OtakuBoards

Deus Ex PS2, Ico, and um... GoDai...

Dan L

[color=darkblue][b]Firstly... I know I go on about this game an awful lot, but [i]Deus Ex[/i] for the PS2 appears to have retained most of the things people loved about it for the PC.. I'll make a summary of what I've read about it in certain mags... it comes out in the UK next week, Friday the 29th of March..

1) The first play (apparently) clocks up to 50 hours normally - should be enough to even keep Seph happy ;)

2) No multiplayer mode, although the makers did want to add this. The Ion Storm team took nearly a year learning to program for the PS2 as well as bringing the game over..

3) The menus have been done from scratch. Nearly everything can now be accessed from the main screen, rather than having lots of menus to wander through..

4) All the original items have been retained, except for the laser sight modification, which never worked the way they wanted it to, so they left it out.

5) Some of the maps in the original have been fixed, as they didn't play as the team hoped they would.

6) The character animations and cinematics have all been revamped, and NPC/item placement has been reworked to accomodate for the system's needs.

All in all, the game has all the features of the PC original (If you didn't play that, then it doesn't really matter anyway), and from the footage I've seen of the game in play, although there is an auto aim feature, the old 'stand still and point at the enemy for longer and your shot is more accurate' feature is still there (meaning that you have to actually aim carefully for a good shot). Which is good.

Second part: Ico

This game looks great. Ico would've completely passed me by if it weren't for the PS2 official UK mag, so I'm glad I got it.. From what the mag says, the plot is deeply involving, (and doesn't have the ridiculous plot twists at the end of MGS2), apparently 'Within one day of playing Ico you will be absorbed beyond all reach'.. It's not like most of the adventure games we're getting for the PS2 lately, this is more of a puzzle type of adventure, with a few combat elements, but it is notable that on the screen, there are no power or health bars to be seen. All I can say is... this game looks unbelievable.... it comes out in the UK tomorrow, so I'll be getting it and I'll write a little opinion of it on monday...

Third part: GoDai...

All I can say is... once again I'm thanking the PS2 UK mag... for including the demo of this game on the disc... Now I know to look out for this game and [i]stay away at all costs[/i]... some of you may have a different opinion, and I respect that.. but I find it highly doubtful that anyone could love this game... I started it up, just out of curiosity more than anything, and my first reaction to the intro sequence (imagine the worst possible sarcastic impression of a ninja, and that's what the enemies sound like) and my first reaction was-- you are taking the cake... well.. not 'cake'... but you know what I mean... and the gameplay wasn't better either, when the guy jumps, he err... jumps, and the floats down towards the ground... the combat sequences were'nt that much better either... I thought 'surely I'm missing something here'.. then I turned to their review of the game... 2/10... so maybe I wasn't... anyway.. my verdict.. [i]do not buy this game until you've played a demo (or the actual game) first!!![/i] you have been warned....[/color][/b]

I only bought the mag for.. well.. the sheer hell of it I suppose... and I have no idea what GoDai is about... even I didn't get that bit... it's kind of a fighting RPG kind of thing, that just turned out bad.... you really do have to play it to understand just how bad it is... but I wouldn't recommend buying the game to do so... heh... surprise surprise, Ico is made by Sony, and it got 9/10.. I still think it looks great though..

Well, I have the game and the demo, and without the actual instructions, and the intro sequence, the demo is a bit confusing, as you're put straight into the game with no idea why you're there... basically, Ico (the little boy) was shunned by his village, because he has horns on his head, which, to them means that he is cursed, so they 'sacrifice' him, putting him into the large pot you break out of at the start (which you break out of thanks to what I assume to be an earthquake), and then, when Ico walks up a set of stairs, he sees a black figure in a cage, and a black liquid appears to drip from the cage. A shadow brings Ico through the wall, and takes you back to the room with all the pots in. This is where the full game (and the demo) starts. Unlike in the demo, you don't start out with a stick, yyou get it when you set the princess free. Also, many of the puzzles in the demo are just simpler versions of those in the full game, where you end up ultimately doing the same thing, but the puzzle in the demo is simpler. So anyway, that's the first bit of the full game. Makes more sense than the demo. I personally think that Ico is one of the best games I have for the PS2, but you can't really compare it to others, because it's just so unique. It's also very short. Apparently, it's only 7 hours long, but I usually take a lot longer than average on my first play, cos I just take my time.

Also: Deus Ex's release has slipped. It was going to be released this Friday, now it's released at the end of April :flaming: makes me so mad...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]
Also: Deus Ex's release has slipped. It was going to be released this Friday, now it's released at the end of April :flaming: makes me so mad... [/B][/QUOTE]

haha, I already knew about its release slipping, I actually had a feeling it would slip before they said it would :p

thanks for the info on the game, its made it slightly less confusing, lol....

[COLOR=darkblue]Personally, Ico is a work of art...pure ambience, much like myst, but without all the confusing puzzles...and better graphics. It's short...it took me 7 hours the first time through and then 3 the second. The environments are stunning and the character animation is nearly flawless. There's rarely any diolouge apart from Icos call for the princess...even though you don't understand half of what they're saying...the story line is very good and emotinonal because the way Ico holds her hand each and every time is powerful in some way. It's hard to describe...but it's a great game.[/COLOR]

I agree with Rico-it's a beautiful game. I haven't been able to finish it yet, but it is indeed a work of art. Obviously it doesn't push the most polygons, but the way everything comes together just makes it special. The ambient lighting is second to none. Also, like previously mentioned, the animation is extremely fluid and life-like. There's just something about seeing that small kid fend off scary-looking shadows that works. After the Japanese version there was an option to understand what the princess was saying, but it was removed from the American version. You're better off just guessing though. I was disappointed when I saw how meaningless some of her words were.

OK.... now I am EXTREMELY stuck on Ico... to the point that I have actually checked a walkthrough... I'm at the point at the waterfall, where you have to go into that huge room and go along the pipes at the top... now.. the problem is that according to the walk throughs, you have to follow the pipes all the way to the rooms exit... but the pipes don't seem to go that far... maybe it's a change in the PAL version, but on the other side of the room from where you start, the pipes end half way across, so you can't get to the exit.. All I can get to is a switch which turns a piston on below. At first I thought you had to stand on the piston to make it shoot you up to the exist, but it doesn't push you up that far... hmm....can anyone help?

Guest Shift
[color=crimson][size=1]:( Man America sucks!!! I haven't heard any announcement for Deus Ex 2 in America, does anybody know if it's going to come out in America? Cause I hear Deus talking about it all of the time and i would like to play it. :( [/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Herman Nation [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]:( Man America sucks!!! I haven't heard any announcement for Deus Ex 2 in America, does anybody know if it's going to come out in America? Cause I hear Deus talking about it all of the time and i would like to play it. :( [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I very much doubt that it [i]won't[/i] be coming out in America, but the reason why you haven't heard an announcement is probably that they're so secretive at the moment, they're not even letting on as to which of Deus Ex's 3 endings it continues from... no one knows much about the game itself yet.. all you can find are several screenshots, an interview here and there... that's about it... they're just being very secretive... but Deus Ex should be out on PS2 over there.. I think..
oh and by the way... the original is just called Deus Ex, not Deus Ex Machina, cos I remember you sayin you were gonna have to play Deus Ex Machina at some point ;)

WOOHOO! I completed Ico last night.. play time nearly 8 hours... and it is brilliant! I love the ending... very sad... right up til the last second... one of the best endings for a game ever, I think... now to play it again... I hear in the european version you can control Yorda with the second controller on the second time round...