OtakuBoards

Deus's news from the cutting edge of science

Dan L

Since I'm doing a degree in sciences (Physics and Biochem) I have to 'expose' my self to certain bits of scientific literature every now and then. I just get a weekly magasine called new scientist. Some bits can be pretty.... interesting... others can be strange... The rest of it will be pretty dull to most of you so I'll give u a little brief outline of the interesting and strange bits.....

1- Anti gravity-
some of you may have heard this already but, NASA has decided to invest $600,000 into research by a physicist named Evgeny Podkletnov, who claims to have discovered a way to shield matter from gravity. I wont go into the details of how he does it, but he found this effect in 1992 by mistake in an experiment, and found about a 2% weight loss in the mass used in the experiment. a few others around the world have seen this effect too, with up to 8% weight loss, and research is now being done to reach higher levels of effectiveness, but no-one is yet willing to show anyone else the experiments for security reasons, after Podkletnov invited japanese scientists to his lab and they tried to bribe his technicians.

2- The Quantum game-
I've said something in an earlier post about game theory, the branch of mathematics that allows mathematicians to decide what actions a person or group must take to get the best outcome, but anyway thats what it is. Mathematicians have recently studied a three player Prisoners' dilemma, a game where there are three prisoners which can either snitch on their friends, or say nothing. Ultimately, the result is that they all snitch as this has the most benefit for the one person. However, by using quantum rules (i.e. you can do both at the same time :confused: , confusing eh....) the best result is apparently when one does nothing, another betrays, and the other does both.... yeah, now i just gotta figure out how to do both.

3- Strange new patent-
William Carpenter of Vail, Colorado is worried, because he believes that the earth's axis is shifting, due to differences in mass in the earth from excessive mining and irrigating. To solve this problem, he has patented an idea to move seawater from the sea into these empty mines, so as to reduce the difference in mass. A simple idea, but not a practical one.

4- health warning-
This has little to do with science but it's still strange, and it was in the same magasine.
Martin de Selincourt bought a propane torch saying "contains products known to cause risk of cancer and birth defects... Keep away from flames, sparks, heat and sources of ignition.... Use in a tent may be dangerous...... Never use while sleeping'....... I guess in these days where people will sue because their microwave doesnt say that it cant be used for drying their dog, you have to tell the customer everything....

theres more, but it get less interesting so I'll leave it at that

[COLOR=royalblue]Boy however you deal with all the science could kill me...but I would say you are insane about this stuff because there is no way...I could find stuff like that interesting..THANK GOODNESS there are ppl out there like you who deal with these things amd can handle it...but the stories were kinda hilarious but I love #4 best of all...it just shows how dumb some ppl can be!!!![/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sweetreyes [/i]
[B][COLOR=royalblue]Boy however you deal with all the science could kill me...but I would say you are insane about this stuff because there is no way...I could find stuff like that interesting..[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

someone thinks I'm insane... I'm so happy... damn insanity test was wrong after all...
About the however i deal with it stuff... I dont know how I do.. I just have to... I just thought some people might like to know about the gravity shield thingy.... all the rest of them stories are jus' plain weird... unfortunately most of the stuff i do at uni is too... it's so damn confusing. I thought the first one was interesting though (then again, I would).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]1- Anti gravity-
some of you may have heard this already but, NASA has decided to invest $600,000 into research by a physicist named Evgeny Podkletnov, who claims to have discovered a way to shield matter from gravity. I wont go into the details of how he does it, but he found this effect in 1992 by mistake in an experiment, and found about a 2% weight loss in the mass used in the experiment. a few others around the world have seen this effect too, with up to 8% weight loss, and research is now being done to reach higher levels of effectiveness, but no-one is yet willing to show anyone else the experiments for security reasons, after Podkletnov invited japanese scientists to his lab and they tried to bribe his technicians.[/B][/QUOTE]

Superconductivity? That will be very hard considering that somthing needs to be just a few degrees above Absolute Zero for levitation to work...

[B]
3- Strange new patent-
William Carpenter of Vail, Colorado is worried, because he believes that the earth's axis is shifting, due to differences in mass in the earth from excessive mining and irrigating. To solve this problem, he has patented an idea to move seawater from the sea into these empty mines, so as to reduce the difference in mass. A simple idea, but not a practical one.
[/B][/QUOTE]

this should be no secret, or huge discovery. the earth has has several pole shifts. we need to just leave it alone. it's in the planet's best interest, & ours.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Defcon5 [/i]
[B]

Superconductivity? That will be very hard considering that somthing needs to be just a few degrees above Absolute Zero for levitation to work... [/B][/QUOTE]

man... I didnt know there were people here that knew that.. but yeah, youre right... although i did read an article the other week about a room-temp. superconductor.. dunno if it's true or not or if its been proven.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]

this should be no secret, or huge discovery. the earth has has several pole shifts. we need to just leave it alone. it's in the planet's best interest, & ours.[/B][/QUOTE]

LM, I completely agree. It seems strange to me that anyone would patent such an idea when there is no practical way to do it... or any practical reason to do it. Isn't the earth overdue for a big magnetic pole switch or something, anyway?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zero-Sama [/i]
[B]interesting stuff...... [/B][/QUOTE]

.......:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:SPAM!:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:.......

......only kidding....

slightly less recent news...

Researchers have discovered that merely thinking about exercise can at times be just as effective as the real thing. They tested a number of people and asked them to imagine weightlifting with one of their arms, 3 times a day for 5 days a week, and not with the other. They made sure that they were not unintentionally tensing their muscles. After three weeks, there was a 13.5% increase in strength in the 'exercised' arm, and not in the other, in all cases.

interesting... but maybe I'm sending out the wrong message....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zero-Sama [/i]
[B]How does that work though?I can't see that actualy working on everybody! [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know how it works... I remember something about neurons but I dont remember the details... I don't actually have the article with me

[B]

.......:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:SPAM!:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:.......

......only kidding....

slightly less recent news...

Researchers have discovered that merely thinking about exercise can at times be just as effective as the real thing. They tested a number of people and asked them to imagine weightlifting with one of their arms, 3 times a day for 5 days a week, and not with the other. They made sure that they were not unintentionally tensing their muscles. After three weeks, there was a 13.5% increase in strength in the 'exercised' arm, and not in the other, in all cases.

interesting... but maybe I'm sending out the wrong message.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well they say if you put your mind to something you can do anything........