OtakuBoards

Discord as an alternative to community chat?

ÜberKiller

Discord for now poll  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's a discord? A verb, right?

I am suggesting a change to the old 'theO Chat' and instead use a Discord server for this instead. Since theO chat is on an indefinite haitus for the time being, this would at least serve as a nice holdover for the time being.

For explaination about what discord is, it's a chat-based service that allows for multiple sections to discuss, similar to how a forums board is (Or more closely teamspeak). It's also able to be used inside of the web, and all it takes is making a new chatroom and you can hold a whole community inside.

It's worked in communities with resounding success (like subreddits on reddit) and I think this could have some new potential.

Dunno if this has been suggested before, so I apologise if mine is too close to another. Was a bit lazy to check. :sleep:

I actually run a Discord server for my own networks and it works very well for that purpose. That said, suggestions here are really only for OB - I don't really influence what happens on theO. I was originally hosting the chat server for theO as well but that was mostly coincidence. The server I was hosting it on was upgraded and Adam never really got back to me with a plan to move the chat server elsewhere so that's kind of up in the air at the moment.

For those interested though, my server is available via this link: https://discord.gg/0WTVjuJzSaZQgmNs

If there's enough interest, I'll put together an OB channel.

I actually run a Discord server for my own networks and it works very well for that purpose. That said, suggestions here are really only for OB - I don't really influence what happens on theO. I was originally hosting the chat server for theO as well but that was mostly coincidence. The server I was hosting it on was upgraded and Adam never really got back to me with a plan to move the chat server elsewhere so that's kind of up in the air at the moment.

For those interested though, my server is available via this link: https://discord.gg/0WTVjuJzSaZQgmNs

If there's enough interest, I'll put together an OB channel.

That was a pretty hasty response. Yeah, if the forums are pretty active here, it'll be really nice to have. By the looks of things right now however, it may not be needed specifically for the forums.

And yeah, thanks for the clarification. So OB and theO are two different beasts of community, where they go hand-in-hand yet never intersect huh? Makes sense.