OtakuBoards

E3 2011

Magus

Surprised no one made a thread. Truth be told I wasn't going to make one since I thought I wouldn't be able to catch it (started working 11-hour shifts and don't get off till 5:30am) Anyway, I decided to skip the console conferences since last years were so boring and no one showed anything that piqued my interest, so someone will probably have to update me on that. However I did manage to catch a bit of Nintendo's and like always I'm not fond of it, although I will admit that some of their games on the Wii U (really?) looked mighty impressive in terms of graphic quality.

Anywho, this is what I'm excited about so far:

[b]Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition[/b] - I was trying to hold on from buying my copy of SS4 for the PS3 but couldn't make it
[b]Uncharted: Golden Abyss[/b] - I'm not much of a fan when it comes to portables but I'm fairly curious about this one.
[b]Assassin's Creed: Revelation[/b] - I'm not even done with AC2 but this game looks awesome. I mean it still looks like it's doing the same thing I've seen in AC2 (from what I've played of AC2) but I don't mind that one bit, which is kind of ironic since I was just talking to a friend of mine about how I wanted something new to JRPGs when it comes to gameplay instead of pushing 1 button all the time.
[b]Mass Effect 3[/b] - Epic
[b]Halo 4[/b] - I'm not real big on FPSs but I'm a fan of Halo.
[b]Gears of War 3[/b] - Again not big on shooters but I'm a fan of this. (both Gears and Halo got a nice single player campaign for me)
[b]Uncharted: Drake's Deception[/b] - Epic to the fullest
Street Fighter x Tekken

I'm iffy about [b]Ninja Gaiden 3[/b] and [b]Batman: Arkham City[/b]. I didn't really enjoy Arkham Asylum that much and it's made me real skeptical about AC.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I'm really excited to see Nintendo finally get a lot of third party support rallied behind the Wii U, as dumb as the name is. It's about time, really.

I watched the big three's conferences, and for me, Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft. Maybe it's because of my preference for Nintendo, but they really know how to put on a show, regardless of content. Sony was nice, but there's nothing I'm really interested in, and I think the "Playstation Vita" sounds like something you'd order at Olive Garden. And Microsoft's conference...let's just say that I don't think the Microsoft fanboys have the right to call Nintendo a bunch of baby easy kiddie games any more, after what all the Kinect was showing. It's a shame, too - they're finally utilizing the potential of that thing, but they're wasting it on dancing and flailing.

Anyways, highlights for me so far:

[b]Wii U[/b] - I won't lie, the name is stupid. But it looks pretty cool, honestly. I'm looking forward to it.
[b]3DS[/b] - Okay, I know the 3DS was unveiled [i]last[/i] year, BUT this is the year that finally has a solid lineup behind it. Paper Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, OoT 3DS, and Luigi's Mansion 2 right out of buttcrack nowhere. [Although they had apparently been hinting at it? Shows how much I pay attention]. Either way, I really need to get my hands on this thing now.
[b]Skyward Sword[/b] - SOOOO PRETTY AUGHGFJCSDFGJ. I like the way the lady I assume is Zelda looks this time, too. Very homely and cute is how I've been describing it.
[b]Paper Mario 3DS[/b] - Of course.
[b]Minecraft 360[/b] - Since I'm too much of a lazy putz to actually play games on my computer, this is a welcome addition.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1307475992' post='707883']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]And Microsoft's conference...let's just say that I don't think the Microsoft fanboys have the right to call Nintendo a bunch of baby easy kiddie games any more, after what all the Kinect was showing. It's a shame, too - they're finally utilizing the potential of that thing, but they're wasting it on dancing and flailing.
[/font][/color]
[/quote]
I know right? I've never cared about innovation (in terms of how I play my games) but the games they were showing was, well, a waste of my time. They're focusing way too much time with Kinect (from what I saw of that Microsoft Spotlight thing today)

I see one problem already with this Wii U, quite a few of the launch titles are ports of games that are going to be at least six months old by the time the Wii U launches (Arkham City, Battlefield 3 et al). The touch screen really needs to bring something new to the table with regard to those games to make people fork out for the console and £40 for the game when they can get it for around £15 on the 360/PS3.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Oh, how could I have forgotten!? New Smash Bros! That alone was enough to make my head nearly go through the roof, mainly because I had made an offhanded comment saying the next game of Sakurai's was Smash Bros, and I turned out to be totally right.[/font][/color]

Now that E3 is officially over I gotta say I wasn't really impressed with the event. There were way too many early announcements/leaks with gameplay footage and in the end it made E3 a bit boring for me. Games like [b]Asura's Wrath[/b] and [b]Uncharted 3[/b] should've blew me away, but because I've seen a ton of videos of Uncharted and the same trailer for Asura's Wrath earlier this year it took away that exciting feel. I was kinda hoping to see Metal Gear Rising but I'm glad Konami didn't show it, especially if they had nothing new to show for it.

Don't get me wrong, though, there was a nice amount of games I just wish the developers would keep a lid on somethings otherwise this may cause an end to E3.