OtakuBoards

OnLive system?

XxIchirouxX

Hey everyone, I have been hearing mixed review about the new OnLive gaming system, I was wondering what some of your opinions on it were. If you don't know what the OnLive system is go [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive"]Here[/url]. I think it sounds pretty alright for a hundred dollar system, though it doesn't have many games yet. You think it'll go anywhere?

I have heard of these sites before. from what I hear the quality of the games are fine, so long as your computer can handle them.
they seem to have an okay selection as well... but the games they have are a few good ones, not a giant library... if you really want the chance to play all the games ever without buying them, go with game-fly.

I dislike how they deal with DLC in onlive. making you pay the full purchase price on downloadable content that you don't even own is crazy to me.
anyways this is perfect if you really want to play a couple games like Mass effect 2 assasins creed and borderlands, but you don't already have an xbox 360.
they don't have a selection of ps3 or wii games so its targeting the audience of people who like xbox games but don't have one.

as for pricing. its 100$ to start off, but its more like70$ because you get a free game, after that, the game prices are about 10$ off the new game price. sometimes 20$
however a gamestop will probably beat that price, and since buying a copy means you actually own the game, you could sell it back to the gamestop and save even more.
also the expensive hardware you dont have to buy can be bought now for pretty cheap. my suggestion to you if you are planning on doing this is dont! buy this [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/X-Box-360-Console-W-Hard-Drive-/250744169872?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a61846590"]LINK![/url]
setting up an ebay account is as difficult as starting up the Onlive one... and this one you may be able to use again.
with the new Xbox 360 that came out, people are selling off their old ones. like the link that I posted. this one has all you would need to play, and starting bid is around 80 dollars, which you can probably get since the market is flooded. the product is covered by Ebay's policy so if it doesn't work, you can return it for all money back... but this is how I got my Xbox and it works fine for me. if you do this you have your own console... which you could sell if you get bored(you do have an ebay account now!)... buy your own games,out of all the games not just the single player ones on Onlive... and then not have to worry about the game quality on your computer.

but this is just a suggestion. honestly if you like how onlive works... well, that might be good enough... they seem like an honest company and they do provide the services they say they do. I just think it isn't worth it when a real xbox might actually save you money.

[quote name='CaNz' date='18 December 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1292624267' post='702881']
I have heard of these sites before. from what I hear the quality of the games are fine, so long as your computer can handle them.
they seem to have an okay selection as well... but the games they have are a few good ones, not a giant library... if you really want the chance to play all the games ever without buying them, go with game-fly.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I'm not sure what you mean here - what has your computer got to do with anything?

My understanding of OnLive is that the software is all run on a powerful server and the video and sound are streamed to your television over the Internet. So as far as I know, part of the benefit of OnLive is that you aren't actually running [i]any[/i] software in your home - you therefore never need to upgrade your computer hardware or upgrade your console (since the servers themselves are upgraded by OnLive as required).

From what little I've read about OnLive, it's a clever idea. And potentially, this is where all gaming will end up going (and perhaps all software in general). That is to say, we could end up running most software "in the cloud".

Having said that, the biggest issue for me is that my Internet isn't really fast enough to stream everything smoothly. I think you'd need pretty fast Internet to be comfortable replacing your existing consoles with this machine.

But certainly, the concept is great, although possibly a bit before its time. A few people have reviewed it and it seems to all work quite well - but again, you just need to make sure you have that fast Internet connection. If your 'net goes down, your game ends...which kind of sucks.

So yeah, I won't be buying one anytime soon, but I really hope OnLive does well. It would be a really great competitor for the big players.[/font]