OtakuBoards

Xbox Launching in Australia

James

[color=royalblue]Yep, not long now, folks. March 15 is the official launch date for the Xbox in Australia.

Microsoft will ship around 100,000 units to the Australian marketplace and the console will sell for $645AUD.

The launch lineup for Australia will be huge. We'll be getting everything from Halo and Project Gotham Racing to Jet Set Radio Future and Dead or Alive 3.

I'm just wondering who is planning on purchasing an Xbox on March 15...and what games are you planning on buying?

Also, what do you think of the Xbox advertising in Australia?

Funnily enough, most of the advertising seems to have taken place during the last two months of 2001...when there was an Xbox ad on TV nearly every five minutes. Things seem to be much quieter in March so far (as well as in February), where hardly any Xbox ads were seen on TV. Rather, Microsoft Australia seems to be focusing on in-store advertising and promotion.

However I am sure that we will see some huge Xbox advertising around launch day.

For those who haven't seen many Aussie ads, I've included a small magazine ad from this month's Hyper (Hyper being Australia's largest multiformat gaming magazine). It's subtle, yet very cool.

Note: It looks a bit awkward because I tried to squash my magazine inside the flatbed scanner. lol[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Hey James, are the Australians getting the improved Japanese controller designs or are you stuck with the awkward American ones? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]We're getting the pathetic American version. :(

However, thankfully there are a number of great third party alternatives coming out.

Though even the Japanese controller is pretty poor from what I've read...oh well.[/color]

Guest Jabroni3:16
You know i haven't been having any problems with the controller, it looks to me that the Japanese controller would be more awkward than the American one. The controller isn't as bad as people are trying to make it out to be.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jabroni3:16 [/i]
[B]You know i haven't been having any problems with the controller, it looks to me that the Japanese controller would be more awkward than the American one. The controller isn't as bad as people are trying to make it out to be. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Well, that's subjective. You must obviously have fairly large hands, as even here in Australia, a lot of the magazines have been critical of the controller due to its size and poor functionality.

Anyway, let's get back onto the topic.

I haven't seen any Australian gamers posting here yet...[/color]

[color=green]Well at the moment I'm not allowed to get it. It looks really kewl from all the advertisement I've seen in the newspaper. The only problem [i]I[/i] have a problem with is the size of it. The actual console I mean.

They say it's the size of a VCR. Though, in an Xbox Pro magazine I got today, it says the size of it is 21.5sm high, and 45cm long. Is this true? ....because I don't think it is.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B][color=green]Well at the moment I'm not allowed to get it. It looks really kewl from all the advertisement I've seen in the newspaper. The only problem [i]I[/i] have a problem with is the size of it. The actual console I mean.

They say it's the size of a VCR. Though, in an Xbox Pro magazine I got today, it says the size of it is 21.5sm high, and 45cm long. Is this true? ....because I don't think it is.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I don't think it's that big at all...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]I don't think it's that big at all...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson] The X box is huge o.0;... Isnt it?

Or is my vison like really screwed or something... It seems considerably larger than the Gamecube, and still slightly larger than the PS2.

At least the store display ones.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B]

[color=crimson] The X box is huge o.0;... Isnt it?

Or is my vison like really screwed or something... It seems considerably larger than the Gamecube, and still slightly larger than the PS2.

At least the store display ones.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=green]Sometimes your eyes can do wierd things.... o.O;;; ....never mind that. :drunk:

In the magazines it looks big too. Though I suppose I don't really know until I get one..... which will never happen...[/color]

Guest Jabroni3:16
Why does the size of it matter? I mean it still plays games, and still fints in your entertainment center? As compared the the GCN with is top loading so there is really no place where you could put it.

[B]Why does the size of it matter? I mean it still plays games, and still fints in your entertainment center? As compared the the GCN with is top loading so there is really no place where you could put it. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]I'm more of a mobile gamer... When I go to my friends houses, which I do often, I take my systems and games so we can partahhhh and have fun at their house the whole night till we pass out from exhasution.

So the size does matter to those on the go and want to take their Systems with them ;)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B]

[color=crimson]I'm more of a mobile gamer... When I go to my friends houses, which I do often, I take my systems and games so we can partahhhh and have fun at their house the whole night till we pass out from exhasution.

So the size does matter to those on the go and want to take their Systems with them ;)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]I do that too. size does matter. the smaller the better. but i wish GC could play dvd's. :( [/b][/color]

[B]Why does the size of it matter? I mean it still plays games, and still fints in your entertainment center? As compared the the GCN with is top loading so there is really no place where you could put it. [/B][/QUOTE[color=green]Yeah, I suppose the Gamecube's size would be a bit.... awkward to me, especially since it's more like a box shaped console. I'm more used to systems that are sort of flat and long.... :drunk:

....Eh, don't mind me, I've just been thinking about this for the past.... *looks at clock* ...4 hours... :D[/color]

[B]Why does the size of it matter? I mean it still plays games, and still fints in your entertainment center? As compared the the GCN with is top loading so there is really no place where you could put it. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]No, of [i]course[/i] there is nowhere where you could put it. Its physical width is so small that it would [i]never[/i] fit in your entertainment system.

Ugh, I'm so sick of your fanboyism. lol

I plan on buying an Xbox, but it's clear to me that you haven't even [i]seen[/i] a GameCube in the flesh. lol

Anyway...enough of my ranting, I'm just sick of seeing these foolish posts.

Now onto the topic...

What are your top three launch picks?

Mine would be:

1) Jet Set Radio Future
2) Halo
3) Project Gotham Racing

I'm not so sure about the last one, as PGR has been criticized for being fairly average in some areas, while great in others.

But the other two are sure bets (especially for Halo's multiplayer mode, which is very cool).[/color]

the Xbox was released here in the UK last week, though I still do not plan on buying a £300 console, too damn expensive, I'll wait for a price drop....

but the games that are catching my eye are halo and JSR Future....

I am hugely disappointed with DOA3, I played it and found it to be extremely similar to DOA2, I don't know why Tecmo even bothered....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]I am hugely disappointed with DOA3, I played it and found it to be extremely similar to DOA2, I don't know why Tecmo even bothered.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Earth to Sephiroth, almost every Virtua Fighter is almost the same as it's predecessor but with the addition of new stages and two new characters. Granted Virtua Fighter 3 added a bit more, but for the worse.

Anyway, the gameplay in DOA2 was spot on to begin with, but the addition of endings and new moves to DOA3 freshened things up a bit. I wonder if Australia got the new costumes and such though. It would have spiced it up a bit more.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

Yeah, Earth to Sephiroth, almost every Virtua Fighter is almost the same as it's predecessor but with the addition of new stages and two new characters. Granted Virtua Fighter 3 added a bit more, but for the worse.

Anyway, the gameplay in DOA2 was spot on to begin with, but the addition of endings and new moves to DOA3 freshened things up a bit. I wonder if Australia got the new costumes and such though. It would have spiced it up a bit more. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]It is definitely a shame that DOA3 doesn't really demonstrate a great deal of innovation.

I have much more respect for the Virtua Fighter series, primarily because it started so many gaming conventions in the fighting genre.

Although I personally feel that fighting games are one of the weakest genres; not because they aren't fun, but because there is very little innovation involved in modern fighting games. They are all generally clones of one another -- it was really only games like Soul Calibur and Power Stone of late, which have kept me interested in fighters on the whole.[/color]