OtakuBoards

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Sangome

[quote name='Felix the Cat' timestamp='1301314278' post='706015']
That was my opinion as well, I found it pretty lame that they basically eradicated Nightmare Moon from the series that quickly. I mean it made the start unbelievably awesome but I was a little disappointed that the action-y mood was entirely gone afterwards.
[/quote]

[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4b0082"]Yeah, it was pretty damn anti-climactic, it was almost as if Nightmare Moon went through puberty or something... she got over everything that fast... -rage-

[/color][/font]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][color="#9932CC"]Well, like I said, Faust [i]wanted[/i] it to be a magical girl show; Hasbro just wouldn't let her. Although that doesn't really explain why the main conflict is resolved so quickly like that...I guess to avoid an unnecessary cliffhanger? I dunno.[/color][/font] Edited by Sangome

I think it's to push the focus a lot more on friendship lessons which they are, whilst trying to be subtle about it, also trying to enforce and Twilight always has to send an "assignment" of her lesson to Princess Celestia. And I think that's just easier to do with short episodic storylines instead of a longer plot, since you can develop the characters much easier.

[size=1][i][color="#C0C0C0"][Please excuse my bad english today I've had to sit through a 4 hour long english exam with about 3-4 hours of sleep and my linguistic ability is therefore quite limited.][/color][/i][/size] Edited by Felix the Cat

[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4b0082"]What I might be saying next might be a little bit off, but considering the fact that Twilight Sparkle sends a report to Princess Celestia every episode is a little bit of an overkill. I'm not sure that they'll have enough "friendship" lessons at the rate they're going, maybe give a couple of episodes (literally no more than two) for each lesson because I predict they're going to get a bit redundant and lose some of the qualities that put it above a good 90% of other kid's shows. But again, I digress.[/color][/font]

[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4b0082"]I'd like that, I really would.

By the way, watched episode 21 today... I got a bit of a Pocahontas feel from it, I don't know why. But the way the chief and Applejack's cousin fought with each other just reminded me of the "Savages" and theeeeee... Spanish? Or were they English? They didn't really sound either or look either. -shrugs-[/color][/font]

[quote name='Puppet Mistress' timestamp='1301356543' post='706036']By the way, watched episode 21 today... I got a bit of a Pocahontas feel from it, I don't know why. But the way the chief and Applejack's cousin fought with each other just reminded me of the "Savages" and theeeeee... Spanish? Or were they English? They didn't really sound either or look either. -shrugs-[/color][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]British colonials. [b]Pocahontas[/b] is a notoriously historically inaccurate movie, so I'm not surprised you couldn't quite place the accents. I'm pretty sure one guy was inexplicably Scottish.

But yeah, Native American property rights are a pretty common theme in the US. Tends to still be a touchy subject to this day, so a lot of fiction picks up on that and draws parallels. James Cameron's [b]Avatar[/b] is a notable recent example. I liked this version of the conflict more for a couple of reasons, though.

1: The Settler Ponies clearly had just as much use for the land as the Buffalo did. In most versions, the settlers just take the land for some mineral resource that doesn't perform any practical function except look shiny, which pretty much makes them unsympathetic by default. The Settler Ponies needed the land for their apple orchard, which is their primary food source. This way, they have just as much need of the land as the Buffalo, who were there first and have more right to it by default.

2: The resolution seen in this episode is about the only way you can end this particular commonly used plot without accidentally implying that the Settlers all went home, brought back several thousand soldiers and massacred the Indians into submission through superior firepower (the way it historically happened). With this compromise, everyone is allowed to co-habitate the prairie and there's no further need for conflict.[/font]

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1301357794' post='706037']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]British colonials. [b]Pocahontas[/b] is a notoriously historically inaccurate movie, so I'm not surprised you couldn't quite place the accents. I'm pretty sure one guy was inexplicably Scottish.[/font][/quote]

[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4b0082"]Yeah, I couldn't remember if the fat greedy asshat was the one who said, "For Spain, For Glory, For Gold!" or if it was from some other- The Road to El Dorado. The voice had a similar timbre, but Cortez was little more... er... you know... homicidal.[/color][/font]

[b]I'm just going to get this out of the way before I regret saying it out of love for this show. xD (I'm watching the first episode soon.)

But each time I read the subtitle, I can just imagine a certain (fictional) cult leader exclaiming 'Friendship [i]is[/i] magic!'

So who is everyone's favorite character so far?[/b]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Honestly Canz, I didn't think it'd be the kind of show I'd like either, but look what happened to me. It's up to you, though, so.

As for a favorite character, most of them have aspects about them that I like. But if I had to narrow it down, then Fluttershy, Dash, and Twilight are my top three.[/font][/color]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][center][img]http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6974087/Diminutive-equine-mammal-of-mine-In-the-past-I-have-been-known-to-ponder-the-true-meaning-of-comrade.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Joseph-Ducreux[/img][/center]

So we have the last few episode titles for the season now, and Lauren Faust has officially confirmed that the season finale will take place at the Grand Galloping Gala. Are you excited? I'm excited! I've never been so excited in all my life! Well, except for the time I-

Oh, sorry. Yeah. Finale at the Gala. That promises to be fun.

In other news, this Friday is when the airing resumes, and we've got ourselves a Fluttershy episode. Those tend to contain some of the most awesome scenes in the series, so I'm looking forward to that. See y'all on Friday, Bronies.[/font]