OtakuBoards

Max Payne and Oni (and also Deus Ex 2)

Dan L

WOOHOO!!!!
Me gots mah PS2 yesterday, and the first two games I got with it were Oni and Max Payne. I think they are both amasing, though I won't go as far as to say the best, because I haven't played many apart from these two. For those of you who haven't heard of one/both of these games, Max Pyne is a game in a third person style, and the main character can enter bullet time. Bullet time is a very slowed down form of time, the same as that in the Matrix. It also follows a graphic novel storyline, where every now and then the story is told in the form of a comic... ermm, you got to see it to know what I mean.
And Oni is a kind of anime-3d graphics hybrid, where you use hand to hand combat and weapons. The controls are very similar, if not nearl the same, as Max Payne. Which helps, cos theyre a bit hard to get used to. I think this game rocks too :D . Anyway.. I just had to say that.

Oh yeah, and, on a side note or two..
The absolutely brilliant (in my opinion) Deus Ex is coming to PS2 (in the UK, it may already be out in the US I don't know) on the 30th of March, I think. Maybe not exactly that, but not far off....
Also, after ages trying to find info about Deus Ex 2, all I got was a lot of repeated stuff about the early days of production. The general idea I got was this--

1- Deus Ex 2 will be much more interactive than the original (in terms of surroundings), as the producers are attempting to bring the game as close to the real world as possible.

2- The developers intend to give a much broader number of options in how to complete the game- they intend for the game to be possible to beat without killing anyone, for example.

3- It is intended that the game will be much less scripted than the original-- meaning that the outcome is far more up to you, rather than following a direct route for the game to progress.

but all this is about 6 months old... oh yes, and also,

4- The game is being developed for [i]consoles first[/i] (WOOPEE!)

as good as max payne is for the ps2, I must say that it is better on the pc, especially if you have a powerful pc with a good graphics card, not only are the graphics better, but you have better control with a mouse than with an anologue stick, you can hit enemies just that little bit faster, which I find makes a world of difference, and also you can see the bullets in bullet time MUCH better on a pc, so yeah, thats what I have to say about max payne, still a cool game though....

as for oni, being a huge anime fan I was bound to get this game, lol, I was slightly disappointed though, the controls are kind of sluggish, and the graphics are a bit square-ish, and it seems to suffer from slow down when there are multiple enemies on screen, which can be avoided on the pc, providing you have the right requirements....

deus ex 2 I have not been hearing much about, last I heard, the first one is supposedly being released on the ps2 sometime in april/may, but thats it, I have heard very few things about deus ex 2, which is surprising considering how well the first one done....

Another thing that I noticed about Max Payne for PS2 is that the levels have been trimmed down. I've actually found a couple of rooms that were once accessible in the PC, only to be sealed off now. Bah! I guess it's fine if you aren't spoiled by the PC version.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Another thing that I noticed about Max Payne for PS2 is that the levels have been trimmed down. I've actually found a couple of rooms that were once accessible in the PC, only to be sealed off now. Bah! I guess it's fine if you aren't spoiled by the PC version. [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah, I also noticed this, and remember the part during the bank robbery where you have to find the detonator to blow up the door? on the pc version after you planted the detonator you had to run away, on the ps2 version it goes to a cutscene of the door blowing up, why? who knows....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]

yeah, I also noticed this, and remember the part during the bank robbery where you have to find the detonator to blow up the door? on the pc version after you planted the detonator you had to run away, on the ps2 version it goes to a cutscene of the door blowing up, why? who knows.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. I have heard that the PC version (and also the XBox version, apparently) are better than the PS2 version. Though I don't have a powerful PC, and I doubt I will get an X box any time soon, so the PS2 version will do. And hving not played the other two, I don't notice these differences anyway..

Well, I'm glad that someone else is having difficulty gatthering info for deus ex 2.. I mean, I really have tried, but all of what I've found is essentially the same few paragraphs, or some page that no longer exists. Oh well... I don't doubt for a minute that the game will kick ***, so I'm not too bothered

Ha haa! I have found something of substance in relation to Deus Ex 2.

the sit is [URL=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2839140,00.html]here[/URL]

I don't know exactly how much of the info is good, because whenever I try to go to the second page (there's 5) it takes forever to go there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shift
[COLOR=darkblue]You think those games are amazing...you should but Final Fantasy 10,Grand Theft Auto 3, Tekken 4,State of Emergency...Now those games aare amazing!!!The ones you mentioned were too!!![/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Herman Nation [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue]You think those games are amazing...you should but Final Fantasy 10,Grand Theft Auto 3, Tekken 4,State of Emergency...Now those games aare amazing!!!The ones you mentioned were too!!![/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

bear in mind, herm, uk'er here.... :drunk:

FF10 is not out yet (over here):confused:

GTA3 is out, so, good point, but..

Tekken 4 is not out yet.. :drunk:

State of emergency, though it is out, wasn't realised til after I made this thread :drunk: .....

so yeah... my point is... the uk sucks when it comes to game releases....

Plus: I'm looking forward to: Metal Gear Solid 2

Deus Ex for PS2 (The game looks much better graphic wise, though apparently, like Max Payne, the levels have been 'trimmed' :( )

and others I can't remember.. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]

bear in mind, herm, uk'er here.... :drunk:

FF10 is not out yet (over here):confused:

GTA3 is out, so, good point, but..

Tekken 4 is not out yet.. :drunk:

State of emergency, though it is out, wasn't realised til after I made this thread :drunk: .....

so yeah... my point is... the uk sucks when it comes to game releases....

Plus: I'm looking forward to: Metal Gear Solid 2

Deus Ex for PS2 (The game looks much better graphic wise, though apparently, like Max Payne, the levels have been 'trimmed' :( )

and others I can't remember.. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

tekken 4 not only is not out in the UK, but anywhere in the world, its out in arcades though, so if you really want to play on it, like I usually do, go play on it in the arcades....

mgs 2 is out in the UK next friday, I already have a copy of it pre-ordered at hmv so I can get it straight away on the day of release, hmv opens at 9am, I will be outside the store at 8.30 am :drunk:

gta3 rocks, I suggest you get it if you have not already done so....

state of emergency also rocks, but is too short, and becomes repetetive also, think wisely before choosing the game....

by the way, deus, have you gotten any new games for your ps2 since this thread was made? :smooch:

[B]
by the way, deus, have you gotten any new games for your ps2 since this thread was made? :smooch: [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah... I got devil may cry, which I must say I like.. :D though they weren't playing around when they made the harder difficulties.. :drunk: ... there I was.. I went into the hard difficulty setting, then I realised I had all my weapons and health still... 'This'll be easy..' I thought.. yeah... then I saw the two shadows in the second level corridor... :drunk:.. nah... but I don't want to see the other two difficulties I haven't got to yet :drunk: ...
anyway... enough about that... I only got devil may cry cos I'm waiting for mgs2 and deus ex (Although I have played it, I don't actually have it for PC.. I played the mac version at the uni my dad works at)

Guest Shift
[B]mgs 2 is out in the UK next friday[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=indigo]That has really got to suck...i mean it's been like 4 months since MGS2 came out over here...and when i said Tekken 4 i meant Tekken Tag Tournament...i was thinking about Tekken 4...[/COLOR]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Herman Nation [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue]You think those games are amazing...you should but Final Fantasy 10,Grand Theft Auto 3, Tekken 4,State of Emergency...Now those games aare amazing!!!The ones you mentioned were too!!![/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]This thread is almost 20 days old, and I would like to ask you not to bring back topics that are over 10 days expired. Thank you. And I believe he just wanted feedback on his games, not other games that may be good. Also, I do not think that Tekken 4 is even out in Japan, much less where you live, making your information faulty.[/COLOR]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[COLOR=teal]This thread is almost 20 days old, and I would like to ask you not to bring back topics that are over 10 days expired. Thank you. [/COLOR]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

Just like James said in the Nintendo forum, threads in the slower moving videogames forums are judged differently than an older thread in..oh, let's say...General Discussion. Bringing it back actually cleared up some confusion over release dates.

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

Just like James said in the Nintendo forum, threads in the slower moving videogames forums are judged differently than an older thread in..oh, let's say...General Discussion. Bringing it back actually cleared up some confusion over release dates. [/B][/QUOTE][COLOR=teal]I see, if you are to judge this videogame forum "slow." I was merely stating that his information did not help the topic at all, and I didn't believe that his excuse was great enough to bring it back to life, if you will. But since it seems that it has once again aroused discussion, I will leave it alone.[/COLOR]

:blah:

[B]
mgs 2 is out in the UK next friday, I already have a copy of it pre-ordered at hmv so I can get it straight away on the day of release, hmv opens at 9am, I will be outside the store at 8.30 am :drunk: [/B][/QUOTE]

heh.. I just preordered my copy on saturday... but at GAME rather than HMV.... Though friday is a busy day for me.. lectures 10 am til 1 pm and a lab class 2 pm til 5 pm... and the town centre is 45 minutes away :( by bus.... so I'm picking it up on saturday

[QUOTE][i]Originally Posted by Solid Snake[/i]
[b][color=teal]This thread is almost 20 days old, and I would like to ask you not to bring back topics that are over 10 days expired. Thank you. And I believe he just wanted feedback on his games, not other games that may be good. Also, I do not think that Tekken 4 is even out in Japan, much less where you live, making your information faulty.[/color][/b][/QUOTE]

If there was a problem with bringing this topic back, seph would've said so ;) . I suppose I did just make the thread for what people thought of those games, but recommending more does no one any harm. Also, Herman never said Tekken 4 was out yet for PS2 ;) just that it was a good game, and as seph said, it is in the arcades. Plus: Herman corrected himself and said he meant Tekken Tag Tournament, before you posted this ;) .