OtakuBoards

EarthBound/MOTHER

Cherry

Title says it all.
Never played the first MOTHER game, but the second and third are two of my favourite games of all time!
MOTHER 2 (aka EarthBound) is thrilling, funny, and trippy! [spoiler]The final boss[/spoiler] is pure nightmare fuel, but being scared just gives me a rush of adrenaline!
MOTHER 3, on the other hand, is so sad. It was the first video game that made me cry. But that's what I love so much about it.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I actually never played much of Earthbound, but I did get about halfway through Mother 3, which is an absolutely incredible game. You're right - Mother 3 really has quite a sad story and it's surprisingly emotional even compared to console games that have access to better technology.

Now I really feel like I should go back and play the original Earthbound on SNES. I think I literally played only a few minutes of it, but never the full game.[/font]

I actually only played Earthbound on SNES. I never got to finish it though...kinda sad.

Thats it....thanks to you Cherry, Im going on Ebay and finding Earthbound so I can finish it. As for what I like about it, Ness is the best. Hes a true thinker....when stuff went wrong he grabbed a baseball bat like any kid would back in the day. Now a days, kids are pretty wimpy.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]From what little I played, I think my favourite thing was just how the game actually started - wandering around town in the middle of the night. :P

There's something about the idea of that which really plays into a kid's imagination. It's also why I really loved the opening sequence to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, where you wake up at night during a storm and have to venture off into the darkness. I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something cool about that. Does this make sense? Haha.[/font]

Oh man, the MOTHER series. It's definitely on my Top Games I Really Want To Play But Can't list. Back in the SNES days, we never bought Earthbound. And nowadays, of course, it's near impossible to find. I don't think it's on the VC either. Then MOTHER 3 never did get localized, although I know there's a fan translation out there.

Anyway! I actually have seen MOTHER 2 and 3 played before (thank you, chuggaaconroy!), so I know the general gist of the games. Pretty sad stuff all around. I mean, I guess Earthbound was more creepy than sad, although it had its moments too. But man, MOTHER 3... chapter 6 got me right in the heart. So sad. ;A;

[color="#FF0000"]I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority when I say that after playing this game, I REALLY want my twenty minutes back >_> I'm sorry, but everything about this game was just plan fail to me. I played all the way up until you meet Buzz Buzz-...wow, really. A magical talking bee from the future that has a prophecy of SAVING THE WURLD(toooootally hasn't been done one quadrillion times, nosireebob). Am I supposed to be...laughing...? ANYWAY, suddenly some alien thing appears and you start fighting...and don't do crap to it. The only person that can even do any damage to it is, le gasp, MAGICAL BEE BUZZ BUZZ, but after sitting there for many, MANY TURNS, the alien thing just wouldn't die.

It was at this point that every other stupid thing (and that would pretty much be everything that happened up to this point) that had happened in the game caught up with me and exploded, and then I quit. Haven't touched it since, and there is no way I'm doing it again. Granted, this could be because it was the second (or maybe third) game, but...meh >_>[/color] Edited by RedJ

[quote name='RedJ' date='12 July 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1278911200' post='697153']
[color="#FF0000"]I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority when I say that after playing this game, I REALLY want my twenty minutes back >_> I'm sorry, but everything about this game was just plan fail to me. I played all the way up until you meet Buzz Buzz-...wow, really. A magical talking bee from the future that has a prophecy of SAVING THE WURLD(toooootally hasn't been done one quadrillion times, nosireebob). Am I supposed to be...laughing...? ANYWAY, suddenly some alien thing appears and you start fighting...and don't do crap to it. The only person that can even do any damage to it is, le gasp, MAGICAL BEE BUZZ BUZZ, but after sitting there for many, MANY TURNS, the alien thing just wouldn't die.

It was at this point that every other stupid thing (and that would pretty much be everything that happened up to this point) that had happened in the game caught up with me and exploded, and then I quit. Haven't touched it since, and there is no way I'm doing it again. Granted, this could be because it was the second (or maybe third) game, but...meh >_>[/color]
[/quote]

Hey hey, its cool. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and if you dont like it then you dont like it.

[quote name='RedJ' date='12 July 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1278911200' post='697153']
[color="#FF0000"]I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority when I say that after playing this game, I REALLY want my twenty minutes back >_>[/color]
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Okay, I myself have only played a few minutes of each game, and I'm all for having different opinions...but 20 minutes? Seriously? That's [i]hardly[/i] enough time to get a decent grasp of the game. And as for the "cliches"...um, yeah, so? It's supposed to be an affectionate parody of JRPGs and American culture as a whole.

Maybe my opinion is moot because I've only played a few minutes of the games, but I think you wrote it off WAY too fast, IMO.

Anyway, as I've said...err...twice already, I've not played much of the series [I'm weird when it comes to playing games on emulators], but it's one of those series I absolutely [i]must[/i] play in full one of these days. Everything I hear about it I like, and I'm sure it's something I'd love. But alas, Nintendo is stingy with this series, and I really don't want to watch the entire games on LPs before actually playing the games, so...I dunno.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

• 4 weeks later...
I'm playing through Mother 3 for the second time right now actually.  It's an awesome game, a truly worthy successor to Earthbound.  

As for Earthbound itself that's gotta be in my Top Three Favorite Games Of All Times.  I bought it back when it first came out on the SNES and I played through it, start to finish, five times before I had had enough.

I played the original Mother but just couldn't get into it.  The technology was too dated and the play controls too clunky for me to enjoy.