OtakuBoards

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Claire

[SIZE="1"]A few weeks ago I decided to re-read the entire Harry Potter series to get myself ready to finally read Deathly Hallows, which I finished for the first time today. I've basically become obsessed with the series. I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

So, this brings me to one of the only good things Florida has to offer. In less than a month, Universal's theme park Islands of Adventure is going to open its brand new addition to the public: the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

As far as I know, there isn't actually too much to do within this park. There are three rides - a tour of Hogwarts and a few roller-coasters - and shopping and dining in Hogsmeade. I haven't done extensive research into it, but as far as I know everything has been crafted to really put visitors into Harry Potter's world, from the architecture to the food (they even have strawberry peanut butter ice cream, which comes from a single sentence in Chamber of Secrets, and I've read that JK Rowling herself had to approve the taste of the butterbeer).

I am incredibly excited. I'm definitely not going to be there anywhere near opening day, since everyone and their entire family tree, living and dead, are going to be there. Still, I can't wait to get over there and try the food (which I am admittedly the most excited about, especially butterbeer) and spend more money than I'm worth in Hogsmeade. I live only two hours away from this place, how awesome is that?

So, who else is planning on visiting this theme park? I realize I'm probably closest to it on this message board, but people visit Florida from distant lands just for Disney World, right? I can't imagine Harry Potter world being too much different. Besides, the main theme park is pretty fun itself, with it's focus on comic book super heroes and even Dr. Seuss.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
I was reading the descriptions of the shops in Hogsmeade with some friends the other day and we ended up just screaming mindlessly out of excitement. You can choose a wand at Ollivander's (or have the wand "choose you"); Hogwarts uniforms, robes, and scarves, as well as EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO PLAY QUIDDITCH at Dervish and Banges; Fred and George's Skiving Snackboxes and Extendable Ears at Zonko's; Acid Pops, Fizzing Whizbees, and Chocolate Frogs at Honeyduke's.

Plus several cast members are going to be there opening day!

It's silly how excited I am.

And see, I almost got to work there. But I was all lame and "I don't want to go that far away from my friends and the boyfriend!" And then he dumped me. :(

But for true, I coulda been a Hogwarts student. Old friend of the family works with the Universal Studio's theme parks.

[quote name='Stephanie' date='14 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1276530652' post='695269']
And see, I almost got to work there. But I was all lame and "I don't want to go that far away from my friends and the boyfriend!" And then he dumped me. :(

But for true, I coulda been a Hogwarts student. Old friend of the family works with the Universal Studio's theme parks.
[/quote]

DANG If I had that opportunity I would snatch it up without thinking twice!

...hint hint.