OtakuBoards

Machete (Chop! Chop!)

Heaven's Cloud

[color=indigo]I donâ??t like to plan my weekends in advance but I am pretty sure that
a portion of it will be spent in a dark theater munching on some butter laced popcorn
because [b]Machete[/b] hits theaters on the 3rd.

Letâ??s take a brief jaunt back in time to 2007. Richard Rodriguez and Quentin Tarentino
released [b]Grindhouse[/b], a ridiculously underappreciated double feature of B-movie
inspired horror films. As much as I enjoyed [b]Death Proof[/b] and [b]Planet Terror[/b],
the part of the double feature was the fake trailers. And the best fake trailer, by far, was
[b]Machete[/b].

Obviously Richard Rodriguez (who is even more of a Danny Trejo fan then I am because
he wisely casts him in all of his movies) realized that he had the premise for a movie that
could be epic in its awesomeness because that fake trailer has been realized.

Now I am expecting a few things from [b]Machete[/b]. I am hoping for a moderate level
of cheesiness. I actually think this is where Rodriguez excels, all of the Mariachi films
had a level of cheesiness that really elevated the films.

Iâ??m also expecting some weird dialogue, especially during conversations. While
Rodriguez isnâ??t as strong as Tarentino in this regard he is really good at making unusual
phrases seem commonplace.

Finally, I expect over the top explosionsâ?¦just because I like them.[/color]

With [b]Machette[/b] coming out I'm feeling myself getting left behind by all the flicks I wanted to watch.  The latest installment of the [b]Resident Evil[/b] series is also coming out and I have yet to see the [b]Expendables [/b]so it's going to be a hassle to find time to watch it.  But, judging from the trailers, Machette will probably be worth the effort.

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='02 September 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1283464798' post='700170']
With [b]Machette[/b] coming out I'm feeling myself getting left behind by all the flicks I wanted to watch.  The latest installment of the [b]Resident Evil[/b] series is also coming out and I have yet to see the [b]Expendables [/b]so it's going to be a hassle to find time to watch it.  But, judging from the trailers, Machette will probably be worth the effort.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]I feel your pain. I wanted to go see Scott Pilgrim last weekend but, due to abysmal local ticket sales for the movie, it has been taken out of all the nearby theaters. Besides, [b]Machete[/b] has to be worthwhile for Danny Trejo alone (he is a MexiCan!).[/color]

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='02 September 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1283484072' post='700183']
Eh? Underappreciated? Way too many people thought both/either of the films were oh-so-awesome. Just as an example of the general opinion: they both score 7+/10 over at imdb and the set scores 80%+ at Rotten Tomatoes. Wherever you got the idea that they're underappreciated is a mystery to me. Completely aside from the fact that any appreciation given to most of either films is overappreciation in itself.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]I don't know why you find it a mystery, it doesn't take Scooby and the gang to recognize that ticket sales and DVD sales for both films were a bust. Okay, a few dozen critics enjoyed the films. Critics enjoy lots of things that are under appreciated by the masses. Most critics relish loving things that most people despise, like silent films about gay cowboys eating pudding.

If you didn't dig them that is cool, maybe B movies and throw backs aren't your thing. However, Harvey Wienstien and Tarentino have both stated that the movie was a flop. If everyone that sees a movie enjoys it that is great. But if only a handful of people see it, it is hard to say that the masses appreciate the film.[/color]

the two were okay movies... i went to see it in theater with a group of friends and we all had a good time, but the only thing i have watched again was those trailers at the beginning... neither film struck me as a good B-movie because the plots were so ordinary. a good B-movie in my opinion is an over the top, creative and funny without meaning it being intentional or forced. (my favorite would have to be the original Toxic Avenger)
planet terror was cheesy, but at the wrong times. its dialogue was purposefully bad "you dint tell me you were El Ray" comes to mind. and the protagonist force was completely run of the mill. deathproff just got boring at times, plain and simple.

Machete was kind of life changing. There's so much to love about this movie - Jessica Alba, Violence, Social Commentary, Boobs... honestly I don't know where to start. Robert Rodriguez is a master of his craft, and this film works as both a parody of and love letter to B-Movie schlock. It's hard not to compare this with The Expendables since both were released so close to one another, and I feel like Machete is the better of the two. For one it doesn't over-rely on its cast to thrill the audience, and the action here is top notch. It also balances intense gore with genuinely hilarious moments, something which The Expendables was sorely lacking in.

Also: As stupid as this sounds, I think Machete handled its message about illegal immigration pretty tastefully.

[b]Tres Sideways Fist Bumps[/b]

- Shy

It's not to be released over here until late November. This is very upsetting. However, I did just watch [b]Piranha 3D[/b], which was pure ridiculous entertainment. Although the 3D was unnecessary. And following the awesomeness that was [b]The Expendables[/b], [b]Predators[/b] not to mention the upcoming [b]Hobo with a Shotgun[/b], I think it's safe to say that cinema finally appeals to me again. For the last few years, there's been nothing that's really whipped me into a cinema going frenzy, but this recent batch of films have certainly made up for that. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy more high brow movies too, but for me, going to the cinema was more than the film. Does that make sense? I guess I like turn-your-brain-off stuff on the big screen, and everything else from the comfort of my living room.

But yeah; [b]Machete[/b]! Cannot wait! Especially looking forwards to seeing Steven Segal. I'm not sure which I'd rather: A return to ass-kicking form, or the past his prime joke that he became in later years. And Trejo always delivers the goods. Alba and Rodriguez are hotties. And then the promise of scores of over the top, gory action set pieces. As much as I can't wait, I will not watch this online; it's a film that I [i]will[/i] watch on the big screen.