something like the Pixar films or something in the style of Batman? If it's the Pixar/Disney style, there's Ghost in the Shell that's in the making. As far as everything on that poll, like I said, I've only seen 3 of those that're listed. (FMA, parts of Lupin, and parts of Yugioh) And unfortunately I don't think any of those can fit.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=darkred]When you say NA animated treatment, are you talking about something like the Pixar films or something in the style of Batman? If it's the Pixar/Disney style, there's Ghost in the Shell that's in the making. As far as everything on that poll, like I said, I've only seen 3 of those that're listed. (FMA, parts of Lupin, and parts of Yugioh) And unfortunately I don't think any of those can fit.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

I'm not referring to any specific kind of North American animation. Like Japanese Animation, North American animation utilizes all sorts of visual styles whether 3D animated, 2D animated, the drawing style of the 1990s "Batman" show, the humoristic illustration style of the 2000s "Teen Titans" series, Simpsons-like illustration, or etc.