OtakuBoards

Book 4: Balance

CaNz

I stayed up till 4am, but I managed to cram the whole season in one day, and it was totally worth it. Where do I begin...[spoiler] Toph showing up and being awesome was definitly my favorite part.[/spoiler] There was definitly tons of fanservice this season, but if it really is the last thing they are doing its good timing.

There was also a ton of gender equality messages throughout the season. Zhu Li playing a far bigger role and showing us why she really put up with Verrik for so long. Korra and Asami being awesome and never just letting men take charge when they could do things better. Kuvira being the power hungry tyrant (you get the bad with the good ladies) and even Mako taking on the never scene before role of main character male being a good friend to the main female, and finding self worth outside of his relationships.

Of course we need to talk about that ending tho. [SPOILER] LGB representation is nice to see, and though it wasn't all that I wanted... it was probably as close as a kids show aired on TV could get. I mean... they were pretty obvious. They had a few subtle hints that Korra cared for Asami moreso than her normal friends, going so far as blushing when Asami compliments her. The symbolism in the last scene just confirmed what everyone already thought might be there. They just didn't show it (or couldn't because the outrage for Nick corrupting kids would be stupidly high. I hope they come out with a movie though to give people the satisfaction though...the world needs more.[/spoiler]

Over all I felt very happy about the show. I still think it deserves more hype surrounding it. It may not be the same as the original... but past fans could find a lot to love here.

Omg. The finale almost killed me. I woke up that day to CRAZY HUBBUB on tumblr so I basically had THE BIG THING spoiled for me before I watched the episode, but I was still really excited to see exactly what happened. And I still ended up crumpled on the floor practically weeping with joy. 

I have never been especially impressed with the storytelling throughout Korra, and the final season definitely wrapped everything up too hastily, BUT I don't watch Korra for its writing. I watch it for the strong, diverse, multi-faceted female characters and the incredibly animated ass-kickings they dole out. Korra has got to be one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, and as evil as Kuvira turned out I can't help but admire her.

[spoiler]And Korrasami was just about the best thing that ever happened to me and I am not kidding not even a little bit.[/spoiler]

Edited by Saelig

I really enjoyed this series a lot and wanted more since the writing felt so rushed.  However, there was a bit too much romantic drama for me, but I know I'm being biased since I can't help but compare it to Last Airbender. 

I get annoyed with Tenzin's parenting lol. Control your kids man! XD I hope they consider writing a series which explains Ang and Team Avatar's journeys and experiences throughout adulthood... just throwin' that out there. 

Omg. The finale almost killed me. I woke up that day to CRAZY HUBBUB on tumblr so I basically had THE BIG THING spoiled for me before I watched the episode, but I was still really excited to see exactly what happened. And I still ended up crumpled on the floor practically weeping with joy. 

I have never been especially impressed with the storytelling throughout Korra, and the final season definitely wrapped everything up too hastily, BUT I don't watch Korra for its writing. I watch it for the strong, diverse, multi-faceted female characters and the incredibly animated ass-kickings they dole out. Korra has got to be one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, and as evil as Kuvira turned out I can't help but admire her.

[spoiler]And Korrasami was just about the best thing that ever happened to me and I am not kidding not even a little bit.[/spoiler]

The characters were definitely the strong suit of the show, but I did like the plot. Having the main message for this book be the hero should try to understand the villain so that she could empathize with them seems totally new, but awesome. Like Toph said, most of the bad guys did have good reasons for their actions, and led the way for beneficial change, even if they were misguided.

I really enjoyed this series a lot and wanted more since the writing felt so rushed.  However, there was a bit too much romantic drama for me, but I know I'm being biased since I can't help but compare it to Last Airbender. 

I get annoyed with Tenzin's parenting lol. Control your kids man! XD I hope they consider writing a series which explains Ang and Team Avatar's journeys and experiences throughout adulthood... just throwin' that out there. 

For being a wise man, Tenzin is just terrible with people in general. Its as if he has no idea how anyone could possibly think differently than him, and is constantly surprised when they don't listen to him. He does a lot of cool things, but man... he seems so dense at times. 

I think the writing suffered from all the books coming out so far apart. each one pretty much could have been the ending to the series, unlike  the original, which only wrapped things up at the very end. 

I think the writing suffered from all the books coming out so far apart. each one pretty much could have been the ending to the series, unlike  the original, which only wrapped things up at the very end. 

I think what actually happened is that the series was supposed to be a single book long, and then before it finished airing Nick ordered two more seasons. Honestly there was so much corporate meddling involved with the production of Korra that it's kind of impressive how good it ended up being. After a few episodes of book 3 leaked the network took it off the air altogether and only released the remaining episodes online. Since production on book 4 was already underway they opted not to outright cancel it and continued the online streaming until nearly the end of the series, and they actually cut the budget before it was done. 

So really you could easily blame most of the writing flaws on all that malarkey.

It makes sense for Bryke to want a break from the Avatar world, especially after all the nonsense Nick put them through, but since there's such a huge following I think they could easily find a different network to fund a future Avatar series. I think some fans have been soliciting Amazon, maybe even Netflix would want to get in on it. But I know the creators don't have plans to write a new Avatar story anytime soon. Nick is probably sitting on that IP anyway.

Edited by Saelig