OtakuBoards

A little science within

Ice Dragon v2

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ice Dragon v2 [/i]
[B]Hehehe.......
Let's see if you guys can get this little question.
I can tell you that all my friends (including my freshman friends) got this correctly.
So................
Without further interruption........

What is dihydrogen monoxide??? [/B][/QUOTE]

Whoever doesn't know this should be shot...

It's H2O, the one, the only, our life source.... water.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

Whoever doesn't know this should be shot...

It's H2O, the one, the only, our life source.... water. [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Darn you, TN, ya got to it before me.... [/FONT]

LOL, this reminds me of a funny story i heard.

a high school student was doing a report for school called 'how stupid people are" or something like that. he went around to malls & explained that he had a petition to get the govt. to ban the sustance dihydrogen monoxide. his reasons were, it was deadly when inhaled, caused burns in it's gaseous state, caused cars to carrene out of control in it's solid form, & some other stuff that's true about water. well, 96% said yes it should be banned, 2% said no it shouldn't, & 2% were undecided! that's sadly a true story.

I knew it was something like that. We learnt H2O as water, plain and simple.

Damn teachers, never bothered to explain it. Could have lost a mark, and a grade, due to their lousy teaching.

Now I know, and I have the good people of this thread to thank for it.

By the way, I'm not an idiot, I'm just too young to know...(Or maybe not????)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]LOL, this reminds me of a funny story i heard.

a high school student was doing a report for school called 'how stupid people are" or something like that. he went around to malls & explained that he had a petition to get the govt. to ban the sustance dihydrogen monoxide. his reasons were, it was deadly when inhaled, caused burns in it's gaseous state, caused cars to carrene out of control in it's solid form, & some other stuff that's true about water. well, 96% said yes it should be banned, 2% said no it shouldn't, & 2% were undecided! that's sadly a true story. [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Oh, that's rich....

Mesa wants to do that for my school newspaper now![/FONT]

the point is that "di" means two, "mono" means one, hydrogen's symbol is H & oxygen's is O. so people should be able to figure it out w/ common sense, even though it's not usually called dihydrogen monoxide. if most people can't figure it out, then our educational system has a serious problem. but don't feel bad if you couldn't figure it out, it's probably not your fault.

[B]
Snail, welcome to chemistry class. [/B][/QUOTE]
Chemistry?! Nooo...... not [i]that[/i]?! Well now I know what to look forward too when I go to chemistry..... :( :rolleyes:

Dihydrogen Monoxide was the one of a few things I knew when I did chemistry in High School. I also memorised the elements table just to impress the teacher...Didn't last long. I broke one of his expensive mercury thermometers. O.K that was way off the topic.

Yeah I had to do a huge assignment on water once. I actually got bonus marks for adding in the scientific name...hehehe,:cool:

[B]Bah, TN always gets it right.
I was hoping for the others to get this.
Now a harder one.
This is one molecule of each.
C-H-N
Correct me if I'm wrong TN. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't get it...

C - Carbon
H - Hydrogen
N - Nitrogen...

maybe I missed the question or joke or whatever the thing was...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

I don't get it...

C - Carbon
H - Hydrogen
N - Nitrogen...

maybe I missed the question or joke or whatever the thing was... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo] I was looking at this earlier too and I figured I must be retarded because that was all I got too, but since you seem to share my confusion...Ice, give us a clue man!!![/color]

[B]Bah, TN always gets it right.
I was hoping for the others to get this.
Now a harder one.
This is one molecule of each.
C-H-N
Correct me if I'm wrong TN. [/B][/QUOTE]

C-H-N?
I dont get it either. If thats the structure of your little molecule then it cant exist. Why? cos-
C can form either 2 or 4 bonds with other atoms, you have 1.
H can only form one bond with other atoms (with the exception of hydrogen bonds, which this one can't have) and you have 2.
N can form 3 bonds with other atoms and you have 1.
All in all, your missing 3 bonds and one shouldn't be there.
Unless theres some other meaning to the question that i cant see.

P.S. LM, I heard that story too.... here's the full story, brought to u by Deus's cut and paste techniques

'A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:

1. cause excessive sweating and vomiting

2. it is a major component in acid rain

3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state

4. accidental inhalation can kill you

5. it contributes to erosion

6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes

7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical dihydrogen monoxide. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was...water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" The conclusion is obvious.'

[B]Ok, ok, ok, ok.
Hehehe, I finally got all of you stumped.
One molecule of carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen makes up cyanide. Hopefully you should know what that is. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah yes I see, H-C=N (only three lines between C and N instead of 2), not C-H-N as i thought u meant.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]

Ah yes I see, H-C=N (only three lines between C and N instead of 2), not C-H-N as i thought u meant. [/B][/QUOTE]
Bingo, there's your equation.
Hehehe, I'm sorry to do this again but what do you think is dinitrogen monoxide???
(Hint: the dentist always use this)