Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Hey, I just got coaxed into Wrestling for next year...not the gawddy kind on tv...but the real mat wrestling....I was wondering if any of you wrestlers could give me advice...or when you joined....or if its fun or not....anywayz just thought I'd ask...
Posted
Oh man, Mat Wrestling is so fun. You have no idea. The only downside to it is the weight watching. Ya gotta make sure you stay in your weight class, or theres trouble. Personally, I never had to worry about it because I'm a heavy weight, and a light one at that, only about 200 lbs. Thats 75 under the max.

Anyways, the best advise I can give you is to start weight training early and get strong. Also, try and get more advanced wrestlers in your weightclass to teach you some basic techniques before the season, such as headlocks, single-legs, and snap-downs, so you don't walk in as a total newbie to the sport.
Posted
Ya the only problem with that is I don't know anyone, and I have no clue what weight class I am in...i weigh about 120 so yea....good news is coach allows everyone to play...or wrestle whatever ya wanna say..lol....
Posted
So you'll be wrestling either 117 or 125 than. If your 120, 125 souldn't be to hard to stay at.

One thing you definatly must do is work-out before the season. Trust me, most wrestling coachs looooooooove to do conditioning, especially early in the season to weed out an slackers.
Posted
[color=indigo] Wrestling is a great sport, but incredibly pysically demanding. Weight training is a must but so is building your flexibility. You have to make sure that you are flexible so you don't suffer any injuries early on. Once you tear an ACL or dislocate a sholder it is very hard to fully recover. Another piece of advice would be for you to get with an older wrestler who is experienced, and learn basic holds and reversals...especially reversals, because that is one of the best way to earn points...[/color]
Posted
Well I've been in it for one year only..... And all I have to say is..... IT'S GREAT!!! Really, just go for it, in the end you turn out to really like the sport..... :)
Posted
[COLOR=deeppink]I, personaly, don't like mat wrestling, and I'm glad it's over. I might like freestyle, because then you can lock your hands. >:D


lol, At my last meet, I was one of only three people wrestling on my team. We had 145, 160, and 152. I got third. It was sectional, by the way. There were only three people in my weight class, too. Three was my lucky number. ^_^


Jeez, there was a 160 guy there that was the best wrestler I've ever seen! He beat our guy in 8 seconds! Now that's good...[/COLOR]
Posted
i used to mat wrestle, till this one guy i was wrestling got a little hard, if u know what i mean......then i stopped.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo] Wrestling is a great sport, but incredibly pysically demanding. Weight training is a must but so is building your flexibility. You have to make sure that you are flexible so you don't suffer any injuries early on. Once you tear an ACL or dislocate a sholder it is very hard to fully recover. Another piece of advice would be for you to get with an older wrestler who is experienced, and learn basic holds and reversals...especially reversals, because that is one of the best way to earn points...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]


Ya my mother is really worried about my knees....I have torn legiments and such in my knees alot..from baseball....but yes I do work out already...and am working on flexibility...this highschooler I don't know is willing to come over on weekends and show me stuff if I really wanna know...so ya I think I am all set now :D to die that is ;)
Posted
Just watch your weight and weightlift a lot. One trick I think they'll eventually teach you is to circle your opponent...once you get behind them successfully and control them there...you'll have him pinned in no time.
Posted
wrestlings fun except i have this psycho partner who ripped my shirt, he jus goes crazy when i get him down on the mat. i have to keep kicking his *** till he stops. and yeah you should try to get some muscel before wrestling, itll pay off alot. its fun to hurt people :)
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DuoGod of Death [/i]
[B]


Ya my mother is really worried about my knees....I have torn legiments and such in my knees alot..from baseball....but yes I do work out already...and am working on flexibility...this highschooler I don't know is willing to come over on weekends and show me stuff if I really wanna know...so ya I think I am all set now :D to die that is ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

If you have knee problems, you sould definaly get knee pads. Evan if you don't have knee problems, you sould get knee pads, they help allot. I would suggest the Asics Gel Pad, cause they are very felxable, light, and strong.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Outlaw [/i]
[B]

If you have knee problems, you sould definaly get knee pads. Evan if you don't have knee problems, you sould get knee pads, they help allot. I would suggest the Asics Gel Pad, cause they are very felxable, light, and strong. [/B][/QUOTE]
Mehe, I've hurt my knee 5 times in 1 year..... That made me stop wrestling..... :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...