OtakuBoards

Difficult / Hard Games

Magus

Fairly simple :)

What are some of the games you found to be difficult / overly challenging? What made them so difficult? If you could, would you change anything (outside of the difficulty level) to make it a less painful experience? (I think that's what I'm going for lol)

As for me I don't really play games to look for that challenge these days. I've lost my competitiveness a long time ago. I mainly play games to relieve stress or anger. But there were a few games that I thought were pretty hard during my first experience with them.

[b]Ninja Gaiden 2[/b] [Xbox 360] - Path of the Mentor it's definately a different experience compared to the levels before it, but it's also ridiculous. What made NG2 hard for me were the cheapness of some of the enemies you encounter. I think they're called tac ninja's... (The ones that throw explosive shuurikens[sp?]) and then the ones that have missle launchers. When they come at you, they don't let up. They come in swarms and starting off with level 1 weapons makes things really difficult because not only do you not have access to some of the better techniques, but you really have to be defensive and learn some of the i-frames or else you're gonna die, and die a lot. The camera also makes things hard to because there are a lot of off-screen attacks that you can't see until the last moment. The only thing I'd probably change is the the camera. Make it a little bit more like God of War's camera and I'd probably have an easier time in handling such situations.

[b]Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary[/b] [Ps2] - Super Street Fighter 2 on this edition to be exact. The boss fight themselves weren't the hard part. The hard part is fighting T-hawk and Guile. Never anyone else. It's like as soon as I get to one or the other, everything just ramps up. Their attacks go through everything and they block every single attack. Oh, here's the kicker. I set the difficulty to 1 star. (easiest difficulty) Capcom was smoking on something here. I'd change that difficulty issue. If I set it to the easiest level I expect to be able to fly through these characters dangit.

[b]Dead or Alive 4[/b] [Xbox 360] - Speaking of blocking every single attack.... This game is the epitomy of ridiculous. They block and nearly reverse every thing you throw at them. And then the final boss fight.... Yeah, she can knock of half your health bar in about 2-3 strikes... Team Ninja really took the fun out of this series when they did this game.. (sorry was going on a rant) I'd change the reversal system period or add an "easy" difficulty. >_>

[font="Garamond"]Right now I'm playing [b]FFXIII[/b] on the PS3, and, as much as I love it, it's got some very very annoying parts. For one, as much as I love the Crystarium (great mechanic, like a better Sphere grid from FFX), I hate that it's capped. So you can grind and grind all you want but it'll still stop you at a certain level until you unlock it further. I also don't like that some characters, at the same level, can still have abilities miles apart. I'm also not a fan of how some monsters/bosses are ridiculously stacked and overlevelled and whatnot. It's all fun and games until it's so hard it's not fun anymore. I guess my issue is really with the Crystarium, so I'd love if it were a) more even among characters and B) gave you more opportunities to grind. (& I'm really not a fan of the Eidolon fights. Meh.)

[b]Tenchu Wrath of Heaven[/b] for the PS2, rented it a billion years ago when it came out, can't remember much about the mechanics or anything but I do remember finding it super aggravating because I think it was similar issues with stupid-powerful enemies.

[b]Mirror's Edge[/b] mostly because even when you got a weapon, it was still pretty useless when you were being swarmed by the SWAT Team. It really let me down, I don't think it lived up to it's potential. Personally I think the combat system could've used some tweaking, to even it out a bit.

Or maybe I'm just a n00b. Who knows.[/font]