OtakuBoards

Searching Issues

Japan

So I woke up this morning thinking that it would be fun to read all the short stories that a few members including myself wrote for Aussie James' Animatrix/Matrix thing. However I am having trouble finding it. I tried to look for it in my posts and couldn't find it.

One suggestion I have and forgive me if it is already possible...

But wouldn't it be nice to search for your posts in a certain sub forum? I don't have the time to wade through several pages all the time to just look for one post.

Another theory that I have...could of it been lost between versions? If so I would be very sad.

This should already be possible but may be broken until the conversion finishes. After the upgrade, there are a ton of background processes that need to run to get everything up to date so, while new content is behaving correctly, old content still needs some (automated) work.

For finding your own posts, just drop down the "Sort By" option at the top of the thread list and choose custom. Finding posts by others in a specific forum seems to be a bit more difficult now but, for the time being, click on the search box on the forum you'd like to search, drop down the "All Content" option, and choose "This Forum". You can also limit what you're searching against from this dropdown. Additionally, this method can also be used within individual threads by choosing "This Topic" from the dropdown instead.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!

I found the thread but this brings on another issue I've noticed. From what I can see nearly every post has been cut off or missing a part of their stories.

Edited by Japan

I admittedly only skimmed at first. I do see what you're talking about. Not sure if that is an artifact of the post rebuilding process or if content was actually lost somewhere along the way. It might be worth it to take a look at an archive of the page to compare. Avoid modifying any of it for now though, just in case.

Okay, so I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that the content that's missing from those posts is, in fact, gone. It seems the conversion from BB code to HTML stripped the custom formatting that was present in these posts.

The good nows is that I have a pre-conversion backup of the entire database and have successfully mounted it on my own home server and that content is still present. Once the conversion is finished, I'll play with some settings and then update the posts on the live version using the content from the backup. That should, hopefully, restore the content and trigger another conversion which won't break the posts with the right settings. This is all speculation at the moment but since I have backups of both the live and archived data, the worst case scenario if a few hours of downtime.

One way or another, I'll fix this.