OtakuBoards

Violations of the lost souls of the seas

Inuyasha Fandom

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are you fascinated by the shipwrecks of yore?

• yes
    • no
    • depends on the vessel

So... I was reading about what some salvagers, treasure hunters, and divers do to the remains of the people who are lost at sea when they discover wrecks. It's horrible! The wedding ring removed from the skeleton of a person who died aboard the SS Superior City when it went down is a prime example. Why is so little care given to these people? I, for one, wouldn't some treasure hunting ***** thieving my wedding ring, for the world to see it. It's almost like a mockery of how the person died. I mean, there was no effort in trying to locate the widow of the poor sailor, in order to give the ring to her. That would be understandable, but there was no such thing. Instead, it just went right into a museum. That angers me. Alot.

And then there's the pilfering of relics from shipwrecks like the Titanic. I don't really care about plates and china and wine casks and that crap. But the boots that lay side by side I do. They mark the remains of where a person once lied there on the bottom of the ocean floor. To bring something like that up is to defile someone's final resting place. The ship itself is also just that, a mass, watery grave. It's all fine and dandy to explore it, I don't think the victims would mind visitors. I wouldn't. But to remove things from the rooms is. Look, but don't touch, you know?

But, then there's the dismantling and discarding of ships with no regard as to the men and women who died on them, the USS LST-480 and the other vessels which burned in the West Point Loch. No one knows about these other victims of Pearl Harbor because it was deemed top secret until 1960. That aspect I could care less about. But, then the ships involved in that accident were all just cut up and dumped into the ocean, with no heed as to just what had happened.

But, my rant doesn't end there. So many people just don't seem to care about the lost liners of the times, or they mock the wreck and the deaths of those on board. These queens of the ocean are doomed to be forgotten, lying broken on the ocean bottom, remembered only by those who survived them. Obsurity is something that is and never was deserved by these luxurious floating palaces. Ships like the Montana and the City of Taunton were abandoned to just waste away at the mercy of the waves when they ran aground. And countless other great ocean liners were doomed to just be cut up and sold for scrap. Why do we let this happen? These ships were the icons of a time in history when their decadence was unprecidented. And yet, we allow their mindless destruction, and for them to remain but names in log books. You would think they could remain as floating hotels or just museums, testimony to a once great era in luxury travel.

What do you guys think?